Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yes. Ughhhhhhhh, it is so sad.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. How long has he been off now? Yes, right everything down to see if there is something.

Awwwwwwwwwwww. I am not sure that is he dog's fault. I think it is probably the human's fault. I always take care when people would come to the house. My dogs are more guard dogs. :( Ughhhhhhhh, it is so sad. :(

Yes and yes. Interesting you think you can handle an adult. I hope she does as well!!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Yep :( Well, we have a lot of prey all year. But I have been trying to transition them for 3 years I think now. :(

Howso dense? Yes. I can totally understand. Do you think he is just overprotective of you? But I totally understand. He needs to understand when to be and when not to be. :/

Interesting he loves other dogs. It makes sense when he doesn't know them to be cautious. He made have had an incident in his past. :/

GREAT!!! GOOD LUCK!!!! :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is. But what are we to do? Our trainer doesn't actually work at the shelter. She comes twice a week to work with volunteers and adopters. She can give us ideas of what to do, but we don't have time to do much. We either need someone to do this stuff every day and help these dogs or we need to stop bringing these dogs in just so they can sit there and break down.

A week or so, I think. The vet said to try twice a day on the Claritin. He said dogs don't handle antihistamines like people do, so they need larger doses.

I don't think so. He wasn't this nervous when he was here before, but he was still a somewhat anxious dog and he is a rottie mix. Rotties can have a protective streak. People give their dogs too much freedom without structure, if you ask me. People coming in can be very exciting/confusing/threatening and entrances can be tight areas with not much room. I'm cautious with Osiris even though he's really just a scaredy cat.

I've handled two eight-week old puppies at one time. I know an adult will come with its own challenges, but I can't see one being more time consuming than two young puppies. And I'm handling two adults with their own issues now.

Having prey all year probably isn't helpful. Cats are stubborn animals for sure.

He can be a little slow figuring things out sometimes. Or does weird things like turning around and whacking his face into a wall. Or sticking his nose in the way while you're shutting a door and keeping it there as you close the door on his nose. Pfft. Definitely not protective. He's a coward, truthfully. He hid behind me when there was a large ball left at the park once. Hid behind me at the vet's yesterday too. He's just a big baby. He did pretty good at the vet, though, and didn't freak on the cat he saw there.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. :( It is a story that is too common. Too much to do and not enough resources. :(

:/ I hope it works. Is he better?

:( Yes, they can. I agree, I am in that category at times. :( Yes, I agree. Are you really cautious with Osiris? With other people or even with yourself?

Yes, true.

Yes. :( Well, creatures of habit. The instincts are strong. :/

Ahhhhhh, yes. It is kinda cute? I am surprised he is not protective but maybe because he hasn't had to be? I suspect he is a lot smarter than you may realize. Awwwwwwwww, he liked the cat. Not surprising since he loves yours. He seems to love other anmals.

I love him.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is. And I'm afraid it's only going to get worse. Surrender and return rates have gone up and adoption rates have gone down, not just for us but for all rescues.

Yes! Much better. Haven't seen hardly any itching lately.

Well, we don't have company over much, so it took a long time to get a good understand of how Osiris would react. And he's a GSD mix, so we didn't know what GSD traits he would have. Even among the breed, some are more likely to bite than others. Plus, he's very reactive and barky. Even without actually biting, he can be very intimidating and, yes, he's given me a scare a couple of times. I'm less cautious now because he's never tried to do anything, but I still don't want him scaring people unnecessarily and I don't want him in a situation where he feels like he needs to do something.

Indeed. Cats are stubborn animals. I can't even get mine to stay off the counters after 11 years.

He's entertaining at least. In the way a lot though. You can walk directly into him move he'll bother moving. He's not protective because he's just not a protective dog. He expects me to protect him. Which is fine. I didn't get him to protect me. Most dogs aren't protective. Most of their aggressive reactions are self-perseveration which, in many cases, is all we need. And I don't think so. Lol. He's not stupid by any means. But not the smartest. He just doesn't make connections very quickly. Like, if someone shut the door on your foot then you'd probably learn to be careful around doors. It might take a couple of times, but you'd learn. Not him. Couldn't even tell you how many times I've shut the door on his nose and he'll still do it. He does not like animals he does not know. Loves them once he gets to know them, but before that he's very reactive. And he's been very reactive to cats. This was the first time he didn't flip out when seeing a cat at the vet. So it was a very proud moment.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Another negative from Covid. :(

GREAT!!!! You must be on to something then!! Fingers crossed.

Yes, very true. BUT if you both are in a situation you don't want to be in you want him to be protective. I think he is really smart, I think he knows. But I agree, there is a line. I think if he doesn't know it now he will.

Hahahahaha, yep!!!!

Interesting. Maybe he isn't protective because he hasn't needed to be? Hahahaha, do you think he is just very trusting? Awwwwwww, but the reactivity with cats is to play, right? Awwwww, he is such a good boy!!!

I just wonder if he is a lot smarter than you realize. I have seen dogs like that.