The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
well I want a friend for Honeybee...maybe a stray kitty will show up at our place..since the Rooster that was around has found another home...I need to sit outside at night and see if any cats hang around my yard..and follow to where they nest..I want to get a kitten..I know I am crazy.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The feed was stuff that I could care less about, there was the verbal diarrhea from a few people and nothing at all from people I wanted to hear from.
I'm the same way. I only have about 10 friends and out of those I only follow my sister and two nephews.
The only real reason I check FB is for The Daily Dalek and the lost and found pets page for my area.

No idea why I get some but not all, even emails originating from the same company but from different people.
Have you checked your spam folder to make sure they aren't in there? Mine sends things that are not spam to the spam folder sometimes.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am back from a long Hiatus! Just wanted to fill everyone in on our current situation :) !

We got the trailer all set up and hooked up the water lines. My Fiancé moved here on August 28th so we have been living together since then. His poor relationship with his parents continues but his dad has been nice and shipped us a few things like snacks and other little things we might need.

We actually got the trailer hooked up to a satellite dish today so we can finally watch TV now!

We Also got 2 kittens (one 14 weeks old one 12 weeks old) and they have been VERY good do far! They are little lovebugs and absolutely LOVE to cuddle. They are both male and although they are not brothers, they sure do act like they are! They are always playing together and when they get tired they curl up next to each other. It is so cute!

I have had cats all of my life but never 2 kittens at the same time so it has been a blast to watch how they interact with each other.

Here's a couple pictures of the little cuties:

The orange and white one is named Remus and the Black one is named Sirius (named for Remus Lupin and Sirius Black from the Harry Potter Series) :)View attachment 196411

View attachment 196408

Oh and I forgot to mention how SPOILED ROTTEN they are! We decided to bite the bullet and buy them a Litter Robot Open Air! No regrets so far! I will not miss scooping litter one bit!
Congratulations on the trailer, AND on the kittens! What a pair of cutie-pies they are!

Friends? What are those? Since I moved here I haven't met a soul other than coworkers. When I had my breakdown my online gaming buddies vanished too. You guys are my friends.
And will remain so, Darlin.

I've been sick with UTI and ended up in the hospital, just got out yesterday, so you won't see me for a while, too weak
Been there, done that, wore the tee shirt out. I feel for you, I really, really do! BE BETTER SOON!

well I want a friend for Honeybee...maybe a stray kitty will show up at our place..since the Rooster that was around has found another home...I need to sit outside at night and see if any cats hang around my yard..and follow to where they nest..I want to get a kitten..I know I am crazy.
Crazy? Well...maybe, but in all the best ways!

We're getting our doors painted. Black. I'm living in an old Animals song. Actually, they don't look that bad. I have my fall wreath in the living room, awaiting my turn, and it did occur to me that it will look phenomenal against a black door!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you checked your spam folder to make sure they aren't in there? Mine sends things that are not spam to the spam folder sometimes.
Yes, I have checked every single folder including Trash and Spam and there are no emails :dunno: I don't have filters set up or have anyone blocked.

Just say that there's something wrong with the servers and you are not receiving emails from anyone. They don't need to know.
Thanks:) Should I include a copy of the email I sent so they know what I'm referring to?

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank Margret Margret . The tune (not the words) is just so familiar. But you're probably right and I'm just remembering this episode from way back.
I think Ray Bunch wrote most or all of the original music for the show; there's a reasonable chance that what you're recognizing is his style. That could explain why it seems so familiar to you.

The Great Clothes Purge of September is going to happen within the next week.
  1. First rule of dieting: If you convince your body that the starvation times have returned (by limiting calories) your body will respond by hanging on to every calorie it can get its grubby little paws on. In other words, most diets are worse than useless. The best diet is one which concentrates on nutritious food (with the occasional junk food treat) and sets the portion size to whatever feels good.
  2. I found some extremely comfortable jogging pants at CostCo the other day, for $10/pair. The ones I bought were probably a size too large for me (which doesn't matter since they have a draw string) and still weren't the largest CostCo carries. They come in a variety of colors.
  3. That red lace top sounds lovely. Do be sure and check washing instructions; some lace requires hand washing.
  4. In my experience, the official size is more of a guideline than a reality. It may be uniform across a brand name, but between brands it's totally unreliable. It fits only if you put it on and it actually fits.
Margret

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
First rule of dieting: If you convince your body that the starvation times have returned (by limiting calories) your body will respond by hanging on to every calorie it can get its grubby little paws on. In other words, most diets are worse than useless. The best diet is one which concentrates on nutritious food (with the occasional junk food treat) and sets the portion size to whatever feels good.
I was simply calorie counting and at one point I did hit starvation mode. Apparently managing about 1400 calories a day consistently while walking an average of 8 miles a day at work is enough to make the body think you're starving to death. The trick to get out of it is to increase your calorie intake to just under maintenance (in my case about 1550 calories BMR plus what I was walking off) for two weeks and then start dieting again. 14 days of intake being just a little less than outgo resets the body.

I found some extremely comfortable jogging pants at CostCo the other day, for $10/pair. The ones I bought were probably a size too large for me (which doesn't matter since they have a draw string) and still weren't the largest CostCo carries. They come in a variety of colors.
Right now I need even cheaper than that. After the Great Clothes Purge this morning, I have a single pair of jeans left and not a lot of shirts, maybe around 5-6. I couldn't purge the work clothes without getting replacements first, but all four pairs of work pants are too large, they are held up only by my belt, and I need at least two that fit. Same with the shirts, I have a single work shirt that fits, the rest are too large but I'm making do. Tomorrow is Goodwill and after I get what I can there, I have to see what holes I have to fill and what money I have left.

That red lace top sounds lovely. Do be sure and check washing instructions; some lace requires hand washing.
I didn't buy it. On clearance it was about $18, and realizing what I'm now fitting, I knew I'd need the money for other necessities. I would have needed to buy a couple of shirts to go under it anyway, so I put off the purchase.

In my experience, the official size is more of a guideline than a reality. It may be uniform across a brand name, but between brands it's totally unreliable. It fits only if you put it on and it actually fits.
Yes, exactly. Since I do shop a lot at Goodwill, it's really easy to see how one size in one brand is two off from the same size in another brand.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are trying to loose weight= UP the fats/proteins- lower the simple carbs. Stick with: nuts, cheese, veggies, meats, legumes, eggs, yogurt but becareful=loaded with sugar. I found if I stick to a raw food diet/simple ingredients my body is happier. Now this is me-I work out daily and I push myself so it's not unusual for me to soak my shirt- so I tend to stay at the 1800 calorie or higher depending on how far I push myself. It was really hard to give up crackers..but now that it's been a few days-my belly is feeling less bloated. I found out the hard way if I don't eat enough fats I am hungry every 2 hours..now that I eat cheese/nuts for snacks-it really helps...each person is individual and some people do ok on calorie counting.

For me I have to cut the fruit out of my diet-my OJ was the culprit for no weight loss-since I quit diet Coke August 2015 I replaced it with OJ and yep slowly gained..now I am trying to get used to only water. I buy frozen OJ and make it much thinner than it calls for. I am now making one can to 6 cans water...and will continue to thin it down. I can't cold turkey so for me to do it this way makes it easier to say good bye. Or just have it once in awhile...the thing is OJ quenches my thirst after a workout..and I don't like diet drinks or crystal light or other man made stuff..I like lemonade but that also has sugar..and nope I hate lemon in my water. yuck.

About a month ago I started switching food choices..instead of pasta-got some broccoli/cauliflower and eat that with meat instead...did a slow transition...bought cashews to eat instead of cheese curls...so far I feel better but I cheated last weekend with stupid crackers/potato chips and took 3 days to get over the yuck feeling of eating carbs...scrambled eggs with butter works in a pinch too.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh I bought some cat beds for pumps-ortho pads=she refused to lay on them until I covered them with my sweatshirt. this morning I poked my head into the library and she was sleeping ontop of it..finally!!! the one in her house-I covered with a towel-she hasn't gone back in there yet.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
If you are trying to loose weight= UP the fats/proteins- lower the simple carbs.
Not just simple carbs, even complex carbs gotta go. First, they are bad for blood sugar, second they tend to have a lot of calories.

Now that I've destroyed the diet I have noticed that certain foods just make me feel terrible. Problem is my tongue and the pleasure center of my brain just doesn't care. I'm trying to focus on how I felt last time, problem is some of the foods quit making me feel terrible after eating it repeatedly. Like french fries, I shouldn't be touching those as potatoes are high calorie and canola oil is super high calorie, but lately I've been indulging. At first I felt really bad, since I wasn't used to having that much canola oil, but now my stomach doesn't get all upset and icky feeling anymore.

The fats also have to go though. Like I said, canola oil is high calorie, so is butter and any other fat only item. It's also why ground beef is a diet destroyer but chicken and fish isn't.

I was surprised to find that nuts and seeds are a definite no-no. I started looking at the nutritional labels, nuts and seeds have far too many calories and nowhere near enough protein to justify it. For example the raw walnuts I got, a pitiful serving size of ¼ cup has over 200 calories but only 5 grams of protein. That is just too tiny of an amount of protein to be eating 200 calories. It's basically a snack, and if I'm going to blow 200 calories and only get 5 grams of protein in return, I'd rather be eating a Hershey's with almonds bar.

Basically the perfect diet is lean meat and very low calorie vegetables. Period. Everything else just has way too many calories and way too small of a portion size. But then the brain feels deprived, which is a diet destroyer, and you have to worry about nutritional deficiencies. So I guess it means there is no perfect diet, there is no way to get the calories down to an appropriate level without starving yourself and still get all the nutrients you need.

I had a coworker once who said that the way to lose weight is with a 900 calorie diet, that's how she did it. I don't know how that is even possible.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not just simple carbs, even complex carbs gotta go. First, they are bad for blood sugar, second they tend to have a lot of calories.

Now that I've destroyed the diet I have noticed that certain foods just make me feel terrible. Problem is my tongue and the pleasure center of my brain just doesn't care. I'm trying to focus on how I felt last time, problem is some of the foods quit making me feel terrible after eating it repeatedly. Like french fries, I shouldn't be touching those as potatoes are high calorie and canola oil is super high calorie, but lately I've been indulging. At first I felt really bad, since I wasn't used to having that much canola oil, but now my stomach doesn't get all upset and icky feeling anymore.

The fats also have to go though. Like I said, canola oil is high calorie, so is butter and any other fat only item. It's also why ground beef is a diet destroyer but chicken and fish isn't.

I was surprised to find that nuts and seeds are a definite no-no. I started looking at the nutritional labels, nuts and seeds have far too many calories and nowhere near enough protein to justify it. For example the raw walnuts I got, a pitiful serving size of ¼ cup has over 200 calories but only 5 grams of protein. That is just too tiny of an amount of protein to be eating 200 calories. It's basically a snack, and if I'm going to blow 200 calories and only get 5 grams of protein in return, I'd rather be eating a Hershey's with almonds bar.

Basically the perfect diet is lean meat and very low calorie vegetables. Period. Everything else just has way too many calories and way too small of a portion size. But then the brain feels deprived, which is a diet destroyer, and you have to worry about nutritional deficiencies. So I guess it means there is no perfect diet, there is no way to get the calories down to an appropriate level without starving yourself and still get all the nutrients you need.

I had a coworker once who said that the way to lose weight is with a 900 calorie diet, that's how she did it. I don't know how that is even possible.
When I don't calorie count I only eat about 800 calories per day. Not starving myself either, though I sometimes forget to eat. I cook everything from scratch so I know my ingredients and cut out a lot of unnecessary ingredients; my husband is type 1 Diabetic so I have to moderate sugar and fat and make sure he has enough fiber. My average meal is 200 to 300 calories and i don't snack. I am 70 lbs overweight and the only time it drops is when I use the SP(sparkpeople)nutrition calculator to ensure I am taking at least 1200 a day. The first week of counting is usually exhausting and I literally eat all day long. It's miserable.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
How on earth is 800 calories possible? A typical chicken breast is 6-7 ounces, that's over 200 calories right there even if all you do is throw a few herbs on it and stick it in a George Foreman grill. Throw some spinach on the side (30 calories), some cheese on top (110 calories) and a bit of tomatoes for the heck of it (20 calories) and that's half of the calories for the day right there if you eat only 800 calories a day. And that's the lowest calorie meal that'll give me the energy to last a few hours that I've found. And that's energy for just sitting around being on the computer, if I walk or bike I need even more.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How on earth is 800 calories possible? A typical chicken breast is 6-7 ounces, that's over 200 calories right there even if all you do is throw a few herbs on it and stick it in a George Foreman grill. Throw some spinach on the side (30 calories), some cheese on top (110 calories) and a bit of tomatoes for the heck of it (20 calories) and that's half of the calories for the day right there if you eat only 800 calories a day. And that's the lowest calorie meal that'll give me the energy to last a few hours that I've found. And that's energy for just sitting around being on the computer, if I walk or bike I need even more.
It's the way I cook. Lately my breakfasts run closer to 400 but after that i don't feel like eating until dinner. Tonight will probably be a pork tenderloin stirfry with brussel sprouts, onions and pineapple. Cup of rice with a scoop of that is almost too much.
I make all my own sauces so there aren't any extra fats, thickeners or corn syrup. Usually just with soy sauce and a touch of citrus juice or vinegar so the calories only come from the actual food ingredients.
I don't use cheese often but when I do, it is more of a garnish. Even pizza doesn't need too much cheese because of all the other toppings on it.
My total for the day will still be under 1000. Because of my soup.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said-everyone is different. If I wasn't as active then maybe a lower calorie diet would work for me but since I tend to do at least 1 hour of aerobics/weights a day-I need to fuel my body. I found nuts have lots of omega oils we need. Yes they are high calorie but they actually help lower cholesterol levels. I started adding 1/2 cup cashews to every meal - which is usually meat and veggies-it gives it a nice twist.

yes it is possible to live on 800 calories a day. Jon is like that. he eats in the morning and then when I come home and cook. otherwise he doesn't want to eat. Me I am hungry ALL the time UNLESS I eat fats/proteins.

I mentioned dropping simple carbs because most people drink soda/eat snacks and that's the easiest thing to cut first. Secondly it's not always healthy to cut all carbs. I followed the diabetic cookbook of sticking with whole wheat options if I have to have carbs. Or other options. Orzo, couscous, chickpeas, whole wheat bread/pasta, oatmeal-steel cut, long grain wild rice for example. They fill me up and give me energy all day long. But the trick is to keep it at 120 grams a day or less.

I am doing a combo of meditranean diet and keto. keto is less than 30-60 grams of carbs and up the fats/proteins/veggies. My gf in NC lost 35 lbs so far. She eats tons of berries and veggies with cream cheese and oils. Said it helps keep her sustained.

I started snacking on carrot slices instead of chips out of machine. It works for me. In fact I ate 4 eggs and 3 tbsp. of butter for lunch. Still full. Normally I am starving by now- 2pm. I could eat-but I don't feel famished. I feel that if we just do a food swap a couple times a day the first month-it gets easier after. Small changes last longer than a big change.

oh another note Honeybee brought a bird into the house Jon texted me just now...

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like I said-everyone is different. If I wasn't as active then maybe a lower calorie diet would work for me but since I tend to do at least 1 hour of aerobics/weights a day-I need to fuel my body. I found nuts have lots of omega oils we need. Yes they are high calorie but they actually help lower cholesterol levels. I started adding 1/2 cup cashews to every meal - which is usually meat and veggies-it gives it a nice twist.

yes it is possible to live on 800 calories a day. Jon is like that. he eats in the morning and then when I come home and cook. otherwise he doesn't want to eat. Me I am hungry ALL the time UNLESS I eat fats/proteins.

I mentioned dropping simple carbs because most people drink soda/eat snacks and that's the easiest thing to cut first. Secondly it's not always healthy to cut all carbs. I followed the diabetic cookbook of sticking with whole wheat options if I have to have carbs. Or other options. Orzo, couscous, chickpeas, whole wheat bread/pasta, oatmeal-steel cut, long grain wild rice for example. They fill me up and give me energy all day long. But the trick is to keep it at 120 grams a day or less.

I am doing a combo of meditranean diet and keto. keto is less than 30-60 grams of carbs and up the fats/proteins/veggies. My gf in NC lost 35 lbs so far. She eats tons of berries and veggies with cream cheese and oils. Said it helps keep her sustained.

I started snacking on carrot slices instead of chips out of machine. It works for me. In fact I ate 4 eggs and 3 tbsp. of butter for lunch. Still full. Normally I am starving by now- 2pm. I could eat-but I don't feel famished. I feel that if we just do a food swap a couple times a day the first month-it gets easier after. Small changes last longer than a big change.

oh another note Honeybee brought a bird into the house Jon texted me just now...
I am nickel sensitive, latex sensitive and citrus intolerant. In the last few years the latex allergy has gotten severe enough to cause breathing issues, the only metal I wear is in my leg. There is not a single food that I can't eat but there are a number of them that I stay away from because they cause me issues. It is what it is.
I love cooking but I hate food.

I kind of miss the excitement of the cats bringing in lunch. Sometimes I trip over things outside but I don't have any more that go in and out anymore.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep she likes to go out-she was already an indoor/outdoor kitty when we got her. She stays inside in the winter but loves to roam out in the woods behind our house..we never leave them out if we leave. Jon and I roam around outside to keep an eye on her. Plus if you shake the treat bag-she comes running. She spends a ton of time in my side garden-tons of voles/moles. Those she lets loose in the house the stinker.

on another note- kitty pics just because:

received_10210432418583244.jpeg
Honeybee demanding to go outside.

babygirl.jpg
Older photo but still lovely.

Waiting for the newer ones to upload...will update when they show up...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a big door and I want to paint it black. to the tune Paint it Black...Stones.
Sorry, had to.
I'd have been a bit disappointed if you hadn't!

When I don't calorie count I only eat about 800 calories per day. Not starving myself either, though I sometimes forget to eat. I cook everything from scratch so I know my ingredients and cut out a lot of unnecessary ingredients; my husband is type 1 Diabetic so I have to moderate sugar and fat and make sure he has enough fiber. My average meal is 200 to 300 calories and i don't snack. I am 70 lbs overweight and the only time it drops is when I use the SP(sparkpeople)nutrition calculator to ensure I am taking at least 1200 a day. The first week of counting is usually exhausting and I literally eat all day long. It's miserable.
Your body metabolism will drop if your caloric intake gets too low, causing you to be tired and hungry. I got so bad at one point that I was maintaining my weight at 500 calories a day. I, also, started to actually lose weight when I figured my basal metabolic rate and kept myself to 100-200 calories a day under that. I also lose weight much easier when I'm properly hydrated. Which is seldom. LOL, I even know how to figure the amount of water needed per day for proper hydration.

OH, MY GOODNESS! I just got caught, and have to admit to lying like a RUG! I forgot to bring Little Bit's dishes in, and the manager and district manager were making the rounds (they do this once a month), checking for exterior maintenance issues that need to be addressed. They knocked on my back door and asked about it. I went into total gush-mode, "Oh, I am SO SORRY! Hekitty and I were out here a little while ago. You know, I take diuretics for my heart, and I had to run to the bathroom really fast, and then the phone rang, and I just forgot that the bowls were out there! I'm so glad you saw them, I'd HATE to encourage the local strays!" And this with them standing right next to the Secret Feral Shelter. All that was said about that was, "What pretty fairy statues you have on your little table!" I said, "Thank you, I hope to have chairs for back here very soon." Then I came inside and quietly had hysterics. I'll just have to be very careful about daytime feedings for a few weeks.

Speaking of Little Bit, "he" is emphatically a "she." And she is now bringing her two babies to me. Tid Bit, and Sprite. I thought for a few days that I was losing my mind, as Tid Bit kept changing sizes on me, but yesterday she had both kittens there at the same time. Sprite must be the runt of the litter, she's only a little over half the size of Tid Bit, the tiniest thing. I'm saying "she" as I've only seen kitten fannies at a distance, of course, and I just can't tell. I'm going to try to get some photos of them walking away with the zoom, and figure this out. Both of them are gray tabbies, like their mama.

Other than that, the coastal areas near us are getting moderate flooding from Jose, and Maria is headed roughly our way. It looks, right now, to be too far to the east to cause anything but more of the same, although our neighbors to the north are in the line of fire. This could certainly change. My major grocery shopping trip will happen either Thursday or Friday, so I'll make sure I have anything I might need on hand, just in case. A wind-up alarm clock is on the list. I realized that if the power goes, I'll have no way of telling time at all! Not even a cell phone right now!

Yeah, the cell phone had a major mental breakdown about 3 weeks ago. I called Assurance (thank goodness for Assurance), and they said I would receive a replacement in 7-10 working days. Waited for that time, then called back, and they informed me that a hold was on the order until I recertified. That I should do that, wait a week, then call back and they would ship it. SO...I'm relying on my land line, which depends on electricity, as it runs through my modem. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH! Frustrating, but I get 500 voice minutes and unlimited texts for a smidgen less than $6 a month, which fits my teeny budget!

Other than that, all is very well here, indeed! The weather is finally cooling off. It will be hot tomorrow, but after Friday, it won't get above 84 degrees, and will mostly be in the low 80s to mid 70s for the next 10 days out. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: Time for me to be out moving around again!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep she likes to go out-she was already an indoor/outdoor kitty when we got her. She stays inside in the winter but loves to roam out in the woods behind our house..we never leave them out if we leave. Jon and I roam around outside to keep an eye on her. Plus if you shake the treat bag-she comes running. She spends a ton of time in my side garden-tons of voles/moles. Those she lets loose in the house the stinker.

on another note- kitty pics just because:

View attachment 196731
Honeybee demanding to go outside.

View attachment 196732
Older photo but still lovely.

Waiting for the newer ones to upload...will update when they show up...
OMGosh! So cute!
Some day I would like to enclose my garden area for the cats so they have a safe place to go and the neighbors can get a break. Right now I am training them to eat in my big cage(door open)so I can secure them and get them to the clinic for shots. All the outdoors are feral, some of the older ones like a cuddle from time to time but the younger ones still keep a distance.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 The last year or so I have started having issues with my blood sugar dropping suddenly.
I know it is my fault, the caloric thing I didn't do on purpose though. When my husband was diagnosed with insulin dependent Diabetes they put him on a restricted diet 75 grams of carb per day. It was really hard because he was always hungry. When I measured everything out for his meals it looked like a kid's plate so I studied and experimented until I was able to prepare meals that were low in carbs and sugar but still looked completely normal and were big enough to satisfy his eyes. It became a habit.

Status
Not open for further replies.