Struggling With Play Time

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very interesting. I LOVE that Ember does that!! That sounds so cute. None of mine do that, I should see if I can get one of my girls to try it, she might be able to eventually.

I type "adn" all the time. Or "teh" or many other words. You are not alone for sure. A friend of mine is an actress. She said the best acting she ever did was when she wasn't "acting" she was "feeling" the part. In order words, she didn't think about acting or walking etc she just felt it and let it come out. She said when you walk across a room do you think about putting your foot in front and moving your other leg etc or do you just do it. I thought that was very interesting. I just thought of that thinking about our conversation. Just feel the words, try not to think about how they should come out etc. I don't know if that makes sense but I guess just feel it and say it and don't think about the process. I honestly don't think you will humiliate yourself and the more you do it the more confidence you will build and the better you will do. Just like my actress friend.

I don't like confrontation either, I know what you mean. I think most people are like us. Most people are pretty good. You are smart and I know oyu (I need to add I type oyu instead of you as well as you can see I just did) can tell the good from the bad. Just choose the path you want but I hope you don't shy away from a path for no good reason.

EXACTLY. I will take the others over roll over any day!! It is amazing. I agree "sit pretty" is more impressive!! It is interesting, isn't it?

It is funny, I just remembered that one of my girls loves to reach out when she wants love. I should really work with her on that. I never really thought about it in your way. That is helpful, thanks!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is cute. She does a lot to get food. Sometimes she tries grabbing my hand to bring the food to her. I don't think it's too hard of a trick to teach though. It just depends on whether or not they're willing to do it. Frost has done it a few times, but sometimes he just chooses not to. I haven't tried with Ash yet since he's been learning high five.

It is interesting and very smart. I think the results are always the best when you don't have to think about it too much. At least, it is with any form of art. That's when my writing is the best too. When I'm able to simple type it out without stopping and I don't have to think about it too much. Still, it's often easier said than done. Typing an essay for a class tends to be harder than typing a story for myself because it's forced and the options are limited.

I'll do my best to not turn away from a path simply because it seems too hard or takes me out of my comfort zone. My goal of running a shelter pretty much rules out that option anyway since I'm sure that will take me far from where I'm comfortable.

Yeah, there's really no point in wasting time on a simple trick when there are so many better ones that can be taught so much easier. In the end, you can't force any animal. They have to want to do it too. I think that'll be the biggest difference between teach a cat and a dog. Either can refuse to do something, but a dog is motivated simply by the idea of pleasing you and getting attention, and, of course, a treat helps too. A cat, however, has to choose if the treat is worth the effort. So if the treat isn't tempting enough then they're not going to do the trick just for the sake of making you happy. Well, I guess there could be a cat out there that would do it, but I have yet to meet one.

Happy to help! I think working with one animal at a time is a bit easier too. That way you get an idea of what works and what doesn't and there isn't the stress of them not wanting to do it. You're bound to get a cat that does something! Even if Ash doesn't want to give high five, I know he'll do sit or lay down and Frost will do so too. And Ember will sit pretty.

So recently I've noticed that Ember is very vocal when I'm home during the day. It's not really a concern or anything, but I do wonder if she does that when I'm gone too or if it's just when I'm home. She goes around the house meowing like Ash does, but she'll do it moments after getting attention. And she doesn't want to come to me. I have to get up though sometimes she'll then run over to me. Even then, she still expects me to get up to pet her when she decides to lay in the middle of the floor. So I'll pet her a little and go sit back down, and within minutes she'll be meowing again. And she doesn't do it in the evenings when I'm usually home anyway. Well, not as much at least.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is cute. I think it may be easier for some people (and cats) then others. You are right, cats will choose more because they don't exist to please humans like dogs tend to.

Yes, agreed.

I think if you put your mind to something you will do your best and achieve a lot. I have no doubt about that. I am glad you will follow a path that you want to and not shy away from something you want.

Exactly!! IT is funny, I usually read a paragraph then type a response. I got to this and you said the same thing I did about dogs wanting to please and cats not. We are on the same page.

Yes, I agree. I hope one of my cats will want to!!! I'll keep trying.

Some cats will get more vocal. I have a couple that are. It depends. I have one that tells me to give more attention/love. Another just wants to communicate more (and get attention and love too). Sometimes it will seem like she is trying to tell me something like "you wouldn't believe what I saw" etc. It could be built up energy, or just missing you. It just depends. I am guessing she just wants you and a lot of love. That is pretty good. I am guessing when you are gone she isn't doing it. It is more to get you to interact with her I suspect.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it can definitely vary on the individual. I don't think Ember is ever going to do anything other than sit pretty. She's just not interested enough to follow the treat. She's too smart for that.

Well, running a shelter is one thing I refuse to back down from. I'm more than willing to dedicate my life to helping animals and I think if I'm willing to do it, then I need to. Animals can use all the help they can get.

Lol. That's how I usually do it too. Good that we're on the same page. Dogs are definitely more willing to do tricks. I'm finding my cats' limits and they don't go very far! I got Frost to spin a couple of times, but that's it. Ember won't budge.

I tried ignoring her today. It didn't work. I don't really mind being somewhat vocal, but I am sensitive to noises. I find them very distracting and they can keep me from focusing on anything else. And it's just been constant. Well, she finally stopped around two-ish. But she sounds absolutely heartbroken. Like she's lost and can't find her way back. Or the world has turned away from her and she has nowhere to go and no one to lean on. I don't think she's trying to sound like that though. It's just her meow. But it makes me feel bad for her so she usually gets what she wants. I wouldn't mind if it was something that happened a few times a day, but it's like I get up and pet her, sit back down, and within ten minutes (oftentimes less) she's back to meowing. And I feel bad when I ignore her.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Makes sense. I have a couple that are like Ember.

Good for you!! You are right, animals need all the help they can get. It is very special to do something for the sole intent to better another life without worrying about the benefits we could get. Wonderful!!

Hahaha, great minds!!! I would forget everything if I just read it so I would have to read paragraph by paragraph anyway. I hear you. I am impressed Frost spun. IMPRESSIVE!!! Good job!

:( I know. I have one like that. She gives me a little more quiet time but when she is in that mode it is focused attention on her. They can sound so "needy" but I agree, I think that is just how it comes out. I think it comes from boredom, insecurity at times. I have one that gets real pesty (but not noisy) so I feed her then she goes to sleep. I know it is bad but I have to sometimes. :( I feel bad ignoring them as well (or doing what I need to do) but they do understand I think. Try having cat trees so they can look out or places to run around and up and down so she can amuse herself also.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I already know I'm not going to benefit financially. Every dollar made will probably go right back into the shelter. It's going to be stressful and time consuming, and sometimes I wonder if I should really go through with it because I know I stress easily, but I want to do it. So I say I'm going to get over my anxiety and I don't really think about how hard it'll be.

Yep, same here. Sometimes I do read the whole post, but I never remember all of it.

Yeah, but he won't do it again. I tried. He won't budge. I got him to sit pretty once. Ash refuses to have any less than three paws on the ground and his butt stays on it too.

She's just so sad sounding that I want to help her, but I don't want to get up every five minutes. There's three cat trees, all of them in front of windows. They have toys all over the place, but most get lost. I don't know how since I rarely see the cats play with them. There's also a large cardboard box out for them though they all lost interest in it after my mom cut a hole out of it and turned it upside down.

She was a bit clingy today (but not excessively vocal), but I think that was because of my sudden disappearance. I was on break for a week, so I was home all day. Then I went to my dad's for a couple of days and today I had to go back. So she was a bit underfoot and wanting attention. She played with me. It was the first time she played with my hand without a blanket between us. She was careful with her claws and teeth. It was pretty cute watching her. She took off after she bit me (gently) a couple of times and I made the mistake of squatting down to let her know it was okay. She ran underneath me and laid down.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True wealth is not about money but about happiness and fulfillment in my opinion. I have met people with a lot of money that were very unhappy and I have met very poor people that were very content and happy. I think your intention for why you are considering going into it will lead you to wonderful wealth (the most important kind). You are so right, it will be stressful and hardwork and time consuming. There will be times of emotional ups and downs. But are considering it with your eyes open, knowing the challenges which is great. I know you will make the best and right choice whichever path you take.

Hahahaha, we are very similar in many ways.

:( Isn't that the way it is??? Cats. It is hard for them to do that, I can't get mine to do that either so far.

I know, they can sound so pitiful. But I think that is not the intent. I know, I think the love is something that just can't be replaced with toys etc. I have one that is more like that then the others. I know what you are thinking. :/ She'll get over it in time I think. Mine ebbs and flows a bit.

Totally. You and Ember have a really strong bond. It is really special so I think that is where a lot of it comes from. It is that love, that bond. If that makes sense. That is cute. Just be careful that you don't associate hands with play. Not so much for you but for others. I have a feral that LOVES to go underneath me when I squat down. They love that feeling of security. I have a bond with one of the cats like you and Ember do. I think I know exactly what your relationship is with her. It is really a love. Like a mom/kitten relationship. It is really interesting.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree completely, but, unfortunately, there's rather little that can be done without money. I want to help animals, but it'll cost. I'll definitely need another source of income. I'd love to have the money to give my own animals everything they could possibly want as well as allow the animals at the shelter live comfortably, but I guess we'll see how that goes. No matter how many doubts I have, I want to do what I can.

Lol. It probably would have been easier to train them if they were young and willing to move more. I thought about using those 100% salmon treats, but you don't get much in a bag and I like to use those for stressful situations like nail clippings.

She's really a sweet cat. I've never had a cat that was attached to me and me alone. They were all either a little bit distant or friendly to everyone. And I love that she talks to me. We can actually have conversations because she'll meow back when I talk to her. But meowing throughout the day is a bit much. I guess I wouldn't be compatible with a Siamese.

Yeah, she's a special little cat. Like I said, I've never had that kind of relationship. Well, I have it with Stella, but she loves everyone else so much sometimes it's hard to tell. And I think it's a little more expected with dogs. You never really know with cats. I know, most people don't advise playing with your hands, but it's not really a concern for me. It probably should be. All my animals are very careful though and they've never really given a reason to be concerned. I don't think I have to worry about her though. The only time she usually plays with hands is if you're under a blanket. I don't think it's something that'll be happening often anyway. If someone is going to do some damage, it'll probably be Ash and I do warn people that he can be a bit nippy.

I have mixed feelings about her laying under me because I think it's really cute, but then I don't want to move. I think I did sort of become like a second mom to her. She was born with us, so I've always been there. I remember every time I walked into the room, her mom would leave the kennel they were in to go do her own thing and leave me watching the kittens. I always worried she wasn't spending enough time taking care of them, but I think it was just when I was in the room that she spent so much time away. I spent a lot of time with them though and Ember has never lived with anyone other than us. I think that helped form our bond, especially after her brother went to a new home.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes. Fundraising will be incredibly important. And when people see your passion I think they will support you. As you point out, as long as we do what we can do then it is great. Even if we help one animal in our lives it is better than none. I know you will figure it out. Love and good food and a safe place is really what an animal (and a human really) needs. You are already doing great things for animals.

Yes, it is always good to keep a special food in reserve for those special moments.

Ember sounds incredible. It is really special, your bond. I know what you mean, it is like they want to talk to you and it is almost like they understand. It is very cool. Hahahaha, I had a siamese once. She was a talker, VERY vocal.

I agree it is more common with dogs. I too trust my cats totally. I know mine would never try to hurt me. But with others I don't know. :/

I think that is part of it. But I also think some cats just bond, can feel the feelings of the human. It is really hard to explain. It is just that special bond, that special love.

It is funny, a feral cat had her kittens here. She was real protective but then the mom let me get close. She too would leave to let me take care of the kittens. Hahahaha, the babysitter. But she didn't pay me!! Hahahaha. It is amazing to have a cat trust you with their kittens. That is a bond. I htink the human has a lot to do with a cat trusting them to such a degree. I can tell you are a great person by how Ember loves you. That is really cool and special.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That and I intend on being an author and/or photographer for my own money. It won't be easy, but it'll be worth it. I'd like to be able to make a place where animals are not just living, but thriving. A place that, if need be, they can live out the rest of their lives and you don't have to pity them because they have everything they need and want. I'm not sure if that'll be possible, but I want to try.

She really is. And she does communicate. I can't say I've ever really had that in a cat either. All of them will meow when they want something or think they're getting something, but Ember seems to just... want to talk. It's not always trying to get attention, but sometimes she'll talk to me without trying to get anything. I've never had a cat as vocal as a Siamese though. I'd like to be able to say I could handle it, but I'm honestly not sure I could. Maybe I'll get used to it with time.

Well, I know their temperaments around other people pretty well. When my sister was younger, she'd follow them (especially Ember) around the house trying to pet them. My room has always been off limits though. But knowing Ember's shyness, I know she'll run before she fights. She's never shown aggression towards a human, even my sister. Frost will let you do just about anything to him without ever laying a claw on you. Ash is the only concern and I just have to make sure to warn people about the base of his tail and his stomach. Even then, he doesn't usually hurt.

It is definitely special. Whatever the reason, I'm glad I have it.

Lol. Being able to watch such adorable little bundles of fur is payment enough. Ember's mother was very people friendly, so it wasn't hard getting her trust. I'm not sure if she knew what it was to not trust a human. It's funny though because, for as strong of a bond that we have now, my memories of Ember has a kitten are rather faint. It's depressing, but true. I don't remember Coal as well as I'd like either, but much better than Ember. He took after his mother. He loved people and just wanted to lay on your lap. Of course, I mostly remember when he got really ill. That had been terrifying.

By the way, I'm going to get the cats on a better wet cat food! It's hard because they get expensive, but I want to get them on something healthier. I'm not exactly sure what yet, but I have a couple of ideas. Maybe eventually I can change their dry food, but we can't afford all that right now and I think changing both at one time would be a bit much anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. And that will give you flexibility. I think it is wonderful. I think your idea/goal (dream) is exactly the right idea. If you achieve a tenth of your goal you will succeed and make the world a better place. Terrific!!

Yes. I imagine she IS trying to communicate with you. I know the feeling. Seeing them want to tell you something. It is that bond. Very special. Hahahaha, I think you could adjust to a siamese.

That is good. Most cats don't want to hurt it is just their way of protecting themselves. Actually, I have found that it is most likely the human that caused the problem. I have rarely seen a cat do something bad that wasn't provoked in some way.

YES!!!

But the mother instinct is their. If she didn't trust she wouldn't let someone get so close. I think there are different levels of trust and a cat and her kittens does have a different level. It is hard to explain but if you look for it you can see it. Oh I know, time flies and it is hard to remember those moments.

That is good. Food is so hard to choose. I am not an expert but there are on this site. You should post and ask about affordable healthy options in the section on the site. Some of the foods are more expensive but since they are more protein etc they tend to be able to eat less of it. So a cup of one food is not exactly the same as a cup of another so a more expensive food may last more meals reducing the initial cost.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I hope I manage it. I know I'll try. I know shelters go through so much, but I think a lot more could be done. I really think shelters should be able to help each other out too and work on making the animals that go to them as comfortable as possible.

She's a special cat. I like that she communicates with me. I like hearing all her different meows and being able to say I know what she's saying. Well, at least close to it. I would like to say I'd be able to adjust to a Siamese, but noises... I don't know why they bother me, but they do. But then again, Ash's meowing doesn't bother me as much and he's much louder than Ember. His meow is just different. He sounds sort of lost, but not quite as heartbroken. And when you think of him being lost when he's in the next room over, it's a bit ridiculous.

I have never believed an animal would attack without reason. Even if it's not obvious or not a reason that would seem acceptable to a human, there is always a reason. Of course, I'm still at a loss as to why Ash suddenly sank his claws and teeth into my dad's leg once... The only difference was that my dad wore different shoes. But I still believe there was a reason for it.

True. I'm still not sure it was something that was so special to her, but it was special even if she didn't realize it. She was a very loving cat. It was too bad she was so cat aggressive, but I don't think I could change it if I knew then what I know now. I'm very happy to have the privilege of taking care of her daughter. I think things turned out how they were meant to be because, honestly, I'm not sure if anyone else would have had the patience to deal with Ember. At least not anyone who would have ended up getting her.

It is hard! And the more I research, the more confused I get! I did post though and I've gotten a lot of advice so far. Of course, some of it makes my decision even harder. I was initially just going to change their wet food, but now I think I'm going to change both. I don't know what try I'm going to use for dry, but I think I've got the wet down the Weruva and/or Tiki Cat After Dark and rotate it with Friskies. Maybe get some toppers to use when they're getting Friskies.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you try and do your best that is all that matters.

She is and yes I know what you mean it is wonderful. A person can really get to tell what they are trying to say. It is very cool. I think it is the pitch at times. Hahahaha, Ash.

I am with you on that. It might be a silly reason but there is usually a reason.

I think she knew. Cats know more than you think. Hard to explain. I think it is a great thing to take care of her daughter, I am sure she appreciates that. Ember was for you I think, there was a reason. I think it is terrific.

It really is. So hard. Oftentimes, the more we know the more "grey area" there is in all things in life. That is great that you are narrowing things down. Just keep thinking and asking and doing your research. You'll make the best decisions.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah. She has a pretty wide range of noises too. Most of them aren't even really meows, but rather chirrups and trills. She makes a lot of these kind of humming noises. It's really quite amazing how many sounds she can make that all sound the similar and yet distinctly different.

And a silly reason to us isn't necessarily silly to them. Like when Ash gets a bath. It seems ridiculous to us to attack someone because that got cleaned, but she relies on that smell and it scares her. It is a little absurd that Ash can't even get a third of his body wet, but that's the way it is.

I agree. I'm not much of a believer when it comes to fate and "meant to be," but Ember was supposed to be my cat as much as I was meant to be her human. She's really taught me a lot and I'm not sure I would have learned those things without her. Maybe eventually, but not so soon. I think she was an important step for me to take the path I want to take. She's shown me that not every animal is outgoing and friendly to everyone and that some animals need a little help, but isn't too much trouble for someone still inexperienced.

I am definitely asking and doing my research. I've been using pretty much every minute I can get to look things up which probably isn't such a good thing since there are other (pretty important) things to be done. But I'm obsessed now and I'm so grateful the people on this site are patient enough to answer my questions that I probably should have answered quite some time ago. The dry food is turning out to be harder than expected though. I thought the wet would be more difficult for me to decide on, but I'm mostly decided on that. The good dry food gets so expensive though! But then I have to remember that the dry food lasts quite a while and the wet food is going to add up pretty quickly.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for the delayed response. It has been so busy with TNR etc.

Oh I know. That is what makes me think they are really communicating. In certain situations it is the same but when the situation (or desire or need) changes the sound does as well. It really is amazing.

Totally. They are scent driven. It is known and unknown. Cats will smell the mouth to identify the other cat (or person). It is amazing.

I think it was meant to be. And it really is a two way street. For most of my life I was selfish and self centered. And luckily I learned and were changed by cats to understand a bigger purpose. Sometimes there is something in life that happens for a good reason. It is pretty cool.

That is great. I know it is hard and very time consuming and it is not at all easy. There are tradeoffs and just because one person thinks something doesn't mean it is best for everyone. It is hard but I know you will make the best decisions. Dry food does get expensive fast and so does wet food. And of course there is the "waste" factor in wet vs dry. Ughhhhhh, never easy. A good dry food does last longer than a less expensive more "filler" food. So you will probably feed less dry food then you think. But it is still expensive. I know you will make the best decision.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, don't worry about it. I can only guess at how difficult TNR can be. It's been a little busy over hear too.

It really does. I love hearing all the different noises, especially hers. She doesn't meow as much (other than when I'm home all day), but all the other sounds are really interesting. There's so many different ways of communication with cats.

Ember won't even get that close to him without attacking him. :sigh: I understand her fear (to an extent at least), but it definitely doesn't make it easy. They're going to need baths soon too. Spring is here and my allergies are getting worse. They haven't been bathed in a while.

Well, I'm far from selfless, but I agree. Cats, and animals in general, have helped me realize there is so much more to this world than me, my life, and just humans. I think Ember is a big part of the reason that I've developed so much respect for animals. She requires it. Even more than many animals, she needs to be respected and understood or you risk her shutting down. To help her, I had to change myself. And I learned I respect them all.

It is very difficult. I thought I had finally decided on Weruva as our main wet food, but they almost all have fish in them and I've heard that that's not good for a cat prone to UTIs. So now I think we're going to do American Journey with the occasional Weruva (there was one or two without fish) and Tiki Cat After Dark. Dry food is between American Journey and Wellness Core. We got a bag of Wellness, but I accidentally grabbed kitten food. Not very smart on my part, but oh well. They've been eating it fine. Not thrilled, but Frost is eating better. I have realized they require rather little dry food. It's a bit shocking and I think I'm having some trouble accepting it because I am stuck thinking it'll be too expensive. We'll probably spend more on the wet though since I want to increase that.

So I'm very proud of Ember. We have a family friend who's dog had passed and he recently got another one. He's brought her over twice. The first time he didn't put her down since she's not house broken yet, but Ember stayed out. I thought she'd run and hide, but she didn't She even rubbed against his legs. The second time he did put her down and Ember still didn't hide. She did slap at the puppy a couple of times and she wasn't happy, but it was a lot better than when we brought Stella in. I am very impressed with Ember and how far she's come. It isn't great that we have a random dog coming in, but the puppy really needs the socialization and, with how well Ember did, it might be good for her too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I hope good busy.

So very true, it is amazing really.

Yeah, that is fairly common actually. More than you would think. Cats are very scent driven. That is why they rub on things etc. They like familiar. No change. Etc. Yeah, they have to get them. You'll get through it though.

That is really cool. Your love for her. Respect is really a great word for the interaction. Love has embedded in it respect. So wonderful.

That is really great that you have narrowed it down. A bag of kitten food will not hurt them. Just make sure you keep it (dry food) sealed really well so it doesn't get stale. Wet food is always very good but it can be tricky because it needs to be eaten quickly etc. I can't remember but I think when I was looking at foods that some people had issues with Wellness and UTIs. I can't remember though. I am sure it would have come up in your research if it was an issue but thought I would bring it up.

WOW!! THAT is GREAT!!! She even rubbed on her. That is terrific. You have really done a great job with her. That is fantastic!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of it good, some of it not so good. I finally got to repot some of my plants. It's either been too cold or too rainy. Or both. But, of course, then I ran out of soil.

Some more than others apparently. Probably the weirdest part of the whole thing is that Frost and Ash are totally fine with it. Neither act like they don't recognize the other and I know they don't like strange animals that much. So the contrast between them is really odd, but I guess they're just calm enough to realize that the scent is still there even if it is different, whereas Ember just goes into defense at the slightest change.

It's hard not to love her. Well, for me anyway. She might be difficult for others with less patience (and I'm not very patient) or don't want to take the time to understand her, but she really is a sweet, loving cat even if she is a bit demanding in the way she shows it. I have to be able to understand her or I wouldn't be able to live with her and, with that understanding, comes respect. She's a good cat and she deserves it.

Yeah, I'm finally getting there. This bag actually has a zipper on it! I liked that especially because the boys and Ember are on two different foods, so I couldn't just mix it in and be done with it. We have a lot of animal food in the pantry though. It's gotten a bit crowded. The one thing I don't like about wet food is that it can't sit out. It gets wasted so easily. Well, I guess that's something I'll have to keep in mind with the Wellness. I think it should be fine as long as they get enough wet food though. And as long as Ash drinks enough. I'm considering American Journey as dry too though. It's cheaper, but it doesn't seem like it sacrifices much nutrition.

It really was amazing. Shortly after the dog was put down, Ember had come over to me and rolled on her back wanting attention. It wasn't right by the dog, but it was still impressive. I'm really proud of how far she's come. Though it might help that this dog is tiny. Ember looks huge next to her!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't that the way it is??? But at least it isn't anything too bad.

Absolutely. And I think it depends on how territorial secure they are, confident, etc. Whether they were the first one in the house or the last. What happened when they were young. Things like that. It is complex.

She sounds wonderful. She actually reminds me of one of mine. It sounds like she loves you so much that she is so bonded. She is a very lucky cat to have you.

Wow, that is great to keep the freshness. I totally agree on wet food, it is more difficult/complex. Easy to get wasted, etc. I prefer wet food for the cats but it is more complex unfortunately. Good job on figuring out the food!!

Wow, rolled on her back?!?!?!? Wow, that is a sign of trust. A cat would never expose their vulnerability (their belly) unless they felt secure. That is really impressive. Just the fact the dog was around is a big deal. I can see why you are proud, you should be. Size might help a little but I think it is bigger than that. I think it is terrific!!! Good job!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Ember totally shut my laptop down in the middle of typing this. (Right around the part I was talking about how great she was)

Yeah, nothing too horrible. A bit of stress in the last few days, but that's nothing new. I just had a little extra.

It really does. I sure hope it was nothing that happened when she was young though! Well, to be honest, I think we could have socialized her better. We've never been very social people, so we don't have people over often, and definitely not dogs. But I don't think that would have changed much even if we did. Maybe a little. I wish I could get her even more secure than she is, but I know I have to be happy with the progress she's made. I hadn't expected her to come so far to be able to handle a strange dog in the house.

She really is. Skittish and fearful, but she was a wonderful personality as long as you have a little patience. She shoved my arm from the keyboard as I was typing that. Apparently she knows when I'm talking about her. I think I'm lucky to have her even if she does make life difficult sometimes.

I like the zipper though I don't know why. It's definitely convenient now, but we have containers we keep the food in. The wet food is definitely a pain, especially with Frost not eating well. Though, of course, someone always cleans his bowl out when I'm not looking so not much actually ends up wasted. We might go to even better food later when we know we can afford it. We should be getting more money soon which is why I wanted to switch, but I'm not sure just how much yet and I don't want to spend it all on animal food.

I am very proud of her. Actually a little teary as I was reading your post and thinking about it. Lol. I'm more emotional than I like to admit. I can't even express how happy I am to know she's come so far. I would never have expected any of them to be comfortable enough for that, let alone her. Both of the boys were mostly indifferent which wasn't so surprising, but Ember did much better than expecting. The puppy is coming back today. If Ember had been frightened I wouldn't be so happy having the dog around so much, but I think it'll be pretty easy for her to get used to the puppy.= with how she did.