Struggling With Play Time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get to be early again too. I'll have more free time for the next few weeks. It'll be a bit calmer too. I get to spend more time with the animals--who do absolutely nothing but sleep all day.

Thanks! I'll be looking into ways to sell eventually. Right now I'm getting used to the editing software and I need practice with lighting as well as using backdrops.

Well, I guess I'll hope it's just that Stella is getting a bit older. She's not an old dog by any means, but not exactly a puppy either. She seems fine otherwise. We got her some socks because I worry about her being out in the cold and playing in the snow which she loves to do. She has such short fur. Surprisingly, she actually keeps the socks on. They fall off on their own though.

That's what I'm hoping for. I want to figure out his schedule so I can work with it. This weekend hopefully I won't freeze outside. I want to be able to see if he comes around.

I hate getting my picture taken. I don't do fake smiles very well. Taking pictures, once you know what you're doing, isn't all that hard. The camera (if you have a good one) does most of the work. A lot of it is actually in the editing though. The only picture you can't make look at least somewhat good is a blurry one. Pretty much everything else can be fixed.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is cool. I know, they love to sleep during the day. A cat's life. Sleep, wake up, play, eat, groom sleep, repeat. Hahahahaha

Very exciting. Many people want pictures for advertisements, etc. I hope yours get in some.

That is good that she seems fine. Yeah, even when they are still young in actual years they don't need to eat as much. It depends. I am impressed she doesn't pull her socks off, she is smart and well behaved.

Yes. His schedule isn't perfect (I had one of my guys come just now, he usually comes 6 hours earlier) but they typically tend to be on a schedule. But it isn't perfect like a job. Stay warm!! You'll see him soon.

Me too. I don't have a good smile let along a good fake smile so............ I usually hide from the camera.

Hmmmm, I think a person has to have good sense of picture taking. The artistic sense. I think you are modest, I think it takes more than just a good camera, I think it takes a good eye to see the picture. If that makes sense. I just don't have the sense of the whole picture and the backdrop and the framing and the lighting. Sometimes I think I took a really good picture and something doesn't seem as special as I thought. That is interesting about the editing software. I am not very technically inclined though sadly.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, not much playing though. Frost chases the toy once or twice, but otherwise he just sits there and stares at it like he's going to chase it. Ash shows interest in both the wand toy and the laser light on occasion, but doesn't play much. Ember seems like she's losing a little interest in the laser light too. At least it's hard to keep her attention, but she is still playing. Just not usually for more than five minutes or so at a time.

I'm kind of surprised she's showing signs of her age though. She's not old, but she often acts in a way that makes her seem very young. Sometimes I forget that's she's not just a year or two old. She is a very smart dog and very well-behaved when she's calm. I worried more because she's a bit of a coward. Stella is afraid of her own food bowl and doesn't even like her harness. I didn't think she'd take well to having something on her feet. I started off with one sock on and I didn't expect her to even so much as put her foot down. It's only been a few days and she walks around with all four on. They're just too big.

Well, I'll keep trying to figure it out. I'll do my best to stay warm though we keep the house a bit cold anyway. I hate thinking about Jax out in the cold though. I wish I knew where he went and if he has a good place to sleep.

I wish I could hide! But my dad got into photography around the same time and I did and my stepmom is obsessed with having her and family pictures taken so I get stuck in them more often than I'd like.

That's true. I do think you can learn to have an eye for it though. I'm more into animal and nature photography, but I've tried architectural too and am willing to try others though I don't have the eye for them. Before I got my camera, I started seeing pictures everywhere. Really simply things like shapes in the trees or the silhouettes of them against the sky at dusk. I don't know why or how it happened, but my mind became obsessed with finding all of these pictures and it drove me absolutely crazy to not be able to capture them. And so I spent $700 on a camera and two lenses. However, editing software does wonders. It's not very complicated either. The hardest part is figuring out what all the filters do because there's so many. The computer does come with basic editing, but nothing like the software you have to pay for.

I forgot to mention something that happened last night. It wasn't anything major, but it was surprising. I was sitting on the floor petting Frost and Ash was sitting pretty much right behind him. I don't really know what happened, but Frost moved away from me and towards Ash, and Ash hissed at him. My mom pointed out that Frost could have shocked him which is likely since we have so much static right now though you can usually hear it. It was just very surprising since I've only seen Ash hiss at Frost once, maybe twice. Frost seemed a bit confused and tried to sniff him, but Ash flinched away and huddled up in his frightened/defensive position. Of course, Ember was agitated and came up to sniff him, but he leaned away from her and they had a bit of a stare down. I think she went to slap him, but I moved at the same time to break up the staring contest since that normally makes her more tense.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any play is good play. It does happen they do go through ups and downs. There are many days I don't feel like playing either. :/

Some dogs do. They mature or get a little lazier. It depends. I had one dog that acted like a puppy all her 15 years of life!! Others mellowed at young ages. It depends. Small dogs can be a bit more skittish (I have had a few) and some can be really big shots. It is awesome she wears the socks. Most of mine never would.

Yes, please stay warm. We don't need you to get sick. Jax I am sure is resourceful and will be fine. Cats are really really smart and resourceful. Ferals are unbelievable. I have housing for mine and they don't always spend all their time here. There have homes in a lot of places (under decks, window wells, etc). They even go in sewers. Ughhhh :(

Me too. I will say that you will appreciate the pictures as you get older. I guess I wish I took and wasn't so afraid of pictures in the past. I think you will in the future enjoy looking at the pictures.

It sounds like you have the talent, the eye. That is cool. I know people will say to me "that would make a great picture" and often I don't see it. You have that talent. That is great. You must really be artistic. Or you are discovering it in you. That is cool!! Some day when you are rich and famous I will be able to say I knew when she started!!

That very well could be. There is a lot of static right now since it is so dry. I gave my kitty a static and she was like "what was that". Cats do have reactions but if that is all it was then they communicated and settled it. And you being there and moving helped avoid it getting to be anything. So this morning I had my oldest girl on my lap and my youngest wanted to come over and my youngest went to swat the oldest and the oldest hissed. I was like "come on, its ok" and it passed and all is well,. It just happens sometimes but as long as it ends there then it shouldn't be an issue. It is like if we get sassy to a loved one because we are having a bad day or something. There is still the underlying love that overtakes any short term anger.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can get a little frustrating though. I'm trying. I know they need it and I try every day to get them to play, but I fail more often than not. It doesn't seem as though Ember has lost much, if any, weight.

Stella definitely hasn't gotten lazier! I don't have much hope of that ever happening. We thought getting her spayed would helped. It didn't. Then we thought maybe it would just take getting a little older. Hasn't happened yet. We had a malamute mix (he was actually my brother's, but my mom took care of him and, when I was old enough, I exercised him) and he was actually older than me. I grew up with him. He was with us for around fifteen years before he ended up with heart failure and had to be put down. But he died a puppy at heart. I felt absolutely terrible because every time I got my bike out, he flip out and get so excited. He loved going for runs. But I couldn't take him because of the heart failure. I think that's going to be Stella too. She'll always be a puppy at heart.

I'm sure he and all the other ferals are, but I'm a natural worrier. I know he's there so I worry about him. It's a nice day today so I think I'm going to go sit out on the porch for a while with some food out. Maybe he'll come around.

Yes, I agree. Getting into photography has made me regret not taking more pictures in the past. I don't have any good pictures of my rats or Bullet (the malamute I mentioned) or any of my other past animals. My memory isn't the best, so I really wish I had more pictures of them.

It's one of the few talents I have. I am into the arts though. I read, write, draw (though I'm not very good), and do photography. And the only one of those hobbies that is at all cheap is writing because I only need a laptop(which isn't really cheap, but you only have to pay for one). Lol. Yeah, you will be able to say that. You can say that you helped me with my crazy cats before anyone ever even noticed me.

I wasn't really worried about the interaction. I can't imagine the boys getting into a fight. They're both too laid back and lazy. It was just surprising to see it. It's not something that happens often between them. They did get over it. I think Ember took it worse than Frost did. There is a lot of static though. It's terrible really. We have a humidifier running constantly, but it doesn't seem to help much.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, it is frustrating. But we have to try to accept and try again. If we get frustrated the cats can pick up on that are feel more on edge. So we have to just do our best, accept the result and try again. It isn't your fault, sometimes cats just don't want to play.

That is good that she is a puppy at heart. I am sorry about your Malamute but for a big dog 15 is really good. I am sure you gave him a great life, it sure sounds like it!! It is probably metabolism with Stella but just keep watching that she acts normal and doesn't lose weight.

I know the worry, I worry all the time as well. I keep reminding myself that worrying doesn't help, we have to just figure out a way going forward and do our best to make sure we do everything possible to help. But we can't do everything and protect them always sadly. :( I hope you get to see him today. My one non-regular feral came around this morning (he never comes so early) so you never know when they might come.

I am the same. But I think we still have the feelings in our hearts though we may not have a great picture in our minds or hands. At least now going forward you can correct that with Stella, Ember, Frost and Ash.

You have expensive talents!! That is great to have artistic talents. I bet you draw better than you think, I just have a sense. You can be a tough critic on yourself. With talents like that you could do so much. Have a blog with stories, pictures, drawings, maybe a book some day. Use your creativity, I know it is there, I can sense it. I still say you did more with the cats than I did. ;)

Ember is kind of the enforcer mom cat in a way. She wants harmony. Yeah, it happens. Today my 2 boys in my colony got into a fight as I fed my non-regular feral. The one decided to bite the other one. Talk about redirected aggression. And they LOVE each other. Sleep together, rub on each other constantly, eat together. It happens sometimes (thankfully Ash and Frost didn't get into it as bad as mine). But mine did not draw blood or have fur missing so it looked worse than it was. But yikes.

Yes, me too. It is very dry and the cats are getting shocked constantly. :( I have to be so careful not to start a negative association.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I have to remind myself to walk away when I get frustrated. So, admittedly, I haven't been trying too hard to get them to play. I do try, but I quit the second it seems like they aren't going to play. Otherwise it just gets to the point that I'm wasting my time waving a toy around when I have other things to do. Today I struggled maintaining Ember's attention. She kept stopping to groom her paw.

It is a good thing, though it can also be a bad one. She'll probably always be energetic and reactive which is not the type of dog I would have picked out for myself. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but I had the chance to bond with her so it just sort of ended up that way. If I didn't think I could give her a good home or wouldn't put the effort in, she wouldn't be here. She'd be with someone that would. But I wouldn't go into a shelter and take the most excitable dog there is because the personality simple doesn't quite mesh with mine.

Bullet was a good dog. He's the main reason both my mom and I want a big dog again. If we could have another malamute mix that would fantastic. He was brilliant and friendly, but protective too. He could have had a better life. There were a lot of things then that I wouldn't accept now, but I grew up with them and didn't realize that they were wrong. I did what I could to give him a good life though and we did love him.

You're right, but it still feels wrong for some of those memories to fade. Especially with how quickly they fade for me. It's only been a few years and yet I feel like I'm losing my memories of my rats. I do intend to change that with the ones I have now. I think I already have considering I have tons of pictures of them. More than I need, really.

That I do. It makes it hard to keep up with them which, in turn, slows my progress. But I manage. And I'm sure I do draw better than I think. We are our own worse critics. It's nice to go back and look at old art. Makes me feel better about where I am. I think the problem with drawing is that making progress is kind of like growing. It happens so slowly you don't notice it until you look back on where you used to be. I do intend on being an author though and would like to sell photography. I'm not really sure if I'm going to rely on drawing as a source of income though. I think I have enough I want to do though it'll be a nice way of bringing in a little extra money.

I wish Ember would calm down a little though. I hate seeing her agitated and she's very strict on the boys. It's kind of weird thinking about her as the strict, disciplinary mom-cat considering she's half their age. Though that also makes it a bit sad too because I don't want her to waste her life worrying about everything like I do. The other two can barely play together without her getting all antsy and that's not fair for any of them. I know it's nothing serious. All the incidents are minor and I couldn't imagine what it's like to see cats get into a real fight whether blood is shed or not. I'm sure that's stressful. But I don't like seeing them scared or upset for anything period of time.

However, I've been giving Ember and Frost some Rescue Remedy in their food and it might be helping. I've only heard Frost hiss twice lately. Once was in the morning this weekend so they were fed late. It gets worse when they aren't fed on time. The second time was probably the worst I've seen yet, but still nothing serious. Ember walked past Frost down the hall and he ran up behind her making an odd sound. He sort of leapt on her with one leg around her and actually managed to run with her like that briefly. I thought it was play at first, but when he finally let her go he hissed. Otherwise I haven't seen any issues between the two of them.

Today Ember and Stella were rather clingy. I don't really think this is of any importance, but it made me think of those stories about the animal sensing something was wrong with the person. Stella was following me from room to room which she doesn't do anymore unless we're in a different place. She was also laying on my lap while I was trying to wrap presents which is a little odd for her. She prefers laying next to me rather than on me. And Ember was on my lap basically every 10-15 minutes it seemed like which is a bit much even for her. Of course, I'm typing this and Ember is nowhere in sight. She seemed obsessed with laying on me up until it was time to play.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, just accept that at that moment they don't want to play. Play is great and important but not totally necessary given where your cats are now. We want to keep trying but it isn't a big deal if they don't always play.

I know you love Stella and you are doing a great job with her. Little dogs can be more challenging because of their excitability. But it sounds like you handle it well. You stepped up to help her, I think that is very admirable.

We always learn and as long as we do learn than it is good. Everyone makes mistakes the key is to learn from them which you obviously have. Yeah, I never had a Malamute but they are good dogs. I love big dogs.

It happens. But it is not like we want to forget, it just happens. Pictures can jog our memories. I wish I had taken more in the past. You have learned, can you really have too many of your loved ones??? :)

Yes focus is important. If we spread ourselves too thin then we don't excel at one thing. It is hard to manage. You are not alone. You are exactly right, progress can come slowly over time. Experience helps. Seeing things. It is interesting. I am not very talented but I think I have seen others progress so I understand by seeing others. That is really cool you are going to be an author. You write well and you seem to think really well. I think you can paint a picture well in words. Add in photography and it could really be special. A lot of different avenues you can use those skills.

I think she will. Just keep reassuring her, build her confidence. She will accept more. She is doing what cats do. Female cats have the mom instinct in my experience, not all but many. Ember has it. I think Ember loves her life so I wouldn't worry too much about her.

My feral boys are doing that a lot lately to my girl. I wonder if it is the change of the seasons or something. My inside cats got wild too and there was a hiss. I wonder if it is something more that just the cats..........

Animals can get clingy for a lot of reasons. Wrapping presents (something different like this definitely qualifies). It could be boredom. It could be so many things. Mine go through phases like that. It is just hard to know but I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye on them. But I am guessing it was the wrapping of the presents that made them wonder about what was going on.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, they are getting new toys for Christmas. Some of the catnip mice I ordered haven't arrived yet though. I did get them a new wand toy too, but it was a cheap on. I figured it would be a good way to see if they preferred a different toy or if they just don't want to play.

I'm working on handling it better. I wouldn't ever hurt her, but I'm not exactly patient either. I've been trying to focus more and more on positive reinforcement, but it seems like while she's getting better in some places, she's getting worse in others. There's been a lot of noise outside today and I can't even open the door without her whining. But she's been slowly (very slowly) getting better about people coming in. She calms down a bit faster and starts behaving since I began using carrots as treats.

Lol. No, there's no such thing as too many pictures. Especially when Ember is a great little model and Ash doesn't care at all. Frost is the only one who gives me trouble about getting pictures which is sad because he really is a beautiful cat. Everyone falls in love with him.

I don't think it's all talent though. Of course, it gives one a bit of a head start, but skill is mostly gained by practice whether that talent is there or not. I would say I have a talent for writing and photography, but not drawing. Just and interest in it and I think my ability to see a picture in my head helps. Otherwise I started off terribly. And I'm still not great even after a few years of practicing. It is great that I have the talent in writing and photography. Those are two things that can make a lot of money and does not require me to work all day. I can still run a shelter and hopefully make enough to keep it running smoothly. And yes, there are a lot of options. Even if being an author of books doesn't work out, I could still write for magazines or something else.

I hope. I don't like seeing her tense. She seems pretty content otherwise, but I'm an animal lover, a perfectionist, and a worrier. I don't want to see them upset for even a second though I know it's impossible to avoid the occasional issue.

There was one hiss today so far, but everything seems pretty calm. Perhaps there is something in the changing of seasons. I did read that dogs could suffer depression due to the lack of daylight. It could be similar with cats.

I had all three of them in bed with me earlier. Frost laid next to me and Ember was laying on my blanket by my feet. Then Ash came up and laid next to Ember. That was nice to see since I've never actually seen him go to her other than when he decides he wants to be on the top of the cat tree and she's already there. Then he was actually grooming her which as very sweet though she didn't seem to appreciate it all that much. She would pull away from him for a moment and then try to groom herself and he'd starting licking her and she'd pull away again. And even earlier today Ash came over and snuggled. He laid partly on my lap and even put his head on my chest. I'm still not used to this new, cuddlier Ash.

I suppose so. It was sweet though also kind of irritating at times. I pretty much refuse to move when I have a cat on me other than Frost since it seems like he's on my lap at least three times a day. If I refused to move him, I wouldn't get much done. But I got a bit stiff and sore waiting for Ember to get up. She'll usually lay on my lap for a few minutes and then leave, but there were a couple of times where she stayed with me for probably at least fifteen, maybe twenty minutes.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always good to try different toys. And always make the toy act like prey (like a mouse, bird, etc).

It is hard to be patient at times. And remember, cats can pick up on that stress also. It is tricky but I know you can handle it. That is good that she is getting better. Just keep working on her.

Exactly!! Frost is a male diva!! They all sound like great cats. They are all unique but lovable just the same.

Yes, it is effort (hard work) also. I agree. Yes, those skills will only increase in demand. Telling a story is really important whether it is for a product, a service, an experience, or for entertainment. A great skill to have. Combine that with the skill to show it in pictures and that is valuable.

I know what you mean. We want them to be as happy as possible. We just have to do our best and not be too hard on ourselves or others. It is really more art than science to know when to push a little and when to back off. It takes experience and you are well on your way to getting there.

It could be, I don't know. I think the colder weather can cause worries about their safety and food source. I think that is going on with my ferals as they seem more territorial. But it could be the daylight, I never thought about that. I was thinking maybe the moon. Interesting.

WOW!!! COOL!!!! What a moment!! I love to hear that!!! :)

I know the feeling. Body parts start to fall asleep, stiffness sets in. Hahahahaha, I love that they love to be with me but I know what you mean. I'll try to be typing her and they are in the way rubbing, etc. Doesn't help the productivity but it is sweet they feel that bond!!! Pretty cool.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That it is. I think I'm getting there though. I stay calm until Stella just won't stop. She gets a few chances before it starts grating on my nerves. Training is hard though because I don't always have the time to wait until she's quiet, so not using some negative reinforcement it pretty much impossible. She'd probably whine for half an hour if you let her get away with it. I don't always know what I'm supposed to do and I never could find a dog forum that I really like.

He most definitely is. And they all are. I wouldn't trade them for the world. They might be rude and pushy and very demanding, but they're also sweet and affectionate in their own, unique ways. They're good for taking pictures of too.

Yeah, I think being an author is a fairly risky job since your income is based on the books you sell, but getting into writing in general should be pretty safe since there's so many different things you can do. Photography is the same with that risk of not selling, but there are so many different kinds of people that it shouldn't be hard to sell something.

It's a struggle trying keep them all happy all the time. Of course, it's impossible to do, but I'll continue to try to. Maybe it won't happen, but that doesn't mean I should give up. I think if I let myself stop trying, I'd slack off too much. I do try to let them sort things out on their own unless it looks like it could end in a fight. I don't want them to be completely dependent on me or leave things unresolved.

It could be a combination of things. I know what I read on dogs said that they get more lethargic and less active. I'm not sure if that applies to cats, but if it does then that could mean there's excess energy. I think how much my cats play affects how they get along when I'm making their food. And of course a fear of not having food could play a part. Really, food in general seems to add a bit of tension among my group. Ferals, I would imagine, are more instinctual since they have to rely on those instincts to survive, so I could imagine it being worse among them.

It was really nice. I always love having those moments. It's sad that they have to end.

Oh, yes. Ember is always rubbing her head against my hands when I'm trying to type. And it's not just a little nudge either! She uses pretty much all of her strength. They really don't help with productivity at all. I always say Ember "helps" me, but that really just means she's getting in the middle of whatever I'm doing. In that manner, she's a very "helpful" cat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just trust your instinct. And try different things. Some dogs respond better to certain things. It really is more art than science. My sister's little dogs are more unsettled so I know what you mean. I have only had big dogs so I never really dealt with that little dog way sadly.

Hahaha, yes. I know exactly what you mean.

Yes, it is more variable but there are positives as well. And there are always weddings, anniversaries, graduations, loved ones, etc for photography. Maybe not exactly what a photographer wants to do but a good source of income. And for writing there are blogs now, and books, and commercial opportunities, etc. A lot of good avenues. Hard work usually pays off.

I think that is a good way to look at it. There is no question in my mind that you have the knowledge and the desire to make their lives be as good as possible. I think that is the key and you will succeed. It can never be prefect but I am sure you will help their lives be great.

I think that is right. I also have an intact male that I am trying to trap that is coming around. It can be so many things, it is hard to know. I do know I don't like how they are acting. But the get over it quickly and eat together and sleep together. My one cat is eating more so it could be fear of food. Ughhhhhh, it is always something. :/

It is really special moments like that. The good news is, they will continue happening.

Hahahaha, yep. I know exactly how that is. They need that affection especially when you try to get something done.......... But it is wonderful!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'll keep trying. I might be trying for as long as she lives. One difficult part about it is deciding when you've tried one thing long enough and it's time to move on to the next. Dogs, just like cats, are all different and take different amounts of time to figure something out. One dog might get the hang of it in a week, one might take a month. It's especially tricky because this isn't just normal training. In basic training, Stella is brilliant. She gets frustrated about as easily as I do, but she's eager and quick to learn. She learned all the simple tricks in a day or so and just took another couple of days to completely memorize them. Now I'm trying to train her out of a certain mindset, if that makes any sense. She's brilliant, but she's completely overruled by her emotions.

Yes, that's why I feel somewhat safe with my chosen career(s). Even if it doesn't work out well right away, I can always do something else. The English skills are always appreciated in any job anyway, so I don't think I can really go wrong focusing on that.

And that is all I want to do. I'm honestly obsessed with making sure they have everything they could possibly want. If I only I had the money to do so! Though, in all reality, I'm not sure why we spend so much money on them. You can buy a $500 cat tree and they'll prefer the box it came in.

It is always something. I can only imagine with the number of cats you take care of and their history. It's in times like those that it would be nice if they could tell us exactly what the problem is and that we could reassure them.

Yep. They want to be in the middle of everything. I made my bed and Ember and Ash both ended up between the sheets. So of course I couldn't finish making my bed until they moved. And Ember was on my lap when I needed to get up. Eventually I did have to move her because there was something I needed to do. However, I almost couldn't walk because my legs ended up so stiff.

Ash was in an odd mood today. He was rubbing on me and pressing all of his weight against me until I petted him. Then he grabbed my arm and bit me. Not hard, of course, but his teeth are sharp. It wasn't quite as soft as a love bite. He let go after a few seconds and I went back to petting him since I wasn't sure that it wasn't a love bite. Then he bit me again. By then I knew it was more of a playful thing. It's not something that happens too frequently. I know people say you shouldn't encourage a cat to play with hands, but I believe it depends on the person and the cat. Ash has a really good sense of when not to do it and how far to push it. He's rather gentle though he does leave a few marks. But I did play with him for a few minutes.

Frost, however, has discovered the Christmas presents. We have no tree because of them and I'm actually a bit surprised it took this long for one of them to start messing with the presents. But Frost found the ribbon on a couple of them. He wanted to eat it. It was rather entertaining to watch him and I did keep an eye on him. He knocked a couple down. Fortunately nothing fragile. But when we were going to bed he managed to knock a bag over and a heater so they were all moved in my mom's room.

Overall, it was a good day for playing though. The boys both played a little. Not much, but more than they have been.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know but you have a great handle on it. I think you will achieve what you want with her or at the very least improve things.

I think you are right. And computers and robots can't really get that emotional aspect of what you are looking to do. Every career has challenges and risks. The key is to keep doing your best and working hard. Never give up and keep moving forward. Listen to your customers (whether it is co-workers or end customers) and work hard to do what is best. Always try to save so you have a cushion if things take a turn. I am not worried about your future, you are intelligent and hard working and diligent. Those are skills that will always be in demand. Just always believe in yourself.

The biggest thing you can give is love and respect and kindness. It applies to animals and people. The greatest gift is yourself and your love to them. I know exactly what you mean, they do tend to like the box. Hahahaha, so true.

Yes, I wish. But we have to read their body language and communicate in non-verbal ways. But the good news is it is possible and we do tend to make their lives better in the longer run if we try.

Hahahaha, yep. Always there it seems. My arm fell asleep last night as mine like to lay on it. Oh what I would do for a solid night sleep. My one girl has been here with me all morning, stepping on the keyboard, etc. Too funny.

Yeah, cats will do that. If a cat really bit then there would be blood etc. So I am guessing it was either a love bite or he was saying "not there" or something if he was sensitive where you were petting him. Or he was just amped up a little and a little too excited. I had a siamese that did that, she wouldn't want to hurt me but she would let me know that she didn't like me dealing with her hair (it would knot sometimes). Just be careful as you don't want him to do that to someone else in the house as they may react differently than you do since they aren't comfortable with him.

Oh yes, they LOVE ribbons and strings. And sometimes the shine from the wrapping. And ornaments that dangle from the tree. We also don't have a tree because of the cats. Too dangerous for them.

GREAT!!! I love to hear that the boys played. It really depends on their mood so often.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope so. She's a good dog. I feel bad that she doesn't have another dog to play with considering her high energy, but she really doesn't even like them all that much. Small dogs, sure, but even then she's a bit wary. For all her energy, she gets overwhelmed rather easily. One of my neighbors has two puppies that are around her size (for now) and she seems stuck between wanting to play with them and wanting to bite them. However, she has an obsession with cats who, of course, want nothing to do with her.

Yeah. For as much of a worrier and planner as I am, I haven't really let myself think of the "what if's" too much. There's a lot of risk with everything I want to do and I don't want to overwhelm myself with worst case scenarios and end up backing out before I even try. It's probably just as dangerous to go in without a back-up plan, but I'm actually pretty good at saving money. I hate spending any of it. Not just on others, but myself too. I figure I'll end up working in a shelter eventually though. It would be nice to have the experience until I open my own.

I emphasize with you. The best and worst part about winter is that they turn into snugglers. Well, except Ash, but there's time for him yet! Last night I fell asleep with Ember in the crook of my knees and Frost by my head--not quite touching, but close enough that every time I moved I'd end up hitting him. They left me for breakfast, of course, but I ended up waking up with Frost against my back and Ember right back behind my legs. I think I'm getting used to it though. I never want to disturb them so I lay in one position until I'm uncomfortable, but I think I hold still a bit more now than I used to. I'm also not so paranoid about rolling over and squishing them.

Well, we've gone six years without incident so far. That might not be true. He did bite my dad once, but that's still a mystery as to why. It was the only time that cat has ever drawn blood. My only concern in my sister and that's just because she's so young. I don't want her to hold anything against him because she pet him in the wrong place. Of course, I think my warning her off of certain places made her a bit wary anyway. He doesn't really come out for many people though. Just my dad and my brother. I'm pretty sure this time was just playful though. He gets like that sometimes. Normally with love bites or warning nips, he doesn't grab my arm. He did that and that's usually just a playful thing.

Yeah, we long since gave up on a tree. It doesn't really matter though since it's just the two of us. It probably wasn't worth the effort anyway. The only problem is that there's nowhere to put the presents. I think Frost took an interest with the presents because my mom left the ribbon on the floor and they played with it a bit.

Ember walked away during our play session. Don't know why, but she didn't come back. Frost went after the toy a couple of times, but Ash played a bit.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you do, I trust your instincts and knowledge. That is pretty common, some dogs like others, some don't. Ember and Stella get along pretty well. Stella sounds like a very happy dog, you must be doing a lot right with her.

There is a lot of risk with everything. I guess we just have to just do our best, work hard, never give up. Worrying doesn't change anything except maybe keep us from finding solutions and places to find improvement. Planning is good, worrying not productive. Follow your heart and your dreams. Happiness is more than money or "stuff". Enjoying what you do is so important, making a difference. So fulfilling. You are very intelligent, have a great personality, have the desire to work hard. You will succeed in whatever you choose I believe. Do a great job, work hard and things tend to work out and you'll enjoy the journey.

Yep, sounds like your experience and feelings are like mine. And they can be so warm......

Yeah, cats really don't bite (serious bite) unless they feel really threatened. Usually it is a love bite or a warning. Yes, you know him and know his intent. I am not worried, you know cats and what is best.

It happens since cats love to paw things, climb things etc. And of course a ribbon or a string is like nirvana for a cat!! Hahahahaha

Ember must not have been in the mood. :( But it is fine, she will be. At least Ash did and Frost a little.

I typed all this with a cat purring in my lap and over one arm. One handed typing. .......... :)

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it has to do with how she was raised. She grew up with plenty of other small dogs, but they were all much older than her and she wasn't allowed to play with them. However, she got to play with one of the cats until my aunt found scabs on the kitten's neck. I don't really think Stella caused them, but she was rough and the cat could hardly walk through the living room without being tackled. So she grew up playing with a cat, mostly ignoring the other small dogs, and had very little interaction with big dogs. She is a happy dog by nature. It takes very little effort on my part, really. She's just a happy, loving dog who couldn't hold a grudge if her life depended on it.

That there is. I have no intentions of backing out of my plans. If nothing else, I want to have a shelter. I have to have a kennel-free shelter and I've also decided that I'd like a focus on strays and ferals. That is the one thing I want to go right. I do admit, I don't look forward to the business aspect of it. I enjoy helping taking care of animals and spending time with them, but I could really do without the rest. I am determined though.

Ironically, after talking about having cuddly cats, no one slept with me last night. Ember came and got under the blankets for a little while, but eventually left and didn't return. I actually had to go look for Frost because it's unusual for him to not be in my bed in the winter. He's normally there before Ember. I ended up finding him in the dog bed all curled up. However, someone had diarrhea today so it's possible one of them might not be feeling well. I kind of would have thought it would make Frost even more cuddly if he wasn't feeling well, but perhaps he was feeling a bit too warm to be in my bed.

I'm not worried either. They're all great cats. I'd like to say they wouldn't hurt a fly, but they eat flies and Ash did bite my dad so I can't really say that. But I still believe that no animal is aggressive for no reason. If I avoid giving them a reason, then all should be good. I hope.

Yes, it was really funny watching him try to get to part of the ribbon. We had presents on top of presents. He knocked one present off of another to sit there and had his head underneath another present to get to the ribbon of the one under it. It was rather funny to watch.

Ember wasn't much for playing today either. She seems stuck between getting bored with the laser light and having an immediate reaction to seeing it. She showed a little interest in the wand toy, but not enough to really go after it. Ash just wanted to be petted.

If I only have one hand I don't type. I can't. Especially not that much. I'm usually typing this with someone laying partly on the keyboard or headbutting my hands, but I'm alone tonight. It's a little odd, actually. Ash did lay over one of my arms with his head on my hip today. It seems to be happening more frequently lately. Fortunately, I only really needed one hand at the time. It was my first time disturbing him though. I hated doing it too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting. Makes sense. It is cool she is happy, that is the goal. She sounds really sweet.

Good for you. I don't doubt you will achieve what you put your mind to.

I was thinking, you could do calendars as well. I think Shutterfly or someone puts the pictures in calendars. You could do all sorts of calendars, animal, views, etc. You can do them for the shelter you help with where someone donates and they get a calendar, things like that. And of course beyond. So many things you can do. To combine writing and photography.

Curled up in a dog bed is a good excuse for not coming in. Awwww, poor kitty, something upset someone's stomach. :( Some cats get closer when they don't feel well and so stay away, it is hard to know. I hope it goes away fast. Did they eat something different?

Hahaha, we'll except flies then. :) Yeah, I think you know your cats and if you think they are fine they are. Honestly, the vast vast majority of cats do not want to hurt any human unless threatened and even them they usually run. It is when they have no way out. I actually am not cautious enough with ferals, I should be more careful.

Hahaha, yep, they love to do that kind of stuff. So cute.

It can be difficult sometimes. Just keep trying. It isn't bad that Ash wanted to be pet. It is always nice to give love.

It took me forever to type one handed. :( But I got it done. Yep, head butting, etc. Never fails. Some love to lay on top of an arm etc. That is sweet Ash is so close. I know it is hard to disturb them but we have to do things. They think we can just sit there for them only!! Hahahaha

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is very sweet. Sometimes it's still a bit surprising that she acts out around large dogs. She wouldn't ever hurt a person though, that much I know.

My mom mentioned doing calendars too when I was doing holiday pictures of my animals. It's something I would like to do. However, the idea about the shelter is interesting. I just might do something like that. I would definitely love to be able to help shelters more, but I don't have the money to donate myself.

They've been taking turns with the dog bed. I even got them their own, but it's far less appealing than the dog's, especially now that she got a new one.

I hope it goes quickly too. I'm always looking for signs of illness the first time I see something even slightly concerning. So far it seems to be only a one time thing as I haven't seen (or smelled) anymore. I don't know of any changes though, admittedly, we went back to their Friskies a bit quicker than I would have liked. We pretty much completely ran out of the Fancy Feast we had them on though they weren't on it long. Friskies was what they had been on prior. I'm still trying to figure out what wet food to get them on. It seems like people have had luck getting cats to lose weight with Fancy Feast, but the cans are just so small! They don't last long enough. Friskies offers more wet food which both Ash and Ember need. Of course, it's good for Frost too, but he doesn't concern me quite as much. I see him drinking pretty much daily. And he did sleep in my bed with me last night although he came a bit late.

I think it's the same with most animals. I refuse to believe any of them wish to cause harm, but will do what it takes to protect themselves. I wouldn't expect any less of them. It seems to me that having less caution is often best. Of course, one needs to be careful and think things through, but too much caution causes fear. I'm not careful enough with my indoor cats. I've jumped in the middle of a fight more than once and I have yet to be seriously injured. None of the three I have now have ever intentionally injured me. I do believe that's in part because I don't fear being injured.

Fortunately, I'm a pretty good typer so I can manage fairly well despite the interruptions, but one-handed is very difficult for me. They most definitely seem think we have nothing better to do than serve as a comfortable seat for them. I would be happy to oblige, but it's just not possible at times. Especially with Frost who seems to be on me more often than he isn't.

Ash laid on my lap today! Twice! It was really quite amazing. I mean, it only took six years for him to decide my lap wasn't such a bad place after all. He's only stayed on my lap once before and I had put him there when he was quite frightened after Ember attacked him. He did it all on his own today. He started off by my legs and then put his head in my lap. Then he just got up and got on my lap like it was the most normal thing to do. He did purr much the first time, but he seemed to fall asleep briefly. He got up and sat next to me, but returned as soon as I started petting him again. He curled right up on my lap and purred away while I petted him.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes small dogs do act out against bigger dogs. It is more common than you probably think. Yes, she does sound sweet and doesn't sound like she would hurt anyone.

Time and effort is much greater a donation than money. Doing a calendar, highlighting the beautiful rescue cats, telling a little story about them could be a wonderful way to raise awareness and money. And I will admit, it could get your name (brand) out and lead to other business (though I know that is not the intent but sometimes good things come from good deeds).

It seems to work out that way all the time. The grass is always greener on the other (dog bed) side.

Changing food can definitely cause diarrhea.

I think you are exactly right. They have to be that way to survive. Yes, how we act has a huge influence on how the animal reacts. Confidence is really important, not being reckless though. I actually have tried to break up a feral cat figth which was reckless. I wasn't injured but I would never do it again. I was very lucky.

Totally agree. It is wonderful they love to be with us.

WOW!!! AWESOME!!! THAT is special!! I love to hear that. He realized he was missing out. Terrific moment.