Struggling With Play Time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She moves around fine for the most part, but she won't ever be able to handle a lot of activity. She's good at being calm, but she gets so excited and anxious so easily that I prefer keeping her worn down. There's no calming her down if someone comes over. She won't be doing agility either and I was considering getting/making an agility course at some point in time. She's started to play again, but she's still hesitant. I feel terrible for her. She doesn't deserve any of this.

Oh, yes. Ember had a blast with that catnip.

(8) I'll keep an eye on them, but I don't expect any issues. No one had a problem with Ember being moved to my room. My biggest concern is me remembering to let him out once he's done eating.

Yeah. Hopefully a cat will be more aware than I am. That puppy terrified me! But it's still a lot of risks. It's not the best area to have cats loose.

I let him go without a brushing the first day, but I don't like doing that because they get knots so quickly and the fur on his back legs is so thick that it can be hard to tell if there's a knot back there. There's been more than once that he's gotten a knot even with me brushing.

It definitely seems like there would be a change in his playing and jumping. I have no idea what's going on with him. I'm going to give it a bit more time and make try to find a way of brushing that doesn't require moving his legs so much in case it really does hurt him.

Yeah, the males definitely have it hard. They all do. I've only seen two cats and one was Jax who my mom saw several times before that. The other one I think is semi-feral. He ran off when he saw me, but he stayed in sight and I saw bowls on the porch of the house he was by.

None of the cats so far have seemed very friendly, so it seems likely they're feral or abandoned for some time. Possibly just wary outside, but it seems like most strays and pets are at least somewhat social. I will see what I can do. I'd definitely like to help.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( No, she doesn't deserve this. It is awful. It is good that she moves around pretty well. That is good and allows her to have a good quality of life to a large degree. Just hang in there and do your best to make her comfortable and happy.

I can imagine!!!

(8) - That is good. Once in you get in the habit you'll remember.

I know, it can happen. Even a small puppy can startle a person. Cats are very aware so though it is less than ideal if anyone can survive a cat can.

Yeah, it does happen quickly. Poor Ash. Hopefully he'll let you brush him.

Yeah, it is strange. It is so hard to know what is going on but it seems like given he isn't having issues jumping etc it most likely is something else. But maybe he is just afraid it will hurt because of past issues. It is so complicated. :(

Yeah, it is hard for all the them. Some day maybe they will all have homes. My colony is now all male. I took in the females over the years and sadly my last remaining female in the colony died. Now I just have the males and they have it pretty good but once in a while an intact male comes around and causes some territorial challenges. All we can do is our best.

I would agree with you. Just do your best.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will, of course. And she is playing again. I haven't had her run long distances or across the hardwood/tile floors. I just do what I can in the living room. She's only just starting to play tug-of-war again.

Ash did let me brush him, finally. A little tense on one leg, but otherwise he acted like there had never been an issue. I hope it stays that way.

There have been some minor issues, but nothing too bad. My main concern right now is that Ember seems alert. She's not exactly tense, but she's very watchful and especially when I'm trying to play with her. I don't know why, but there are times I'm trying to get her attention and she'll just be staring at a spot across the room or house. The first time it happened, I expected to see Ash in the kitchen where she was staring, but he had been on the cat tree in the dining room. And Ash has been a little wary. When she gets in one of those alert moods, if he ends up in her sight she'll stare at him. He'll stop whatever he's doing, watch her for a moment, and then turn around and run. Ember, of course, gives chase. She wouldn't do it if he didn't run though. Even though she watches him, there's no sign of her getting ready to chase or being particularly tense. I don't know how to get Ash to figure that out though. But they both get over it pretty quickly and the incidents have been even more minor than usual.

I can only hope they will, but I'm sure it would take a very long time. Personally, I don't mind having ferals around, but I do feel bad for them. If people were more responsible and caring then it wouldn't be quite so bad, but it's hard enough for the ferals without having to worry about cars and cruel people and loose dogs.

My dad did just get a trap though because he thinks there's a raccoon living in his attic. It's not much, but at least I have access to a trap now.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good. It is good you are being careful with the environment where she is playing.

That is great. That is a good change. I wonder why. Maybe the outside animal/ cat?

Maybe Ember senses the other animal/cat and Ash is more use to the animal/cat? It is usually something like that in that situation. I wonder if Ash likes to be chased? It is natural for Ember to chase a cat that acts like prey. It is good that they get over it quickly and that the issues are even more minor lately. That is great.

Yes, it is impossible but if we can get some homes then we are making progress. I don't mind ferals around either and people actually like them because they keep the rodent populations at bay. BUT I agree it is a dangerous world for them. I wish I could take my ferals in but I can't. All I can do is my best (give them food, fresh water, shelter, and health care). If we do our best then we are doing something. We may not solve the problems of the world but we can make it a little better place.

I hope a raccoon didn't get in. :( It is good to have access to a trap. But you have to be careful using it and of course when you catch something. Makes sure you ask me or others on the feral section if you start using the trap so you can do it safely.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no clue.

Maybe. I don't really know what's up with them. Frost, of course, is unfazed. The chasing doesn't really seem all that playful to me on either side, but on the other hand, there's not really much that makes it seem aggressive either. I'm almost positive it's not playful for Ember, but Ash is usually in another room so I can't say I'm getting every clue from his body language.

Also, I had to clean Ash's butt yesterday because of some poop getting stuck. I noticed a couple of white bumps back there on either side of his anus and had my mom look as well. I even checked the other two to make sure it wasn't normal and I just somehow missed it. Nothing. Today they seem much smaller, almost unnoticeable, but we're still thinking about getting him to the vet to get checked and get his back end shaved so we don't have to worry so much. Then we'll just stay on top of it and keep it short.

It's definitely a tough situation. I think there are ups and downs to taming and rehoming ferals and simply leaving them be. If we could at least make it as safe as possible, then I don't think it would be so bad to have them around as wild animals. I mean, as sad as it is, all animals in the wild have their fair share of issues and we can't protect them all from everything. But there are just so many risks to ferals. I think giving them food and shelter is a pretty good compromise though. There's always risks, even to animals kept entirely indoors. At least there aren't quite as many that way.

Well, the vent(or whatever it's called) was bent and the screen torn. My dad said they could actually hear it moving around, so it's fairly large and it definitely got in. Just don't know if it's still there or if it moved on and hasn't come back.

Oh, of course. I honestly don't even know how to set a trap. I definitely won't take any steps without advice, even if I have read multiple threads on trapping them. But if I do trap, it won't be immediately. My dad has to figure out if there is actually an animal in the attic and I have to find a way of transporting any cats I do catch.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, at least he let you. Fingers crossed it continues.

It is tough to know. At least it doesn't lead to any bad stuff and they get over it fast.

Hmmmm. You might want to post on the Cat Health section and see what people say. I am sure someone has experienced it. Vet visits are always good though on things like that. Maybe that is the reason he didn't want to be brushed?

I think you have the situation exactly right. I couldn't have said it better.

It happens unfortunately. I don't know much about raccoons but I am guessing they come back unless it is sealed off. Ughhhhh, not fun. And they can be nasty in a trap so please tell him to be very careful.

Great. Yes, there has to be a plan in place once a cat is trapped. Setting a trap is easy, and preparing it is easy. There are a lot of people on here that will help. SO when the time comes we are all here for you.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Posting in the Cat Health section was the first thing I did. Looks like it's probably impacted anal glands. I went ahead and bathed his backend today because he got poop on him again and it was literally in the fur on his leg pretty low down. I've no idea how he managed that. But when I was cleaning him, I thought it looked like one of those bumps had not only gotten bigger, but it looked like it had burst. I wasn't sure though since he had soap on him. Afterwards, we checked him again and, while it was quite a bit bigger, it didn't look as bad as I had initially thought. I'm wondering if his poop isn't just a tad on the soft side because, while it looks normal, it seems a bit of a coincidence for him to have anal gland issues and so much trouble with poop in the fur at the same time. My mom called the vet this morning to get an appointment, but they said they don't do grooming anymore. She said they did it before so they told her they'd check and see if they could get an appointment for it and they'd call us back. That hasn't happened yet and she's going to call them again. We plan on getting him to the vet by Saturday.

It seems likely it'll be back. Why would it leave? Free shelter away from other animals and it might feel better up there than outside. He doesn't want to go up there and find out the raccoon still there though, but he'll have to do it eventually to repair it.

Yes, everyone on this site has been very helpful. I have no concerns about that. And hopefully the day will come where I have a plan in place and am capable of trapping these cats. I'd sure like to, but things need to calm down a little first.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Ash. Maybe that is why he has been acting up. Did they say if the glands are painful or uncomfortable? That is good that he will be getting to the vet to hopefully take care of the situation. Poor Ash.

Yeah, especially when the temps get colder. Yeah, he has to be careful. Raccoons can be nasty. He may have to get pest control to handle it. Ughhhhhhhhhh.

Agreed. This is a great place for help. Yes, a plan and time are needed. It will work out.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I tried getting this posted last night, but for some reason when I went back to add something, it started deleting what was already typed as I added more. It was weird.

From what I read, they definitely itch and may cause pain. That's why dogs scoot their butts across the carpet. We got him to the vet last night. The vet was going to be gone for the weekend(I still don't know how a vet can just leave for so long), so we had to go ahead and take him. She looked him over, gave him his rabies shot, expelled the anal glands which she didn't seem worried about and said it was normal, and she also gave us some medication that's used for travelling with animals. It's supposed to relax them/make them happy and is also a pain killer. We can use this for grooming him and whatnot to hopefully make it easier. I'm thinking we should have asked if it would be okay to use this on Ember sometimes.

My mom also brought up that his tail is bent and was wondering if maybe it was a deformity and if there could also be other deformities that we can't see which could be contributing. The vet said it's completely possible and she does think he was born that way, but she didn't notice anything detrimental and, overall, he's in good shape.

When I bathed Ash the other night, I was actually surprised at how well Ember did. She wasn't happy of course, but there wasn't the usual attacks and whatnot. Just a lot of tension, maybe a little slapping. I didn't even have to separate them. She made up for it yesterday though. I think it was actually worse than the other times we've brought Ash home from the vet. Lots of slapping, hissing, stalking... One full blown attack/chase during which she got a clump of fur off of him. I saw them running and she was just about on him. She did play though which was surprising. I didn't think she would. She even ran right past Ash and was totally fine if treats were involved, but it was very bad at dinner time. I stopped to talk to my mom for a minute which was a mistake. Ember got trapped in the hall and I heard her make some noises I'm not sure I've ever heard her make before. And in the kitchen was awful. I kept trying to talk as I made their dinner since that seems to keep her from attacking, but she still went after him several times, went after Frost, Frost went after her. I've never seen Frost act so aggressively. Ash pretty much just shook it all off though.

Fortunately, things seemed to have calmed down today. And if there was anything else I was going to say, I don't remember what it was. Oh well.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is strange. Well, at least it worked now.

The vet visit sounds like it went well. It is good to know it isn't too bad. Maybe he felt you would touch them and because they itch and can cause pain he didn't want them messed with.

That is good that the vet wasn't worried about his tail. And that he is in good shape. How was he with the vet? Sounds like he behaved well.

That is really good she did well with the bathing. Yep, Ash probably smelled like other animals from the vet. :( Happens all the time. But she played and went past him for treats. And at least Ash shook it off. I am surprised Frost reacted so strongly. It was one of those days. Sometimes cats get in those moods and it is like wild for a time. At least yesterday was calm so let's hope Ember is sued ot the smells now. Things can escalate so fast. It sounds like that happened and once they settled down they were fine.

I can understand. That can be stressful so it is easy to not remember other stuff.

Hang in there. I am guessing it was the smells from the vet's that triggered Ember. And then it escalated. Hopefully it is past. It is good that it sounds like they aren't having any leftover ill feelings.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was really strange. It's being a little slow today, but I'm not sure if it's the site or the computer.

It did go well. I'm sure there could have been some discomfort between his arthritis and those anal glands, but I think he feels more comfortable at home as well and is more likely to voice his opinion.

He does very well at the vet. Honestly, he's so scared he doesn't do much of anything. Doesn't even flinch when given a shot. They probably don't even need to hold him. The only issue he gives them once out of the carrier(which can be quite challenging to get him out) is getting off the scale. They put him on to get his weight and he stays there. When they take him off, he tries to get back on.

Yeah, it was just odd how badly she reacted, especially after doing so well when he got a bath. But maybe it was both the things on top of each other. Maybe they were more hands-on at the vet. Maybe it was the dog that jumped up on me while we were waiting to be called back. The dog didn't come into contact with Ash, but probably did with the carrier. It could be a combination of all three.

They're all doing fine now. My mom got out the electronic toy with the feather that goes around in circles under a fabric and they all took turns going crazy. None of them played with the toy much, but they all ran around the house.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't have any issues. But maybe it was the time you were on and not a problem when I was on.

That is great.

Yeah, that is very common. I have had cats act the same way. I think it is fear where they are more frozen. But it actually helps. I have had ferals that have run around and have been really difficult.

Yes, I am guessing it was a "perfect storm". Everything you mention can cause issues and together.........................

That is great. At least they ran around and got exercise and tired themselves out a bit.

I wanted to let you know that I have to do something tomorrow and am going to be out of commission for a few weeks recovering. When I get back and can I will get back on the site. So please just post when something comes up and when I can and am recovered I will be able to see what has happened and can follow up. I wasn't sure but now I have to do it so............

I know you can handle everything so I am not worried and I think they are doing really well. Keep up the great work and hopefully I can be back soon.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe. It could just be my computer too. I tend to have issues with it.

Yes, it certainly makes things go easier, but it's rather frightening too. It can be kind of scary to see a cat act so differently and know they're so scared. While they got the medication, he laid on the scale and I had my arms around him. He buried his face into my room.

Probably. It wasn't a good mix.

Alright. I'll certainly update when something happens. Hopefully that won't be much. So far the only concern I have is sometimes Ember just decides she isn't playing. She stares off at a point, often in the kitchen, like someone is there when there's no one. She gets tense and it's really hard to get her to look away. It's back and forth though. Sometimes she plays two or three play sessions in a row, sometimes she doesn't play for two or three sessions. I just like keeping her moving though because she's already overweight and I haven't been able to get her down.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least it wont have any long term impact on him (the vet visit). He may have been a bit scared but he would get over it quickly. Sadly, vet visits have to happen.

Sometimes cats will think something may be there because there was in the past. Just keep doing your best on getting her to play. Also, try playing in a different areas. Also, try to get her to go up on things as that helps her get exercise as well. Cat tree to dresser to bed etc.

I am still recovering and get pretty tired quickly but I will keep checking the site now hopefully.

I am so glad that things must have gone well since I didn't see any additional posts. I thought it would. But it is good to know that all went well.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately it doesn't affect him long, but I do feel bad that he has to come home to Ember afterwards. She never appreciates the weird smells.

I am trying. It's back and forth. It's back and forth with all of them. She pretty much always plays at night, usually in the morning but not always, and I have yet to get her to accept a third play session. Frost plays briefly. Ash hasn't been playing much. On occasion he'll play with a toy on his own and he'll sometimes play if I dangle a toy in front of him, but he's not chasing it at all. I don't know what to do about that. I can barely get him to look at the toy until I'm wrapping it up. Then he'll go for it. Tonight that led to me getting my foot pricked with claws.

Ember has been getting on my bookshelf more and more often. It's almost daily at this point. She seems happy up there. That's about as high as it gets considering it's probably close to seven feet tall. I tried getting her to climb around during play in the past, but never managed. Nothing higher than my bed and Ash usually gets there first. I can try again, but I honestly doubt I'll get a different result. Lately I've been going back and forth between my room and the living room. My room to help keep tension down, but it's so small and tight that it's hard to really play, so I'm just trying to play in there a few times a week. I don't know where else to play. Sometimes I walk through the house with the string toy, but I don't really play in the dining room because it's hardwood and I'm afraid they'll hurt themselves.

That's fine. You don't have to push yourself. We're managing well enough.

Well, I actually just kept running out of time. I'm only on my computer for an hour or so a day and posting takes a bit of time. There was nothing serious, but certainly some issues. Ash peed outside the litter box a few times. On a towel every time. It worried me, especially when he did it two days in a row, but it was a healthy amount and we honestly can't afford to keep taking animals to the vet. I wanted to know something was wrong. He didn't do it for a while after that, but did pee a third time. However, it was still a healthy amount with no sign of blood. I think it might have been territorial. It seems the ferals/semi-ferals/strays became a bit more active after it cooled down a bit. Stella was sniffing quite fiercely on our walks a couple of days.

It was a day or two after that that we had some problems. Ember started going after Ash and it seems worse than ever. No injuries, but it lasted longer and was even louder than usual. Once she got him cornered and took a few good clumps of fur off of him. I was a bit worried by the third day because it was happening once a day. Every time was loud and lasted just a bit longer than they usually do. But after four or five days it seemed to calm down. It's continued to happen every now and then, but I don't think it's happened in two or three days now. Knock on wood.

So Ember made typed this very difficult.
She's a very computer smart cat.
She somehow found a shortcut to italicize my words. Then she deleted everything. Everything. In the middle of the last paragraph. And then went to the home page. Fortunately, this amazing, wonderful, fantastic site saved my draft and saved me from retyping everything.

I didn't knock on wood fast enough. Ember left me and shortly after I heard hissing, spitting, etc. There was a pause and I thought that was it(I've mostly stopped worrying about the really short ones), but then it started up again. I rushed out to see Ember trapped by the water bowl against the wall with Ash in front of her. Both were really low to the ground and growling at each other. It was weird. I've never seen that happen before. The only time he'll ever stand up for himself is when she just sort of half-heartedly slaps at him. I can't even say I know who started it this time because of that. She's never gotten trapped like that. I got them separated and picked her up. I wouldn't pick up any other cat in that state of mind, but I've never gotten more than tiny pricks from her claws. And she doesn't even try to get away. She lays in my arms and watches him. But once I set her down, she went down the hall and when she went back to the dining room, he was around the corner and she arched her back and hissed. I have her in my room for now just because it was so intense. I'll let her out in a few minutes.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. It is hard because of the different smells. But as she gets more confident it should be less of an issue.

That is pretty good she plays always at night and most mornings. Just keep trying but 2 times is very good. Just try to make the toy into prey. In the air, on the ground, moving behind things (hiding), etc. If putting it away works try that. Sometimes is i just finding the right toy and the right movement. A lot of trial and error.

That is great Ember is going up on the bookshelf. That is good exercise. And i builds confidence. If play doesn't work that is fine. Using treats can help get a cat into areas you want as well. Play doesn't have to go high so I wouldn't worry. Yes, it is good not to play where they could slip and hurt themselves.

Thanks. I will try to check every day. I just have some really bad days but hopefully that is past. I am more just tired now mostly.

Where was the towel he went on? Near any doors or windows? Did anything happen before those incidents? Was he acting different before it? Anything you can think of that might be different. More ferals can cause this.

Hmmmmm, that is surprising. Do you know what led up to her doing that to him? Where did it happen? Same place? Tight space? Being bullied can cause a cat to go outside of the litter box. Try to make positive associations, treats together, love, things to have them near each other with something positive going on.

Yes, I have one on me like that right now. Mine are even more clingy then ever since I got back. Yes, it is good the site saves a draft.

Try to distract Ash if that happens. Get him to focus on a toy or something. We would like him to break his focus. So that she can see that he can back off. Trying to turn it into a more positive (or at least a less negative incident). Anytime we can show them that the other is not a threat it is helpful. I wonder if it is redirected aggression. I wonder if it is feral related. Try to step up play with him. It helps build confidence and it takes some energy out of them. Make the toy fly and crawl and crawl around corners. Putting it away is good if it works. Whatever you can do to get him interested. It might take a lot of trial and error but it will help him. Then feed after play.

Don't worry, we'll get through it. Sometimes things escalate because of outside influences (ferals). Keep your eye out (and nose) to see if ferals are around.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be happier with two times if she played for more than three minutes, but I'm lucky if I get that. On occasion I might get up to five. But she's overweight and it's not budging, even after having her food cut down and an increase in play. I guess I'm going to be trying different toys with Ash. I'm not sure when the last time was that he's been so uninterested. But he'll still play with another cat or on his own every once in a while.

Yeah, I don't necessarily like her up on the bookshelf, but it certainly doesn't bother me that much. I do need to block off the top shelf though. I used to have books up there, but moved them to the bottom and now the dreamcatchers hanging over the top shelf are accessible.

Well, don't worry if you don't get around to replying sometimes. I understand. This week is going to be a bit hectic for me anyway.

No, the only part that doesn't fit the feral theory is where he went. The towels are always in the bathroom which is a tiny room with no windows. But it does seem to be a place he enjoys being in and he seems fond of peeing on towels when he has a UTI. I didn't notice any behavioral changes beforehand. The only difference is his lack of play which I think happened some time after the first two times of peeing on towels.

They pretty much always happened in the dining room(Possible fit with feral theory? Large windows in there.). I never saw them start, but there's never any noise prior to make me think he's done anything to startle her. I think they were worse mainly because Ash was getting cornered. He couldn't get away as quickly as he usually can. He always runs for the cat tree in the storage room, but that's a distance away and the door sometimes gets pushed too far shut.

I'll certainly do that if it happens again. Honestly, I usually do, but I don't think I was thinking quite right. It was a rather surprising situation. I've never seen that happen before. I'll try changing the toys up to see if I can get his interest again. I usually have to switch every so often anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can get bored easily. It really is ab out finding that sweet spot both in toy and movement and getting them "hooked" on hunting. It can be tricky, some are more difficult than others. But even 3 minutes is better than nothing. Also, getting her to go up and down on cat trees, etc is also exercise. It is good that Ash plays with Frost. Any movement is good.

I know the feeling. But it is good for her and as long as it is safe (doesn't risk falling over) then............. Does she play with the dreamcatchers? I hope not but I could see a cat doing that.

Thanks, I will try. Hopefully this week isn't too hectic and is good for you.

It could be territorial. Is that bathroom his "safe" area? It could have been a problem with Ember and he retreated to his safe area and marked it to say "this is mine". It happens. We'll have to work on his confidence and positive encounters with Ember. Keep an eye on him and see how he is acting, walking around, going places (or avoiding), going high (or not). Things like that.

Dining room, yes, could be. A dining room tends not to have too many tight spaces or dead ends. So exits are plentiful and they can avoid a fight. So with windows they could have seen a another cat and then have redirected aggression. Keep an eye out for ferals. Also, try to play in the dining room and then feed treats. Also, maybe put some bedding, scratching post, cat tree in there. Something they can "own". Ahhhhh, I just read that Ash might have been cornered. I am surprised it could happen in a dining room but it can. If you can describe that space that might be helpful.

I know how it is. Yes, changing toys and the movements can be helpful. Make sure to try ot make the toy act like prey (a bird, a mouse). Those sudden movements, starting and stopping. Hooking the cat's attention. Then lunge and pounce. Then repeat. Then feed.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That they do. My mom got them a new toy that's a ball that rolls on it's own. They basically went from interested, but cautious to bored with it in ten minutes. It is a bit too large though. I'll keep trying to get them to play though.

Well, my biggest concern is that it is such a narrow shelf and it isn't anchored, so it certainly could fall. However, she's been up there several times and it hasn't even wobbled. The dreamcatchers have feathers dangling on them so that's a big cat attraction. I've always kept them out of reach though. She went for them a couple of times, but I just tapped her and said no. After doing that two or three times she left them be, but I'm not always there to tell her no.

I think Ash's true safe spot is the top of the cat tree in the storage room, but the bathroom would probably his second spot. He's always liked it in there I don't know why. It doesn't have a vent so it's the coldest room in the winter and the hottest in the summer. Definitely don't have to worry about whether or not he's getting up high. He spends most of his time at the top of a cat tree.

They have a cat tree in the dining room by the window. I have a bird feeder outside. The dog's kennel is in there too and Ash likes laying in that sometimes. And when I say cornered, I mean that quite literally. Here's where he got cornered:

Well, it got turned around. But that's the cat tree in the dining room. It's in the corner of the dining room by the window. I don't remember if he had just got down or what, but he got stuck on the thing in the back that's sitting on the floor. You can see it behind the cat tree. We couldn't get it on right so it just sits there. I don't think he was able to get up quick enough due to the angle and the fact that she was already on top of him.

I'll keep trying. I play with them right before feeding them, but they really just want food.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine love balls. They can play with them for hours. Especially my boy, he loves his football. Usually a ball like that acts like prey. They ounce and swat it then it moves (runs away) and they go after it. Well, your mom had a good idea, it would have worked here. :( It was nice of her to buy that for them. Keep trying, roll it past them etc.

Yeah, just try to put a lot of weight on the shelf real low (bottom shelf) to keep it more steady. Yes, feathers make them very attractive for cats. At least Ember listens when you are there. And they are out of reach.

It could be a sign of territorial insecurity. Has he ever went on the cat tree? Is the litter box ever blocked by Ember (or access to it - the hall etc)? Or does Ember ever hold him at bay in that bathroom? Can you put a litter box in there? Or a scratching post or a little cat tree?

Hmmmmm, he shouldn't have been cornered there. He could have used it to get away (going the opposite side that Ember was going using it as a deflection point) or gone up on one of the levels. Hmmmmmm. Sounds like bad luck.

Hahahaha, some cats do. They get lazy and think (why hunt when I know I'll get food anyway). Try to start a bit earlier and make them work a bit more for the food. So more time for play if at all possible.

Are your cats more mousers or more bird (flying prey)?