Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ughhhhhh. I just one of the girls on my lap causing me issues but not that issue thank goodness. She just loves you too much!!

That is good. Stress is always there, learning how to handle it is really key. Not easy and easier said than done but it does help.

I wouldn't worry. It could just be in her DNA. It is hard to know. The key is you are making progress with her as you point out. Everything you have done has been great and is working!!

That is not uncommon for cats. It is a survival instinct. It seems to me she has a great heart and is loving. That is the main thing. Her personality sounds really loving which is wonderful. Hahahaha, yep, cats love to do that "why are you typing when you should be petting me!!" Mine has been doing that since I started her. Begging for attention. Too funny!! Yep, it makes it difficult and makes things take longer but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Even in separate containers the zipper sounds nice. Yep, sounds familiar. At least one of yours ends up eating it. I have to throw it out more often than I would like. The food you are giving is good food from my understanding so you have options going forward which is great.

Awwwwwww, that is sweet. It is great you are proud of her and you should be. Being emotional is good. Especially when it comes to love and positive things. I know what you mean, it is such a powerful feeling it is hard to describe the pride as to how far someone can come. Sometimes we get surprised. In a great way. It is wonderful Ember behaved like that. Now there can be ups and downs depending on a multitude of things but there is no question Ember has broken out of a certain way in a really positive way. It is fantastic!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol. Fortunately my draft was saved. I love that about this site. It automatically saves what I'm typing so it's there if something happens and I don't have to retype the whole thing.

Yeah, I could definitely learn how to handle it better. Essential oils help though.

I'm pretty sure it is. Not from her mother, but from her father. Her mother was fearless. We only ever caught glimpses of the assumed father. But she is doing much better and I'm happy with her progress. I still hate to see her fearful though.

She is very loving. She requires a bit of patience, but it's hard to get mad at her and even harder to stay mad. Even when she is making typing hard. She thinks you should always be petting her. Well, most of the time. She likes her space sometimes. It's funny because she's the only one who really does that when I'm typing. Frost will mess me up, but he does it walking across me to lay down on my other side, not actually trying to get attention.

Yeah, but they really don't need the extra food! However, this may just be my imagination, but since mixing in these new foods, I haven't been catching them in each other's bowls as much. I can't guarantee that this is true though. Maybe I'm just not paying much attention, but honestly the only one I've seen eating someone else's food is Ash who still gets into Frost's food, but even then it's only once, maybe twice. And I haven't seen Frost eat Ember's food despite the fact that he's still not eating much.

It is very hard to explain. It would be harder, I'm sure, to someone who doesn't understand what it's like to take this sort of journey and with a cat. But she means a lot to me and I'm so happy to see her come out of her shell a little more. Though sometimes I wish I could hide her away and keep her for myself, it's wonderful that she's been coming out for people quicker and now trusting a strange dog at least to some extent.

The dog was back yesterday and things went even better. She's such a tiny little thing and she was very timid when she first came, but she's slowly getting more confident. Apparently she was very sheltered in her last house. No cats, just a couple other dogs and one was her sibling. And apparently they didn't even have a TV. So she was scared of the cats and of Stella at first, but she's getting more confident and starting to play. But the cats did even better than they did last time. I was sitting on the floor with the puppy on my lap when Ash came over, rubbing on me and then flopped down and rolled on his back. Then Ember rolled on her back again and meowed at the dog like she does Stella though she kept her distance. She did let the puppy pass maybe a foot or so away, but once she was closer than that Ember spit a little and lurched up. Ember followed her a bit too and went down the hall which made me a little nervous because 1. that's a tight space and 2. that's where Ember's safe room is and she doesn't like being cut off from it. But then apparently Frost startled the puppy and she raced backwards, right into Ember! I thought for sure it would be a fight right then, but nothing happen. Ember was trapped against the wall for a few seconds, but didn't do anything. There was only once that Ember started lifting a paw the entire time and all I had to do was say her name and she put it back down.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, very true but I have lost posts a few times as well. :(

We all could!!! That is good, anything that can help in a good safe way is good.

Interesting. It is possible. Was she a bit protected by her mom when she was a kitten? I am guessing she isn't as much fearful as she is cautious. I do think she has a great life so I wouldn't worry about her too much. I think you will see more progress in her.

I know what you mean. I actually have two like her. Serious attention grabbers. Hahahahaha Always her when I am typing like it is "our" time. A habit, a part of the normal day. It isn't a bad thing. Yes, the others don't need that "love" time. It is interesting, isn't it?

I know, I have one like that. And cats often like what someone else has. As long as they are not gaining weight then I wouldn't worry too much. Frost's metabolism may have just slowed down. He is about 8?

Yes it is hard to explain but I know exactly how it is. And yes, if someone hasn't had that experience with a cat or a person then it is even harder to explain or for them to understand. Oh yes, there is no question the bond goes both ways. It is wonderful for her to get more comfortable and you are the reason.

WOW, that is GREAT!!! I am not too surprised by Ash doing that (again exposing their belly is a huge sign of trust) but it is wonderful Ember did that as well AND did not get "funny" even when the situation was precarious. Ember did WODNERFULLY!!! I am proud of her so I can imagine how proud of her you are. AND Ember listened to you. FANTASTIC!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I have too, but it definitely helps. Normally if I lose anything, it's just the last piece of a sentence or maybe a couple of sentences.

Yeah, though the essential oils cause some stress too since not all are safe for cats, so I have to worry about that. But sometimes I wonder if I need to worry as much as I do. I can't see how essential oils are more dangerous than all the chemicals and stuff we use to clean house and whatnot. We've started using lemongrass oil for cleaning instead.

Not really, but there weren't many situations where Midnight had to be protective. It was mostly just the two of us with her and, like I said, she would leave the kittens with me no problem. Honestly, for as cat aggressive as she was, I would have expected her to be more protective. We'd switch who got free range of the house and she would leave the kittens on their own to wander the house even with the boys being the next room over. She was a pretty laid back mother and never threw a fit when we took the kittens away(when they were old enough) to socialize them with the boys. I'm not too worried about Ember. I'd just like to see her as comfortable in her surroundings as possible.

Well, I have come to realize that she just wants on my lap. I just usually have something on it, so she lays on whatever it is. When I can get it around her, I often move my laptop so that way she doesn't lay on it. Then she's content to lay on my lap. But she definitely likes having all the attention as well. She won't even let me have one hand to do anything with. She wants both. The varying wants and needs of cats is definitely interesting. Though, then again, what part of them isn't?

Frost and Ash are turning seven this year, so yeah, getting close to there. It's kind of a scary thought though. I don't want them to get older. He could do with a little weight gain. He is really light compared to the rest of them. Easier to pick up, but he's not much smaller than Ash. He shouldn't be so much lighter. He was eating the other two's food more than his own. I'm kind of glad he's not doing that so much anymore, but I would like him to eat more of his own food. I don't even feed him much because I know he won't eat it and he still only eats maybe half.

I'm happy to do what I can for her. For them all. They really deserve the best. Despite the troubles they sometimes give me, I have to keep in mind that they're really well behaved cats. I've read so many threads about people with behavioral problems, problems I've never had to deal with. But if I can help Ember feel more comfortable, then I will.

Ash doing it is a little surprising. I mean, for only the third visit. When we introduced Ember to them, and again when we introduced Stella, he wasn't aggressive, but he tended to avoid them. He growled if they got too close, but mostly stayed up high and ran from them. I would have expected him to avoid the puppy a little more at this point. Frost is the only one I would have expected to be that comfortable with the puppy and he's the only one who hasn't exposed his belly. Ember did do very well though. I am beyond impressed with her and I'm so very proud. She's really come a long way. Her listening to me is a great bonus too though I honestly don't think she'll hurt the dog. She had plenty of chances to do so when we introduced Stella and she's doing better now than she did then.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, definitely.

I did not know that. I know, I worry about everything too. I try to use as little of stuff as possible. Basic soap and water and wet rags etc. I just worry about things. And I deal with ferals so I always worry about bringing something in. Neverending. :(

Interesting. She sounds like she really trusted you. That is great. It sounds like Ember is very comfortable and she has definitely been making progress which is great.

They LOVE laps. I have on on mine now causing trouble for me to type. Of course she wants my hands as well. Purring away right now. Yep, sounds so familiar!!! SO true!! VERY interesting!!

I have two that are turning 8. I know, I can't believe it either. It seems like yesterday they came around and were feral kittens. But we have to enjoy every moment we have with them. Like right now with her in my lap, sure it makes it hard to type but it is wonderful to have this moment. The appetites do start to slow down as do their activity levels. My girl on my lap now is light and compared to her brother who is big. Same litter different body shapes. I am going through the same thing with this one. She is just not eating as much (unless of course it is my dinner). I know it is concerning and worrying but we just have to watch and make sure they act normal and eat as much as possible. Some cats just eat less as well.

You do a great job. Yes, it is scary to read the problems others have. I think the humans have a lot to do with it to be honest. We can know what needs to be done but the humans have to do it. And it is about love. I think some people don't realize how much the humans have an impact on the behavior. :/ You have great cats but I also think the way you love them is a big reason for your success with them.

That is interesting. Don't they surprise us sometimes? We think we know and then they surprise us. Yes, you should be proud of Ember. I think they would only hurt someone else if they felt really threatened. Listening is REALLY GREAT and shows how much progress has been made. Terrific!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. The majority are toxic to cats in one way or another. But there's a lot of back and forth on it. Some say peppermint is toxic, some use it as flea repellent. Some say lavender is safe, some say it's not, and still more say it depends on the kind. I definitely worry too, but I wonder if I'm worrying too much about the wrong thing. Everything should be done with caution, but are these oils worse than chemicals? I don't know. We use stuff without even thinking about the dangers and yet are terrified of something much simpler. It's confusing.

She was a very trusting cat. Loved everyone who wasn't a cat. Well, I don't know how she was with dogs. Ember is definitely doing better than she was.

Lol. I'm surprisingly cat-free. She's content on the cat tree in the sun for now. I'll be getting busy in a minute, but I'm sure she'll catch me later.

I do hope it's nothing, but I worry about him. He usually acts like he wants to eat until I put the bowl down. Then he walks away. He goes back to it later. The problem is there's not usually much left by then because someone else has gotten to it. I'm going to try putting him up higher. He does seem to like to eat when the food has been picked up, but I'm not sure if it's not just a coincidence. Or I might just shut him in a room by himself because I caught him at both of the other bowls. I just don't know where to put him. The storage room doesn't get any AC/heat, Ember is in my room, the bathroom is just unsanitary and also no AC/heat though that wouldn't be as bad as the storage room. I'm not sure if my mom would let me feed him in her room.

I do agree, it's a lot about the humans and what the humans do. I honestly don't know what I did to my cats though. It seems like so many people, people who do love their cats, have so many problems. Like that whole rebel teen phase people talk about. I had never heard of that until I got on this site. Never dealt with it. And it seems like a bit much to say it's a coincidence when I have three cats. Though Ash does keep tearing the curtains down. And it's always in the middle of the night. But it might just be me. I break animals. My cousin handed me their "vicious" cat and he was the sweetest thing I've ever met. Just laid in my arms and purred. Though apparently he does have his moments. But I also got to hold two little chicks and they both just immediately curled up and fell asleep in my hands when they didn't do that for anyone else.

Yes, they make sure they surprise me every now and then. And Ember's behavior was most surprising of all. In a good way, of course. I'm very happy she's feeling more confident. I don't think they would hurt anyone either really. It would take quite a bit. Well, other than Ash. He's not afraid to let you know how he feels, but he's usually cautious in doing so too. Ember is the only one who listens to me. It makes things much easier with her, but the other two often just ignore me.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I did not know that. That s good to know. Yeah, I hear you. One day coffee is good for you the next it will cause cancer. And on and on. Ughhhhh. Who knows. I guess all we can do is try to be cautious and watch them for any changes.

Some cats are like that. I have seen so many different kinds of cats. And some change once they come inside etc. It is amazing. It is great that Ember is doing even better.

Wow!! I am not, she is right here causing me issues. Hahaha

I know, it is hard. Some cats eat more in smaller increments. Grazers. A little now, a little in a little bit. I have one like that. I just wonder if the timing for him has shifted. Some cats don't like to eat first thing in the morning. More during the night. Just keep trying different things. At least he does want to eat the others food so he has an appetite. As long as he is not losing weight and acts normal I wouldn't worry too much. Just trying and do your best.

I think it is more than loving the cats. It is love and that vibe and that trust and confidence and focus. It is hard to explain. But you have it. That aura. You focus on them and really love them and do things for them. So I guess it does come down to true love. And stress matters. That is pretty impressive with the other cat and the chicks. Animal whisperer.

That is so great. Yeah, some cat listen less than others. But Ash and Frost are very good cats and don't really cause trouble so maybe they think "I know, I'll be good". Hahahahahaha. It is great Ember listens and is behaving well!! You two have such a bond, it is really cool.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's ridiculous sometimes. But I'm trying to be careful with this. I'd like to think that using essential oils is better than chemicals, but who knows? I wish I didn't have to be so careful though. The oils really do help so it's a bit frustrating not being able to use them much, but I'll do anything for the cats of course.

Midnight was definitely a very friendly cat, inside or out.

Ember got on me and shoved her head into my heads for a couple of minutes. Then she went off and tried to get the dog's attention. The dog did not appreciate it.

I'll keep trying. I think he'd benefit from free feeding, but I don't think Ember would do well with it. Maybe if I can get Ember to a healthy weight I'll try, but I'm afraid she'd feel the need to eat it all in one go and make herself sick. I don't think she likes leaving food. Sometimes she tries to bury it. I might lock him up though. That'll give him some time away from the others. He can't eat their food, they can't eat his, and maybe putting the bowl a little more out of the way will give him more time to eat before they get to it. I don't know yet. I did weigh him last night and it said he weighed 10.8lbs compared to his previous 9. I'm not sure if it's accurate though. I have to weigh myself and then weigh myself holding him and the scale will give a slightly different weight every time you get on it. And that's close to Ash's weight who feels a lot heavier than him.

I'm not a very confident person so I'm actually a bit surprised I do so well with animals, but I guess they can sense more than just my nerves. I'm not always the most trusting because you never know what some animals have gone through, but I don't hold anything against them and I do love all animals. It was a bit funny with the chicks though. Even the woman working there seemed a bit amazed that they just fell asleep.

Lol. Maybe. But Ember is more well behaved than either of them. Ash goes crazy at night and tears down the curtains, and Frost is on the table and counters a lot. But they're all good cats compared to a lot of other cats.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. It is so tricky. I agree with you, I too will do anything for the cats. I forgo a lot of things because of them just to be safe.

That is cool. She was friendly because she trusted. That has everything to do with the humans that interacted with her.

Hahahaha, yep. Sounds like my experience every time. "Hey, don't type, pet my head, let me get my scent all over you by rubbing on your hands!" Hahahahaha. Ember, wanted to give and be loved. Pretty cool.

Yeah, it is hard because some cats are not good at free feeding. And some cats like you mention like to eat everything. It is hard. And you have to be careful about taking territory away from a cat. I know, it is so hard to weigh them. If Ash feels heavier than he probably is and probably by a decent amount. I would just keep trying to weigh him just to see. If you don't think he is losing weight then he probably isn't losing or losing much.

Maybe you are more confident than you think? Because animals can sense nerves and that usually puts them on the defensive. I see it all the time with ferals. People who have never dealt with them and they are a little anxious the cats really change with that. Even when I can't see it in a person the cats pick up on it. It is amazing. So I am wondering if you actually exert more confidence when with animals even if you think you aren't and maybe because you approach them with caution (for lack of a better word) because you don't know their history etc, maybe it actually causes you to be more confident? Something is working for some reason. You must exude confidence to them, they are picking up on something and feeling safe and secure.

Hahahaha, that is normal cat behavior. Mischievous and a bit naughty but nothing too severe. They just can resist certain things to explore or play with. Mine will get "wild" and start chasing each other up and down, all over. Just having fun, playing. It is cute but it can get wild. Hahahahaha. When they do that in the middle of the night it is like "come on now, time to sleep". Sometimes they just have too much energy. One of mind likes to get a midnight snack of human food if a cabinet is accidentally left open. Every night we have to make sure all the cabinets are closed. Hahahahaha.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being cautious can get a bit annoying though. I have yet to find anything I'd give them up over and never will, but it would be nice if I could have essential oils and plants without worrying. But Frost eats plants so I have to be careful even with the "safe" ones because even the ones that aren't toxic aren't good for them. But I find ways around it.

She definitely wasn't feral, that's for sure.

Ember was on me earlier when I was trying to type something I had to finish. She ended up laying on my arms with her head on the back of my hand and I had to type like that. That was after she finished shoving her head against my hand, of course. I didn't want to pet her and encourage her, but I couldn't bring myself to move her either.

It doesn't feel like Frost is losing weight, but I'm not the most observant person and my memory is terrible so I can't exactly recall just how he felt before. Ash might have put weight on though. I'll probably have to weigh all of them and compare them. It would be nice if Frost had put some on, but I don't think he feels like 10.8lbs. And at this point, I'm not sure what else I could do other than locking him up for a short period of time. I need him to eat more and the other two to eat less. I think he'd be fine with it as long as he wasn't in there for too long.

I don't know, maybe. I'd like to feel my confident than I do. I have to admit, I tend to be quite cautious around animals I don't know. I can read body language fairly well which contributes to how I feel and helps me, but at times it can be hard to tell the difference between happy excitement and aggressive excitement when it comes to dogs. Barking and tail wagging don't always mean the same thing. Maybe I just come off as harmless somehow or perhaps they can sense I'd like to be friends with them. I couldn't really tell you what they pick up from me. I'm a nervous person and yet I don't seem to get the reaction expected from animals when around a nervous person.

I remind myself we're lucky we only have one cat that goes crazy at night. They all have their moments during the day, but at night it's only Ash. He's been causing quite a bit of trouble though. I have the patience to deal with him, but it was terrifying when he pulled the curtains down. The entire rod fell with them and we're both too short to put it back up. And I'm trying to play with them every day, but Ash hasn't been showing much interest. I'm glad none of mine try to get into human food though. Sometimes if it's on the stove they will, but nothing else. I think they got into the trashcan once because there was chicken in it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. :/ I always put them first as well. Cats are so inquisitive and wanting to get into things, it does make it hard.

Sounds like it but I do believe that had a lot to do with the humans involved.

Hahahaha, yep, sounds like my every day occurrence. I know exactly how Ember was, my girl does that all the time.

I know, it is hard. Just try to weigh him and then you can always try having him separated and see how he does. If he and the others handle it then you'll know. Right now one of my ferals is not eating all that well and one of my girls inside isn't either. They both act fine but they are eating less. Of course, that didn't stop my girl from going into the cabinet to eat some cookies!! (we just talked about this and last night she does this). Arghhhhhhhhh. How she opened it I have no idea.

It is interesting. You are right to be cautious and to analyze the different animal body language. But there is definitely something they are sensing from you that is a positive. It is actually very fascinating. I always thought animals can sense goodness. So maybe they look past any nervousness and see the genuine goodness? It is definitely something that they are picking up on and feeling safe and secure.

Yeah, you are lucky. I am lucky too for the most part. Though I really wasn't happy with my girl eating cookies last night!!! Sure, cats find curtains much more fun than toys. He might even try to climb up them. "Oh look, I can climb this!!" Cats.....................

Now I have to figure out how the secure the cabinets more. They are closed and pretty tight but she sure is smart and strong to open them. Determined. After she ate she curled up in my arm to sleep all night. Sure, eat cookies and go to sleep............... She is lucky I didn't know what she did at that point. Some days.........................

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very hard. Even trying to recycle is difficult with a plastic chewing cat. There's always someone who wants to eat something.

I'll try to keep up on his weight and make sure he's not losing. I'm still unsure about locking him up, but it's probably worth a try. He did start eating a little better though. He ate nearly all his food this morning and I caught up eating what was left (on the counter, of course) not that long ago. Lol. I'm lucky my cats don't get into human food too much. Of course, it could be a problem with Frost if he stops eating completely. I can't even tempt him with human food! He rarely takes anything.

Maybe. I don't know. All I know is I've never really had any trouble with animals. There are dogs on the street that don't act so friendly, but I don't know anything about them to say if they're actually aggressive. The dogs at the shelter reacted differently to me than they did to my mom too. If she opened the door, they mostly just sniffed her. If I did it, they were practically on top of me. I had to bend down to get their bowls and they would be over my head. One sniffed my mom and walked away. When I went in, she jumped on me. She wasn't a small dog either. She was in their extra large kennel. The only animals that give me any trouble are geese and they're just mean. But even they don't bother me too much.

Considering there are holes in the dining room curtains and the ones in my bedroom, I'm pretty sure he's climbing them. He doesn't do it in front of us often, but once I saw him jump from the ground to over half way up the curtains and then hung there for a moment before jumping down. They're tall curtains too. My blinds are broken as well though I think I helped contribute to that. They were brand new and in perfect condition when we first moved in. I don't think it even took a year before there was a fairly large gap in them.

They can be very smart and determined when they want something.
It is funny how they just seem to know they can and did get away with something. My cats sometimes just sit on the table or counter and watch me walk right to them like that's just where they're supposed to be even though they know that's no allowed. I've seen them curl up in a basket (that had stuff in it and they did not fit in) in the middle of the table.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So true. :( Which cat chews plastic?

That's good that he ate well. I think you would notice if he was losing a lot of weight. If a cat stops eating completely there is usually a bad reason. So hopefully we don't come to that for a long while. Just do your best, I am not a fan of closing off territory but if he is a grazer it might have to be considered. It is tricky.

That is very interesting. I always believed animals are great judges of character. Yeah, geese can be mean.

Well, to a cat a curtain is like a rope, something to climb and have fun with. Same with blinds. "Hey, I can climb that, I'm gonna do it!". Hahahaha, yep, pretty normal. Even though it is annoying.

EXACTLY!! It is like "I know I am loved and can do anything". It is amazing. I worry about getting something that would be bad for them. I try to keep everything away that could be dangerous but once in a while things can slip through. They are something. I have often found them in places they shouldn't be and it is like "whatever". Hahahaha, cats.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frost chews plastic and plants. Ash chews everything else. Like cardboard. And tape on cardboard boxes. And the bristles of their brush.

I think I would notice if he was losing a lot too. If he lost too much more then I'd be able to feel his ribs pretty clearly. I can sort of feel them now if I put some pressure on him, but it's not bad. I think I'm going to put off closing him in a room. Right now he's eating pretty well. Not great, but he's eating around half his food, give or take a little. If he stops again, I'll try isolating him.

Well, I'm pleased to have their approval.

Yeah and the sun keeps blinding me through the window! Other than that, it doesn't really bother me. I'd just prefer it if he didn't give me a heart attack in the middle of the night. I'm sure the wall would appreciate not having the curtain rod ripped out of it too.

I worry too, especially since there's so many things that could hurt them. But what can you do? I think it's pretty much impossible to completely cat-proof anything. They're too smart, too agile. To be honest though, I'm about ready to give up on the fight of keeping them off the table and counters. My mom doesn't like it. It's kind of pointless though. They know we can't do anything about it if we're not there, so they just wait until we're gone or in bed. It's not like their fur isn't already everywhere anyway. Frost actually has been getting away with being on the counter because I'd rather he eat than stay off the counter.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do like to chew on things. :(

Yeah, I think you would know. It doesn't sound like he is doing poorly. Usually you can see before the hips if they are losing weight. Yeah, I always try not to take territory away if I don't have to. As long as he is eating pretty well like now I think you are doing the right thing. His metabolism may have just slowed down. They do eat less as they get older and as long as they act normal and aren't losing weight or are at a normal weight then it usually is ok. Just keep an eye on him.

It is cool.

I know. :( It can be frustrating. :(

Oh, I know. All we can do is our best. I try to cat proof things but there is always something. But as long as it isn't anything too bad then I don't worry too much. But I always worry I miss something. But they have a mind of their own and they are smart to wait for a time where they can't be seen............ Oh well.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do. Though I don't have the same problems with Ember.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on him. The only reason his weight isn't a huge concern for me is because it wasn't for the vet. They wouldn't have even mentioned it if we hadn't asked and I think they would have said something if he had been too scrawny. I don't know what to do with him though because he's back to changing what he wants. He was eating the Wellness dry food, but now he's eating the Friskies wet. I have his even meal as half of each, but eating all of one isn't really enough. He is eating the dry in the morning fairly well though.

I worry a lot because I don't know everything that's bad. There's so many different things and my memory is terrible, so there's no way I can remember everything. But a lot of it gets cleaned up pretty quickly. They really are smart. They know how to get around the rules.

Stella went to the vet to get her rabies shot and we found out she's "a little chubby." I have two overweight animals. Oops. She should be easier to get back to normal. Well, somewhat. She's almost 18lbs and the vet said she should be 14. I don't think we're getting her down that far. I swear she's mostly muscle. But I'm not entirely happy with her today. She's growled at Ember twice! She was laying by me and Ember came over looking for a place to lay, sniffed the dog, and Stella growled at her. It would have been one thing if Ember was walking on her because that does happen and I can see that being uncomfortable, but the cat was barely touching her.

I am a bit more protective than usual though because I bathed Ember and I feel bad about it. She was so scared and she drew blood on me for the first time. It wasn't intentional. She was wet and soapy and couldn't get a grip on the bathtub. I was holding her up trying to rinse her belly and she was a bit panicky. For the most part she was pretty gentle. She held a grudge against me for probably close to two hours. She'd sit by me, but I wasn't allowed to touch her. Then the dog growled at her when she was looking for warmth... Her little ears were cold even though she was mostly dry at that point.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is good. I have 2 that do and the others don't. Not sure why buy most do.

That is good the vet wasn't concerned. Sometimes they are rushed and miss things so it is good you asked but the fact they weren't worried is good. Some cats get bored with their food and need variety. I wonder if Frost is like that. At least he is eating well in the morning.

I hear you, it is hard and I worry too. All we can do is our best. Yes, they do get around the rules................

Some animals are more likely to be heavier. It is hard but do your best. Exercise and meal size. If it is muscle then it is what it is. Stella might have been grumpy because of the vet. That doesn't sound like her. Poor Ember.

Awwwwwwww. Yeah, it is not easy. And some cats can't be bathed. I have 2 like that. :( They can hold a grudge and I am sure Ember didn't mean to hurt you. Poor Ember, I know how it is, I feel so bad but they forgive fairly quickly.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ember is an odd one. Maybe because her father was feral? Perhaps there's less curiosity and more caution? I don't know, but I'm not sure that I've ever seen her chew on plastic or try to eat plants or whatever else. She doesn't get on the counters as much as them, only when there's food. She behaves at night(mostly), doesn't pull down curtains, etc. Honestly, besides her insecurity, the worst problem I have with her is her love of food. She loves plastic bags and bags in general, but she mostly pushes her nose into them and sometimes tries to climb in them.

I don't know about him. He is eating fairly well though. Better, at least. Consistently. It's not so back and forth and barely at all. I hope it stays that way. We've had a bit of trouble timing getting their new food though. We got low and had to go get more of the old. We have to order the American Journey so we have to get it while we still have enough to wait for it to get here and then to mix.

That is true. We just have to hope our best in enough.

Well, the two things didn't happen the same day, but I think it was a bit rough on her. She got two shots and some blood drawn. The day of the growling was a bit chaotic too. Our power went out. There's something wrong. We heard some loud noises last week right outside our house and lost electricity, but it was on in less than half an hour. This time we heard the noise further off and the power was out until around nine. I think the noises spooked her. It happened four, maybe five times. She was acting a bit strange when I got home. Overly excited, whiny, clingy, panting heavily...

I've honestly never had a cat hold a grudge against me for two hours... In fact, I'm sure they've ever actually held a grudge against me. I think it's just been a while though. I don't think she's had a bath since last summer. But it got to the point that I was having a skin reaction to her basically every day. I'm still debating on if it's worth putting her through it again though. The reactions don't really bother me. They last 10-15 minutes and itch a little. The reaction to the scratch looked much worse. And I hated seeing her so scared. I gave up on using the showerhead because that seemed to spook her worse.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say Ember is very normal to be honest. Actually, she is really well behaved. Some cats are more cautious and less curious. I am not sure why though. All mine are ferals and they run the gamut of behavior. Some are more mischievous than others.

I am glad he is eating better. Yeah, it is always tricky with new food and making sure they have it etc.

SO true.

Yes, vet visits can do that. AND having loud noises, power issues, etc can cause stress and issues. I would give the power company a call to see what is going on. It would be good to know just in case something strange is going on. Poor Stella, a lot was going on.

You are lucky. I have had cats hold a grudge for about a day once. They will do that so I am glad Ember didn't. Yeah, some cats just don't like baths. I have allergies so I get sneezy and skin reactions as well but I decided that some cats just can't take it and as long as they don't have issues (scratching, etc) then I can live with my issues to save them from the trauma of baths.

Just make sure you wash a scratch really well just so nothing happens. They do look worse than they are but it is always best to wash them right away just to be safe.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very well behaved. Which is what makes her weird. Not that that's a bad thing though. Two trouble makers are enough. She's definitely more cautious. Sometimes I wonder if Frost is scared of anything. Other than the basement, that is. But he still tries to get down though... He just doesn't know what to do with himself once he's there.

It's definitely difficult. And the more you have, the harder it gets.

Well, my mom reported it the second time, but it's an automated thing. They don't even answer the phone. It's just if you have this problem, press this number. And at that time they didn't know what the problem was. The first time it happened it was extremely windy. It was actually on the news the next day that some powerlines were lighting on fire. No clue what happened the second time. I didn't think the noise would have such an effect on Stella though. She got excited, but she does that at every noise that may or may not be a person.

I am lucky. They've never held a grudge against me for that long. The only other time I can think of that they really held something against me was years ago, probably before Ember came to us. I had put on my shoes and took a step back, but Ash was sitting there. I had no idea. He hadn't been there a moment ago and there he was, just sitting there. I stepped on his tail. He hissed, slapped at me though made no contact, and wouldn't let me touch him. I couldn't get him to forgive me before I left, but he was fine when I got back.

Ember used to do okay with a bath. I mean, she didn't like it, but she never gave me much trouble and she got over it quickly. She was so upset I just about quit not even half way through. I'm not sure if I'll ever do it again. I'm definitely willing to deal with it for her, but a reaction every day is a bit much.

Well, I could probably do a bit better. I rinsed it when I saw the blood, but I didn't wash it for a while. I couldn't let go of the cat right then and then I sat in my room with her for a while before I noticed it was all puffed up and broke out. It looks fine now though.