The "What's on your mind?" Thread -2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Definitely need a new doctor. Sadly most of the good ones retired. Hopefully the younger ones coming into the field will not have the same ideas that the bad doctors have. It is so frustrating I know. Especially when you have to go to 3 different doctors to get the issue resolved. It's a real pain in the @ss.

Jon's nurse called last night and said he's not diabetic. The insurance won't pay for a nutritionist until the numbers are at a certain point. He said he's going to listen to what they have to say=I said they will say the same thing I have=change your diet=no junk and eat better. I said maybe you can get them to give you a list of foods then you can try a few a week.

Before I knew this I went food shopping and bought a good mixture of proteins and veggies. Spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, bananas, watermelon, melon, tons of nuts to try and some quinoa cereal, wheat pancake mix, some other whole wheat raisin and cinnamon breakfast breads to at least give him something sweet and good to eat. Then he says let's go out to eat. I was getting ready to make spinach salad with cashews and cheese..so we went to Maine at a buffet place in Sanford, they allow unlimited trips to the bar. And Jon had 3 desserts. He ate a good size salad too and some chicken. It was Taco night so I made a plate of taco/nachos with all the fixings but forgot the black olives. sour cream is good on anything! Then strawberry shortcake=they use big biscuits there and baked fresh. Took a small container home of strawberries and cream with 2 biscuits-I know he will eat that for breakfast. I rather he ate that than candy.

Didn't sleep well-he wanted to sleep in livingroom so couldn't crank the AC. Even the cats didn't sleep with us-too hot. Although when I was getting ready to leave for work honeybee climbed up next to Jon and had her belly exposed=I told him touch it. He say's NO, so I did and yep got the growl and snapping claws/teeth..lol. I kissed her afterwards and she just rolled around..she is so cute.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 Definitely time for a new doctor. If you have easy access to a car, traveling a bit may well be worth the better medical care. That's why I travel just over an hour to my psychiatrist.

foxxycat foxxycat My husband saw a nutritionist one time, when he was in the hospital for a suspected heart attack, so I know what you mean about not having access. One source I highly, highly recommend is "Diabetes for Dummies" from the Dummies series. And while you have to weed out the junk science sites, there are some good sites for learning nutrition. Same with message boards, while you get the crazies answering, you also get a lot of "been there, this is what I learned" posts. Weight loss message boards so far have been the best source, much more active than health message boards, and the couple of weight loss message boards I've browsed have subforums for dieting with special needs.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The past three days were terrible on me. Super nausea, headache, couldn't even move my arm without screaming. I can deal with the headache and arm, but the nausea was awful.
So last night, I made cookies. We ran out of them a few days ago and my family was screaming for them. I decided that even with nausea, I would make them. I took out the first batch and grabbed one as I waited for the second to come out of the oven. Not more than 2 minutes after eating it, the nausea was gone. Really? Am I addicted? I don't eat that many.
Can one get a chemical addiction to peanut butter cookies? I ate another later and today I feel pretty darn good. It could be worse, it could be drugs or alcohol. I've just never heard of a cookie addiction that wasn't pure mental. This is weird.
I have no idea if this has anything to do with what is going on with you, but it would provide a fun place to start doing some research:
10 Super Foods to Fight Osteoarthritis | Arthritis Research Institute of America

Peanut butter is on that list.

You mean like this?
View attachment 196127 And mountain.
Yep. That would be it.

Hekitty apologizes for the slight misquote, but would remind us that she wasn't born when "Highlander" was out.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
I kept wandering in and out of the room while Unearthed was on, missed a good part of the episode. It was about King Tut's tomb. But some stuff said that I did catch really has me wondering something. Tut's tomb held a crazy amount of riches, incredible stuff, and the grave robbers that were routinely making off with rich people's treasures before the first anniversary of the person's death rolled around completely missed his tomb so we got to see it all. But the stuff said on Unearthed was that likely his tomb was uncompleted, heck barely started, when he died so they just threw in a room big enough for his sarcophagus. Or also likely is that it was someone else's tomb that was eminent domain'ed. The show went on to say that thanks to Daddy, King Tut's name was sullied as well, and it seems that someone did their best to literally erase his name everywhere, so people (including potential grave robbers) forgot that he even existed.

Which makes me wonder.....if King Tut was super unpopular and his tomb was thrown together at the last second and he had all that buried with him, what all was in the tombs of the more popular and powerful pharaohs that waited until burial plans were completed before dying?

(If there really is life after death and I get to hang around as a ghost or an energy being or something similar, the king's chamber in the pyramid of Khufu immediately after that pharaoh's burial is on the list of things to be seen.)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which makes me wonder.....if King Tut was super unpopular and his tomb was thrown together at the last second and he had all that buried with him, what all was in the tombs of the more popular and powerful pharaohs that waited until burial plans were completed before dying?
It's probably because Tut was so young when he died. Remember, they didn't have big construction equipment back then.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably because Tut was so young when he died. Remember, they didn't have big construction equipment back then.
Youth is probably why it either wasn't nearly finished or why someone else's tomb may have been used. But the show said he was the son of Ahkenaten, and the general public hated him just because they hated his dad for the forced monotheism and shutting down of temples. There's a lot of places that should have his name and don't, but some of the carved inscriptions where he should be are visibly deeper. Computer analysis indicate there were other inscriptions prior to the existing ones, like the originals were deliberately destroyed, like a form of censorship.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This kind of wiping out the names of pharaohs after the fact was fairly common. It happened whenever the new pharaoh felt a need to somehow compete with the old one, or the old pharaoh was greatly disliked, or something of that sort. (Basically, politics as usual.) Tut's early demise so that there was no time to complete his tomb is likely the reason that his tomb survived long enough to be found; there was no gigantic pyramid shouting "Rich tomb here! Come and rob me!"

As for what was in those tombs that have been robbed -- as least as much as was in Tut's tomb, probably a good deal more. Every time a pharaoh died a huge quantity of riches was buried with him, taken out of the economy. And then the grave robbers got busy and put those riches back into the economy. And every time a new pharaoh came to power there was a huge public works project begun, building a bigger/better/more spectacular pyramid to provide for his afterlife.

At least, that's how I understand it. In all fairness, my "education" on this subject comes primarily from reading the "Amelia Peabody" mysteries, written by Egyptologist Barbara Mertz under her pen name of Elizabeth Peters. I'm sure we have people on the site who know more about it than I do.

Margret

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea if this has anything to do with what is going on with you, but it would provide a fun place to start doing some research:
10 Super Foods to Fight Osteoarthritis | Arthritis Research Institute of America

Peanut butter is on that list.

Yep. That would be it.

Hekitty apologizes for the slight misquote, but would remind us that she wasn't born when "Highlander" was out.
:alright: That's okay Hekitty--a great many of us who were born before "Highlander" was out misremembered it. (There's a great deal of stuff that gets misremembered. For instance, in the Disney version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, the evil queen never actually says, "Mirror, mirror, on the wall." What she actually says is, "Magic Mirror, on the wall." It's the little things that get you.)

I kept wandering in and out of the room while Unearthed was on, missed a good part of the episode. It was about King Tut's tomb. But some stuff said that I did catch really has me wondering something. Tut's tomb held a crazy amount of riches, incredible stuff, and the grave robbers that were routinely making off with rich people's treasures before the first anniversary of the person's death rolled around completely missed his tomb so we got to see it all. But the stuff said on Unearthed was that likely his tomb was uncompleted, heck barely started, when he died so they just threw in a room big enough for his sarcophagus. Or also likely is that it was someone else's tomb that was eminent domain'ed. The show went on to say that thanks to Daddy, King Tut's name was sullied as well, and it seems that someone did their best to literally erase his name everywhere, so people (including potential grave robbers) forgot that he even existed.

(If there really is life after death and I get to hang around as a ghost or an energy being or something similar, the king's chamber in the pyramid of Khufu immediately after that pharaoh's burial is on the list of things to be seen.)
King Tut was interesting both for why they tried to strike his name (ancient speak for censoring him out of ever having existed) and what the goodies that were in his tomb said about them. However, I found the information on the Silver Pharaoh to much more intriguing. If they have an episode about that one, you should totally watch it.

My husband has turned Ruby into a beggar and a thief. He's been giving her bites of lunch meat. Today she jumped up on the counter and stole a chicken wing. :eek2: I had to chase her down and take it from her. :flail:
:lolup:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just random stuff. Feel free to skip.

All right, I've been a little--irregular about posting, but I have my reasons. Remember when I was complaining that as my throat got better my chest got worse? According to the doctor I had the beginnings of a chest infections, so he renewed my antibiotics. (I am not looking forward to these bills in the mail.) I've also been helping AWM go through Grandma's things and clean her trailer. We're finding a lot of cool things; a quart sized slow-cooker (I didn't know they came that small), a set of porcelain cookie jars (one shaped like a pink sink complete with dirty and clean dishes, one shaped like a blue refrigerator with a cat on top of it, and one shaped like a stove complete with boiling pot), a leatherbound printed 1895 edition of Shakespeare (seriously, that's the only word on the binding) and lots of other things. She collected decorative teacups and saucers, bird figurines, and every large print word search I ever got her. (They weren't homemade--I got a whole slew of them from the Dollar Tree years ago when she had bladder surgery--years before she met her current husband.) One of the things I found (and was told I could have) was a folder for the US state quarters, from back when they started doing the quarters in 1999. I thought I had all the quarters (states and state parks/treasures/landmark quarters) so I was shocked (and disappointed) to learn that no--no I didn't. For almost two weeks, because of the hurricanes, we had no gas at our station, so work was slow. Slow enough that I'm now a little over halfway done with those stupid training modules, but the station has gas again, so I'll have to figure something out to get the last ones done. The other night I had a customer come in and rant about how people who get pets fixed before they have a litter are morally irresponsible, as it's the duty of every living thing to breed. It was all I could do to be polite and not smack him. As I got better, RB began getting sick, and he blames me (probably correctly) for the fact that he's not one hundred percent. He's also having trouble with his van--it broke down on his way to work while AWM and I were working on Grandma's trailer. (When she went to the hospital one of the things her husband did was pay someone to go over and air the trailer on a regular basis as well as take care of the potted plants. The plants are dead, and have been for quite a while.) The trailer is in the next town over, so it took a while to get to where RB was and give him a lift the rest of the way home (although, to be fair, RB was already almost home). He's been ranting about how the world is out to get him (he's never taken deviations from routines very well), but he'll get over. Had an odd talk with DD. He seems to be of the opinion that I resent him for not being here when Grandma died, which is stupid. My stepsister in all but marriage (long story) has three young children and is currently dealing with a violent stalker who keeps trashing her kids' toys that are left outside, and she needs his presence (DD is retired military) a lot more than I do right now. Not sure where that idea came from. At least I'm finally feeling better. It certainly took long enough.

By the way--all the cookie jars, while empty, were lined with foil. Do they need a lining before cookies go in them?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tallyollyopia tallyollyopia , obviously I've never met DD, but I have a feeling maybe I can describe him. I bet he has an overactive conscience, and a deep conviction that, as a military man, he can take care of any problem. Am I right? If so, he thinks you're upset with him because he's upset with himself. He's just run up against the fact that, no matter how competent he is, he still can't be in two places at once, and he's not quite sure how to deal with that.

Margret

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just random stuff. Feel free to skip.
By the way--all the cookie jars, while empty, were lined with foil. Do they need a lining before cookies go in them?
Are they old antique ones? One of my friends moms was a big collector of cookie jars and always lined them before cookies were placed inside. I am not entirely sure if that was for the protection of the cookie jar or the cookies, but since a lot of the old ones were made with kind of iffy paint it may have been for both reasons.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
It was probably to avoid cookie crumbs and make it easier to clean. But old ceramic used lead in the glaze. Probably not an issue with cookies but don't drink out of the teacups.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
King Tut was interesting both for why they tried to strike his name (ancient speak for censoring him out of ever having existed) and what the goodies that were in his tomb said about them. However, I found the information on the Silver Pharaoh to much more intriguing. If they have an episode about that one, you should totally watch it.
The Silver Pharaoh | Full Episode | Secrets of the Dead | PBS

IF you have their passport, this is very good. And I've now bookmarked several articles to read, as well. THANKS!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son and I have been watching Quantum Leap. Last night was an episode called Piano Man. Sam sang a song called 'Somewhere in the Night'.
I know this song, actually just the tune, from somewhere. I can't place it though. I think maybe on the radio at one time? It's driving me crazy, I know this. But it's not the music I usually listen to, so it's back in my memory and I can't pin it down.

Does anyone recognize this tune?

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am back from a long Hiatus! Just wanted to fill everyone in on our current situation :) !

We got the trailer all set up and hooked up the water lines. My Fiancé moved here on August 28th so we have been living together since then. His poor relationship with his parents continues but his dad has been nice and shipped us a few things like snacks and other little things we might need.

We actually got the trailer hooked up to a satellite dish today so we can finally watch TV now!

We Also got 2 kittens (one 14 weeks old one 12 weeks old) and they have been VERY good do far! They are little lovebugs and absolutely LOVE to cuddle. They are both male and although they are not brothers, they sure do act like they are! They are always playing together and when they get tired they curl up next to each other. It is so cute!

I have had cats all of my life but never 2 kittens at the same time so it has been a blast to watch how they interact with each other.

Here's a couple pictures of the little cuties:

The orange and white one is named Remus and the Black one is named Sirius (named for Remus Lupin and Sirius Black from the Harry Potter Series) :)
Snapchat-1002356022.jpg

Snapchat-803735805.jpg

Oh and I forgot to mention how SPOILED ROTTEN they are! We decided to bite the bullet and buy them a Litter Robot Open Air! No regrets so far! I will not miss scooping litter one bit!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kashmir64 kashmir64 , I think that Quantum Leap is where you're remembering it from, unless someone has done a cover of it since.

This was an original song, written specifically for "Piano Man." Scott Bakula wrote the lyrics and Ray Bunch wrote the music.
(Note: I've found it stated several places online that Scott wrote the lyrics; this is the only place I found that mentioned Ray Bunch as the composer.)

Margret

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank Margret Margret . The tune (not the words) is just so familiar. But you're probably right and I'm just remembering this episode from way back.

arouetta

Top Cat
Purraise
The Great Clothes Purge of September is going to happen within the next week.

I haven't been on any kind of a diet, other than a see-food diet (I see food, I eat it) in two months. My weight stabilized and my body measurements stabilized. I half-heartedly went back on the diet a couple of weeks ago, but nothing rigorous. Inches stayed the same, weight dropped by roughly 4 pounds.

I thought I was an XL in tops and a 16 in bottoms. I fit very comfortably in a L athletic pullover, thought it was a fluke. The XL shirt I bought months ago as a "I'll fit into it eventually" is super stiff fabric and while I fit it, it's a tad tight right at the armpits. The size 16 non-denim pants fit well in the hips (though you can see a panty line), however the waist is so loose I can fit a bottle of soda in there with me.

Target says that when we wear layers, only the topmost layer must be red. There is a shirt on clearance that I've been eyeing for over a week. It's a red lace top, you need to wear another shirt under it, and the lace pattern is roses. And it's a L. Well, who knows, it might fit. After work I tried it today and it fit, actually loosely. Very loosely. Well, what the heck, if I don't try, I'll never know and I grabbed a bunch of L tops and a dress, every brand I could find, and tried them on. And they fit. Woohoo, I'm now a Large!

There was another shirt suitable for work, but I hated it. It was so loose that I looked like I was wearing a maternity top and the stomach was accentuated. The girl that relieved me said that she had the same top, it is loose, try a size down. So I found it in a M and decided to try it on. And no guts, no glory, I grabbed a bunch more tops in every brand I could find. One didn't fit very well, another fit except the buttons gapped just a tad at the biggest part of my bust. The rest? I looked good. Woohoo, I'm now a Medium....in most things! (Athletic wear I'm still firmly a L.)

I grabbed three pairs of chino pants and one pair of 14 jeans, one a 16, and two a 14, different brands. I fit the 14 a lot better than the 16 in one brand, the other 14 I couldn't get the chinos fastened but the same brand jeans fit well, just a bit of a muffin top when I sat. Woohoo, I'm now bouncing between 14 and 16!

And.....that's when reality hit. Virtually every piece of clothing I own doesn't fit, which explains why I'm not looking that good in them. To get even a basic wardrobe I'm going to be spending a decent bit of money. Red shirts and khakis for work, a few casual shirts, a couple pairs of jeans, one nice outfit just in case......yeah, ouch.

So I'm thinking of walking to Goodwill tonight, it is dark, yuck, but I do need work pants. And when I have time in the next week, I'm trying on my entire closet again.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been on any kind of a diet, other than a see-food diet (I see food, I eat it) in two months. My weight stabilized and my body measurements stabilized. I half-heartedly went back on the diet a couple of weeks ago, but nothing rigorous. Inches stayed the same, weight dropped by roughly 4 pounds.
Congratulations.
I am the same way. I dropped 5 lbs on a peanut butter cookie diet. Don't know how that happened. But, everything I bake I do from scratch. Maybe that's it. Fresh ingredients.
Last night I baked brownies for my son. I have a gallon of liquid Ghiradelli chocolate I need to use, so why not make brownies. I only had 1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.