Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, that is funny. I know, sometimes they do get to a place and go "oh, what do I do now".

So true. And especially when they have different dietary needs.

They are usually pretty good if it is reported even when it is automated. Those systems are pretty smart. The wind can do it, the lines can hit trees and spark etc. Poor Stella, I understand why she would be scared at "booms". I am to!!!

Yeah, that happens. I have accidentally done things like that and they hold a grudge. It is awful but they do end up forgiving and realizing it wasn't intentional. I hate when that happens. You are fortunate it hasn't happened before.

They do change, for whatever reason. Sometimes they accept things then stop. It can be difficult to understand why. Who knows. Sometimes they get more confident they get more independent and decide they can choose what they will do.

Just make sure you take a minute next time and wash it with soap and water. Just so nothing causes issues. A scratch will get puffy etc even if you wash it but to get any bacteria etc washed out is best. It only takes a minute and then you can calm them down safely. Always best to be careful since it is easy and fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. Why he continues to do it, I don't know. Ash, on the other hand, moves quick once he's down there. He hasn't gotten by me as often as Frost, but once he managed to do it, he started trying to dart past.

Yeah, that can definitely make it harder.

Well, they got it fixed at least fairly quickly. Before the food went bad. Still don't know what caused it, but it hasn't happened again. Now every time I hear a loud noise I wonder if the power is going to go out again. It was pretty scary the first few times.

I am. I felt terrible when I stepped on his tail and do every time something like that happens, but they kind of show up out of nowhere. And I think anyone who knows me can attest to the fact that I'm not exactly the most graceful person. I can walk into a wall that's directly in front of me. Cat tails are even harder to avoid when they're suddenly in your path.

I think it's just been too long. It's been probably close to a year. We usually only bathe them when it's warm, but we normally do it a couple of times and occasionally when it's getting a bit chilly. But I hate going through it because 1) it stresses all of them and 2) Ember attacks Ash if he gets a bath which is more stress on everyone. So I think I only bathed them maybe once last summer.

I'll try to remember. I probably don't worry about it as much as I should. I know they can be pretty dangerous, but I've never had too much trouble. Not that they really do a whole lot of damage.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They always love to go where we don't want them to. Hahahahaha

Yes, a lot harder sadly.

Yeah, they tend to be good at getting it back up. Thank goodness before things spoiled. I can imagine, it can be disheartening to worry about that not only for Stella but for all the other reasons. Hopefully they solved the issue now.

Or when they dart underneath your feet to rub or you turn around and they run right in front. They are so drawn to wanting to rub and being there that it does make it hard not to have to happen once in a while. I almost fell the other day because one of my girls darted in front of me as I turned a corner.

Yeah, if they don;t get use to it or forget it then it is "different" and they get more suspicious about it. Now I can't believe they actually forget about it but maybe they do. Or they figure "I haven't done that for a while so why do it now?".

Yeah, it is best. Just try to remember. It is better to be safe than sorry. I am not so good at it either but it is best to be careful. It just could be that one unlucky moment where it gets infected.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh. I was so busy this weekend. And then I was so tired when I wasn't doing anything! I'm still tired, actually.

This is true.

I do hope it's fixed. I'd rather not end up losing all our food. But it hasn't happened again.

Or they come racing through right when you take a step and slam head first into your leg. Or run in front of you and stop. Or run just run right in front of you while you're walking. And none of this being because they want attention, but because they want food or are just in one of those weird moods. I couldn't tell you how many times I've almost fallen because they run in front of my when I'm walking and then I have to try to not kick or step on them. And then, of course, when I do end up kicking them (fortunately never hard enough to hurt) it's entirely my fault and they could never be in the wrong.

It's seems unlikely that they'd forget, but she sure acted like it was her first bath on all four years of her life. Absolutely pathetic looking. This weekend I'll probably bathe the boys. I don't look forward to doing that either.

I'll try to remember. I'm kind of surprised I haven't gotten a bad infection yet. Not even just from cat scratches, but any cuts. I'm not the most cautious person, but have yet to have an issue.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling. I have been feeling like this a lot this spring. :( It has been so busy.

Well that is good. Let's hope it doesn't happen again. Fingers crossed.

YES, I KNOW!! Exactly. It is amazing, isn't it?

They shouldn't forget but do they? I don't know. I know, they can look like it was the most terrible thing a person could do to them. But I am sure she rebounded quickly. Good luck with the boys, but they are pretty good though. I hope Ember deals with Ash well in his clean state. It is always something........ :/

That is good. I have been lucky as well. I have been scratched by ferals, sometimes the ferals will bite the chicken and get a little finger, etc and I have avoided infections BUT it is always best to wash as thoroughly as possible as soon as possible. I think luck does play into it as well. Just try to wash it well next time just to be safe. If something gets infected it can be pretty nasty. Better to be safe than sorry just in case.

One of my girls is on my lap causing me issues. I love them but so hard to type.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah and it's going to continue to be busy. At least for me it is! And it's hot. I don't like the heat.

It is quite amazing. Actually, just earlier today Frost manage to run in between my legs when I took a step so I nearly kicked and tripped over him and couldn't take another step until he moved.

Oh, yeah. They all do fine for the most part. They're more likely to try to jump over your head than attack you. And I have seen Ash consider jumping over my head. Fortunately, I've been able to stop him before he does. Really, bathing them in itself isn't so bad. It's what comes after that I dread. I really don't want to deal with Ember attacking Ash. But she's gotten better. I doubt it'll be totally fine, but maybe it at least won't last as long.

Yeah, it's definitely a good habit to stay in so that way nothing will happen. I'm sure feral scratches would be pretty dangerous since they spend their time outside.

For once, I don't have that problem. It's too warm. Even my laptop is a bit much as this point.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Me too and I don't either. :(

It happens every day here. It is amazing. And after I stumble and try to avoid kicking them they do it again. So they think it is funny or a game? Hmmmmmmmm They just love to rub so much.

Well that is good. Wow, over your head??? Wow. Daredevil. Hahahahaha. It is good that yours are good during the bath. Hopefully Ember will continue to get better. Scent is an important part so removing scent does make it more challenging sadly.

Yeah, agreed. Just to be on the safe side. Ferals can have wild animal in their paws, nails etc. If I think about it I get pretty grossed out. Hahahahahaha

You are LUCKY!!! Mine is on right now even though it is hot. They think the hotter the better!! Ughhhhhhh but what can I do they love it...............

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ridiculous cats. You'd think they'd learn. They're especially bad when it's time for them to eat. I don't know what makes them think that walking in front of me is going to make me move any faster. It doesn't work.

Yeah, they've definitely thought about doing it more than a few times. But I don't have to worry about them scratching or biting. The hardest part is just that they're so squirmy and they're hard to hold onto when they're not wet and soapy. I do hope she continues to get better. I really don't like dealing with all the tension.

It is kind of gross. Honestly, thinking about the cats walking in the litter boxes is kind of gross. I try not to think about it too much. I can only imagine what ferals could get into, not even considering the dirt.

Well, it was very hot in here yesterday. At least to us. We've kept the house around 67 degrees F in here all winter and then all of a sudden it almost 80. It was way too sudden and way too hot. They haven't bothered me much yet today either though and it's not quite as warm.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, yep. Feeding time is the worst. My ferals and inside cats both rub my legs and headbutt my hands as i put the food down. It is amazing I don't fall down more. One feral likes to go on my back when I squat down to give the food. CRAZY!!!!

Wow, that is so funny. Yeah, they don't want to hurt you. It may happen accidentally once in a while but not intentionally thank goodness. I know, like wiggle worms. Vet visits, baths, etc, wiggle around. Hahahahaha I hope she does as well. As she gets more secure and confident she should continue getting better. Sometimes it just takes some time.

I know. :( What's the worst is to see a feral rub on something they just killed and then bring it over to you and then rub on you. Ughhhhhhhh. I try not to think of it either because I would be too grossed out.

Yes, it can be so crazy. One day hot one day cold. It is hard because if a person is not use to it it can feel much worse. My poor ferals were so lazy with the heat. Mine have been around, heat or no heat, they are always around. Hahahahaha but I wouldn't have it any other way. Enjoy your freedom while it lasts, I am sure they will want love soon. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately, they don't headbutt when I put their food down. They all nicely go to where they're supposed to be once they know I'm handing out food, but when I go get the bowls and the food it's chaos.

Yep, they don't usually do anything to hurt me. They're pretty conscious of their claws. I play with Ash sometimes and I can just feel the tips of his claws. They squirm a lot though. Ember was hard to hold onto especially because I was trying to be careful and gentle with her. I didn't want to scare her any more than I already had. Of course, that didn't go over to well. I had to be a little rougher than I wanted to be.

That is very gross. I'm not sure I could ignore that. That's terrible though kind of funny at the same time. It almost makes me glad I don't have ferals though I'd still like to help them someday.

Yeah, that's pretty much me. I adjust to the cold way better than I do the heat and we went from fifties to seventies to fifties to sixties, a few days of seventies, and then eighties. We got a little bit of everything, but none of the mild weather really lasted. It changed too suddenly.

Ember was on my lap earlier. Otherwise I would have typed this up earlier.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cats are so mannerly!! Mine like to even want to go on my plate and either have a sniff or a taste!! Mine can be so bad. :(

That i good. Most of the time cats are pretty good with that but sometimes they try to grip and a person's skin can be in the way. It is hard because being gentle can give them an opportunity to get away. It really is tricky.

Hahahaha, it is!! And they take it real hard if you don't want them to. Ferals that are so sensitive. My feral today was all rollie pollie and I couldn't play with hi all that long because I had things to do and he sulked after I left him. Amazing.

That is the worst when it changes so rapidly. One day hot one day cold then hot again. It can be so uncomfortable. When it is cooler/cold you can out layers on but when it is too hot there isn't much that can be done. I do tend to like the warmer temperatures but not too hot.

Hahahaha, mine is on right now. It has taken me 25 minutes to type this up since she keeps headbutting my hands and getting in my face. She just loves being her typing on the site with me. Hahahahaha

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. They are, aren't they? Being on this site makes me appreciate my cats even more! Ember will start getting closer to my food if I'm eating. Sometimes she reaches out her with her paw and tries to touch it. But for the most part they're pretty well behaved.

Yeah, they're good about watching their claws. The worst that happens is when Ash bites my hand and starts kicking. Neither is very harmful in itself, but combined it can be a little painful. He kind of kicks my hand into his teeth. It was really hard trying to be nice with Ember. Especially because she freaked so bad with the shower head. I had to rinse her under the faucet which meant I had to prevent her from ducking her head into the water.

They really are sensitive. For some reason, I always feel bad walking away from them once I get them purring. Like that's the sign it's too late and I can't leave. Fortunately they don't hold things against me.

It's awful. I prefer cooler temperatures. I like wearing my jeans. I think it's great when it's just cool enough to wear jeans and there's a little breeze. But I'm good from the forties to the seventies.

It's funny because Ember isn't bothering me now, but she was really clinging when I first got home. She followed me from room to room, got under my feet, meowed, rolled over. It was just never enough for her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hahahaha, yep!! They love to try to touch. At least Ember doesn't feel the desire to want to join in though.

That is good that they watch their claws. Yes, they will kick a bit. It is hard when they freak out. Ugghhhhhh, it can be difficult.

Oh, I know. When they are purring and enjoying themselves it is so hard. SO I end up waiting and waiting and petting and petting and they are purring and purring. It is like "ok, when will you get tired of this". It takes so long. It is good they don't hold it against you. It is so hard because I feel so bad but sometimes it can't be helped.

That is pretty good. I get cold pretty fast so too cold is not good but neither is too hot. But of course the weather is the weather and I just layer up if it is cold (or have the cats keep me warm and vice versa).

Wow, a moment of freedom. I have one on me now. In fact, she is headbutting my hand so it is really difficult to type. They can get clingy after a person is gone for a while. It is like "wow, I missed you!". It is pretty cool but it can be hard when a person is trying to get things in place and ready etc. Everything seems to just take longer because they need their attention. But is is nice that they want to be loved. The aloof cat doesn't seem to exist in our homes.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She gets pretty close. Especially if she's gone a few days without getting any scraps. The longer she goes without, the more desperate she gets. I usually give her a few bites 2-3 times a week when I have something safe. Just tiny bites to appease her.

It is tough. I ended up not bathing the boys this weekend. Oops. I got busy. I'll do it eventually.

Yeah, I have problems when I start petting them while they're on the cat tree because I can't stand there forever. It gets kind of uncomfortable. So I usually do a quick pet and leave before I can hear them purring. I also started giving them a couple of pats when I leave so that way they'd know I'm walking away and it's not sudden.

Oh, I don't. Actually, I can get cold any time of the year. Even in the middle of summer. I freeze if I'm doing nothing and get drowsy. It sucks because I go to bed hot and sleep cold. And I have bad circulation in my hands and feet. But I'm fine with cold weather.

No one has been bothering me too much. I'm surprised since we came in real quick earlier, left, and then came back. I would have thought Ember would be a bit more clingy, but she hasn't bothered me much.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can just picture her now. I bet she is cute when she does that!!

Well, I am sure it wasn't urgent. I hope when you do bathe them it goes well.

Yeah, that is the worst when they start purring when a person is in an uncomfortable position. That is a smart way to handle it and a very good way to get them use to a quick pat and move on.

I can get cold in the summer as well. If I am sedentary I can get cold as well even if it is warm. It is interesting you are good with cold weather in spite of this.

That is interesting. Maybe it is too warm? Mine have been clingy lately. Enjoy the peace while it lasts. :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is pretty cute. Well, until she tries take my food off of my plate. She usually starts grabbing my hand which is when I know she's getting desperate.

I hope so too.

It is. Or when I get on the floor and Ember crawls under me. She doesn't even have to be purring, I'll stay there until she leaves. I thought it would be nice if I had something to indicate I was leaving so they didn't think I was just walking away from them.

I thought it was kind of interesting too. I don't know why I can handle the cold so well. Maybe because I'm used to it? I don't know. I know I get cold just laying on the couch though.

I will enjoy it though I will enjoy having them around again as well.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds VERY cute. Exactly. They usually do show interest before actually going for it. Hahahaha, they really are something.

Yeah. :/ It isn't something that one looks forward to.

Oh I know. I had a feral that would go underneath me when I was squatting down to feed them or pet them. And I always felt terrible to get up but my legs couldn't handle staying like that forever. Your way is a great idea to let them know.

It is. It must be something that helps you handle it better.It could be because you get use to it. I think there is a blood thickness as well. But circulation is a big part of handling the cold also. And I think maybe iron in the blood. Yeah, I can get cold even in warm temperature if I am sitting. It can be awful to get so cold.

Yeah, it is kind of nice but so is some peace (of which I haven't had in a while). One of my girls was so clingy all night last night. I didn't get any sleep. Cuddling and purring and then some walking on me. What a night!!! But I wouldn't want the alternative but it would be nice if she just slept without moving and purring as much.

But if that is all I have to worry about it isn't so bad.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is. Too cute for her own good, really. It's almost annoying. Especially when I want to be bad at her, but I feel bad for being mad at her and she's so cute it's hard to be anyway.

Yeah, she'll crawl under me if I'm crouched down sometimes. Usually I'll make the mistake of getting on all fours to pet her and then she'll make herself comfortable underneath me. It's a little better than crouching, but not a ton.

My circulation is terrible. I'm pretty much known for having cold hands though it's getting too warm for my hands to be able to keep up. They're usually like ice. That's definitely worse in the winter, but it doesn't bother me much. At least not until they start hurting. That's the only difference in the summer vs. the winter though. It happens more easily when it's cold, but it can happen when it's warm too.

Ah, they're all pretty much done sleeping with me. That's mostly just a winter thing. The other night Frost did sleep with me though. It was a bit unusual. He laid next to my stomach instead of by my pillows and he stayed the entire night. I woke up with him the next morning and he only left when it was about time for him to eat. Speaking of the devil, he just walked across my stomach.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean. Too funny.

YEP!!! They LOVE to do that. It is never comfortable especially as time passes. :(

Me too. No matter what I do my hands are cold usually. It does get better when it is hot. Ughhhhhhh when it is cold................

Lucky you. It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold, mine often do depending on their mood I guess. Hahahahaha, yep and mine like to stop and do a little kneading. Always fun.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't even take long before it's uncomfortable. I'm sure it feels like I get stuck there longer than I actually do. It never lasts long, but I definitely have mixed feelings when she leaves.

I wish my fingers stayed cold during the summer. I always find cold fingers when it's warm helps me manage the heat. They can get a bit chilled, but nothing like they do in the winter. They can get painful then.

Well, I freeze when I sleep so it wouldn't really bother me if they did sleep with me during the summer. Frost has done it a couple of times which was a bit odd, but it doesn't happen much in the warm weather. And it's already hot!

I have to admit, Ash has been a bit frustrating lately. Yesterday he was yowling quite a bit. Several times throughout the day. And Ember meowed probably close to half the day too
(I'm not even sure if I'm exaggerating. And she meowed this morning as well!)
, so, as you can imagine, there was a lot of meowing going on. And then Ash decided he needed attention at 5:30 a.m. so he came into my room yowling and jumped up to headbutt me. This morning I caught him in Frost's bowl three times. He doesn't even bother trying to hide it or anything. I moved him away and he went right back.