Cat meows after one person leaves

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every morning when my girlfriend or I wake up and go get ready in the morning our cat Miso will also wake up, which is great because then we can close the door for the person still sleeping. When one of us leaves for work we'll open the bedroom door again so Miso can go back to bed if she wants. However let's say for example I'm still in bed and my girlfriend leaves for work, Miso will start meowing. She'll just walk around the apartment and meow. I think it's because she notices someone is gone. Weirdly she doesn't do it during the day, for example when I'm working behind my desk and my girlfriend leaves Miso won't meow like she does in the morning.
So far I've just resorted to coughing or rolling around loudly in bed so she'll know someone is home in the hopes of her stopping because she won't feel alone. I don't want to call out her name because I don't want her to think meowing like that gets her attention and encourage her to meow more.
Usually after half an hour of meowing she'll realise I'm home and crawl back into bed with me.
Does anyone have an idea of why she does this and what we can do to make her meow less? I'm guessing she's just missing someone in the morning and since the other person is in bed it's not obvious to her that she's not alone. But maybe I'm wrong who knows.
That would mean she meows for us if both of us leave though which seems pretty sad to me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Can I ask, how old is she?

Also, how much, and what (kibble, canned) are you feeding her?

Additionally, you can set up a camera so that you can look in on her on your phone when you're both gone, to see what she's doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Can I ask, how old is she?

Also, how much, and what (kibble, canned) are you feeding her?

Additionally, you can set up a camera so that you can look in on her on your phone when you're both gone, to see what she's doing.
She is approximately 2 years old but she was found in the forest with her kittens so we don't know much about her past, except for that she is overweight and loves to cuddle so I don't think she lived on the streets for long.

We feed her dry kibble right now because she is on a strict diet due to food allergies.
I was thinking about the camera thing too. It's not really a common thing here to have cameras around the house but we could try and go out for a walk while leaving one of the phones on I guess.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I'm a little confused, why don't you leave the bedroom door partially open for her so she can come and go as she pleases? Maybe she's meowing because the door is closed especially if, as you said, she hears you coughing or rolling around in bed loudly. My husband and I usually get up at different times so we try to be quiet for whichever one of us is still in bed. The bedroom door is left ajar so our cat can go in the bedroom or follow the person who is awake and go into the kitchen to get fed. Does that make sense?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - you might double-check so that you're not decreasing her calories too much/too fast. I'm finding that our Buddy is quite a bit more relaxed when he's had just a bit more. He too needs close watching regarding his weight although we took the canned food approach - I've read that cats lose weight more naturally (and slowly) with wet food, if you can research and find a brand that doesn't have the trigger ingredient.

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm a little confused, why don't you leave the bedroom door partially open for her so she can come and go as she pleases? Maybe she's meowing because the door is closed especially if, as you said, she hears you coughing or rolling around in bed loudly. My husband and I usually get up at different times so we try to be quiet for whichever one of us is still in bed. The bedroom door is left ajar so our cat can go in the bedroom or follow the person who is awake and go into the kitchen to get fed. Does that make sense?
It's open whenever one of us leaves! We just close it for like the half an hour one of us gets ready because we live in a one bedroom one floor apartment so it would be very noisy. But when the door is closed and one of us is getting ready Miso has no issues, she just chills with that person or does her own thing. As soon as one of us leaves the bedroom door opens and she knows this because she usually checks it and then leaves again to start her meowing

alysker

(Alice) Girl with a cat
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi - you might double-check so that you're not decreasing her calories too much/too fast. I'm finding that our Buddy is quite a bit more relaxed when he's had just a bit more. He too needs close watching regarding his weight although we took the canned food approach - I've read that cats lose weight more naturally (and slowly) with wet food, if you can research and find a brand that doesn't have the trigger ingredient.
Hi! Good note, she gets enough food though, she gets the recommended amount and doesn't even eat all of it, she usually leaves a few kibbles laying around. Wet food unfortunately in the Netherlands is always some mix of all meats combined so she really can't have it until we figure out what she's allergic to. We're on the slowest possible weight loss journey because her happiness is more important to us and we'd be over the moon if in the next two years or so she can lose one kilogram, then she'd be a healthy weight for her size. So no rushing here :)