Status
Not open for further replies.

wordtrix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How I Became a Cat Lady
By Terri Rimmer
I’ve been diagnosed many things but the nickname I hate the most - “Crazy Cat Lady,” - is not one of them, though my neighbors would beg to differ.
Oddly enough when I was in my 20s and writing for a small town newspaper, The Camden County Tribune, they published a column I wrote about what different lives my sister and I lead. She’s a therapist and I was the creative type, she was a neatnik and I was messy. But I also addressed the fear that I would one day grow up and be like the crazy cat lady who lived across the street from my mom and step dad at the time.
Now this woman was not a Crazy Cat Lady. She was unmarried, morbidly obese, worked, single, and had two cats. But in that neighborhood there were no feral cats. You might run across a stray once in a blue moon and if one had darkened her garage door she probably would’ve fed it but no one in the 80s would’ve said a word.
It was a different time.
My fear of becoming the Crazy Cat Lady wound up being unfounded, so I thought, as I met and married my husband and later had a daughter, though my husband and I eventually divorced.
But a year before my boyfriend was diagnosed with cancer, although I’d always had a cat of my own, a stray cat named Gypsy showed up. I named her that because she was homeless, like a gypsy. Someone once told me once you name them, they’re yours but I knew I couldn’t keep her because I couldn’t afford to feed both cats, my indoor cat, Chaplin and my dog, Ripley.
Ruben died only two months after being diagnosed with cancer and more cats showed up. I went to great lengths to not only make sure they had enough food and water but from October through April every year to make sure they had enough shelter. This involved spending tons of time building shelters of blankets, towels, forts from all kinds of materials, boxes, bags, baskets, stuff people would throw out that would make deep beds like suitcases; anything like that.
The stores got tired of me asking for boxes eventually.
Every time I had extra money I was buying blankets for the cats. I went through three comforters to keep them warm from ice storms which eventually got ruined from the weather and disintegrated I hurt myself dragging van seats, heavy furniture, some of my own furniture I was no longer using, and even pulling out dresser drawers to keep them warm from the brutal winter.
Eventually when it gets so cold there’s nothing else you can do but pray.
I was always relieved when spring would come and I could take it all down.
But then summer would come and there was nothing I could do to keep the cats cool except offer them ice in big bowls which the kittens thought were toys and would bat around.
So many prayers were said over these guys.
Several people offered to help me find them homes.
Out of over 25 cats only two found homes since 2004.
Last month I faced my biggest fight regarding the cats yet.
My new neighbors called Code Compliance twice and I was being forced to turn one cat over a day to the Humane Society or I’d be fined $2,000 per cat. I was not allowed to do TNR because the neighbors wanted them completely gone due to the cats pooping in their flower beds.
A kitten died on my porch recently and I took the first cat into the Humane Society who told me that most ferals are put to sleep.
She was only ten months old and black, the least adoptable color.
I’ve always been sensitive when it comes to animals and my daughter is, too.
It goes back to when I was ten and my father abruptly told me were were taking our female cat, Tigger and her kittens somewhere.
He loaded us in the car with no explanation and stopped the car at this apartment complex parking lot, ordering me to get the mamma cat and kittens and put them out.
I felt like my heart and guts were caving in but I did it as I begged him not to make me, crying hysterically.
He was not moved in the least by my tears or emotions.
As we backed out of the complex, he simply said, “They’ll be all right. Someone will get them.”
I cried all the way home.
That memory still haunts me though I’d actually forgotten about it till last year.
The blunt force of it came to the surface again recently when a kitten I was taking care of died on my front porch because Code Compliance ordered me to stop feeding her or I’d be fined.
So, just like my dad, the old adage of: “Someone else will feed them. Someone else will come along” is simply not true.
That baby cat was used to me feeding her several times a day.
It’s just like how we do with people: “Oh, someone will take care of them. Someone else will do it.”
Someone told me “You’re stronger than you think you are.”
Well, if I get strong enough to watch a cat die every day and be okay with it, I never want to be that strong.
That would make me a sociopath.
I believe we are put on this earth to take care of God’s creatures.
Why wouldn’t we be?
Then, in the last month things have taken a turn because I have gotten involved in TNR and my eyes that were once closed are now open.
It is hard work but very rewarding and I have gone from “I can’t” to “I will.”
I have the Panther City Feral Cat Coalition to thank for that.
I am indebted to them for helping me to overcome my obstacle of moving past what I thought was impossible and that was that there was no hope for me or the cats.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wordtrix wordtrix that's terrible! How can they tell u to stop feeding the cats? Poor babies! I' glad there's nothing in place like that here. That comes as a help to the people with the many cats that roam however I spend to much time trapping out of my back yard bcz of it too. U neighbors should be ashamed! I'm glad u found a way to help though. TNR helps so much.

I can finally breathe and the fever went away! Now to go pick up my babies from the adoption center to cuddle me all up when I get home!

wordtrix

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wordtrix wordtrix that's terrible! How can they tell u to stop feeding the cats? Poor babies! I' glad there's nothing in place like that here. That comes as a help to the people with the many cats that roam however I spend to much time trapping out of my back yard bcz of it too. U neighbors should be ashamed! I'm glad u found a way to help though. TNR helps so much.

I can finally breathe and the fever went away! Now to go pick up my babies from the adoption center to cuddle me all up when I get home!
Thank you for your support! That means a lot. I'm also in pain all over so it's really difficult.

I would like my story "Cat Lady" to benefit Panther City Feral Cat Coalition. I posted it in the Pawsitive Thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Prayers and kisses to this precious little kitty! I wish everytime I witnesses stuff like that I had the means to match my heart and lend a helping hand. They need us so much but never ask for anything and it melts my heart. And love us no matter how bad a hair day we are having. GOD bless them!

Snoopy Dog aka SNOOP DOG met 2 dogs and 2 cats as well as the neighborhood kids and cats and all all is well! His mother keeps calling WORRIED sick that it won't work but everyone is friends!! I took him on a walk so he would get his barings and so the neighbors will know where he's from. I pray all goes well ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my foster kitties fluffy cat got adopted yesterday! View attachment 210374
krisrath11 krisrath11 -- what a gorgeous Mainey-looking cat!
The soup is in the pot, and it smells great. Each time I make soup, it's better than the last time *if I do say so myself!* and I'm looking forward to some with a green salad, some sesame naan, some red grapes, and cool water. The Three are having salmon. Of course they eat better than I do. They're CATS. :dancingblackcat::kneading::cutecat:
IMG_0377.JPG

EggSandwich

Cinnamon's roll
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am happy. I have had this song stuck in my head for like a week, and I finally figured out what it was! It's too catchy for its own good. I'm talking about Wheel in the Sky by Journey, if anyone is interested; but wow! I'm glad it is out of my head.

Also just got a really good picture of Cinnamon, but I'm not sure if I want to wait for another one (she does something else that is amusing) or if I should go ahead and enter the one I got today.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am happy. I have had this song stuck in my head for like a week, and I finally figured out what it was! It's too catchy for its own good. I'm talking about Wheel in the Sky by Journey, if anyone is interested; but wow! I'm glad it is out of my head.

Also just got a really good picture of Cinnamon, but I'm not sure if I want to wait for another one (she does something else that is amusing) or if I should go ahead and enter the one I got today.
Now the song is in my head. Luckily, I love this song. It is such a fun and catchy song.

My cats are running around like crazies. They love to romp around like that after eating raw food.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom called today. She makes me feel so special when she does that because she rarely calls anyone. I think in her older years it has become a bit of a struggle to carry on a conversation with most people, but not with me. For some reason the conversation flows freely with me and I can make her laugh. It makes my day knowing I can make her smile.:cloud9:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
In 1 week and 1 day, I will be technically full term. They consider 37 weeks full term and babies born then rarely have any issues. So, in a week, I won't have to worry about going into labor early anymore. Yay!
I'm getting excited for you. :bunnydance: Hope you're going to share some pictures of the new baby when he arrives.

My positive news for the day is that today is Fynn's second Gotcha Day.

There are a few TNR'd cats at my old address still being fed by the neighbours. I go down to see them every week, just to keep track of how they're doing. I went down one evening and there was a black and white kitten there. I guess it's possible that he migrated from another colony, but he seemed a bit too small for that. He seemed a bit too friendly to be a feral kitten too. While I was sitting on the curb waiting for the other cats to finish eating he came and snuggled in my lap.

I don't like leaving cats outside, especially in the winter, so I scooped him up and carried him back to the car. He soon made himself at home and gets on well with the rest of my colony cats.

This is when I first brought him home.

Fynn1.jpg

With his BFF, Little Boy.
FynnLB4.jpg

Guarding the front porch with Henry Lee. (I'm not really sure how they get up there....)
FynnHenry3.jpg

Happy Gotcha Day Fynn! :celebrate:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm getting excited for you. :bunnydance: Hope you're going to share some pictures of the new baby when he arrives.

My positive news for the day is that today is Fynn's second Gotcha Day.

There are a few TNR'd cats at my old address still being fed by the neighbours. I go down to see them every week, just to keep track of how they're doing. I went down one evening and there was a black and white kitten there. I guess it's possible that he migrated from another colony, but he seemed a bit too small for that. He seemed a bit too friendly to be a feral kitten too. While I was sitting on the curb waiting for the other cats to finish eating he came and snuggled in my lap.

I don't like leaving cats outside, especially in the winter, so I scooped him up and carried him back to the car. He soon made himself at home and gets on well with the rest of my colony cats.

This is when I first brought him home.

View attachment 210414
With his BFF, Little Boy.
View attachment 210415
Guarding the front porch with Henry Lee. (I'm not really sure how they get up there....)
View attachment 210417

Happy Gotcha Day Fynn! :celebrate:
Happy gotcha day to sweet Fynn!! :jive: He's a smart boy. He recognized a good thing when he saw it. Good food, a huge enclosure to play in, lots of friends and YOU of course!! What cat wouldn't want that? He has grown from a sweet kitten to a handsome adult. He looks even better with his equally handsome pals. :heartshape:

Status
Not open for further replies.