The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he'll be fine. But it's only natural to worry.
Thanks. I'm sure he will be. His health is just so fragile, it's hard not to fret.

On the other hand, I still have to fulfill basic life obligations like going to weddings, so all I can do is hope for the best. :)

This is him, btw:

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg, I'm going to murder the cat.

I haven't taken him out on a leash lately, did so two days ago. And it triggered something. Late that night he was meowing loudly so I took him out at 10pm at night.

Yesterday I didn't have time to take him out. Plus he's fat and he's a boredom eater and apparently on a see-food diet as every time he walks by his dish he stops and eats. So yesterday I didn't fill the downstairs bowl, if he got truly hungry he knows there's food upstairs but otherwise food isn't in his face tempting him. So all day "MREOOOW. MREOOOW." This wasn't a loud meow, he's yowling. Plus, to make sure he had my attention, every time I got up he'd run to be right under my feet. He got accidentally kicked more than once but that didn't deter him the next time I got up.

Went to work, got home, my husband was still up. He looked at me and said "You've got to do something about that cat." I did take both the boys out, the little girls next door were coming home from church, so he not only got to eat grass, he got some attention. Back in and "MREOOOW. MREOOOW."

5am this morning, it's been only 4ish hours since I took the Seroquel, I'm still knocked stupid from it and I'm woken by "MREOOOW. MREOOOW." downstairs.

I wake up from 10am. Silence. Peaceful, wonderful silence. I started moving around upstairs, laundry, bed, stuff like that, and then I heard "MREOOOW. MREOOOW."

I've got most of the blinds open so he can see the great outdoors. He started clawing at the blind not open to see out of it, even though it's touching one that is open (the windows have a shared side sliding mechanism). Right now he's sitting in the living room next to me and "MREOOOW. MREOOOW."

I can't take him out on demand. Taking him out has to fit in my schedule since I'm the leash holder. And why does he do them in sets of two? Even though it's just a second or two, there's a pause after the second one before he does it again and again and again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's beautiful.
He certainly is!

That person who manages our apartment complex is driving me nuts. We are supposed to have an inspection every three months. Quarterly. She seems incapable of basic scheduling. We had one in March (third month of quarter), another in late April (first month of quarter) and only six of fifty apartments were inspected in June (first week of quarter), and now it is the middle of July! Her commnent was, "I'll get to it in July or August." If I were managing this place, since there are 50 apartments, I'd divide them up in four blocks, 13 units, 12 units, 13 units, and 12 units. Then I would do inspections on Mondays of the first month of the quarter. Wouldn't take more than 4 hours, if that. Easy-peasy, job done, paperwork in to RD by the end of the first month of the quarter. But then, this is the woman who threw my rent payment away a few months ago. Thank GOODNESS I choose to use money orders, and had my reciept.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Someone brought in a dog at work. Sitting in the shopping cart. I asked the woman "Is this a service animal?" She looked at me like she was busted, said "uhhhhhhh" and then said, kinda hesitant, "Yes". It was so very obviously a lie, but legally I couldn't do anything.

I hope Puddles or whatever its name is bites her. Hard. Lying about a disability just to keep a pet in your shopping cart when it should have stayed home in the first place is lower than a snake's belly.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. If she had said yes without pausing to think, I'd have been suspicious but I also would have thought there was a strong chance it was an emotional support animal. They don't get the same legal protections when it comes to access to businesses, but I am not going to tell someone with panic attacks to remove the animal that calms them. Even a dog, if someone said it was an ESA, I'd have just said "Don't let it poop on the floor, and tell the next person it's a service animal."

The way she said yes, she was lying. She was busted, she knew it, and she spent a few seconds trying to think of the downside of saying yes. Sad part, I know the law, I know I could have asked one more question, I could have legally asked her what it was trained to do. Good luck with improvising a lie for that question. I couldn't ask for proof or a demonstration, but the question itself is hard to answer if you aren't prepared. But I'm very low on the totem pole and I'm not sure the managers do know we can do that, and I didn't want to deal with a customer complaint against me if the managers thought I broke the law.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. If she had said yes without pausing to think, I'd have been suspicious but I also would have thought there was a strong chance it was an emotional support animal. They don't get the same legal protections when it comes to access to businesses, but I am not going to tell someone with panic attacks to remove the animal that calms them. Even a dog, if someone said it was an ESA, I'd have just said "Don't let it poop on the floor, and tell the next person it's a service animal."

The way she said yes, she was lying. She was busted, she knew it, and she spent a few seconds trying to think of the downside of saying yes. Sad part, I know the law, I know I could have asked one more question, I could have legally asked her what it was trained to do. Good luck with improvising a lie for that question. I couldn't ask for proof or a demonstration, but the question itself is hard to answer if you aren't prepared. But I'm very low on the totem pole and I'm not sure the managers do know we can do that, and I didn't want to deal with a customer complaint against me if the managers thought I broke the law.
:sigh: :alright::bouquet:

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone brought in a dog at work. Sitting in the shopping cart. I asked the woman "Is this a service animal?" She looked at me like she was busted, said "uhhhhhhh" and then said, kinda hesitant, "Yes". It was so very obviously a lie, but legally I couldn't do anything.

I hope Puddles or whatever its name is bites her. Hard. Lying about a disability just to keep a pet in your shopping cart when it should have stayed home in the first place is lower than a snake's belly.
When I worked at Walmart, I was told that only the greeter could ask about service animals. If the person said yes, that was that. I still remember the woman with the dachshund. She was holding it because it didn't have a leash, and she didn't appear to have any physical issues. If it was for an emotional problem, she was doing a remarkable job of hiding it. I couldn't say anything. I could only smile, say good morning, and move on.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Continuing the spine saga-

I had an appointment with my PCP on Friday. My mother had gone to WVU's Spine Center and gotten a referral form. I asked my PCP if he would be okay with referring me. He was quite happy to :)

He couldn't believe it when I told him what had happened with that doctor a few months ago. He's going to see to it that something gets done this time.

As an aside, I would just like to say how much I appreciate my doctor. I switched to him after my previous one retired, and in this entire mess, he's the only doctor who seems to genuinely care.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
When I worked at Walmart, I was told that only the greeter could ask about service animals.
Stupid policy. One of the dogs that I did get kicked out, the woman was yelling really loudly at me about how several other employees saw the dog and no one said anything and therefore it wasn't an issue. Everyone being on the same page reduces that entitlement/"someone's picking on me" mindset. And as you said smaller dogs can be smuggled past the person at the door.

People have allergies, people have phobias, dogs that aren't actually working should be kept out of nearly all places. Especially since dogs that are't working are tons more likely to chew on merchandise, bite people, poop and pee without signaling it needs to go outside, and have prey drive kick in and chase when someone with a phobia runs.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You should bring it up at the next meeting. Ask your manager if you can ask the proper questions with the company's approval.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blakeney Green Blakeney Green What's wrong with Froggy? From your posts, it sounds like there's an underlying problem causing the pneumonia.
Sorry, I didn't remember that I hadn't explained that.

Froggy has a disorder called megaesophagus. It's an enlargement of his esophagus that affects his ability to swallow and keep food down. He was born with it, and his case is extremely severe; the deformity affects his entire esophagus and surgical repair is not possible. Aspiration pneumonia is a huge risk for him.

I try to keep his pneumonia risk as low as possible by feeding him small frequent meals. (He normally eats 5-6 times a day.) Then I hold him in an upright position for 20 minutes after each meal so gravity can help the food reach his stomach. He eats a mixture of wet food, KMR, and water.

Froggy came home with me as a short-term hospice placement back in April. At the time he was only expected to live a couple days and I wanted him to have the comfort of a home instead of the shelter. He pulled through and is still kicking. He probably won't have a long life, but he seems happy for now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.