The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little while ago I was on the floor petting Asia while talking to AWM, who was gaming on her phone. Asia was resting just a few inches away from AWM's foot, happily lying under the pets I was giving her when AWM, reaching a certain point in her game, leaned forward and her foot gently brushed Asia's back. Asia promptly leaped into the air, bounced off my shoulder (giving me a nice set of puncture marks at the same time) and ended up in a corner panting with fear. Poor baby. :hearthrob:
I remember, oh, many years ago, lying in bed watching television at the foot of the bed (we no longer have it set up that way) with Pretzel lying on my shoulder, dozing happily. A commercial came on and I stirred, trying to adjust my position, and startled Pretzel awake. She jumped!, bouncing off of my face with all claws out, and left me with a deep cut over my left eye. We had to go to the emergency room to have it taken care of (didn't need stitches, did need a couple of butterfly bandages and I had to visit my regular doctor the next day for a tetanus shot), and I had to explain to the E.R. doctor that, no, my cat hadn't clawed me deliberately; as far as she was concerned she had barely escaped from the horrible, huge, invisible monster that hurt her human. I don't think he was convinced, but he decided not to aggravate the patient by telling her to get rid of her cat (since the patient was obviously irrational on this subject :crazy:).

Margret

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
My rant of the day:

Free to a loving home

The cat is getting rid of because it won't cuddle. First she's not fixed=living on hormones, second-they never gave it time to get used to them- why are people so impatient with pets? Pumpkin hates sitting in laps but she's the most cuddly friendly cat I have ever had. Sleeps right up against you just not on you. What is wrong with people?!! Fragile Society attacks again!!

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I skipped my home exercises yesterday because I had just over an hour of physical therapy and my shoulder was hurting. It's still hurting today but I can't skip the exercises. Ugh.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rant of the day:

Free to a loving home

The cat is getting rid of because it won't cuddle. First she's not fixed=living on hormones, second-they never gave it time to get used to them- why are people so impatient with pets? Pumpkin hates sitting in laps but she's the most cuddly friendly cat I have ever had. Sleeps right up against you just not on you. What is wrong with people?!! Fragile Society attacks again!!
As far as I can tell, a lot of people don't think of pets as living beings, complete with personalities of their own; they think of them as objects. This goes along with the terminology; we're considered to own cats -- if you buy something and it doesn't do what you bought it for, you return it. People think of pets that way, rather than as family members. At least this cat has a chance to get out early, rather than falling in love with these people and then being rejected. I hope things work out for her; Craig's List is a notoriously dangerous place for cats.

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Apparently, a LOT of people raised Cain, and the post was removed.

If I had any artistic talent, I'd do a portrait of Hekitty on a mountain top, on her hind legs, sword in paws, with the legend, "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!"

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The past three days were terrible on me. Super nausea, headache, couldn't even move my arm without screaming. I can deal with the headache and arm, but the nausea was awful.
So last night, I made cookies. We ran out of them a few days ago and my family was screaming for them. I decided that even with nausea, I would make them. I took out the first batch and grabbed one as I waited for the second to come out of the oven. Not more than 2 minutes after eating it, the nausea was gone. Really? Am I addicted? I don't eat that many.
Can one get a chemical addiction to peanut butter cookies? I ate another later and today I feel pretty darn good. It could be worse, it could be drugs or alcohol. I've just never heard of a cookie addiction that wasn't pure mental. This is weird.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rant of the day:

Free to a loving home

This is part of the throw away society that we live in. People who can't even keep the same phone for more than a year, can't possibly be expected to devote themselves to a living being with thoughts and feelings.

Volunteering at a cat shelter, we've gotten a ton of stupid reasons for people giving up cats and returning them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eh, I don't think it's a recent phenomenon. My mom's family, at least, went through pets like they were old shoes or something. She can't even tell you how many cats they had when she was a kid. I think pets, and cats especially, have always been considered expendable :(.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GOOD!!!

If I had any artistic talent, I'd do a portrait of Hekitty on a mountain top, on her hind legs, sword in paws, with the legend, "THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!"
I saw a cartoon once: Barney Rubble with a stone sword, holding the head of Barney the purple dinosaur, with exactly that caption!

For the very few of you who didn't get it on your own, the quote is a reference to "The Highlander" television (and film?) series. Highlander: The Series - Wikipedia

The past three days were terrible on me. Super nausea, headache, couldn't even move my arm without screaming. I can deal with the headache and arm, but the nausea was awful.
So last night, I made cookies. We ran out of them a few days ago and my family was screaming for them. I decided that even with nausea, I would make them. I took out the first batch and grabbed one as I waited for the second to come out of the oven. Not more than 2 minutes after eating it, the nausea was gone. Really? Am I addicted? I don't eat that many.
Can one get a chemical addiction to peanut butter cookies? I ate another later and today I feel pretty darn good. It could be worse, it could be drugs or alcohol. I've just never heard of a cookie addiction that wasn't pure mental. This is weird.
Whenever my blood sugar is low I get nauseated, and only eating something fixes it. This is, of course, the opposite of the correct response to nausea caused by a stomach bug.

Margret

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Eh, I don't think it's a recent phenomenon. My mom's family, at least, went through pets like they were old shoes or something. She can't even tell you how many cats they had when she was a kid. I think pets, and cats especially, have always been considered expendable :(.
When I got my first cat, I thought that cats didn't need as much attention as dogs when it came to one-on-one interactions, love and affection and medical care. Poppy (at first) was essentially in the position of a neglected step-child compared to my dog. I don't know where that attitude came from because it wasn't from my parents but it was actually fairly common back then.

Poppy turned out to be pregnant but I continued to pay her very little attention and to let her do her own thing, inside or out, until the night she gave birth. At that point, she asked me for help as clearly as if she had spoken the words. First, she jumped (or clambered) up on my lap (which she never did) and then down again to get my attention. Then, she waddled down the steps to the unfinished basement and stood in front of a rough shelf where she turned and looked at me as if to say "this is all I have and it won't do." I picked her up, cleared out my closet, put a few towels in there and within 10 minutes she had the first kitten. I'm not sure I've ever been so touched as by that poor neglected little girl when she asked me for help. It also made me realize in one fell swoop that everything I'd ever thought about cats was completely wrong. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::catrub::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm pretty sure you meant "There can be only one". Still hilarious.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
For the very few of you who didn't get it on your own, the quote is a reference to "The Highlander" television (and film?) series. Highlander: The Series - Wikipedia
There was a very cute picture on FB years ago with a cute story, guy saw a car, saw the family getting out of the car, asked to take a picture of their license plate. At which point the husband looked at the wife and made some smarta** comment, don't remember what but it was sheer geekdom. To my shame I had to stare long and hard at the picture of the back of the car, with the license plate "B ONLY 1", not getting the joke, until I realized the car was a Toyota Highlander.

Whenever my blood sugar is low I get nauseated, and only eating something fixes it. This is, of course, the opposite of the correct response to nausea caused by a stomach bug.
I was puzzling over Kashmir64's post, it did sound weird, but I think you are right, it was likely a blood sugar problem. While it wouldn't explain arm pain, headache and nausea and feeling the pain even worse than it is would fit the symptoms perfectly.

kashmir64 kashmir64 I missed it, what's wrong with the arm?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 I missed it, what's wrong with the arm?
The cartilage is totally disintegrated in the shoulder and I'm rubbing bone on bone (also spurs catching) every time I move it.
It has nothing to do with the nausea, neither did the headache, but it just added to my miserableness. (new word)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got my first cat, I thought that cats didn't need as much attention as dogs when it came to one-on-one interactions, love and affection and medical care. Poppy (at first) was essentially in the position of a neglected step-child compared to my dog. I don't know where that attitude came from because it wasn't from my parents but it was actually fairly common back then.
Have you ever read the Just So Stories, by Kipling?
"I am the cat who walks by himself, and all places are alike to me."
There is a fairly common feeling that cats are, um, snooty. That they look down their noses at "mere" humans. Then stick in the facts that you don't have to bathe them or walk them, and that quickly becomes an impression that they're totally self-sufficient, merely condescending to live with us for as long as it suits them, which is basically what Kipling's origin story says about them.

And the fact is, cats do have their pride. They don't really like to be seen as needy, even when they are. I think Poppy may have had to work up her courage to ask you for help. Kudos to you for understanding what she was saying.

Margret

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
The cartilage is totally disintegrated in the shoulder and I'm rubbing bone on bone (also spurs catching) every time I move it.
It has nothing to do with the nausea, neither did the headache, but it just added to my miserableness. (new word)
Why do I suddenly have visions of my future? :help:

Obviously insurance is a big factor, but I thought there is a surgery they can do to insert an artificial pad to replace the cartilage?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do I suddenly have visions of my future? :help:

Obviously insurance is a big factor, but I thought there is a surgery they can do to insert an artificial pad to replace the cartilage?
There is. But first I have to go to PT so the therapist can tell the doctor if I need surgery. I guess in his mind cartilage can regrow. Also, there is only one doctor up here who can do this surgery. I know two people who have had this man do something on them, and each time, he's messed it up. One of them may sue. I would insist on going to Phoenix for the operation if I get it.
And just to point out, the reason I have not gone to PT yet is because my doctor doesn't believe in pain killers. So I would be torturing myself with no chance of relief. I don't like pills, I prefer to ride it out. But after a PT session with my bones scraping each other, I am going to need something.

I've been looking into changing doctors. Last year I broke my leg, fractured my ankle and sprained my Achilles tendon. Yes same time, same leg. It was a bad fall. He refused to cast it. Also, it's been over 2 years since I've had a blood test done and I've asked him continually.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been looking into changing doctors. Last year I broke my leg, fractured my ankle and sprained my Achilles tendon. Yes same time, same leg. It was a bad fall. He refused to cast it. Also, it's been over 2 years since I've had a blood test done and I've asked him continually.
I'm glad to hear that you're thinking of changing doctors; it sounds like you need to do so.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.