The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
And....I just looked outside. Goodwill is going to have to wait. Under normal circumstances I'd ride my bike there, it's only half a mile. But these aren't normal circumstances. There's road construction and by car or bike it's a pain to get to and not exactly safe via bike (I would have to get on an 8 lane divided US highway that always has very heavy traffic on it). I'd have to walk there, and I'm not walking in the dark, I'm afraid of the two footed predators.

Technically I have a mountain bike, I could cut through the construction but I wouldn't do that at night. Here's a Google Maps image of how the intersection looked mid-June, and a second of how it looked a couple of weeks ago. Easy to see why I wouldn't want to ride a bike across it in the dark.
intersection 1.jpg
20170826_193823.jpg

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tallyollyopia tallyollyopia , obviously I've never met DD, but I have a feeling maybe I can describe him. I bet he has an overactive conscience, and a deep conviction that, as a military man, he can take care of any problem. Am I right? If so, he thinks you're upset with him because he's upset with himself. He's just run up against the fact that, no matter how competent he is, he still can't be in two places at once, and he's not quite sure how to deal with that.

Margret
How do I handle that without making him feel worse?

Are they old antique ones? One of my friends moms was a big collector of cookie jars and always lined them before cookies were placed inside. I am not entirely sure if that was for the protection of the cookie jar or the cookies, but since a lot of the old ones were made with kind of iffy paint it may have been for both reasons.
Well, they're new enough to have a rubber stopper seal, but they're not exactly dated and she's had them as long as I can remember. No idea.

It was probably to avoid cookie crumbs and make it easier to clean. But old ceramic used lead in the glaze. Probably not an issue with cookies but don't drink out of the teacups.
I think the teacups are designed to be displayed, not used.

The Silver Pharaoh | Full Episode | Secrets of the Dead | PBS

IF you have their passport, this is very good. And I've now bookmarked several articles to read, as well. THANKS!
Not a problem!

I am back from a long Hiatus! Just wanted to fill everyone in on our current situation :) !

We got the trailer all set up and hooked up the water lines. My Fiancé moved here on August 28th so we have been living together since then. His poor relationship with his parents continues but his dad has been nice and shipped us a few things like snacks and other little things we might need.

We actually got the trailer hooked up to a satellite dish today so we can finally watch TV now!

We Also got 2 kittens (one 14 weeks old one 12 weeks old) and they have been VERY good do far! They are little lovebugs and absolutely LOVE to cuddle. They are both male and although they are not brothers, they sure do act like they are! They are always playing together and when they get tired they curl up next to each other. It is so cute!

I have had cats all of my life but never 2 kittens at the same time so it has been a blast to watch how they interact with each other.

Here's a couple pictures of the little cuties:

The orange and white one is named Remus and the Black one is named Sirius (named for Remus Lupin and Sirius Black from the Harry Potter Series) :)View attachment 196411

View attachment 196408

Oh and I forgot to mention how SPOILED ROTTEN they are! We decided to bite the bullet and buy them a Litter Robot Open Air! No regrets so far! I will not miss scooping litter one bit!
Congratulations! And they're adorable!

The Great Clothes Purge of September is going to happen within the next week.

I haven't been on any kind of a diet, other than a see-food diet (I see food, I eat it) in two months. My weight stabilized and my body measurements stabilized. I half-heartedly went back on the diet a couple of weeks ago, but nothing rigorous. Inches stayed the same, weight dropped by roughly 4 pounds.

I thought I was an XL in tops and a 16 in bottoms. I fit very comfortably in a L athletic pullover, thought it was a fluke. The XL shirt I bought months ago as a "I'll fit into it eventually" is super stiff fabric and while I fit it, it's a tad tight right at the armpits. The size 16 non-denim pants fit well in the hips (though you can see a panty line), however the waist is so loose I can fit a bottle of soda in there with me.

Target says that when we wear layers, only the topmost layer must be red. There is a shirt on clearance that I've been eyeing for over a week. It's a red lace top, you need to wear another shirt under it, and the lace pattern is roses. And it's a L. Well, who knows, it might fit. After work I tried it today and it fit, actually loosely. Very loosely. Well, what the heck, if I don't try, I'll never know and I grabbed a bunch of L tops and a dress, every brand I could find, and tried them on. And they fit. Woohoo, I'm now a Large!

There was another shirt suitable for work, but I hated it. It was so loose that I looked like I was wearing a maternity top and the stomach was accentuated. The girl that relieved me said that she had the same top, it is loose, try a size down. So I found it in a M and decided to try it on. And no guts, no glory, I grabbed a bunch more tops in every brand I could find. One didn't fit very well, another fit except the buttons gapped just a tad at the biggest part of my bust. The rest? I looked good. Woohoo, I'm now a Medium....in most things! (Athletic wear I'm still firmly a L.)

I grabbed three pairs of chino pants and one pair of 14 jeans, one a 16, and two a 14, different brands. I fit the 14 a lot better than the 16 in one brand, the other 14 I couldn't get the chinos fastened but the same brand jeans fit well, just a bit of a muffin top when I sat. Woohoo, I'm now bouncing between 14 and 16!

And.....that's when reality hit. Virtually every piece of clothing I own doesn't fit, which explains why I'm not looking that good in them. To get even a basic wardrobe I'm going to be spending a decent bit of money. Red shirts and khakis for work, a few casual shirts, a couple pairs of jeans, one nice outfit just in case......yeah, ouch.

So I'm thinking of walking to Goodwill tonight, it is dark, yuck, but I do need work pants. And when I have time in the next week, I'm trying on my entire closet again.
Congratulations! You might try talking to friends in the area, and see if any of them have old clothes in your new sizes. (I don't know if it'll help, but it can't hurt.)

Congratulations.
I am the same way. I dropped 5 lbs on a peanut butter cookie diet. Don't know how that happened. But, everything I bake I do from scratch. Maybe that's it. Fresh ingredients.
Last night I baked brownies for my son. I have a gallon of liquid Ghiradelli chocolate I need to use, so why not make brownies. I only had 1 though.
Oh, those sound so good; I just got a chocolate craving!

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! You might try talking to friends in the area, and see if any of them have old clothes in your new sizes. (I don't know if it'll help, but it can't hurt.)
Friends? What are those? Since I moved here I haven't met a soul other than coworkers. When I had my breakdown my online gaming buddies vanished too. You guys are my friends.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friends? What are those? Since I moved here I haven't met a soul other than coworkers. When I had my breakdown my online gaming buddies vanished too. You guys are my friends.
Do you play Starbound. I play sometimes. Usually by myself though.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm finally going to do it. Last October the packrats built a condo in the engine of my Camry. They also brought power to it. I was in a hurry and didn't look in the engine before I turned the key (the one time). Poof.. caught fire. By the time I could get it out, it took a few components, but the big one was the OBD and the fuel injectors. It will cost around $8k to fix. I'm going to call Monday and have the junk yard come get it. They will only give me a couple hundred for it, but that will pay for the new phones.

I got my son a tracphone. Used it to call a friend so that I could see if I liked it. It was crystal clear and I didn't drop the call. I called my friend on my phone a few moments after, and wouldn't you know, I dropped the call. So the money I get from the car will pay for the new phones. I loved that car.

But on the bright side, my dad felt sorry for me and bought me a 2008 Camry for Christmas last year. The other was a 1999. I don't know why I held onto it for so long. I guess I was hoping that someone would come along with their magic wand and it would be fixed. I have a sonic rat thing under the engine of this new car and won't even think about turning it over until I check it thoroughly. Hard lesson learned.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I handle that without making him feel worse?
Ah, the $64,000 question. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer to that. You know him best; perhaps it's time he faced up to the fact that even strong, competent retired soldiers are only human?

You, also, are only human. We can't fix everything for our loved ones; sometimes the best we can do is to be there for them when they run smack into their own limitations. This was bound to come up for DD sooner or later; it's probably a good thing that it came up now, and that you're involved, since it means that you now know that it's happening and can be there for him. If my take on his personality is correct he would never have even mentioned it to you if he hadn't been worried that he had let you down.

The most healthy response I've found for the realization that one can't fix everything is laughter. (This is why I keep saying things like "Maybe it's time to forgive yourself for not being God.") When you think about it, it really is absurd to expect God-like abilities of ourselves, but we all do it for some reason. I think it's because when we were children we thought our parents could do anything, so when we grow up we expect to acquire this ability ourselves. It's a huge letdown when we discover that life doesn't work that way. If you can get him to laugh at himself (without you laughing at him) he'll be well on his way to recovering from both his unrealistic self-expectations and the pain of discovering just how unrealistic they were. If you can come up with some funny stories about yourself in this regard that might help a lot; you can be a role model for him, just don't point out that that's what you're doing.

Margret

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've been sick with UTI and ended up in the hospital, just got out yesterday, so you won't see me for a while, too weak
I'm so sorry to hear you've been so sick. :alright: :sickcat: UTIs are awful - nothing like razor blades in the urinary tract to make life miserable. It sounds like you've been seriously ill - I hope you feel much better soon. Here are some flowers for you since I know you like orchids. :)

Composite orchids.jpg

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I've been sick with UTI and ended up in the hospital, just got out yesterday, so you won't see me for a while, too weak
I'm so sorry to hear you've been so sick. :alright: :sickcat: UTIs are awful - nothing like razor blades in the urinary tract to make life miserable. It sounds like you've been seriously ill - I hope you feel much better soon. Here are some flowers for you since I know you like orchids.
Not just the pain, a UTI that bad can cause sepsis and can become chronic, where the person needs antibiotics for life to keep the bacteria in check, and it can cause hallucinations and cognitive problems. Icky.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been there, done that, it wasn't worth getting the tee shirt.

I'm very sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad you got it taken care of. You know you have a whole lot of people here wo love you and are sending you positive energy, right?

:vibes::vibes::vibes::alright::catrub:

Take care of yourself, and get well soon. We'll still be here when you feel better.

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Please take it easy. Let the furry babies rest with you. Get better soon!! Sorry you ended up in the hospital. UTIs STINK. Royally. Hope you got some pain relief.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry you've been under the weather.

Those must be going around. My husband is on his second one since July. Several other friends have had them, too. Nasty stuff, those.

Just to make it interesting, he had a very nasty reaction the first time to Cipro, the drug of choice for UTIs. He's still not over that. He's taking a different drug this time and it's going well.

The antibiotics they pump into you at the hospital really knock you flat. Our doctor recommended that he take Probiotic 10 (the best rated probiotic) for a good while. It seems to be helping.

Take your time getting your strength back. We'll be waiting for you to get back.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have FB years ago, then chose to delete the account. Correction, at first I ignored the account as they gave no way other than dying after you changed the legacy setting from Legacy page to Delete Account (which I had to set, save, confirm that yes I didn't want a legacy page, then confirm a second time I was sure I didn't want a legacy page before the setting switched) to delete your account. Once a year I'd check the settings and finally there was a delete option.

The reason I did it was because I just hated it. The feed was stuff that I could care less about, there was the verbal diarrhea from a few people and nothing at all from people I wanted to hear from. The politics were crazy bad (and this was years ago), and I had to avoid FB like the plague whenever I called out from work because my husband had set up my page for me and had friended half my workplace....including my boss and my boss' boss. There was one game I liked and it kept crashing non-stop.

Well just recently a friend I hadn't heard from in a long time pushed me to get back on FB. I created a new account, was far, far more picky about my friends list, and so far it's okay. But as a cute thing I started a "Cat of the day" near daily post and would post one of the memes that I had saved for some meme thread on this site. Since then, I've been getting a lot of things in my feed from Cats Planet. I wish I could figure out how to share the links, most of them are cute. Anyone else that's on FB get Cats Planet in your feed? Tonight I saw one about a three step ladder, with a goose on the top and bottom step and a cat in the middle that was convinced the lower goose's head was a toy to be smacked repeatedly.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
if you look at that post-there should be three buttons at the bottom-the far right should have a "share" button. Click that. Then a window will pop up asking how you want to share. you can share it in messenger or on your wall or type something above it before sharing.

Me I love Facebook. I connected with so many like minded and different minded people. I always welcome wide variety of personalities. Even the Trumpers. I get along with most everyone=-the only thing we have to have in common- pets! And most all my friends are animal lovers/ most have cats/dogs or both. I never get tired of pet pictures. one of my friends in Canada started a group called Pet Pictures to have a place to share pictures instead of the wall if you wanted. There's tons of BS on there too...the block button works fabulously. The men who send me messages get blocked if it's oh hey let's get a drink bs crap. The ones that just want to talk don't bother me-just stay in your boundaries.

There's the usual bs on fox news pages and such but I avoid those. msm too. All politics. I just don't want to hear the same crap that's been repeated for the past 20 years. I love facebook.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely have a problem with receiving emails in my GMail account :crash::crash: No idea why I get some but not all, even emails originating from the same company but from different people. Google wants full emails headers of the emails I never received so they can investigate the issue but there's no way I can get copies. They were sent by a company where I had applied to a position (and didn't get). I'm not contacting the company several weeks post-interview to ask them for the emails :headshake:

I need to follow up with an organization I sent an email to last week about something but I'm going to use my Hotmail account. Any suggestions on how to write the email? Something like " I sent you an email last week and hadn't heard back so I'm following up using this email address just in case my other email address isn't receiving emails correctly." Or should I just send a new email and pretend to know nothing about the other email I sent?

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
if you look at that post-there should be three buttons at the bottom-the far right should have a "share" button. Click that. Then a window will pop up asking how you want to share. you can share it in messenger or on your wall or type something above it before sharing.
What I want to do is get a link to post here so people here can see them. No one here is on my friends list.

Status
Not open for further replies.