The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like we've all caught some kind of bug. Aedan has been extra fussy, had a bit of diarrhea, and he's spitting up a lot again. I've been super nauseous. Took a test today just to make sure. No bun in the oven. Aislyn has a mild fever and says her tummy hurts. The only one who seems to be unaffected is John.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been off for a week, so I'm catching up on things from a few days ago.

I would have gladly taken them back. I have no idea what to do...
I would take the remaining kitten back. No need to be nasty about it, just "You obviously don't really want a kitten so I'll find another home for her."

Wasn't sure where to put this, but this is the best news story I've heard/read all year.
Three Rhino Poachers Eaten By Lions in South Africa
Yes, I saw that, too, and had exactly the same reaction!

Save the chubby unicorns!

Considering how long it took our own ancestors to figure out that if they shot millions of bison from the train for funsies they might run out of bison, I'm not going to cast aspersions on anyone's intelligence if they don't quite understand conservation principles.
Actually, our ancestors knew exactly what they were doing. It was part of a deliberate policy to exterminate the Native Americans by depriving them of their primary food source. They didn't, however, realize that it was possible to drive the passenger pigeon into extinction, as far as I can tell. They didn't realize that passenger pigeons were actually dependent on those huge flocks; couldn't survive with smaller flocks.

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess rain isn't such a myth after all. It's been raining here for 2 days. I'm pretty sure we finally out of the Stage 3 fire restrictions and into flash flood warnings. But I'll have to check to make sure.
It's about time we got some moisture.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Would two days be enough to lift a fire restriction? A lot of water at once tends to mostly roll off dry soil with very little saturation. Same with both dead wood and living trees, there'd be surface saturation but the dead wood would still be bone dry and the living trees would still have less water within them.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The website hasn't updated since June, so I can't be sure. I know the closest town to me got 3" of rain, I didn't get quite that. But at least we could be down to Stage 2 or even 1. I do know that flash flood warnings have been issued. But is it enough to totally lift? I don't know. Rain is forecast at 100% tomorrow also.

Remember a few months ago when I was hospitalized for an abscess in my intestine? Since I finished the meds (10 days of Ciprofloxacin and Metronidazole) I've had this horrible bladder infection. I thought it was just my kidneys trying to process and didn't see the doctor about it. But enough is enough, it's been 3 months now, so I called the Doc. He wants to see me today, he thinks the meds made crystals form in my bladder.
If this is what our beloved pets go through, I feel for them. How do they mask the pain? It is up there between 8-9. I feel for cats now. And I drink 64oz of water a day. Imagine the pain a male cat on dry food who doesn't drink much goes through.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a story once, I think in Reader's Digest, a woman said that she was feeding a stray cat every day. She noticed the cat was getting plumper and plumper. One day the cat was sporting a collar with a phone number. She called the number and found out the cat was not a stray, the owner had noticed the cat getting fat and wondered if someone else was feeding the cat, and the woman relating the story was the fourth person to call and say they were feeding the cat daily.

Moral of the Story: Cats will wear "stray" disguises if it gets them food or attention. This kitten just learned it early.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not really expecting anything to come out of this fair, but my education and job experience seem pretty meager :sigh:
Sometimes that actually works in your favor, as bosses are glad to find someone with no "bad habits" to unlearn. You learn their way from day one. Seen that happen more than once.

BAD storms here today but they seem to be easing off now. Our power was going in and out like a cat in an open doorway! I couldn't even use the laptop because the power wouldn't stay on long enough to reboot the modem. Branches down EVERYWHERE!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My doctor ordered an x-ray, blood work and a urine analysis. He said that crystals in the bladder is more common than people think, especially after a mass dose of antibiotics. I thought it as a cat/dog problem. He's more concerned that the ulcer is still giving me problems though and he wants to check my kidney function since the Hospital may have lied to me in order to get me to take their drugs. But until the test results come back, I'm once again on antibiotics. The good news to all this is that because of me being so sick, I've lost 22 lbs.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give a quick update on my foster kitten. Unfortunately Froggy doesn't seem to be responding to the injectable antibiotic for his pneumonia. The vet added a liquid oral antibiotic; there are concerns about oral meds for him obviously, but under the circumstances we need to try. He is still alert, active, and eating, so the vet does not feel euthanizing him is necessary at this point. I'm still hoping he'll take a turn for the better and get past this.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give a quick update on my foster kitten. Unfortunately Froggy doesn't seem to be responding to the injectable antibiotic for his pneumonia. The vet added a liquid oral antibiotic; there are concerns about oral meds for him obviously, but under the circumstances we need to try. He is still alert, active, and eating, so the vet does not feel euthanizing him is necessary at this point. I'm still hoping he'll take a turn for the better and get past this.
Sending good thoughts your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read a story once, I think in Reader's Digest, a woman said that she was feeding a stray cat every day. She noticed the cat was getting plumper and plumper. One day the cat was sporting a collar with a phone number. She called the number and found out the cat was not a stray, the owner had noticed the cat getting fat and wondered if someone else was feeding the cat, and the woman relating the story was the fourth person to call and say they were feeding the cat daily.

Moral of the Story: Cats will wear "stray" disguises if it gets them food or attention. This kitten just learned it early.

I had some ferals I was feeding years ago and then we had a bad blizzard. All the cats disappeared except for two of them. I wondered how they survive the blizzard until one day they showed up flea collars on. I found out they belonged to the neighbors down the street.

I don't have a lot of bugs at my house except for ants. The pass couple of years we have had a lot of them. I have noticed a few earwigs the pass couple of weeks and but I never had a roach problem.When I worked in DC we really had a bad roach problem.

Yesterday when I was shopping my neighbor brought some poison for spiders but she did not say what kind she had.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
June bugs were BAD here for a couple of months but they seem to have settled down. I don't know - maybe they were migrating or something. I couldn't step outside at night without being attacked. We couldn't use our porch lights or we wouldn't have been able to get inside. I went to take out the trash - porch light off - and they were still so attracted to the light from my windows, I had trouble getting inside. They were dive bombing my hair! I know they don't bite, but they're just so gross! And I kept feeling like I had one in my hair all night. That psychosomatic crap.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
00LitCandle.jpeg

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the well-wishes for Froggy. He seems better today, breathing a little more comfortably and a bit more feisty again. I hope he continues to improve on the antibiotic combo. So far he seems to be able to handle the oral meds, though we'll have to see if there's any cumulative damage to his throat.

Tomorrow I have to go to a wedding out of town. Normally I take Froggy with me when I have to go somewhere out of town, but I have nowhere for him to stay near the wedding venue and I can't take him to the ceremony. So I'm going to have to drop him off at my work while I'm gone so they can watch him, have my co-worker give him dinner, and then pick him up at the shelter on my way home from the reception tomorrow night.

I am freaking out.

I haven't been away from him this long since he's lived with me. (I take him along when I go to work.) I hope he'll be okay, and that he won't feel abandoned. I'm already stressing out about it.

On the other hand, this is probably good practice for when I have to leave him with my mom for three whole days when I go on vacation in August...

*sigh* Foster mom problems. Everyone else will be okay for a few hours.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.