Struggling With Play Time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I know. I had a Chihuahua that was smaller than Stella and chased a black lab out of our yard. Small dogs are fierce. But it's more of a fear thing with her. She usually only attacks when it's a place she's familiar with. Anywhere else and she cowers in fear. Which is sort of a problem because I'd really like to have a big dog when I have the space.

Yes, I think it's a good idea. I'd have to figure out exactly how I'd go about it and I'll probably wait just a little longer to gain more experience, but I'd like to look into it. Perhaps the shelter could let me take pictures of their animals and use their pictures in a calendar. Especially the animals no one seems to want. It could spread the word. And, of course, it would help me in the long run. I actually visited another shelter today that I might volunteer at when I'm with my dad. It seems like a really nice shelter too.

I could see myself jumping in the middle of a fight. It's kind of instinct. I have jumped in the middle of a fight between Ember's mother and Frost. Well, it was a one sided fight. She somehow managed to open my bedroom door in the middle of the night and went tearing after him. That was the worst fight I intervened and I was mostly unscathed.

It was really wonderful. I'll admit I actually got a bit emotional over it. I'm still not sure I totally believe it even happened. It's interesting watching them change as they age. You never know what kind of cat they'll end up being in the future.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can get Stella to get along with a big dog. I wouldn't worry. You know what you are doing.

Exactly, I think that is great for you and the shelter. Maybe you can take good pictures and they can create a facebook page etc. And have postings in the shelter for people wanting to adopt. Etc. So many positives can come from it.

That is great you might volunteer at another shelter. Good for you!!

Oh my, well I hope you don't have to again. Just be careful as it is dangerous to jump in.

So true. And Ash has responded to your love. That is really special to share that love. I was emotional about it as I know the feeling and the impact of that on both the cat and the person. It really is special.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure that I do, to be honest. I don't have all that much experience with dogs since I was rather young when I had the last two. I can't say I've dealt with fear. I don't want to stress her out by getting a dog and then working on her fear, but I'm not very close to my family and not many have large dogs.

I take pictures at the shelter anyway, but it's more for myself. I don't use them for anything and they told me they already had a volunteer photographer, but I'd be more than happy to offer my services for something else. They don't seem to keep up on updating their website, but I wouldn't mind doing something for them. We actually have a blog for our own cats that we've never used. I was thinking about having a "cat of the week/day" or something similar for shelter animals on it.

Well, considering I want to work with animals, I probably will. But that's okay. I'll do my best to be careful as well as protect them.

Yes, it was a very special moment. I almost want to tell everyone I come across about it, but I doubt many would truly understand just how special it is. It's something only a cat parent could really relate to.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your instinct will solve it along with your desire and your knowledge and desire to learn. Just keep comforting her and letting her know all is well. She'll realize through repetition that things are ok. Her fears do not lead to actual harm which will help her get less fearful.

Exactly. So many good ideas. You will figure out something and do it really well.

I just want you to be safe. It is tricky. But first thing I want you to be safe. It is always best to use a pillow or something to distract them.

I think anyone that felt true love would understand. True love is rare but special. One has to love themselves to feel true love and share true love in my opinion. It is hard to explain but it is such a special feeling as you are well aware. I wish everyone could experience true love more in their lives. It really makes the world better. I am so glad you have made such a great impact on Ash and all your animals. So special words cannot really describe.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try, but I have no idea where to start. I've been wanting to post on the dog forum, but I really don't care for it. The community is not at all like the one I found here. I never found a better one either. Maybe someday I'll be able to contact a dog behaviorist or something. I don't know when though.

Well, maybe I'll be able to get myself to think of grabbing something before jumping into a fight. I don't really think about it to be honest.

Maybe. It would be much better if people could have a little more love. I cherish all of my relationships with those of different species. I don't know why some people seem to think that those bonds can't happen between two different species. I hope to continue to provide the best life for my animals and animals that I'll have in the future. It is very special.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think (rightly or wrongly) that dogs are a lot easier to get along than cats since they don't have such territorial instincts. Now Stella does seem a little different. I think picking the right big dog will be very important and just getting Stella more use to other dogs (like when she walks). I have had a lot of dogs in my life and I never really had issues. I had abused dogs and when they joined the family they just got along (though they were skittish at first). Most dogs do not want to fight. Sure they may squabble over food etc but typically they are good at accepting. I think you have good instincts. You know more than you give yourself credit and you are intelligent. I think Stella will surprise you too, that she will get use to the dog and adapt. Dogs are a lot easier in my opinion.

It is best to grab something just so you are more protected. It can be dangerous sadly. :(

I know you will continue to provide the best life for your animals, I have no doubt about that. Your love for them guarantees it.

People who don't understand the bond and love are missing out on something very special sadly. Hopefully they will recognize it as their lives will be better in my opinion.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that, just as it is with cats, it depends on the dog's breed and personality. Some breeds were bred for guarding livestock or property and those breeds are known for being territorial. Some breeds are simply stubborn. However, more often than not you are probably right. I don't know of a single breed that wasn't bred to be loyal and eager to please so they tend to take to training better than cats. My problem is that I simply don't have to resources. We have family who asked me to walk their large dog and I accepted. I wanted to use the experience to get Stella adjusted. But it only lasted two or three walks and they stopped asking me to. My cousins would probably let me, but I don't know what their dog's experience on the leash is and I haven't really talked to them much.

Everyone got their Christmas presents yesterday! They all seemed to like their new toys so I'm happy about that. I always worry they won't like things. Stella is only hard because nothing can hold up to her teeth, but the cats can be a bit tricky. Nothing holds their interest for very long. However, they got mice that you put catnip in and mice that are made of catnip. I think Ember was a bit overwhelmed. She had three of the five mice. Ash went running off with one. They got a new wand toy. It was a cheap one. They all loved it except Frost though he starting taking to it by the end of our play session today. I ran through the house with it trailing behind me. Stella got an elk antler that she loves and a stuffed, double stitched hedgehog toy that's already frayed a bit. Oh well. It's day two and doesn't have a hole in it. That's impressive when it comes to her and toys.

It was cute though because they all seemed to know they were getting stuff. They all came to me when I got their stockings and Ember put her head in the cat stocking while I was getting things out and opening them up. They were totally into it.

I got a diffuser and some essential oils. I'm going to post about it to make sure I don't get anything harmful and I'm curious to see if anyone has seen an affect on their cats. I'm kind of hoping it helps Ember calm down a bit. Of course, right now she's perfectly content draped over my arms, but there was a bit of hissing today. I don't know why, but it didn't end in anything.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, personality and past experiences. It just depends. I have taken abused dogs so they tend to have a bit of a history but with effort (building trust and loving them) they can come along way and overcome the prior experiences. But it was always humans that abused them or other big dogs. But things can be mistaken in their intent. I would just go to a rescue or a pound and get a puppy that looks like it will grow big. Then you can zero out the risk of a bad history. I don't really know Stella so I don't know exactly how scared she is but I think you can get her out of it with working with her and showing her that experiences with other dogs is not scary.

WOW!!! They got spoiled!! It sounds like the toys went over well. Sounds like success. Isn't it wonderful to see them enjoying them?? Just terrific, well done!! I had a dog that would ruin a toy within 5 minutes. Sounds like Stella is similar, it sounds like you bought good toys. Fingers crossed they stay intact for a little while longer.

That is so cool. Ember, wouldn't see just do that??? So curious. So cool they loved it!!

I actually don't use anything. I just use all the stuff we talk about. Today I had a hiss. My youngest and my oldest. The youngest wanted to play and the oldest didn't want to. Big hiss. I just broke it up and turned it into a positive, giving them love. They were fine after. Young cats like Ember have so much energy and they have to get it out. So they do goofy things, run around, cause trouble. But it is innocent and no bad intent typically. I am guessing Ember is the same.

The holidays can be stressful to and cats can pick up on it so that could be what Ember is responding to also. Just try to play and give love, she'll be fine I am sure.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if we're going to get a puppy or not. If we got a puppy, I'd rather get two so they can entertain each other and I'm afraid a dog with no training will be hard for the cats to accept. I'm sure it can be done, but one of the things that help the most with getting them adjusted to Stella was the fact that Stella could be taught to leave them alone. I also have nothing against getting a full grown dog and feel that they need it more since puppies get homes easily. However, getting a puppy would help Stella since it'll start off small. Stella reacts different in different situations. At my grandmother's house, she tried to attack my aunt's pit bull. But if she's in an unfamiliar place, it because quite obvious she's scared of them. I think she could adjust given time, but my concern is if she'll ever be happy with a big dog around or if she'll always be on edge.

It was really great. I'm happy I managed to appease all of them. Ember is really enjoying the new wand toy. It was good timing since she wasn't as interested in the laser light anymore. Frost isn't playing much, but I did get him to play a little. Stella is absolutely ridiculous. She's fifteen pounds of muscle and she can tear up just about any toy. She loves stuff toys with squeaker, but they just don't last and then we end up with stuffing all over the place which is a hazard to her and the cats. The double stitched toy is holding up okay. I give it another day or two before it's torn open. She's managed to get through most of the double stitching on one side of it.

I have her and Frost on Rescue Remedy, but it hasn't been helping. I was kind of hoping some essential oils would happen to help, but I'm considering trying some more calming products. Today I put together my new studio setup and Ember was nervous at first, but they were all interested in it after I got the backdrop up (which was covered in fur in a matter of seconds). Ash was playing behind it and Ember went after him. I raised my voice a little and she backed off. They calmed down a bit, but she ended up going at him several times. I gave them treats a couple of times and did a training session in which we were sitting in a circle, Ash and Ember across from each other, and everyone was inches away from one another. Everything seemed fine for a while, but she ended up slapping him again when I was brushing him and after that he started growling whenever she was within a few feet of him.

I thought it could be redirect aggression because of something new being in the house, but she seemed to thoroughly enjoy playing with the backdrop. She was getting underneath it (of course) and playing behind it. It was like one moment she was playful and the next she was going after Ash.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you will make the best decisions. You are obviously considering what is best so you are thinking things through. All your points are spot on. I would add one thing, dogs learn and cats learn. So there may be some moments where it seems scary but they work it out. Dogs and cats are really smart and they learn how to deal with each other.

Wow, Stella attacked a pit bull. Yikes. I am glad the pit bull was sweet.

I think all dogs can be happy with other dogs. They tend to be more social. I am sure you will help Stella get along. Your instincts are good and you desire is strong.

You achieved what I wanted to achieve, the animals loving their new toys. Well done!! I love that Ember is playing with the wand toy. Wonderful. I know, my dogs were destructive too. :( At least it has lasted this long.

So Ash was making the backdrop move? No wonder Ember decided to play. Cats LOVE when something moves under a blanket or other cover. You did the right thing to do some positive association. They will get over it, Ember just wanted to play. My youngest just wanted to play with my oldest and there was hissing. I just did some positive association and they are now here fine. I am sure there will be lingering issues but they get over it as I expect Ember and Ash will.

I don't think it was redirected aggression. I think Ember saw something and wanted to play, Ash took it as an attack and it escalated. I don't think there was anything more to it than just misinterpretation. It happens. They have a little history so it may linger but the more they see each other without issues the more they will get over it. Remember slaps and growls and hissing are communication (albeit it more direct like yelling instead of talking) and they didn't get into a true fight. So they expressed their displeasure and that was it. That is how it should be. I think all your efforts have helped them get to the point where they work it out with your help. That is good.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, of course you're right. I think it's more of a question of who would learn quicker. I'd like to cause minimal stress. A puppy, I think, would be less intimidating for both dog and cat, but also more irritating with all that puppy energy. I'm think about asking my cousins if I could "borrow" their dog. The only problem is that I don't know how the dog acts on the leash and, considering he's a 130lb German Shepherd, I'm pretty sure he could take me down if he wanted to. But I think it would be beneficial for him as well as Stella if they'd let me take him on walks with her. I'm pretty sure they'd let me so it's more of a matter of speaking to them and if I can control the dog.

Oh, yes. He was about the sweetest dog you could meet. More of a lap dog than anything. Unfortunately, he had to be put down not too long ago due to internal bleeding. He's missed very much.

I'm very happy to have found a wand toy they can all enjoy even if Frost is a bit hesitant. Stella is about the most destructive dog I've met, but only with toys. It's hard because she's actually so small. Most of the toys that are high quality, indestructible are bigger than her head. Trying to find something the appropriate size for her and strong enough to last is tough. This double stitched toy that I got her has probably done the best so far.

Yes, they all seemed to have a blast doing everything other than what I wanted them to do. Lol. The one time I got Frost to lay down on the backdrop Ember (playfully) attacked him from the other side and drove him off. I had to get the catnip out to get Ember to stay on it long enough to get any pictures. She spent more time underneath it than on top of it. It was fun to watch, but made it a little difficult to keep the backdrop straightened out and I was trying to get some of the fur off of it. It's hard to be mad at them though. I've kind of accepted that I have to work around them.

That makes sense. It all happens so fast it's hard to tell exactly what it was that happened. It wouldn't have bothered me if it had happened once or twice. It was the fact that it kept happening that worried me. I do think I'm going to look into some more calming products though. I know we're in a pretty good situation, but there's just these moments were Ember seems to randomly get tense. Even just earlier, I was in my room and Ember was with me. I don't really know what happened, but she got tense all of a sudden and her tail puffed up. Then I saw Ash in the doorway, but I don't think he did anything other than walk into view. She didn't do anything other than go up and sniff him, but I'd like to limit the times she gets tense like that. It's so easy to push her over the edge when she gets in one of those moods. I mean, if he had done anything other than let her sniff him, she probably would have gone after him.

However, on a different note, I actually had to stop in the middle of typing this because Ash got on my lap. I was beginning to think it was just a one time thing, but he did it again! And what's more, Stella was laying right by my legs so they were next to each other.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is tricky. I think you will make the best decision. Is the german shepherd a good boy? Or is he kind of wild?

I am so sorry. Pit bulls have a reputation but I think it is unfair. The ones I have known have been so sweet. Of course if they are trained to fight etc they can be different but their general disposition seems to be more sweet.

That is great, I am sure Frost will come around to it. As least Ash and Ember are loving it. I know, some dogs are so strong. I am impressed the toy has lasted this long.

Yep, that is exactly how cats act. Always being mischievous. Loving to go under, play with moving things, etc. You might be a star animal photographer in the future!! It is fun to watch and it does teach patience for the human!! :)

They have a little bit of a history so they are more cautious with each other. Just try to keep doing positive association with them and try to avoid any negative encounters with them. So when Ember gets tense just reassure her, talk softly, confidently, calmly, just comfort her. "It's ok", things like that. And as time goes by they will trust each other more. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on products. I would just keep building their confidence and make every encounter between them as positive as possible.

WOW, GREAT!!! That is awesome. Not only is it great fro Ash to bond but it is great they are near each other experiencing a positive encounter and feeling good. Positive association. Such a good thing in so many ways!!! WELL DONE!!!

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know, I thought he would be more wild. He's normally locked up in the other half of the house and stands there whining. The dogs get less than half the yard to use and he's a large dog. I doubt he gets enough exercise. But I got to spend some time with him and he was really quite calm. He didn't like it if I stopped petting him and he was a bit antsy when the other dogs came in, but he was pretty well behaved. He didn't want to let me leave though. Every time I'd try to go to the door, he'd move in front of me. I wish I had the space for a big dog. I think they'd let me keep him. He's really a good dog in a less than great situation.

Yes, that reputation is entirely unfair. We see so many attacks by them because that's what they want us to see. People have really made them into the enemy. What's more, most of those dogs trained to fight aren't people aggressive at all. A person would have to jump in the middle of the fights and break the dogs apart without being attacked, so they had to be people friendly. Just not dog friendly.

Yeah, I'm hoping he'll come around. I figured I'd give it a few days and then, if he's not playing, I'll try the last one we were using though he didn't play much with that one either.

Ember especially likes going under things. She likes laying under blankets with me and gets under the rug in my room. Sometimes she likes to lay underneath me. They definitely teach patience. I think they also teach one to appreciate the little things though. All those moments spent with them and watching them enjoy simple things such as boxes and bags. And those moments when Ash gets on my lap.

It seems like things have gotten worse though. We had another incident. They don't last long and I only have to say something to break it apart, but I feel like every incident is a step in the wrong direction. I got them all together with treats and did a training session again. I think doing the tricks helps further take their mind off of what happened. I'll keep trying, but if I don't seem to be getting anywhere I'll probably go back to calming products. If I found something that could work, I could build up their confidence without having these setbacks. I would rather not have her on anything long-term, but maybe I could take her off of it once she realizes no one is there to hurt her. I don't know. I'm not in a hurry to get anything. I'll keep trying.

Yes, it was really great. He got on my lap twice yesterday and once today, all with the dog nearby. He's really becoming rather cuddly. If only he'd start sleeping in my bed at night. I kind of worry about him because the other two sleep in my bed during the winter, but he doesn't. If Frost is cold, it seems like he would be too and he has no one to snuggle up with. I guess he manages though. His fur is a bit thicker than Frost's silky coat.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given that then if you think you can handle him I think it would be good for him to get walks and love. It sounds like he enjoys your company. He sounds like a great dog.

I agree. I just wish more was done to stop the people abusing animals. I think it is the people more than the dogs that are the problem. :(

Let's hope. But he is doing well so other than for health it isn't absolutely necessary. But it would be nice if he would play.

Some of my cats love to go under things as well. I think you are so right, they teach patience and true love and appreciation. I know they have changed me in positive ways. One of my girls is on me now purring, rubbing. And I am being patient!! It is wonderful that she loves so much. Very special.

Yes, we definitely want them to only have positive encounters but negative ones do happen sadly. What was the latest incident? Where did it happen? Try to remember what triggered it, where it happened to see if there are any commonalities. It is positive they rebound quickly. For some reason Ember and Ash have a little something between them. I am guessing the incident with the backdrop is lingering. Just keep doing positive associations and positive encounters. Especially between Ember and Ash. The more they are together without incident the more trust will be built. There are enough positive encounters between them not to really worry. They just seem to have short tempers with each other at times.

Wow, that is cool. I love to hear he is getting cuddly. I am sure he is fine. They get pretty warm in cat beds etc.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really is. I mean, I've only seen him a few times. I probably don't know him very well, but I would think it would be the opposite. Normally, a stranger coming in is what sets a dog off and he seemed well-behaved. Even my cousin admitted his only bad habit is being a bit mouthy when you stop petting him, but I didn't really see much of that behavior from him.

I do too. I don't have much experience with the breed personally, but I have yet to see an aggressive pit bull. There is one in the shelter who does herself no favors. She's been there as long as I've been going there and then some. I honestly think she's a very insecure, very nervous dog, but not aggressive. If you walk by her kennel, she barks and growls like she's vicious, but the second you open the door she quiets down immediately. And that's the closest I've seen to an aggressive pit bull.

It would be nice, but I can't say I'm worried about him. He has enough confidence for the other two and maybe some for me as well. He definitely doesn't need to lose weight either. I'd like it if he put a little more on, actually. It would be nice if he'd stop scratching the new ottoman I got though. They seem to like it a little too much, him especially.

Ember definitely seems to like being in small spaces. And she, as well as the other two, have taught me a lot. They taught me what it is to truly understand and respect another species. I've always loved animals, but they were the ones who really made me realize what a cat is. They aren't toys or accessories and they don't fit just one stereotype. They have has many different personalities as they do appearances. They don't think like humans, but that doesn't make them any less important. If anything, it makes them even more because we need those who don't think like us to remind us that there's more than one way to think.

And that patience, of course. They teach lots and lots of that. It's hard to be mad at them. Ember in particular knows how to get what she wants. She's learned well. Tilt of the head this way, tilt that way, paw placed here, roll over there, flop down on the keyboard so all productivity comes to a halt and there's nothing to be done other than pet her. And her adorable, broken sounding meows! She makes me feel bad when I didn't even do anything!

I honestly have no clue. I was in the kitchen getting some fresh water for their water fountain when I heard spitting. I rushed into the dining room immediately and found Ash on one dining room chair (I think he was already there prior to the incident) and Ember on another. She's been getting up there more. Normally, he can get away from her simply by getting off of the ground, but now she jumps up there to start something. It was over by the time I got there and Ember jumped down. That was when I got some treats and started a training session.

Ash has a knot. It's a very bad knot at the base of his back leg. I feel terrible. I know I haven't been doing a very good job making sure to brush and feel for knots, but I'm so torn. I want to make sure he doesn't have or get any because it'll be harder if he does, but he starts making his irritated/pained meow if I mess with his hind legs for more than a few moments. I'm not sure if he's still hurting a little or if he's figured out he can get away with it, but I don't want him hurting. We're taking it slow with the knot though. It's pretty big and it's basically right where the leg meets his stomach. I don't want his legs to start bothering him. He was off of the glucosamine for a few days because we couldn't find any in the stores and had to order it. Then, of course, it took forever getting here. Tonight was his first day back on it and we'll work on the knot over the course of a couple of days. Holding him too long just makes it harder to work on it anyway.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is cool. Yes usually when a "stranger" comes a dog will be most "on alert". I am guessing you have a good vibe about you so you are probably different but it does sound like he is a good dog.

Some dogs have gone through a lot. Maybe she did. Hopefully someone with experience can adopt her and work with her. I would be nervous and stressed being in a cage for while too. :(

Well that is good. Do you think you can put a scratching post near the ottoman? I am not an expert on getting cats to stop scratching but giving them an option seems to help. I am sure their are threads on here with other good ideas as well.

A lot of cats love small spaces. Totally normal. That is one of the most insightful and wonderful words on cats and relationships I have seen. You are so wise and so correct!! I wish every human could feel what you feel and know.

YEP!! I know exactly. So true. It is amazing. Just wonderful.

You handled it well, diffusing it and turning into a positive with treats. I am guessing Ember wanted to play, jumped on the chair, Ash took it differently and he got a little defensive and it almost escalated. But you turned it from a potential negative to a positive. Well done. They have a little of a history and a little trust deficiency so they have the potential to escalate but you are doing what is needed to build trust between them. It just takes time. I have been there many times.

Awww, poor guy. It happens. Just do your best (which I know you will). It is hard to know if he is uncomfortable or if he is playing the game. Just do your best, you will get him through it.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he does seem like a very good dog. If I do take him out for walks, it'll have to be in the spring. I can't even convince myself to take Stella out for a walk. It's cold! I'd probably make myself if I had a coat for her though, but she ate one of her socks and we haven't gotten around to getting a coat.

Yeah, many of them tend to get a bit antsy being cooped up the majority of the time. I will admit I was a bit nervous around her at first too. Not because I thought she was aggressive, but because I thought she was scared. And scared can be dangerous. It would have helped if someone would have introduced us to her rather than leaving us to fend for ourselves. That's one of the very few complaints have about that shelter. After a couple of training sessions, you're on your own.

Yeah, I just did that. The probably is that it's so big they can easily go around it if they want. Plus, they scratch from different places. Frost likes getting on top of it and scratching while Ash likes using the corner of it. I put a post by the corner and a corrugated horizontal post on top, but when I get the chance to go to PetSmart, I'll get one or two more of the horizontal ones. I need it in the living room because Ash has a thing for the carpet. Not that it really helps. He just uses both.

I wish everyone could see and feel it too. Cats are really an integral part of my life. I don't know where I'd be without them. It would be great if everyone would accept the lesson they, and other animals, have to teach. I believe we could learn a lot from them if only we watched and listened.

Time I'm willing to give them. I just want them to be happy. They did cuddle for a brief period of time today which was the first in a while. Looking back, I realized I hadn't found them curled up together on my bed in a while. As if sensing my concern over their relationship, Ember went over and laid next to him. An attempt to get warm, I'm sure, but it was a relief. They seem to be getting along today. I don't think I've heard Frost hiss in a few days either.

Well, we managed to get the knot out today. I thought we'd have to work on it another day, but that didn't end up being the case. I'll try being more careful. It's just hard because I try not to stretch his leg out too much, but I guess I'm going to have to even if only for a few seconds. And maybe I'll remember to feel around every few days to ensure he's not getting any.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stella ate one of her socks? Yikes. Yeah, I think waiting until spring is fine. There isn't a rush. It is better than to have you and the dogs freeze.

Totally. It can be scary. It is hard to run a shelter, time issues etc. You should nicely and respectfully bring up your concern. Maybe they just haven't slowed down to consider it?

Wow they do like it. I wish I knew more about how to get them not to do that. You may want to post on her as I am sure there are people with great advice.

So true. I am like you, the cats have made my life better and me a better person. They are very special. I wish others could open up and benefit as well. But I know many people who have been helped by animals. I just wish everyone could.

GREAT!!!! That is terrific. I think it is more than just seeking warmth. Just wonderful. You obviously are doing things right.

Well that is great. Really good job. I am impressed as I know it is not easy to get done. Yeah, it is hard because it can happen fast and life gets in the way. But I am so glad you got it out and he is back. I am sure he is feeling better.

The knot could have been an issue in them getting along. When a cat doesn't feel right they can get a little stressed and things can happen.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, she tore it up. I wasn't here. My mom let her go out in the snow with them on and then put them on the vent to dry. She left and, while she was gone, Stella got a hold of one. I figured that would happen because she has some separation anxiety and will tear up paper or cat toys so I was careful to pick them up when she wasn't wearing them.

Yes, I think I'd rather wait until spring than us all freeze.

I'm sure they're struggling. What shelter isn't? So many animals kept in small spaces can cause a lot of problems, behavior-wise as well as health. We very rarely see more than two or three people who actually work there and just a few volunteers and the animals all seem well cared for.

I might if I continue to have a problem, but so far the scratchers seem to be working. Surprisingly. The horizontal one I put on top only covers about half the surface. I figured Frost would just go around it, but he's been scratching the scratcher. It's funny because I've never seen him scratch a horizontal surface before and now he's obsessed.

I agree completely. They're truly wonderful. I don't think I'd be who I am if I didn't have them. They might not have done anything huge to save me, but they've been my support. The ones I know I can go to when all else fails. And, as I've already said, they've taught me a lot about what it is to be patient and to be kind and to love. I'm not always the kindest or most patient person, but they help me try.

It wasn't easy with his squirming, but fortunately he's gentle. I can hold him and focus on keeping him in place without worrying about him biting or scratching. He's very strong without that though! And he has all the flexibility of a cat, of course. I'm glad it's gone too.

That makes sense. I didn't think about that. I feel bad that he was uncomfortable and I don't know how long it was like that, but if that was a major part of our issue then I'm glad it was something simple.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:( Yeah, it happens sadly. She probably thought it was a toy to play with. :(

AGREED!!! Why freeze??? Yuck.

Yes, it is very hard. Very hard to find people, balance the costs, handle all the things that need to be done. I admire them for trying though. As long as the animals are well cared for that is the main thing.

GREAT!!! That is great to hear. Let's hope it continues to work. Fingers crossed.

That is great. I think the true love they have is so special, great and powerful. I know it sure has helped me in so many ways. I am so lucky to have them. I am glad they have your love and you have theirs.

I know. You did a great job!!

We'll see if there is any behavioral improvement. It is just a theory. It happens, we don't always see mats etc. I am just glad you got rid of it now.