The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back. Mickey is fine. Something sharp got stuck. The vet said maybe a weed seed but he couldn't tell for sure. He got it out and gave him a shot of antibiotics. $27.50. That's why I drive 30 miles to get to him. The other vets around here will charge $50-60 just for walking in the door.
The paper actually just did a story on him. He's in his 80's but hasn't retired because he just loves what he does. Lord help me when he quits practicing!
Yay! :bluepaw::bluepaw::bluepaw::bluepaw::dancingblackcat:

Can everyone look at my post in the Grooming forum?
Hairball Question

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not special anymore..boohoo.
Last night I heard what sounded like a growling rumbling noise through my bedroom window. Didn't think much of it, it's been thundering and rumbling for days. Although I thought it odd that it only happened once. However, this morning, when my son got into his car, he noticed muddy cat paw prints all over it. This means the cougar doesn't like my car anymore, he likes my sons' instead. I feel jilted.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was complaining to my grandma about how much trouble I've been having keeping up with the housework cuz Aedan is teething and wanting held all the time and Aislyn wants constant attention. She offered to help me clean. I told her it would be great if she'd just come over and hold the baby while I do the work. That's more help than anything else. So she's here and I'm getting ready for inspection.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I realize this is a longshot, but does anybody know of a pet sitter in Ithaca NY who isn't attending the Maddie's Fund conference in August and could provide daytime-only care for a special needs kitten for two days? It would involve giving one meal per day which takes about 30 minutes of direct care (10 minutes monitoring him while he eats to prevent aspiration and 20 minutes of upright time) and other than that he could just hang out in his playpen. Any recommendations are appreciated; feel free to PM me. :)

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize this is a longshot, but does anybody know of a pet sitter in Ithaca NY who isn't attending the Maddie's Fund conference in August and could provide daytime care for a special needs kitten for two days? It would involve giving one meal per day which takes about 30 minutes of direct care (10 minutes monitoring him while he eats to prevent aspiration and 20 minutes of upright time) and other than that he could just hang out in his playpen. Any recommendations are appreciated; feel free to PM me. :)
:vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck::crossfingers:

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a new job, and I'm not getting a lot of responses. I heard once, a long time ago, that sending your resume to places not actively hiring is a good idea because they either might like it enough to hire you anyway or they will see you as a go-getter and remember you when they are hiring. Do you all think that's true? Or is it a bad idea?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This means the cougar doesn't like my car anymore, he likes my sons' instead. I feel jilted.
Tuna on the hood. The way to a cat's heart is through his tummy. Any cat. Any where. Any time.

I'm looking for a new job, and I'm not getting a lot of responses. I heard once, a long time ago, that sending your resume to places not actively hiring is a good idea because they either might like it enough to hire you anyway or they will see you as a go-getter and remember you when they are hiring. Do you all think that's true? Or is it a bad idea?
GO for it! My dad encouraged me to go after the job I wanted, not just the job that was available. YES, they remember you as a go getter. AND if you call HR every couple of weeks, just to see if anything has opened up, they remember you as a go getter who REALLY wants to work for them. Although I will caution you, if they call you for an interview, KNOW about that company!

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I just learned something new.

I wanted to see how small the smallest of the "large" cats is, and it's pretty darn small, it's the clouded leopard which is between 25-50 pounds. A large Maine Coon could slightly outweigh a clouded leopard at the small end of the size range.

I knew the cougar is classified as a "small" cat, I was curious if it was the largest and it is. According to wiki, it's the fourth largest cat on the planet. It would eat a clouded leopard as a snack.

But here's the new nifty fact I learned. Cheetahs are also classified as a "small" cat. I did not expect that. I cross verified against a cheetah conservation site, which said the same.

Felidae - Wikipedia

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah: What the heck criteria are they using?!

Margret
In all seriousness, because yeah, it does seem silly, all cats belong to the same scientific family, and then are divided between two sub-families. There is a genetic difference between the two sub-families that affects the hyoid bone in the throat. Big cats have a hyoid bone that allows for roaring but does not allow for purring. Small cats have a hyoid bone that allows for purring but not for roaring. Throat structure is how they determine which cat goes in which sub-family. The snow leopard has never been heard roaring, but it's placed as a big cat because its throat structure allows for roaring.

From what I could understand from a few sites, apparently genetically cheetahs and cougars are each other's closest relative. Someone did some genetic study and the traditional scientific classification was off in a few things. One of those had cheetahs as completely unique and cougars as completely unique but genetic comparisons showed they were pretty close in the cat family tree and shared a lineage. However that genetic comparison also showed the big cat/small cat division is accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.