Struggling With Play Time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A while after replying to this, Ash laid right up against my legs and even put one of his front legs on my lap. It was a small gesture, but it meant a lot. I really feel like, even after all these years, my relationship with them is continuing to improve and the bond deepening. It's really great. I'm happy they're beginning to be a little more affectionate.

I've looked into laws for my county and it was all very promising. It sounds like the county is trying to be completely no-kill. I read up on someone who got it approved to start a TNR program so she'd go get the ferals, neuter them, and then release them in another area of the county where she'd continued to feed them. I didn't find much on it. The Humane Society is supposed to be helping too though and there were a few pages advocating TNR, many of which mention making the county no-kill. I didn't find anything that blatantly said it's legal, but there were a couple of sites that were directed to people feeding and caring for ferals. I think the overall lack of information is rather promising too. If it was illegal, it seems likely it would be stated somewhere. I can't see Jax causing enough of an issue that anyone would really do anything though. He's been around and nothing has been done yet.

I agree that it's interesting that a cop has a dog running loose. Obviously, he trusts the dog and, from what I've seen, he has a right to. The dog watches me more often than actually running up to me. However, I don't think that means the man has a right to let his dog be loose. I don't believe in chains, but that is a very large dog. He's intimidating, if nothing else. Plus, there's always a risk. What if he sees a cat? Or even just a squirrel? He could take off running. From what I've heard though, all the cops are really lenient. It seems like most of the people they pull over get let off with a warning. Pretty much everyone are on friendly terms with the police.

I agree. I'll admit I have questioned getting animals neutered, but only because I am very much against doing anything unnatural to an animal, especially because they can't given permission. However, as much as I dislike that aspect of it, I know that it's best for everyone involved and their lives will much easier afterwards. I'd very much like to help make the lives of ferals better in any way I can.

I was actually going to say that I might not feed him unless he looks like he needs it or he at least starts hanging around here a little more, but my mom bought some food for him today. So looks like we're going to feed him. However, that might not actually be possible since I haven't seen him since the first time. I hope I didn't scare him off. He didn't run away from me and I didn't push him. I was considering putting some food out around the time that I saw him and sitting out on the porch for a while to see if he's just gotten good at hiding.

You're right. I like to plan ahead anyway. I am going to see if someone is in my area.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it amazing?!?!?! Things like that are so special, I know exactly how you feel.

That is great. You can always call the city (or whoever is in charge of your community) and ask about any ordinances etc. I just want you to be protected. You never know if there is someone in your area that is difficult. I know I have a person that is terrible. But it is very promising to hear. Animal friendly, yea!!!

The dog probably is good. He is smart enough to know the liability and danger. I think I want to live in your community!! Sounds cool.

Yes, as long as we have the best interests at heart then I think we do what is best. It is hard to do but important. There are health benefits and fighting benefits in addition to reproduction benefits.

I like your mom. She is really proactive. If you do just make sure you are comfortable you will not get in trouble and make sure you watch so you can take the food in so other animals don't come around. I guarantee you did not scare him off. I feed some and don't always see them that often. I have my regulars but the others come around sometimes often sometimes not. Don't worry, he'll love you.

Great plan. I know you always think things through which is great.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really is. Today Ember just randomly crawled in my lap. Right when I was going to get up too. It's not exactly unusual, but it's normally only when I'm sitting on the couch and have been for at least a few minutes. I was in my bed sorting through things when I was going to get up and do something else. She just jumped up and curled up on my lap. So then I couldn't get up.

I forgot I was going to mention this yesterday. It's not something I'm too worried about, there was some issues the other night. I heard someone running through the house, but no hissing or spitting. I got up anyway though because it sounded kind of panicky. Both Frost and Ash were out in the storage room with Ash on the cat stand. Ember was in the dining room with her tail slightly puffed and was staring towards the storage room. I tried to pet her and she ran under the table. I almost went back to bed, but I knew it wouldn't take much to set her off and didn't want something to happen. So then I sat in the dining room until she came out and I picked her up to show her Ash. However, she had no interest in him. When I walked out there with her, she immediately started looking around for an intruder and barely even sniffed Ash when I brought her over to him. I really think she doesn't realize it's him. I know their night vision is supposed to be great, but Ash is basically the perfect coloring to blend into shadows and I think he startles her when he goes running through the house. It all happens so quickly she probably can't process that it was just him. That or we have a fourth cat that comes running through the house in the middle of the night and we're unaware of it.

Also, I think Frost is getting worse again. He did seem to calm down, but he's been hissing at Ember multiple times a time and seems to be slapping her a bit more often.

I don't think it'll be a problem. Maybe I'll feed him out of the way just in case, but I can't really see anyone making a fuss over a cat eating on my property. I might call just in case, but I think it'll be fine. It might be a problem if we attract a bunch of ferals which I want to avoid. I don't mind feeding them, but I can only afford so much food and I don't want to encourage anyone that's passing through to stay. I do not think that this is the best place for a cat to settle down what with all the dogs and the main street and all the people that don't feel the need to stop at stop signs. I've almost been hit! More than once. I'm willing to help those who are already here, but I don't want to encourage any others. I'm not sure if that's possible, but I can try.

He does seem like a large dog, but I'm the paranoid type. I'm trying to get out of my community! Not because I have any issues in particular with it though. It's a nice, quiet area, but rather poor. I'd like to be able to live away from people where I don't have to worry about bothering neighbors. I don't do well with the heat either.

Yes, I agree. Getting them neutered is for the best even if it isn't perfect. It's for their benefit as much as our own.

She's a good person. Feeding him will be my responsibility though. It was a really cheap bag of food. I might try to find something a little better afterwards. I'm not sure when I'll be able to sit out with some food. If I knew he was coming and when, then it wouldn't be a problem, but I'll probably have to be out for a while. I won't be home this weekend so it might have to wait until the following weekend. I could put some out while I walk the dog, but I'm afraid my going back and forth will scare him off. Also, will I have to throw away any food that I put out if it isn't eaten? Or can I reuse it? I don't want to do anything to harm him, but I don't want to waste food either.

I did get a list from Alley Cat Allies. They sent me a list with a number of both organizations and people in my area. I found an organization that seemed to be willing to help with everything except the actual neutering, but they charge for renting one of their cages and it didn't say anything as to whether or not you get your money back. There's no way I can afford $20-$50 for a cage I'm not even keeping. There are some other places I can look into though. I only got to one so far.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is awesome. They usually have exquisite timing. :)

We get that as well. There will be a flurry of activity and when we investigate nothing. I think some cats do get startled. It sounds like Ember was asleep and caught the tail end of play. It doesn't sounds like it was directed as anyone. If it was to Ash she would have been focused on him. I hope there isn't another cat ............ Hahahaha

Hmmmmm, I wonder why. Just keep watching and doing positive associations between Frost and Ember. I am surprised, I didn't expect that. I am guessing it isn't anything too major.

It is always best to try to keep a very low profile and for the cats to as well. I wish I had mine to be more stealthy and feral. They would be safer for a variety reasons if they were. The best thing to do is take in any food so that it doesn't bring others around. It is tricky. Usually they get on a schedule. Mine will wait for feeding time if they are early. It is always best to feed at a specific time. And leave it out for a short time so others (raccoons, rats etc) don't start enjoying.

I know it is better to be cautious and err on the side of caution. Assuming something can lead to bad things. Better to be safe than sorry. I didn't realize you wanted out. It sounds pretty nice. Animal friendly. Some of the best people I have met are poor and some of the worst are richer. Wealth has a lot of different meanings to different people. Your community sounds rather wealthy in the important things. I hear you, it is nice to not have to worry about bothering other people. Yes, the heat. :( But other than San Diego most places have it too hot, or too cold or both at times. :(

I can tell she is a good person. That is great.

If it is dry food you can reuse I believe. As long as it didn't get contaminated in any way. I would post on the feral section and ask that question as I am not exactly sure. I have always just fed and whatever was left over (which since i know how much they eat isn't much usually) I just throw away. Wasting is not good I agree.

I think it is fine if you start in a week or two. You will be able to see his pattern possibly in that time.

That is great there are multiple locations. Just keep asking. Mention how important it is and that your funds are limited. Usually you can find someone that will come, trap, and use a clinic they know to get discounter procedures and use funds from a rescue etc to pay for it. Most people understand that not everyone can help every time and in the great good will figure out a way to get it done. Just keep asking and going down that list. I think you should be able to find someone that will do pretty much all of it. A lot of good people in this animal TNR community.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a bit odd that things happen and she doesn't even realize who's doing it. Ash is known for tearing through the house in the middle of the night. It's a bit ironic that the calm, laidback, lazy, slightly standoffish, and probably the most mature-acting of them is the one who causes havoc at night. I have yet to catch the other two doing anything at night unless he convinces them to wrestle with him and even that doesn't happen often. But, unless there really is another cat, there can't be another smell to make her think there's an intruder. Sometimes I wonder what's going on in her little head.

It seems back and forth a lot with Frost. Every time I start thinking there might not be a problem, it starts up again even worse than before. He hasn't resorted to any extremes yet, but it really bothers me that he's doing this and I don't know why he's doing it. I'm not sure what's worse: The actual behavior or the mystery behind it.

Yeah, I intend on feeding him at the same time every day. I just don't know what time that should be since I can't ever seem to find him. I understand it's probably for the best to keep your distance and let them be feral when they're living outside, but I think they gain a lot from being able to trust you as well. I'm a big believer in that living isn't always about surviving, but about being happy too. I don't really have any intentions of trying to tame him, but if it turns out he's not really feral and already has some buried trust towards people, it's possible he could be tamed and rehomed.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing personal against where I live other than that it's just one of those places that you get stuck in. It seems like half the people who move away end up coming back after a year or two and it's not often someone moves to begin with. It's just like you get stuck, unable to improve your life beyond a certain point, and I don't want to be like that. Otherwise it's mostly just the heat and the fact that I don't like having close neighbors. In my search, I have found that the "perfect weather" is pretty much nonexistent; however, I prefer the cold over the heat. The heat is actually a bit of a health risk with me because I can faint though normally only if I don't eat.

All right, I'll post when I get the chance. I'll probably be on there sooner or later anyway if I'm taking care of a feral/stray.

Good news! My mom saw Jax when she got home today. He was almost in front of our house when she pulled up and then he turned around and walked away. He went in someone else's yard and I went to look around, but it was too dark to see much of anything. At least now I can start looking for him at six and see if he's around then. On another note, when I took the dog for a walk, I saw a big, fat opossum. I'm starting to think I was very wrong on how many animals there are around here. There's not much for them, but I guess there's some. This is the second time we've seen an opossum. I hope it doesn't give Jax any issues, but it didn't look like it was in dire need of food, that's for sure.

I'll probably contact that organization and ask about the cages. If anything, there might be another place that'll let me use one for free. Even if I just go to one of the vet clinics listed and don't receive as much help with the actual trapping, I could still get it done. I could probably contact one of the individual people for help too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she probably sleeps pretty deep. And then something startles her. It isn't unusual.

I know what you mean, mine go wild sometimes and it is like "where did that come from?". Pretty funny when you see a mature cat act like a kitten.

It happens, I see it with mine. In the grand scheme of things it is very minor. Nothing too bad. But I know what you mean, you worry something is starting. I build confidence and positive associations. Just keep trying to do that. I think the mystery and the fear it could lead to something is worse.

It is tricky. I go back and forth. I want mine to be social in case I can find them a home but I don't want them to trust every human as some humans are really bad to animals. I see it with mine, they love having that interaction. I struggle with what is best. I think you will make the best choice. It would be wonderful if he could find a forever home. It is just hard to find them. :(

I understand. I think you are going to do fine. I think you can achieve what you want. Keep reaching for your goals, you will achieve.

:) Yes. It is a great part of the site. You will get more opinions than just mine which will help you make the best decisions and also learn a lot.

That is great. You have a rough time to look for him. It is really good that he walked away. It sounds like he is pretty used to people. That is good. I wonder if someone else is feeding. He seems very calm.

Oppossum are actually really nice. I have some that come around and I actually feed them chicken. Mine are good with the cats and the cats are good with them. It is best to not encourage them but at least in my experience they will not hurt the cats. Raccoons on the other hand you have to be very careful with.

I would contact some people as well. Even if for advice. It is amazing how people will help or help move you in the right direction. Before you spend any money you can't really afford make sure you ask around more. Just explain that money resources are not abundant. I think people that do this realize that people like us pay back in other ways. People want to help the animals.

Before you do anything always contact me here or people on the feral side of the site. We have experience in trapping and handling etc.

Exciting.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is an odd sight seeing the mature cat who kind of reminds me of one of those too-good-for-you types sometimes with his eyes all wide and that look of sheer playfulness. I always love it though I'm not entirely sure why. He looks a bit crazy, like if you move too fast he might attack.

Yeah, it's just so confusing and hard to not worry over. Honestly, it probably wouldn't bother me as much if it was Ember or Ash. Well, it would bother me, but it wouldn't seem like as big of a deal since they're a bit moodier. But Frost? My sweet, loving, friendly, not-a-care-in-the-world Frost? He's never been aggressive in his life. I know this isn't true aggression, but it's the closest he's ever gotten.

Unfortunately, you never know if they can live in a home until you try. It would be nice if you could tell right off the bat whether or not they could be a housecat, wouldn't it? But it seems like they'd still have at least some of those feral instincts even if they are mostly tamed, so they do have a chance living outside. You can't save them from every danger, but can you ever? A tamed feral has a better chance of living outside than any of my cats if they managed to get out and run off. It might be a slim chance, but it still exists. If they seem happy then I would say it's probably worth it. As sad as it is, at least they get to live out what lives they have knowing they're loved.

Yeah, I'll get on there. It'll probably wait until this weekend though. It always takes quite a bit of time to type those things up. I need to post about Stella on a dog forum too because she hasn't been eating right, so I'll do those two things this weekend.

He is definitely tough to keep track of. I went out a little after six today and couldn't see any signs of him. I'd like to sit out there longer, but it's so dark I can't see much and it's very cold. It was low thirties today and probably even colder then since it was already dark.

I didn't really think the opossum would be much of an issue, but I don't know much about them to know for sure. Any animal could cause issues if hungry, but they don't really seem like the type to start anything. I don't know why people don't like them. I, personally, have nothing against them. I can't afford to feed one though, so I won't be encouraging any. It's interesting that they all do okay with each other though. I haven't seen any raccoons yet, but I wouldn't have expected to see an opossum at four either.

I will. I think I'm going to put off contacting anyone until next week though. That way maybe I could figure out a bit more of his schedule and possibly even a little more of his temperament. If not then I'll probably go ahead and contact them, but I'd like to be able to offer as much information as I can. I'm not sure if I should do it next week though or if I should wait until I try setting out some food. We could set up a cage anyway and hope for the best. I'm kind of interested to see if we catch any other cats. However, I'd like to be able to offer as much information as I can which, at this point, isn't much.

I'll definitely make sure to get advice from you or someone else first. I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing and I definitely don't want to do anything to harm this cat--or any other animals--in any way. I'm really too paranoid to try anything on my own anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean, they get that wild playful kitten look. It is awfully cute but I know what you mean it is like "where did that come from".

I totally understand. And definitely keep an eye on him. It could be nothing it could be something. It is just hard to tell. We just need to watch him. He could be uncomfortable, he could have been bothered and has a lingering anger. It could be just a bad day. Let's just keep an eye on him. Make sure everything else is normal, not avoiding areas, walking the same way, eating, using litter, etc.

I think that is right. I will say, I have taken in a lot of ferals. And I have ferals outside now. I think everyone could be in a home. Ferals really are just cats without a home. They are cats that respond to love and though it may take more time to build trust with humans I haven't dealt with one that hasn't gained some trust. It really is the humans I think that determine the success of moving inside. Not all people are meant to have a feral. If that makes sense. If I could take mine in I would. Ferals actually have a better chance of getting along with other cats in my opinion because in the wild they have to in order to survive. My opinion though. They do like the outside though. My neighbor has a former feral and he can't wait to come out and come over here to eat. He loves it, begs her to come out, etc. Mine I never let out but they love to watch the other ferals (some of mine were with them outside). It is really interesting to watch. I know my ferals are happy. I know it is better for them to be in a home but I can't bring them in as I am maxed out and I can't find anyone to take them. So I try to give them the best lives I can. Homes, food, try to protect them as much as I can. All we can do is our best.

Sounds good. This weekend is fine. I hope Stella is ok.

Yeah, it is a process. And they don't always come around. I have my core ferals and I have that come by once in a while event though I feed them every time they come around. And even knowing they will get food they don't always come around for whatever reason. Or I miss them.

My one opossum actually can be quite aggressive to the raccoons. But he is friendly with the cats and the cats with him. I guess it just depends but opossum tend to be less aggressive but best to be careful. My opossum actually uses the cat houses sometimes. Go figure. Raccoons you do not want so taking in food is very important so they don't come around.

I think starting a relationship and knowing that someone can or will help is a good idea. Then you can just do what you think is best, whether you need help etc. And if you do then you don't have to rush around to find someone to help. He is a male so it isn't an immediate need so that is good.

I just want you to be protected, to be safe. You will not hurt the animal but I want you to be safe. It can be a bit disconcerting when you see a cat thrash around after being trapped. It is good for the first time or two to have an experienced person with you to help. That is how I started.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely be watching Frost when I can, but I can't see anything happening to provoke it. No one seems nervous around him and he's absolutely as sweet as can be with me. I don't see him in the litter box much, but it doesn't seem like they're every empty even right after being cleaned out. Eating is back and forth with him. They've mostly been doing fine other than Thursday night we ran out of their wet food and so I had to use a can that they didn't like. In the end, Frost was the only one I couldn't get to eat at all and Ash eat maybe half of it. However, the next morning no one wanted to eat and I'm not sure why. They don't get wet food in the morning though I might change that. They usually eat fine without it in the morning though they refuse to in the evenings.

I think you're right about it being the humans most of the time. I won't say it's the same every time. I don't have the experience to be able to say that every cat could have a happy life indoors. I think at least most can, but there may be some who simply don't like being trapped inside. I can't say since I've never worked with them before. I was actually just think that, from what I've read, it seems like ferals have fewer issues with resident cats than housecats. It makes sense in a way, and yet doesn't in another. Obviously they have to get used to sharing the world with other animals and they often live with other cats, but it seems like they'd be more wary too. Like, you hear about cats being territorial and yet those gets live in peace with each other. It's contradicting. I think what you do for your cats, inside and out, is fantastic. It's a lot more than what many others would do and it's a lot more than what I'm capable of doing in my current situation. I understand it's hard. It's hard for me to even think about Jax out in the cold and he's a cat I've only seen once! I can only imagine how difficult it must be once you actually get attached. But every little thing counts. Sometimes it's the little things that count the most.

I'm not sure if I'm posting tonight or tomorrow. I was hoping to get on earlier today and do it so I wouldn't forget, but I left around eleven and didn't get back until almost eight. It takes a while for me to type things up since I always make them longer than they probably need to be. Stella, I think, is fine, but she isn't want to eat in the mornings. Doesn't matter what we do. Change foods, add water, add wet; she doesn't want it. I have to hand feed her the tiniest pieces and work up to her eating on her own and I simply don't have time for that in the mornings. She eats fine in the evenings.

I haven't seen him yet. I'm going to keep looking, but it's getting really cold out. If it would warm up a little I could sit outside for a while. I hope he has somewhere at least somewhat warm to stay. I would really like to see him in the daylight so I could see what condition he's in, but at this point I just want to see him, light or dark. I want to find out when he's coming around. I will probably start contacting people this week. I might wait until Tuesday or Wednesday just so I can see if I can find out when he's coming around. If not, then I'll go ahead and do so. He is coming around so maybe we can trap him even without that information.

It's almost sad that we have to be careful about raccoons. If I had the money and the space to not worry about neighbors or roads, I wouldn't mind feeding anyone who came by, but I definitely don't want to put cats at risk. I won't be doing anything to attract animals as it is though. Even if fights weren't a problem, I don't have the money or the space.

I won't do anything unnecessary. I just want to do what's best for them and sometimes that's backing off and letting someone who knows better step in whether that's through action or simply letting them give me advice. I don't intend on doing anything without asking for help first.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm. I am guessing it is nothing but it could be he isn't feeling well or something is upsetting him. It is hard to tell since there really isn't anything obvious. Let's keep watching him.

It is amazing. I know, it does make sense in a way and in a way it doesn't. But I think that is right, ferals tend to get along a little better because they have to in the wild for survival among other reasons. I am sure there are ferals that just can't take being confined in a house. I am lucky enough not to have faced that yet. Thank you, I try to do the best for them. Ferals are cats without a home really in my eyes. They can be gentle and loving and loyal and caring. Pretty amazing given the dangers they face every day.

The little things in life can be really wonderful, I so agree.

My sister's dogs are very picky as well. It could just be that Stella's metabolism is slowing down or she isn't hungry first thing in the morning. As long as she does eat, isn't losing weight, and acts normal I wouldn't worry too much.

It isn't surprising you don't see him all the time. Just keep looking. It is best to kind of know when he comes around (to understand if he is someone's cat and for trap timing) but typically if you put out a stinky food in a trap they come. Their noses are really good if they are somewhat close. And from dusk into the early hours are great trap times. The TNR people will know what to do but it is good to kind of know the routine if a specific cat is targeted.

Agreed.

Great. We'll get you through this and do what is right. Don't worry. I do wonder if Jax is someone's cat.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully there aren't many ferals who can't adapt. I'm sure it's harder for some of the older ones though. It's a lot to get used to. Of course, we can't save all of them, but that doesn't mean we can't try. It's hard to see any of them suffer, but trying to do more for them than you're capable of can end up doing more damage. People always seem to think I'm going to be a hoarder just because I love animals so much, but they don't seem to realize that I respect them and I'm not so naïve as to think I can have as many animals as I want and still be helping them. My main goal is the give them the best life I possible can, not collect as many as possible. Ferals are amazing though. They go through so much and yet they're still able to get over this difficulties. They're willing to overcome and, eventually, to trust.

I'm not overly worried yet since she isn't losing weight, but it can be frustrating to watch her go without eating. Especially so when we had to throw the food out because it had wet food or water in it. However, it's a bit concerning that she's gone from gobbling her food so fast we thought she'd get sick to not wanting to eat at all.

I'll definitely keep a look out. The only reason I'm putting off contacting anyone now is because I was hoping I could figure out when we should focus on trying to trap him. I also figured if I could start feeding him beforehand, he'd get used to coming over and getting food. It wouldn't be all the weird to have food in a trap then.

I've wondered if he was someone's cat too. I've even considered if he just keeps on escaping because it seems like our sightings of him are so infrequent and inconsistent, but he acts wary. When I saw him, I had the dog so he could have been nervous of her, but it sounds like he's always kept his distance and moved away from my mom too. Every cat is different, but I kind of thought at least most housecats would be friendlier towards people. I was wanting to get a better look at him so I could see if he looked like he was eating well.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are exactly right. I do not worry at all that you will be a hoarder. As you said, you care about what is best for the animals and think things through. Yes, older ferals are more difficult to bring in generally but it depends on their history.

That is good she isn't losing weight. I know, it can be frustrating. Her metabolism may have slowed down or maybe she wants to eat later. Just keep an eye on her.

I understand. The one thing I would say is sometimes they get use to the food being in a place so when it is in the trap they are more cautious. And we always want them to be really hungry when we want to trap. I have had great success going to a place where they weren't being fed and trapping and have had good success in places where feeding was taking place. As long as the cat is near he will smell the food (we always want the stinkiest) and then get intrigued. So don't worry about feeding or not feeding. I would ask around a bit to see if he is someone's cat though. We don't want to trap someone's cat. I am wondering if he is someone's.

I just read your last paragraph. Hahahaha, we were thinking the same thing. Yes, how he looks will be a good tell (but some ferals look great). If you saw mine they look like housecats that are let out. But ferals with a good diet of mice etc can look really good too. I have some housecats in the neighborhood and they are skittish and some who aren't, it just depends. It is just tough to know. And cats can roam a pretty large area.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't know what it's about. She isn't young anymore, but the problem is she's not always eating even throughout the day. Sometimes I come home and it hasn't been touched, sometimes there's a hole in the center, and then there are times it's completely empty. I also don't know what's her and what's Frost because he sometimes likes to snack on dog food though I haven't seen him do it in a while and I don't think he usually eats much.

Well, I'm kind of waiting until I see him before I do anything drastic. I'm still going back and forth on whether or not I'm going to contact anyone before seeing him. I'm thinking I'll contact one of the people, but not an organization. I don't want to be a bother or it to turn out he's already neutered. I haven't seen him yet, but I keep forgetting to go outside too. I'll have more time over the weekend though.

I figured it would be a start. If he's healthy and neutered, then it seems likely he's owned. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a tipped ear. If he's underweight and unneutered, then he probably doesn't have a home. If he's underweight, I'm not really sure that I care if he has an owner or not. It's bad enough he's out in the cold wandering the streets.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes dogs do that. Some dogs are great eaters through their, others get picky, some appetites get less over time. I usually watch their weight and their behavior. If that is normal then I don't worry too much. It is always best to contact a vet if you sense something isn't right though.

I understand, I know you will do what is best.

Some have tipped ears and some places take a notch (sideways V) out of the side. Yes, you have a good handle on him. We will see.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really just a drastic change from where she started. Her metabolism slowing down makes sense since she's not exactly young anymore, but it doesn't seem like we've had her long enough for there to be that big of a change. I mean, before we brought her home, she wasn't eating, but that was because she was depressed. One of her favorite people simply disappeared and the other(me) wasn't around much anymore. Once she lived with us, she went right back to gobbling her food down. She regained the weight she had lost quickly. This time it was more of a gradual process. She behaves fine otherwise and my aunt always talks about how she's gained so much weight every time she sees Stella, so I don't think there's been any weight loss.

Well, I didn't get too close to him and looking for any sign of being neutered wasn't the first thing on my mind, but I didn't see any notches. I could be wrong though. I'll continue looking for him though. Hopefully I'll be able to get some pictures of him. I'd love to catch him out in the day with my camera.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are early today.

I understand. Sometimes animals will wolf down food when they fear they will not have access to food or a steady supply of food. It is also possible that she now knows that food is not going to be an issue so she doesn't feel the need to eat everything just in case food isn't available. At her other home was her feeding a little less certain? Depression can cause eating changes. And other things can.

I am glad that she isn't losing weight and she acts fine. That tells me that it isn't too worrisome.

That would be cool to see him. My guess is he will only come around when it starts getting dark but cameras can pick up a little in the dusk etc. Fingers crossed.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I was. I didn't have anything I had to do, but there was something that I wanted to do. I knew that it would take a while to do and so I went ahead and responded so I wouldn't forget. Of course, now I've found a bit of extra time because it takes forever to load and save the pictures I'm editing.

I'm not entirely sure exactly how her feedings went at her old home. She got fed earlier and she did live with other dogs though all of them were a bit old. It seems unlikely any of them would manage to steal her food. If anything, it would be the other way around. I think I feed her a little more dog food, but she gets less human food. I'm more paranoid about what's healthy and what's not. She's still her excitable, energetic self.

I can manage early dusk, but if it gets too late then I need something to keep my camera stable. I'm at a disadvantage because I have tremors so my hands shake. The camera does a good job covering it up, but it gets harder with low light. I do hope I see him though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was cool, you usually aren't on so early. You are really a serious photographer, very cool.

Maybe she is tired of the dog food a little? I know I have to switch around food for my animals as they get bored with it. At least she is her excitable, energetic self. Weight and behavior are usually very telling.

It sounds like you are an expert at photography so I am sure you will get great photos. You will see him. It sounds like he is around a lot. It is hard, some of the other ferals I have that come and go don't always come around so I know how hard it is to see them. But they do eventually come around. I am interested to hear more about him.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably won't happen too often, but right now things are running a bit differently. It's more stressful during the day, but I have less to do in the evening. Well, I'm an amateur photographer. I've been doing it for a bit over a year now. I hope to start selling eventually, but I just got an editing software so I've been playing around with that lately.

We've changed her food a few times. She was on Pedigree and we've done a couple different kinds. Now she's on Purina One with tender bites. It seemed to help at first, but not so much anymore.

I hope. If he's coming around at six then it'll be difficult. It's really dark by then. It would be easier in the summer since it stays light longer. There's not much of an opening now that it gets so dark so early. I'm going to keep trying to find him and I'll get pictures at some point in time. I'd like to know more about him myself.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are early again today. That is cool you get to relax a little at night. My days are a little quieter but my nights are crazy busy. :(

Good for you. That is cool. That would be great to sell at some point. I don't know how it works but Getty Images might always need photos for things in addition to businesses and people. Very cool. Good luck!!

Yeah, dogs can get bored easily. My sister's dogs are really bad at eating. But they too aren't losing weight and act normal so for them it is definitely the food they get bored with (or their metabolism has slowed). Always something. :(

Yeah, they do tend to come around more in the dark unfortunately. A few of my non-regulars do that. My other one comes round during the day when my colony is asleep. You'll start seeing a routine once you see him more.

I was just thinking not only do I not take a good picture (with a camera) but I don't take a good picture (in front of a camera) either.

You have a good artistic eye I bet. Taking good pictures is hard.