The "what's On Your Mind?" Thread -2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
people from Africa aren't stupid or "sub-human". They have brains like people in first world countries and can say "This animal is nearly gone, maybe I should be working to build the population back up to a sustainable level" and choose to not poach.
Considering how long it took our own ancestors to figure out that if they shot millions of bison from the train for funsies they might run out of bison, I'm not going to cast aspersions on anyone's intelligence if they don't quite understand conservation principles.
not because a toenail is said to be a vital component for Chinese medicine so they cut off the toe and leave the rest to rot.
I'm not defending poaching. Just saying that if you could get a million dollars for that toenail, you'd probably be mighty tempted too.

They have to increase penalties for the rich people commissioning the poaching, because even shooting poachers on sight hasn't stopped poaching.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Considering how long it took our own ancestors to figure out that if they shot millions of bison from the train for funsies they might run out of bison, I'm not going to cast aspersions on anyone's intelligence if they don't quite understand conservation principles.
We grow as a species. To say that Africans don't (or can't) understand conservation principles is like saying.....I don't know how to phrase it. It's like saying that since they were colonial level in politics and technological infrastructure just a few decades ago means they have to reinvent the wheel by rediscovering steam technologies and electricity generation and reinforced concrete and all that, instead of just cracking open a couple of books and learning from the mistakes and successes of the people who discovered all that the first time around. Just because you've never had an LED lightbulb in your area doesn't mean you have to invent it like you never heard it, you just send for the existing information. People in Africa are perfectly capable of knowing conservation principles because it's already been discovered and the knowledge has been shared to the rest of humanity.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doubt the average dude who grew up in a tiny village in rural Africa had access to all those resources, but OK.

What would everyone's response had been if it had been legal hunters who got eaten? Personally, I'm still on the lions' side.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Legal hunters for food or legal hunters for sport? Unfortunately, big game hunting for sport is legal in some places. In that case, yep, still rooting for the lions.

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Connor just stole Aislyn's pink bunny. She was laughing at him pulling it away. I couldn't stop him because I couldn't think of a good way to explain why he couldn't play with it without getting into a discussion I really didn't want to have. So now I have to sneak the bunny out of her room and wash it tonight. Cuz even though he's neutered, he still leaves guy juice. Connor's a dirty old man. Except he's a cat and he's only 2 years old. SMH

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
What about "Connor and the bunny got married and now the bunny has to live with her husband"? Or they got engaged, and Aislyn can plan a little wedding ceremony as a way of saying goodbye to the bunny.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps a "mail-order bride" for Connor?

5 day hard limit? For everyone else, is that common?
Here it is 3 days, once the animal goes to the actual "shelter," although they are held at the tiny city pound for 4 days prior. UNLESS the cat is demonstrably feral, in which case it is immediate "eradication," as they are considered vermin. I wonder how many poor, panicked strays have fallen to that rule? Philistines.

Stopped my heart for a second!
Give him 16 years. He'll be stopping it for hours at a time!

I have spent my entire day on the phone with various places, trying to do what I could have done online in 15 minutes, except that NOBODY'S systems were working right. Is Mercury retrograde or something? Why, yes, yes, we are actually in the Mercury retrograde preshadow period. Not as bad as it could be, but making itself known.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Is Mercury retrograde or something? Why, yes, yes, we are actually in the Mercury retrograde preshadow period. Not as bad as it could be, but making itself known.
Oh NO!!! Don't tell me that!! I began my new volunteer shift at the shelter yesterday!!

Could Mercury be the reason why I got clawed up???? sigh

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take Tango to the vet this morning after I noticed a strange white opaque spot on her eyeball. At first I thought it was just an eye booger on her eye, but I couldn't wipe it away. The vet did a fluorescein stain with a UV light and, thankfully, the spot isn't an ulcer. I gave Indy and Tango some cat grass on Saturday and Tango likes to rub her face in the grass. The vet figured that she poked her eye with a blade of grass while doing that. :rolleyes2: So now she gets to have eye drops twice a day!

edit: Forgot to mention that while we were out, Indy walked around the house and meowed the entire time Tango was gone. She rarely meows, let alone acts like that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.