Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old was she when that happened? How long was she with your uncle and aunt?

I think you will be able to work with Stella. Dogs are pretty accepting typical and work things out faster than most people think. You will be able to do it I think.

That doesn't sound too bad. It sounds like it was pretty minor. They could have had a bit of built up energy. And sometimes when a person comes home from an extended away time they can get a little "amped up" and it can cause some break out of stuff. But overall, things like this happen and it sounds like it was pretty minor. It was good Ash stood up for himself. As long as they acted normal after and you could diffuse the situation then it is just a passing storm. It just happens sometimes.

Wow, Ember did great with the dogs. I am surprised Frost was a little funny. Hmmmmm. Make sure if he does get separated you make it a positive separation. So using treats is good and making sure he is calm and enjoying himself is good. We don't like to take territory away from cats. When Ember did slap the dog it is for protection and letting the dog know to "stay away and not try anything". And if she gets over it right away then it is fine. That is what a cat does, protect themselves. As long as they don't hurt the dog which Ember doesn't seem like she would unless she felt really threatened.

Just make sure the shelter would really be a true no kill and they would find them homes. Kittens are great to find homes for. Alley Cat Allies volunteers do also foster and socialize. It just depends on who is available in each area. These are people as passionate about cats as you and I so it doesn't hurt to reach out and see. They may be full but maybe they aren't.

Yeah, it is tricky. I would contact Alley Cat Allies and see if someone can help. You can always just see what they might be able to do. Also, check and see if there are any rescues etc that can help. There are so many people out there that are willing to help save lives, it is just finding them.

Cats are pretty good at protecting themselves. Of course bad things can happen but getting the kittens to get bigger will help protect them. It is tricky with you being so far away. And then you really can't take care of them with all your animals. So the options might be limited in what you can do. But let's brainstorm and see what is best. I do think trying Alley Cat Allies and seeing if there is someone in your area would be the best first thing to do (just to see what they can do and what they think etc).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not positive. According to my aunt, she's only three years old, but I could have sworn she was older. If she is three, then she was less than a year old when my uncle left. He left in the fall and we took her in the spring/summer. She's been with us for two summers.

I do hope, but she's such a cowardly little dog and I do worry that the longer we wait the harder it'll be. It's bad enough it's gone on this long. But I will try.

Oh, yeah. It was nothing bad. The worst was when they got in a slapping fight and I think that only seemed bad because Ash didn't run. It was a fight, not a chase. But a very minor fight. And there haven't been any other issues. I'll get back to playing and training and hopefully there won't be any more issues. Today was a bit off since I had to get my allergy shots as well as go to the doctor for another shot.

I'm surprised Frost was acting up too. He's such a friendly, laidback cat. I don't know what's going on with him. I mean, I won't say he's really friendly with dogs, but not usually like this. I know this puppy is high energy and has no cat manners, but she wasn't even bothering him. When we brought Stella in it was kind of a mix of curiosity and wariness. And he'll give her a slap if she's bothering him, but never has he acted like that. I am very proud of Ember though. Even with her slapping, she did wonderfully. The puppy needs to learn manners just as any kitten does and she is learning. And I'm not worried about Ember using claws. She never has.

I'll do my best. I definitely won't be taking them to a shelter that I know isn't no-kill. I do worry though since it's summer and shelters are usually full of kittens during the summer. They might not appreciate me giving them more as well as a full-grown(I'm hoping full-grown) cat who isn't trusting.

I have actually gone to Alley Cat Allies and signed up for a list of people in my area when I found Jax(the feral that probably isn't a feral and I only saw once, but we bought food for him) and was planning on getting him TNRed. I'll have to see if I can find that list and if any of them are near my dad. I was looking for our house, but my dad lives closer to the only big city around us and that's always where a lot of places are.

It really is a difficult situation to be in. If I had the money and the space, I'd probably take them--or at least the mom--and try to socialize them myself. I know I'm probably not the best option since I'm not experienced, but I would like that experience and they'd probably be a good start since they seem semi-feral rather than actually feral. It would be nice to see if Ember could learn handle it as well. But that's not possible. I'll do what I can though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes sense that she was pretty young. After they age they get more comfortable and can handle more.

I think that as they age they get more accepting. Of course, that is on average in my experience. But I don't think waiting is hurting the chances of accepting. And having the cats around is going to help her I think. I would guess there would be an adjustment but I think that she will end up being fine. Dogs are typically a lot easier than cats.

Agreed. Even slapping isn't too bad, it happens. As long as they don't hurt each other or really scare each other where there is hiding and a change in behavior than it is fine.

Frost sounds like he is just being a cat. He may be a bit different than he usually would be but it sounds pretty normal cat behavior. Ember really did behave well. Fantastic.

That is usually the issue. Everyone is full. It is so hard. I have had to TNR a lot of cats and it is heartbreaking seeing a great cat that would be great in a home have to live in the wild. But all we can do is our best. Each one of my ferals could be in a home now. But every one that loves cats already has cats. It is so hard to find them homes.

Oh good. Hopefully you can find the list and find someone near his house. That would be great if that person has the time to help. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Oh I know. I feel the same way. I would love to take more cats in but I don't have the space. And then it is difficult to find them homes. It is so hard emotionally. It is so easy to get attached. I love my ferals but I have lost many ferals over the years. It is heartbreaking. But I don't know of any alternative. Ughhhhhhhhh, if only we could spay and neuter all the ferals. Of course then at some point we would have a rodent problem everywhere. It is always something...................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe, but Stella still has problems. It took several months of living with us before she no longer felt the need to follow me everywhere and there's still some days where she all but reverts back to that. And she goes back to that behavior any time I take her with me to someone's house. After the initial exploring, she's at my heels. She's only just started feeling comfortable away from me at my dad's. She's torn up cat toys, tissues, and papers while being left alone. I think she's gotten a bit better now that she's been left alone more, but I think there's a little bit of fear of being left.

I can only hope. I do think she can get over it at least to an extent. It's fear-based, so it's a matter of building up confidence and trust and teaching her big dogs aren't a danger. But I don't want to make her live with a big dog and her never feel happy or safe in her own home.

Oh, yeah. Frost displayed normal cat behavior, definitely. Good for a cat, really. He didn't attack her or anything. But it was unusual for Frost. He seems to be getting crabby as he ages. And we always said Ash was going to be the crabby old man.

Well, I'm still holding out hope for this family. I'm not really comfortable leaving them there since I don't know how soon my dad is going to sell his house. It'll probably take a while(not a great neighborhood) and the cats will be gone, but I worry that they won't be and whoever buys the house won't be so friendly with them.

Yeah, I forgot to look today, but I'll do it. Hopefully I'll find someone who can help.

It would definitely be great if they were all able to have homes. Maybe someday people will learn and won't abandon their animals so much. Maybe people will be educated and will know what to expect when they get their animals and maybe ferals will be less misunderstood. Maybe. We can hope. I would definitely like to help. I wish I could do more now, but there's just no way.

And my mom just let me know she saw a tortoiseshell cat by her car. So I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for that cat too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, it does take some time but they do come around. I have had abused animals that were in rough shape and with time and effort they can feel more secure and improve. You can do it.

Yes. It just takes some prep work and then you can see how she does then add another dog at the right time. It doesn't happen overnight but it can work.

Yes, normal cat. Hahahaha, they do surprise us sometimes!!!

Yes, it is tough. The main thing is they get spayed neutered at the appropriate time. It is so hard. I have TNR'd in neighborhoods and worried. I know exactly your fear. All we can do is our best.

I hope so, that would be great.

It will always be a challenge but if we can make progress. You are doing your part so don't worry. Someday we all will keep improving things.

Yes, they are everywhere. :( Well, at least she would be easier if she doesn't have a home.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Except today someone bit the nose off of a catnip mouse. Not sure who did that. Stella is the only one who usually tears things up, but when she does it, it's usually totally destroyed. The end of the nose was just removed. I do think she can improve, but I'm not sure I have the knowledge or experience to help her. My head is full of information on cats and the dog forums are terrible.

I'm willing to put the effort in. I just have to have a dog to use to get her used to them.

Well, I'm trying to work on it. I thought I found a shelter. They focus on strays. The man who started it started taking in stray dogs. They're supposed to be the biggest no-kill rescue in the city and the surrounding area. They have a separate ranch for other rescue animals as well. I've heard of it before. We were going to see if we could visit. I think they said they have over 300 fosters? And even more volunteers. But reading reviews, there were enough complaints to be concerning. I don't think they're cruel to the animals, but the staff have been reported as rude to those who want to adopt. And they have been accused of stealing a dog who was microchipped due to the owner being a breeder. So I'm still looking around, but that place is still an option.

I also found my list from Alley Cat Allies, but the only one who was listed to help with trapping was closer to us than to my dad, so I signed up for a list of people closer to that area. I still only found one person who was listed as someone who'd assist with trapping. Most say they'll help with TNR, but I would like to know there's someone who can help with the actual trapping.

Another concern is the possibility of the mother getting pregnant again. I would like to be able to take my time with this and find a good place for them to go, but I don't want to see her tiny body be put through another litter and so soon after the first. And I also won't be going back for a while after this weekend, so if we can't get them somewhere by then, then I'll have to see if my dad is willing to cooperate without me or find someone who can do it on their own. I think he'd be willing to let someone go over with a trap and catch them. I don't know why not. It's not like he's even living in that house.

I just wish I could do more. But I can't even afford to do TNR myself. Otherwise I'd go out and get a trap and just start trapping. TNR every cat I catch. I'm willing to help trap and could possibly help with transportation, but that's about my limit. I hope that changes someday.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm, I wonder who did that then. A cat? I think you have more knowledge than you think. Dogs are a bit easier and less "formulaic". They tend to listen more etc.

Yes, no doubt you are willing. Agreed, getting a dog to help is the key.

That sounds promising IF they are good to the animals. It sounds like they are protective (not adopting to anyone) and care (not all breeders are the same). As long as they treat the animals well, give them a chance, etc then it is worth the chance. It is a hard call but a good rescue and a chance are better than TNR in my opinion but there are a lot of caveats. It is such a challenge to know what is the best.

Well, that is good. I would contact each one and see what they say. Don't rule anyone out since they tend to want to do what is best for the cats. So they are usually very accommodating. It just depends.

Absolutely. That is a big concern. And that is what happens so often. I think getting them (with the assistance of someone) trapped and then a place to do what is necessary medically that is best. A rescue might be able to work with that. Alley Cat Allies people would more likely trap, spay/neuter, recuperate, release. That is a generalization but typical.

I know, but you are doing a lot already. Some day hopefully you can but if we all do a little it is a big help in the overall situation. People who do this don't judge or anything. The key is just to do what we can and try to improve the situation.

We'll figure it out. I would contact the Alley Cat Allies people and see what they say and keep the rescue open and communicate with them what you are hoping for.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I've never seen the cats destroy their toys, but if the dog did it then it would usually be totally demolished. I'd hate to see the mess a mouse made completely of catnip could make!

Maybe I do have the knowledge, but I'm not sure. I've never worked with a dog like this. I'm still figuring things out. And, in the end, dogs and cats are very different in many ways. You can't work with them the same way.

Yeah, I'm thinking about emailing them anyway. I didn't read all the reviews, but I didn't see anything saying they were cruel to the animals. In fact, some of the people who said they were rude still said they took good care of the animals. It seems like there are problems with some of the staff, but not everyone involved. Most people seem to agree that the shelter was created for a good purpose and at least started at good. And it seems likely these cats would be put into foster homes, so even if they weren't adopted out, at least they'd be in a loving house instead of on the streets. And I'm running out of time.

I think I'll start contacting a couple of people who are closer to the house. Maybe they'll be willing to help if it's somewhere nearby. It would be great if I could, at the very least, find someone to let us use a trap and walk us through how to go about it. However, if I can't get them this weekend then I'll need someone who's willing to do it pretty much on their own.

I feel like this is difficult because these cats aren't social or feral. It would be easier if I knew I was working with ferals and could contact people/organizations who work with ferals or if they were friendly strays. At least I'd know what I'm working with and, if the mother was feral, I wouldn't feel as bad leaving her there. It's not the preferred situation, but at least it would be the life she was familiar with.

It doesn't feel like a lot. But maybe this will help. If I can figure out how to help these cats without spending money, then I'll have a better idea of what to do next time. I won't have to waste so much time trying to figure it out. I'll have a better idea who can do what.

I will. I just hope I get replies in time. I wish we had known about these cats earlier. I would have had more time to figure out what to do with them, how to trap them, and have the time to actually do it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always detective work, it is never easy. Yes, it is not good. Thank goodness it wasn't seen this time.

You are so true, they are different. But they respond to love, focus, and security/confidence. I think you have all the skills necessary. I think you can adapt and see what works and what doesn't. There are no set rules for dogs in my opinion. More art than science for dogs. But I know you can do it, you'll intuitively know what to do.

I think that is a good plan. More information will help you feel better about what path you should take.

I would try all resources. Let them make the decision if it is too far for them or too time consuming etc. The key is to find someone to help. Most people I know that do this really go out of their way to help. I think you could be surprised what amazing people volunteer to help animals. Not everyone can or will want to but all we need is 1 person.

Well, feral is really a cat born on the streets in my opinion. So I think they qualify. With that said some are really skittish etc and some are able to be socialized. Given how young the mother sounds and how she acts she is probably a good candidate for socializing IF there is room and space for someone to help with that. The main thing is she is spayed. The kittens should be easy to socialize again if a person has the time and space to do it. Kittens are easy. I have taken in older ferals and younger. There are big differences and a person needs some knowledge the more feral they are.

It is a lot. You care and are doing something about it. That is a lot. Experience is always helpful.

Well, all you can do is your best. And if someone takes over from you then it will work out. It all depends. Hopefully someone can help out. Or the rescue would want to take them. So there may be more time possibly and at least you have a few options right now. All you can do is your best. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works out.

Thank you for doing what you are doing for them and caring!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't want to mess up and make her even more afraid. Someday I'd like to hire a behaviorist to help me. She needs help with a lot more than just her fear of big dogs. Stella is definitely proving to be a bit troublesome though not intentionally. She also has a knee that tends to pop out of place. Fortunately, it's gone back on it's own every time so far, but it's likely I'll have to put it back myself. It went out of place yesterday. It really scared me. She was doing fine though. Then I heard her yelp today and she came back to me limping. I don't know what happened. She's walking on it, but I'm trying to limit her use of it.

Well, I'm afraid the cats might be gone. I was in the middle of typing an email to someone Friday when I realized I should probably go ahead and ask my dad if he's seen the cats to make sure they're actually there. He said he hasn't seen them since the mom scared off the dog. We went over to check it out later that day and there was no sign of them. At first we tried to circle around the house and look from a distance before approaching. Nothing. No movement. I had Stella too so I kind of figured if the mom was there, she'd try scaring Stella off as well. I, of course, kept Stella back and out of danger. When I was sure the mom wasn't around, I went up to the boards and tried to look under them to see if the kittens were there. I couldn't see anything. They were either hiding very well or not there. I will say it's possible they've learned the sound of the truck door closing whereas in the past they might not have connected the sound of the door to people coming. But they have been put through quite a bit. My dad has gone been there a few times to clean the house. He put mulch down, started cleaning the garage, mowed, cut the weeds, and of course there was the dog. So I'm afraid they might have decided it was too dangerous and left.

However, I still think I'm going to message someone. We might go back to see if we can see anything, but I think I'll message someone(or a few someones) either way because, even if these cats in particular don't get the help, there's definitely a colony living in that area. My dad has seen quite a few cats there and it seems like the colony is always bigger than what people think. I can't do anything to help those cats directly, but I can at least inform people who can.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you would "mess up" and make her more afraid. Some dogs are more of a challenge but usually they can be helped. Just keep working with her building trust etc. I had a dog that her knee would "pop out". I know what you mean, it is scary. She also would put it back in. It didn't happen often and she didn't ever really be in pain (or show it at least) but it was a worry.

It is possible. Usually cats stick around where they were born and feel comfortable but if they fear for their safety or the food and water source is gone then they will move. It is just very hard to know. And since the kitten are getting bigger they are more mobile.

I think that is a good idea. It sounds like a TNR could do some good. Most of the time we don't see the ferals. They are very "stealthy". But if you are seeing some then there are probably a lot. And TNR is the best and most humane way in my opinion. I think it is a very good idea to still contact someone. I am guessing the kittens are somewhere near there so stinky food will attract them.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been researching her knee problem. It's called luxating patella, among other things. Apparently it's pretty common in a lot of small breeds, especially Pomeranians. When it pops out and back in on it's own with no pain and doesn't happen often it's a grade one. There's four "grades" or levels. Stella's goes back in on it's own, but it definitely seems to hurt her. Stella's seems to be grade one based on frequency and it's ability to go back on it's own, but the pain seems more grade two-three. However, it's happened about four or five times in three days. That's probably how often it's happened in the past two years or so and it's never happened so close together. I'm going to be putting her on supplements and probably getting her a knee brace.

It's definitely hard to know for sure, especially since I know cats in general are good at hiding. But these cats didn't really seem to care all that much about hiding, so it seems odd it's been so long since they've been seen. It doesn't quite match up with their history though that history is a short one.

That was kind of my thought. Especially since there can be cats who look alike. I've hung out in the stray and feral forum and it seems like there are usually several black cats who are mistaken for one or two cats. So I will email someone. There was an organization that said they'd even feed ferals and I think they were the closest. I'll probably email them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds familiar. Mine was a poodle and I remember the vet telling me the exact same thing. She was grade 1, it didn't happen often. Poor Stella, I wonder why it is happening more frequently. I can't remember all the details about why it happens etc. I hope the supplements and the knee brace help.

Yes, it is always tricky. They seemed pretty tame which is surprising. Maybe someone around the home has fed them etc. That they have had some human interaction. It is odd. But it is so hard to know exactly what happens. Even being around them often things are surprising.

Oh yes, so many cats look alike especially when they are feral and move quickly, hide, etc. Black cats, tiger striped, gingers, greys, etc. So hard to tell the difference. It is really only when they start getting tame when you can tell the difference and even then sometimes it is hard to tell without seeing them in different angles.

That would be great if their is an organization that would be willing to help. Most important would be spay and neutering. Feeding and taking care of a colony is pretty tough and time consuming not to mention expensive but if someone can help with spay and neutering that would be wonderful. I'll keep my fingers crossed, I hope that organization can help on the TNR.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's caused when the groove that the kneecap sits in is too shallow. The kneecap is able to slide out of place and become dislocated. In grade 1 it's only supposed to happen on occasion, go in on it's own, and not cause the dog any pain. However, Stella has always seemed to be in pain when it would happen, though it never happened often and would go back on it's own. Now it's like she's suddenly shot from grade 1 to grade 2, possibly even borderline 3. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it hurts her at all, but I've been putting it back manually more and more. It would probably go back on it's own after a minute or two, but I don't wait. I hope supplements and the brace work too, but it'll be a while. I'll be starting her on glucosamine when I get home tonight and am looking into chondroitin. The knee brace we'll have to measure her for and try to find a relatively cheap one in her size.

I don't know. I still kind of wonder if someone didn't ditch the mom. She looked pretty young though. She could have escaped. Maybe it was too much trouble to get her spayed. Who knows?

Yeah, I know I've seen at least one orange tabby around. I'm not positive it's one, but that's the color I see the most. I've seen it a few times. Looked the same, but I've no clue.

Well, the organization is supposed to be more for offering resources than actually doing the TNRing. They help those who want to help community cats. So I haven't emailed them yet, but I might still in case they know anyone who would be willing. However, I did email someone else and am waiting for a response back. There's still a few people I can try and that organization. Maybe someone will know someone who isn't on the list.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Poor Stella. I hope they help her.

We never really know in most cases. It depends on so many things. Ughhhhhh.

I have 3 orange tabbys here and sometimes it is really hard to tell the difference. Luckily they respond to their names and through mannerisms it is easier to tell but just on looks it can be really difficult.

Well, try everyone possible. Hopefully someone can help. Once an area is TNR'd it can be pretty stable for a while. Of course it takes a lot of resources but every little but helps. Just explain the situation, your limitations, but your desire to help and improve things. People tend to help if they can. Let's hope someone can help you. It would really help the cats. Keep up the great work. Thanks!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do too. I keep forgetting to give her glucosamine though. It's always hard to get into a habit. Her knee hasn't gone back out of place though, so at least there's that.

There are way too many scenarios. It's really quite sad that there's so many and that so many of them involve humans failing to do their part and take care of her.

I can imagine that would be difficult. I've never had look-alike cats, but my cousins had(have?) two black cats that look similar. I never could get them straightened out, even after one became an outdoor cat. They actually ended up with three black cats, but one was bigger with thicker and slightly longer fur.

Yeah, the woman I emailed responded. She said she could give me numbers of people who could help, but I haven't gotten an email with the contact information yet. I do want to help these cats and I'm refusing to let myself back out despite the fact that I kind of want to. It became more complicated than I really intended and my anxiety is getting to me a little. I'm always very nervous talking to strangers and I hate talking on the phone whether it's a stranger or not. So, really, even the fact that I called the shelter when I was first trying to figure out what to do with the mom and kittens is pretty impressive. I normally avoid calling even family members. And even emailing a stranger was a bit difficult for me. But I would feel terrible knowing I walked away from this situation when I could do something about it and it's something I need to get over anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Once you get in the habit it will be easier. Thank goodness it hasn't gone out of place. Fingers crossed.

TOTALLY AGREE!!

I have an indoor black cat (former feral) and her brother or son is outside. They look alike (though the neck size is different) but their mannerisms are exactly the same. More than once have I thought she got out. They are that similar. I know exactly what your cousins cats are like.

I am really proud of you!! You are wanting to help the cats and it sounds like the cats are helping you in a way. Your commitment to the cats is fantastic. To push yourself outside of your comfort zone in order to help the cats is wonderful!! You are putting the cats and their welfare above your feelings. That is special, wonderful. I can't say enough of how proud I am of you.

I am sure the woman will get you their contact information. Let's hope one of the people can help. I will keep my fingers crossed.

You are really wonderful. I am so proud and impressed!!!! You really made my day, week and month!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I finally remembered to give her the glucosamine today. I had to set the bottle out where it was impossible to not see. Once I do it a few times it should be easier. Her knee only went out once when I was trying to get her to play a little. She wouldn't get the toy so I called her and she turned too quickly on the hardwood floor. It was bad and I think it went in on it's own since I didn't feel it pop. But she is refusing to play. I started with a ball since that doesn't involve tug-of-war and she doesn't usually run full speed in the house. It's more of a jog. But she wanted nothing to do with it. Eventually I tried letting her get her own toy though I didn't want to push it. Still nothing. I even got out her favorite ball which I was avoiding because she tends to get overexcited with it. Nothing. The only exercise she's getting is from two walks a day with a brief(very brief) jog. And it's over ninety degrees outside. I'm afraid it isn't enough exercise too. She's pretty calm as long as there isn't anything to get her excited but... Well, there's a lot that gets her excited. And she's been very sensitive about walking by other dogs on our walks which she normally does very well with.

I think Ash lost his mind the other day. I heard some movement, a little tink of what I believe was him hitting Stella's food bowl, a hiss, and claws on the floor. It was dark so I couldn't so. When I went to turn the light on and check on him, he was hiding in the box on the cat tree. Ember was in the dining room by the table looking around. Called her over and she came easily. Wary, but not really tense like I'd expect after she had attacked Ash. I picked her up and brought her within a few feet of Ash, heard a low rumbling, and Ember growled. I turned her away and she stopped growling. Turned her back and heard the low rumbling again. Then I realized Ash was growling. I tried with Frost too and he growled at him too though Frost was allowed much closer. With how Ash was acting, it seemed like one of the more severe chases/fights. But I honestly don't think Ember attacked him. She wasn't acting the same as she usually does after attacking him and she was pretty far away. I've no idea what caused him to hit Stella's food bowl hard enough to make that noise though. She did attack him the next morning though.

Yeah and it's really hard when you don't know the cats. I mean, they were solid black cats around the same size. I couldn't ever straighten their names out. I still don't know which one the outside cat is. I don't remember if they're related or not. There was one or two accidental litters. Can't remember if they kept a kitten. Probably.

Haha, thanks. They are helping me. Even if it's in a way I don't necessarily like, it's definitely something I need. I won't lie, I was tempted to give up on it all once the mother and her kittens disappeared. They had been my main goal. But I've ignored these cats long enough. I should have done this a while ago. And I couldn't pretend it was all fine after witnessing just how it wasn't fine. I really do fear for that mother cat. She's too small to deal with multiple litters. As tempting as it was to pretend it wasn't a problem(it would have been easy since my dad no longer lives there), I know I'd feel worse if I just left it as it is. And if I wasn't willing to do this for cats then I probably wouldn't have the determination to run a shelter.

So the woman got back to me. And she referred me to organization I was planning on emailing. Lol. I guess I'm going to be contacting them anyway. I will, hopefully, do it tomorrow.

Thanks a lot. Talking to you(and reading other threads on this site, especially the feral thread) has helped me a lot. If I didn't know it before, coming to this site definitely would have confirmed that I wanted to help cats and animals in general. I'll be happy to know that those ferals are being taken care of and won't have to go through litter after litter anymore.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do that too, put it out so I see it. Once you get in the routine it will get easier. It might be too hot for her. Mine limit play when it gets too hot. If she doesn't play for a short time I think that is fine. Maybe she worries about her knee or maybe it is too hot. It happens. I wonder if she feels more worried about other dogs because she has a knee problem? Dogs are pretty smart and can get defensive/cautious when they aren't feeling 100%. I think it will pass but let's keep an eye on her.

It could be he just got spooked (by something not a cat) and he thought it was a cat. And then was on the defensive. Odd that he growled at Frost. But if he was spooked and didn't know who it was then everyone is potentially at fault. How fast did he calm down after?

Why did she attack him the next day?

Even when you know them it can be difficult!!! Hahahahahaha

It is absolutely fantastic!! You chose the path that is more meaningful and difficult. A path which shows you caring about others. Selflessness. I am so proud. If we had a world where more people cared about others more than themselves we would have a better world. You are making the world a better place!! I AM PROUD OF YOU!!! WELL DONE!!!

Cool. That is great. I am guessing she knows them and that they must be pretty good. Fingers crossed!!

Thank you!! You are making the world better, helping these cats. What you are doing is fantastic. Spaying one cat makes the situation down the road so much better. I know exactly how you feel. Your impact on the quality of life of animals and cats will be incredible!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's the heat. She does get hot easily and she does make it difficult when she gets hot, but she's never simply stopped playing before. And play takes place mostly indoors where it's in the lower seventies. Meanwhile, she's absolutely thrilled to go on a walk in ninety degree weather. I don't really know as far as the other dogs go. I don't think she's feeling bad since the knee isn't supposed to cause a problem when it's in place, but she could definitely know something is wrong. She does react differently based on the dog and the amount of exercise she gets. She tends to act up on walks more when it's not hot and she's not tired. And I do believe there are different kinds of energies and some energies just clash. That's why two high energy dogs could end up fighting even if they're dog friendly. But she had a problem with the calmest dog on the street. He is new. It's the first time I've seen him. The other two dogs at that house bark their heads off at us. This one was in the yard along and just watched us, but she reacted worse to him than the other two.

I'm at a loss as to what could have spooked him though. It was very dark in there, but I didn't hear anything before that. He had actually seemed somewhat calm immediately after which was why I picked Ember up. But he apparently had me fooled which isn't something that happens often. I ended up leaving him be so I'm not really sure exactly how long it took. He spends a lot of time on that cat tree anyway. But he typically gets over things pretty quickly and it didn't last too long.

I have no clue. I was still in bed. It seems to be becoming a ritual to attack him at night when I'm going to bed and in the morning before I get up. Everything seems quiet and peaceful and then all of a sudden there's claws on the floor and hissing/spitting. She went after him just a short while ago. Again, I didn't see it. I had just gotten in bed. But she had her tail puffed up and was very tense. Ash as on top of the box on the cat tree which I took as a good sign since he normally huddles in the back corner inside it when he's really frightened. I will admit I made the mistake of picking him up. I guess I'm too used to Ember who will let me pick her up even when she's in attack mode. He didn't appreciate it, I felt claw tips and he protested. I put him back and he crawled into the box. I let him sniff me and I petted him and he seemed fine and relatively calm. And then he turned around an bit me. He bit me! He actually bit me.

I am being a bit dramatic though. It might have been the hardest he's every bitten me, but it still didn't come close to breaking skin. I got a nice little mark, but it didn't even hurt that bad. I was mostly just shocked. I will go ahead and take the blame for that though. Even though he seemed fine and had no problem with me petted him two seconds before that, I'm sure picking him didn't help him feel better. He's not Ember. He doesn't take comfort in me holding him and letting him look around. He was just attacked which I'm sure was for nothing he did, at least not intentionally. And he did have a turd stuck to him earlier which he kept trying to slap and bite me for trying to get it all out. I think that made his tail and hind legs sensitive too so he didn't enjoy having them brushed a little later.

There are a lot of things I'd like to do, but I'm willing to make sacrifices. Helping animals is my purpose. I figured that out a while ago. I won't say I'm selfless(I'd do way more for animals than I would for people), but I do want to make a difference.

I didn't email them today... I'll do it tomorrow... Probably. I had to do some running today though and got home to make dinner and take care of animals, so I didn't get on my computer until late.

Well, at the very least I'll help make the neighborhood better. I can't do anything about the people who live there, but I can help the cats have a slightly easier life. My role in this is a small one, but it is important. If I don't say something then it's possible no one will ever know about the situation.