The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
dahli6 dahli6 You can be diabetic friendly and still have calories and good blood sugar maintenance. And something to consider, if you don't have diabetes and are having drops, could the same thing be happening to your husband?

I looked again at your expected dinner, and you'd do a lot better dumping the rice and adding more meat. While your calories for the meal are in line for a 1300 day if you ate three meals of similar caloric values a day, that cup of rice (even if brown) is a blood sugar disaster. On top of that, being diabetic friendly would actually be 6 meals a day, and that would also sustain your sugar levels in addition to your husband's.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your body metabolism will drop if your caloric intake gets too low, causing you to be tired and hungry. I got so bad at one point that I was maintaining my weight at 500 calories a day. I, also, started to actually lose weight when I figured my basal metabolic rate and kept myself to 100-200 calories a day under that. I also lose weight much easier when I'm properly hydrated. Which is seldom. LOL, I even know how to figure the amount of water needed per day for proper hydration.
You are correct about that. I eat once a day, and usually not much then. I'm not dieting, I'm just not hungry. I'm one that only eats when I'm hungry. And if I force myself to eat, then I will be sick. But my metabolism has shut down. The normal thyroid pill is .7mmg, I am taking 1.25mmg and haven't noticed a difference. My doctor finally called me for a blood test at the end of this month, so the dosage may go up. I will wait to change doctors until after the blood test.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Cute cats! I have a similar picture of my black cat Indy's ear photobombing a picture of a chickadee that I recently took. :lol:

As for what's on my mind recently: I've been feeling unwell for the past few weeks. I had bloodwork done last week, but everything came back normal (though the TSH results won't arrive for a few more days). I've been put on some medication that is used to treat IBS and my doctor suggested I go on a gluten-free diet to see if that helps at all. As much as I love bread, I'm not too upset about giving up gluten (I'm at the point where I'll do almost anything to feel better); I'm mostly frustrated at how expensive some of this food is. I can't imagine how hard it must be on the wallet to actually have celiac disease.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
dahli6 dahli6 You can be diabetic friendly and still have calories and good blood sugar maintenance. And something to consider, if you don't have diabetes and are having drops, could the same thing be happening to your husband?

I looked again at your expected dinner, and you'd do a lot better dumping the rice and adding more meat. While your calories for the meal are in line for a 1300 day if you ate three meals of similar caloric values a day, that cup of rice (even if brown) is a blood sugar disaster. On top of that, being diabetic friendly would actually be 6 meals a day, and that would also sustain your sugar levels in addition to your husband's.
You have given me something to think about. For years most of what I was making was bread or pasta.
Over the last year or so I started using rice too. He doesn't like it.
These days, the only meal we share is dinner. He snacks through the day but I would forget to eat all day long if I hadn't developed a habit of cooking in the morning.
He hasn't had a blood sugar crash in years.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that I've destroyed the diet I have noticed that certain foods just make me feel terrible. Problem is my tongue and the pleasure center of my brain just doesn't care.
Smarties candy comes in small rolls of 15 candies. No artificial sweeteners. And one roll contains just 6 grams of carbs (they taught me this in diabetes class) and 25 calories. This means that unless you have no ability to metabolize carbs at all you can get something sweet without totally ruining your blood sugar levels.

Okay, thanks to foxxycat foxxycat I think I've figured out how to share videos. Here's the attempt. If it works, I just gotta say that goose has the patience of a saint.
Facebook
It worked beautifully. The one thing that would mess it up is if your FB page were set to require people to log in to FB in order to see it, but it's clear that you don't have it set that way because I was able to view it and I don't do FB.

One wonders why the goose put up with that kind of abuse. I guess those sharp little claws weren't making it through all the feathers.

@Mamanyt1953 The last year or so I have started having issues with my blood sugar dropping suddenly.
I know it is my fault, the caloric thing I didn't do on purpose though.
Possible sign of pre-diabetes?

* * * * *​

I keep meaning to mention: Cashews (which I dearly love) are the one nut that sends my blood sugar through the roof. They're astonishingly high in carbohydrates. They say that pistachios are as well, but for some reason pistachios don't wreck my blood sugar levels.

Margret

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I followed up on the email I never got a response to. I used my Hotmail account to send it. So far no response yet :dunno: And no error message returned so the email address which I copied off the website must work. Maybe the person is currently out of the office and doesn't have an auto message set up :dunno: I'll give it a few more days and then try emailing the general info email address.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Smarties candy comes in small rolls of 15 candies. No artificial sweeteners. And one roll contains just 6 grams of carbs (they taught me this in diabetes class) and 25 calories. This means that unless you have no ability to metabolize carbs at all you can get something sweet without totally ruining your blood sugar levels.
I will never touch Smarties unless they are chaser for a super high protein meal (like 60 grams plus). I have found that if I eat them alone, my blood sugar is going to drop like a stone into roughly the low 50s. That's not healthy.

It worked beautifully. The one thing that would mess it up is if your FB page were set to require people to log in to FB in order to see it, but it's clear that you don't have it set that way because I was able to view it and I don't do FB.

One wonders why the goose put up with that kind of abuse. I guess those sharp little claws weren't making it through all the feathers.
I had wondered that myself, but when I watched closely the kitten wasn't using his claws. He was soft-pawing the goose's head.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get tested. Ask your doctor to order an a1C test, which will give your average blood glucose over the past 3-4 months. You'll need to go in for a blood draw first thing in the morning, before you've had anything to eat, but drink some water; they'll want a urine sample as well (I don't know why). Doctors don't always warn you about these things; they seem to think that it's obvious. I guess it is, if you're a doctor.

I will never touch Smarties unless they are chaser for a super high protein meal (like 60 grams plus). I have found that if I eat them alone, my blood sugar is going to drop like a stone into roughly the low 50s. That's not healthy.
No, that most certainly isn't healthy. It also isn't terribly normal. It sounds as if your pancreas reacts by producing too much insulin. It sees some sugar coming in and jumps on it, but then you don't follow up with more sugar and next thing you know you're hypoglycemic in a major way. You may want to mention this to your doctor.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
Get tested. Ask your doctor to order an a1C test, which will give your average blood glucose over the past 3-4 months. You'll need to go in for a blood draw first thing in the morning, before you've had anything to eat, but drink some water; they'll want a urine sample as well (I don't know why). Doctors don't always warn you about these things; they seem to think that it's obvious. I guess it is, if you're a doctor.
Believe it or not, a1C isn't foolproof. Shortly after my husband was diagnosed with diabetes I read a personal account from someone who was adjusting to having diabetes. He was still having too high sugar issues despite a normal a1C, and it was finally tracked down to his bad highs and bad lows being equal in onset and duration.

No, that most certainly isn't healthy. It also isn't terribly normal. It sounds as if your pancreas reacts by producing too much insulin. It sees some sugar coming in and jumps on it, but then you don't follow up with more sugar and next thing you know you're hypoglycemic in a major way. You may want to mention this to your doctor.
While I've had only a couple of bad drops since I lost a decent amount of weight I've had a formal diagnosis of hypoglycemia for years, and I suspect it started as a pre-teen or young teen. I think it runs in the family, I remember whenever I felt really bad (mid 80s) my mother would have me drink a big glass of chocolate milk or chocolate and peanut butter saying the milk or peanut butter would offset the chocolate, and that she learned to do that from her mother, who died around 1980.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friends? What are those? Since I moved here I haven't met a soul other than coworkers. When I had my breakdown my online gaming buddies vanished too. You guys are my friends.
:alright:

Well, I'm finally going to do it. Last October the packrats built a condo in the engine of my Camry. They also brought power to it. I was in a hurry and didn't look in the engine before I turned the key (the one time). Poof.. caught fire. By the time I could get it out, it took a few components, but the big one was the OBD and the fuel injectors. It will cost around $8k to fix. I'm going to call Monday and have the junk yard come get it. They will only give me a couple hundred for it, but that will pay for the new phones.

I got my son a tracphone. Used it to call a friend so that I could see if I liked it. It was crystal clear and I didn't drop the call. I called my friend on my phone a few moments after, and wouldn't you know, I dropped the call. So the money I get from the car will pay for the new phones. I loved that car.

But on the bright side, my dad felt sorry for me and bought me a 2008 Camry for Christmas last year. The other was a 1999. I don't know why I held onto it for so long. I guess I was hoping that someone would come along with their magic wand and it would be fixed. I have a sonic rat thing under the engine of this new car and won't even think about turning it over until I check it thoroughly. Hard lesson learned.
After I graduated high school DD gave me (as a grad gift) a '95, '96', '97 (different parts were different years, which made maintenance a nightmare) Oldsmobile Achieva. I had mold growing in places I had no idea could mold, a trunk that leaked for rain but not the carwash (:dunno:), and a colony of tiny ants (I think--the tiny black dots moved like ants, so I like to think that they were ants) that I couldn't kill (and I tried, believe me), and a whole host of other problems. However--never had rats set the engine on fire, not in the whole time I had the car. That's a new one.

Ah, the $64,000 question. Unfortunately, I don't have a good answer to that. You know him best; perhaps it's time he faced up to the fact that even strong, competent retired soldiers are only human?

You, also, are only human. We can't fix everything for our loved ones; sometimes the best we can do is to be there for them when they run smack into their own limitations. This was bound to come up for DD sooner or later; it's probably a good thing that it came up now, and that you're involved, since it means that you now know that it's happening and can be there for him. If my take on his personality is correct he would never have even mentioned it to you if he hadn't been worried that he had let you down.

The most healthy response I've found for the realization that one can't fix everything is laughter. (This is why I keep saying things like "Maybe it's time to forgive yourself for not being God.") When you think about it, it really is absurd to expect God-like abilities of ourselves, but we all do it for some reason. I think it's because when we were children we thought our parents could do anything, so when we grow up we expect to acquire this ability ourselves. It's a huge letdown when we discover that life doesn't work that way. If you can get him to laugh at himself (without you laughing at him) he'll be well on his way to recovering from both his unrealistic self-expectations and the pain of discovering just how unrealistic they were. If you can come up with some funny stories about yourself in this regard that might help a lot; you can be a role model for him, just don't point out that that's what you're doing.

Margret
All right, some background might be necessary here. When I was in my senior year of high school, I was part of a play (which was amazing, because the school had no drama club), but the play was part of a competition of local schools in the area (pretty much every high school in the county were competing), and DD couldn't go. Not a problem. I rolled with it. When I had the commencement ceremony for my associates degree, DD couldn't go. Again, rolled with it. This is nothing new in the family--I just don't understand why it's bothering him now.

I've been sick with UTI and ended up in the hospital, just got out yesterday, so you won't see me for a while, too weak
:alright: I hope you feel better soon. :vibes::vibes::grouphug:

I'm so sorry to hear you've been so sick. :alright: :sickcat: UTIs are awful - nothing like razor blades in the urinary tract to make life miserable. It sounds like you've been seriously ill - I hope you feel much better soon. Here are some flowers for you since I know you like orchids. :)

View attachment 196526
The orchids in the first row look like people to me. Maybe I'm just too tired.

well I want a friend for Honeybee...maybe a stray kitty will show up at our place..since the Rooster that was around has found another home...I need to sit outside at night and see if any cats hang around my yard..and follow to where they nest..I want to get a kitten..I know I am crazy.
You want a kitten? I know people. Lots of people...

oh I bought some cat beds for pumps-ortho pads=she refused to lay on them until I covered them with my sweatshirt. this morning I poked my head into the library and she was sleeping ontop of it..finally!!! the one in her house-I covered with a towel-she hasn't gone back in there yet.
I've noticed that the cats don't like sleeping where we humans know to find them. Maybe if you ignore the beds?

Okay, thanks to foxxycat foxxycat I think I've figured out how to share videos. Here's the attempt. If it works, I just gotta say that goose has the patience of a saint.
Facebook
:flail: (And by the way--that's a duck, not a goose.)

oh another note Honeybee brought a bird into the house Jon texted me just now...
Alive?!

I'd have been a bit disappointed if you hadn't!

Your body metabolism will drop if your caloric intake gets too low, causing you to be tired and hungry. I got so bad at one point that I was maintaining my weight at 500 calories a day. I, also, started to actually lose weight when I figured my basal metabolic rate and kept myself to 100-200 calories a day under that. I also lose weight much easier when I'm properly hydrated. Which is seldom. LOL, I even know how to figure the amount of water needed per day for proper hydration.

OH, MY GOODNESS! I just got caught, and have to admit to lying like a RUG! I forgot to bring Little Bit's dishes in, and the manager and district manager were making the rounds (they do this once a month), checking for exterior maintenance issues that need to be addressed. They knocked on my back door and asked about it. I went into total gush-mode, "Oh, I am SO SORRY! Hekitty and I were out here a little while ago. You know, I take diuretics for my heart, and I had to run to the bathroom really fast, and then the phone rang, and I just forgot that the bowls were out there! I'm so glad you saw them, I'd HATE to encourage the local strays!" And this with them standing right next to the Secret Feral Shelter. All that was said about that was, "What pretty fairy statues you have on your little table!" I said, "Thank you, I hope to have chairs for back here very soon." Then I came inside and quietly had hysterics. I'll just have to be very careful about daytime feedings for a few weeks.

Speaking of Little Bit, "he" is emphatically a "she." And she is now bringing her two babies to me. Tid Bit, and Sprite. I thought for a few days that I was losing my mind, as Tid Bit kept changing sizes on me, but yesterday she had both kittens there at the same time. Sprite must be the runt of the litter, she's only a little over half the size of Tid Bit, the tiniest thing. I'm saying "she" as I've only seen kitten fannies at a distance, of course, and I just can't tell. I'm going to try to get some photos of them walking away with the zoom, and figure this out. Both of them are gray tabbies, like their mama.

Other than that, the coastal areas near us are getting moderate flooding from Jose, and Maria is headed roughly our way. It looks, right now, to be too far to the east to cause anything but more of the same, although our neighbors to the north are in the line of fire. This could certainly change. My major grocery shopping trip will happen either Thursday or Friday, so I'll make sure I have anything I might need on hand, just in case. A wind-up alarm clock is on the list. I realized that if the power goes, I'll have no way of telling time at all! Not even a cell phone right now!

Yeah, the cell phone had a major mental breakdown about 3 weeks ago. I called Assurance (thank goodness for Assurance), and they said I would receive a replacement in 7-10 working days. Waited for that time, then called back, and they informed me that a hold was on the order until I recertified. That I should do that, wait a week, then call back and they would ship it. SO...I'm relying on my land line, which depends on electricity, as it runs through my modem. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH! Frustrating, but I get 500 voice minutes and unlimited texts for a smidgen less than $6 a month, which fits my teeny budget!

Other than that, all is very well here, indeed! The weather is finally cooling off. It will be hot tomorrow, but after Friday, it won't get above 84 degrees, and will mostly be in the low 80s to mid 70s for the next 10 days out. :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: Time for me to be out moving around again!
Try setting a timer for the dishes. It might help you not get caught again.

^ Cute cats! I have a similar picture of my black cat Indy's ear photobombing a picture of a chickadee that I recently took. :lol:

As for what's on my mind recently: I've been feeling unwell for the past few weeks. I had bloodwork done last week, but everything came back normal (though the TSH results won't arrive for a few more days). I've been put on some medication that is used to treat IBS and my doctor suggested I go on a gluten-free diet to see if that helps at all. As much as I love bread, I'm not too upset about giving up gluten (I'm at the point where I'll do almost anything to feel better); I'm mostly frustrated at how expensive some of this food is. I can't imagine how hard it must be on the wallet to actually have celiac disease.
Be careful. I've heard stories of people getting tested for celiac disease when what they had was an allergy to xanthem gum.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, one of the stray kittens at work died last night, and I had to handle the body. All I could think, as I took care of it, was what if someone had done something like that with Slipper? I never would have found her, never would have known--so I've been asking the regulars that I do know have cats, just in case it wasn't a stray.

People have been talking about diets, and I've been trying to change mine to something healthier. Some time ago when AWM was at Sam's Club she picked up a huge thing of cashews with the intention of putting them in salads. (Salad tends to stay an "intention" at this house. We all--with the exception of RB--like salads, but rarely have the energy to throw one together.) Since that was the case, I started taking them to work as part of my "salty" snack (I need to have an intake of salt during work, or my deficiency starts acting up) and I noticed something: when I snack on the nuts, I eat less candy and keep going longer. All good things. However, budget is really, really tight, and cashews are kind of expensive. Is there a cheaper nut I can go with? (And no, peanuts and sunflowers will not work. I think they taste awful and work is hard enough without choking down something whose taste I can't stand.)

I've also been getting a lot of what I call the "entitled customer"s at work. Examples include: "Why can't you throw a couple hot dogs on the roller grill for me? Yes, I know it's two in the morning; do you know who I am?", "What do you mean, you don't have the money in your drawer to break a hundred? I need to break a hundred?", "Well, why can't you turn the lottery machine on? I want a Powerball!", "Well, turn the money order machine back on! I want a money order!", and last (but not least), "I saw so-and-so in the station earlier. You have to blacklist them. I won't shop if they're here!" :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated: Where are they all coming from? Why now?

To add to the whining (and yes, I'm whining), the computer erased my progress on the first three training modules I completed and I have to do them all over again. :frustrated::crash: I want to get mad, but I'm just so tired.

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes the bird was ALIVE. He had the door open in the livingroom and it flew out and sat on the planter for a few hours and then flew off. I hope it will be ok..I told him to keep track of her better!! Probably when he was zzzzz!!!
:flail: I hope so! :blush:

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yes the bird was ALIVE. He had the door open in the livingroom and it flew out and sat on the planter for a few hours and then flew off. I hope it will be ok..I told him to keep track of her better!! Probably when he was zzzzz!!!
My dad had Dementia and used to let wild squirrels run around in his apartment. One day a stray cat came in and decided to nap in the kitchen, the squirrels were sleeping on his bed in the bedroom. He had to open the bedroom door to get to the bathroom and when the squirrels saw the cat they freaked! They wouldn't come in anymore but still at the nuts and seeds he left on his balcony.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

Margret
The test is to see if you are spilling sugar and protein into your urine. I don't know why they don't do a urinary analysis like they do for our feline cats..would make sense...

The doctor told Jon he didn't have to fast for the A1C test-he said it didn't matter-unless he's wrong :dunno:
I am trying to rotate my images I uploaded but they won't rotate the way I save it...gonna upload via my phone..be back soon.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The test is to see if you are spilling sugar and protein into your urine. I don't know why they don't do a urinary analysis like they do for our feline cats..would make sense...

The doctor told Jon he didn't have to fast for the A1C test-he said it didn't matter-unless he's wrong :dunno:
I am trying to rotate my images I uploaded but they won't rotate the way I save it...gonna upload via my phone..be back soon.
He is correct. You do not have to fast for the a1c.
The fasting blood glucose is for something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.