Status
Not open for further replies.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furosemide 20 mg twice a day is what they gave W.L for the fluid build up

and

Apo-Theophylline 100 mg for the breathing issue do to the fluid build up -the poisoning - caused. Every 12 hours - so also twice a day.

He also gave her an appetite stimulate for times when she would say "no food mom!" I can't say it worked that well though.

Maybe it will at least give you some extra time with her - without being drained every few weeks - until her quality of life becomes poor.

Worth the ask?

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

Last edited:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I mean about it being so hard.
She doesn't look sick, no 3rd eye showing, etc.. or act it too much at all.
By looking at those photos I don't think it is time yet.
Are you really sure of what you're doing? Be damn sure, there's no way back.

Everytime I had to take this so terrible decision, those kitties were looking way worse than Sammie in these pictures.
I'm asking you to be sure beyond any doubt!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Kelly, I am so sorry...

I know what you mean.. they do not look sick, do not really act sick, have some good moments; yet, the diagnosis is horrible..

I do not know if this will help, but; I did look at the biopsy report. The diagnosis is biliary carcinoma. The biliary tree is involved with the entire liver. It travels along with the veins and arteries, in the liver.

The Gall Bladder is just a huge bag of the bile; and part of the biliary system.

The carcinoma (Cancer) is in the biliary tree; yes, they call it a tree because, in the liver, it branches out as a tree does.

What what I gather, it seems as if it is at a stage where it has not completely affected her liver metabolism, as of yet..

The next step would be failing to thrive, jaundice, refusing to eat.. and weight loss with a big belly.. the belly would be all the fluid.

I do not know if this helps, at all...

I just wanted you to kind of understand what the stages of this is....
I am certain your vet will or has explained it all to you....

If the cancer was located to just the gall bladder, perhaps you could get that removed.. but if it is already involving the rest of the biliary system, by producing the extra fluid.. then it has already, invaded the liver--and grows fast... and the nasty cancer cells are in the fluid, and just floating around... waiting to grow... damn

I am sorry for telling you all of this...

While I do not know if it is "time"; I do not know what I would do in your position..

Would I want to wait a bit longer? to spend more time with her? or would that be selfish, because in waiting; she would be feeling worse...

I have been told, with my experience with Artie, that it is better to do 'it' earlier, rather than later....

I do not know about that.... I have regrets that I may have said good-by to Artie a bit too soon; however, he could not keep running to the Vets twice a week, for treatment.. It was torture to him... I could not live with myself, knowing that I made his last days a living hell... and what he had to go through, just so that "I" could spend more time with him...
and just prolonging the inevitable..

Also, I was told that if I waited until he was really suffering, then I would always be questioning myself on, 'why did I wait so long and allow him to suffer'....

There is no clear cut answer..

All our hearts are with you..

If this post is upsetting, please ask the moderators to delete it.. I do not want to risk you feeling worse, but I wanted you to have an idea of what is going on.....

sigh.. and sigh.. and so much love being sent your way...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Kelly, I am so sorry...

I know what you mean.. they do not look sick, do not really act sick, have some good moments; yet, the diagnosis is horrible..

I do not know if this will help, but; I did look at the biopsy report. The diagnosis is biliary carcinoma. The biliary tree is involved with the entire liver. It travels along with the veins and arteries, in the liver.

The Gall Bladder is just a huge bag of the bile; and part of the biliary system.

The carcinoma (Cancer) is in the biliary tree; yes, they call it a tree because, in the liver, it branches out as a tree does.

What what I gather, it seems as if it is at a stage where it has not completely affected her liver metabolism, as of yet..

The next step would be failing to thrive, jaundice, refusing to eat.. and weight loss with a big belly.. the belly would be all the fluid.

I do not know if this helps, at all...

I just wanted you to kind of understand what the stages of this is....
I am certain your vet will or has explained it all to you....

If the cancer was located to just the gall bladder, perhaps you could get that removed.. but if it is already involving the rest of the biliary system, by producing the extra fluid.. then it has already, invaded the liver--and grows fast... and the nasty cancer cells are in the fluid, and just floating around... waiting to grow... damn

I am sorry for telling you all of this...

While I do not know if it is "time"; I do not know what I would do in your position..

Would I want to wait a bit longer? to spend more time with her? or would that be selfish, because in waiting; she would be feeling worse...

I have been told, with my experience with Artie, that it is better to do 'it' earlier, rather than later....

I do not know about that.... I have regrets that I may have said good-by to Artie a bit too soon; however, he could not keep running to the Vets twice a week, for treatment.. It was torture to him... I could not live with myself, knowing that I made his last days a living hell... and what he had to go through, just so that "I" could spend more time with him...
and just prolonging the inevitable..

Also, I was told that if I waited until he was really suffering, then I would always be questioning myself on, 'why did I wait so long and allow him to suffer'....

There is no clear cut answer..

All our hearts are with you..

If this post is upsetting, please ask the moderators to delete it.. I do not want to risk you feeling worse, but I wanted you to have an idea of what is going on.....

sigh.. and sigh.. and so much love being sent your way...
No, Cindy, you are not upsetting me, it really helps. You broke in down more than I've heard.
Yes, I don't want her to suffer, & I don't want to have to take her to the vets twice a week if she's not going to have long anyway.
Right now, the cypro is helping her eat, so that's good. I think I am going to ask the vet about meds to help control the fluid. If it can, then maybe she will have a little more time. Not so much for selfish reasons, because if she was in distress I would put her peace first. But I am not "feeling" like it's time. I know what you mean Antonio65 Antonio65 .
That's why if meds can buy her a little more time, then when she does start getting to that point, then I'll know, & won't let her suffer.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I just came across this thread and read it all through. Kelly, I am at a loss for words.
I am so truly sorry that you are facing this once again. Cancer is truly evil! I have lost too many loved ones to this awful disease both human and kitties , including my beloved Mickey. Poir Sammi

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, posted too soon!
Poor Sammie! She does not deserve any of this. She finally has a happy home and is truly loved and cherished! I am in tears right now. This is so unfair! She is way too young and should have many more years to enjoy life.
My thoughts and prayers are with both you and Sammie! The latest pictures of her are amazing. She looks beautiful and not sick at all!
Like Antonio65 Antonio65 stated think long and hard before making any decisions. You can never go back!
I hope you and Sammie have much more time together , much much more!
All my love , hugs , and many prayers to you and Sammie!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Kelly,
I read that report you posted. I went to search for papers about it and ended up just balling my eyes out and just feeling so very mad at the universe right now.
Cindy explained it better than I could have.

I would definitely ask about water pills. Looking in Sammy's eyes I don't see that look of illness like my Floey had.

Floey had an aggressive tumor in her left side kidney. Within a month it grew to the size of an orange..and we were trying to get her to eay. Even with stimulants she was refusing food. So I made the choice after I saw exactly what is going on inside her via ultrasound. The vet was very kind to let me assist him. There was other stuff going on with internal issues but I know it was time for her.

Do I regret it? Nope! I was very angry! I was angry because I lost my catdog to a horrible cancer and she wasn't a good treatment cat. I was unable to pill her. Everything was done via injection. I learned alot and didn't see the change in her face until someone spoke up. I was so involved in her hour by hour that I missed the signs but once we got the ultrasound and saw the evil cancer and other issues it made making the decision easier.

Just know trust your gut. If you want to put it off dur to her eating and drinking well that's acceptable. I don't see a sick cat when I look in her eyes. Perhaps you caught it at the early stages.

Here's hoping for some more time with Sammy and that evil cancer can vamoose. I don't know why I rambled on but I want you to be damn sure this is the right thing to do.

In the past I did let one go before the illness got worse and to this day I wish i listened to the vet. I was selfish back then and all I did was cry all day and night. i couldn't handle putting it off any longer. I still cry to this day telling myself I should have waited. This decision sucks. I'm still in tears over what you will have to do when the time comes. I'm so sorry Kelly. :hugs:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Loving Mickey Loving Mickey , & foxxycat foxxycat ,
Thank you so much. Yes, it's not setting right w/ me, in my gut. She is still herself, not suffering, as long as the fluid is drained, still eating w/ only giving a 1/4 of the cypro. Still drinking her water.
Still giving me sass! Lol. "Ok, enough kisses momma!"
I am definitely going to ask the vet about meds for the fluid. If something can work, so she doesn't have to be drained so often, or at all would be nice. Then go from there.
Pain meds later if needed. Yes, I just can't do it yet, just because of a diagnosis. As long as she's still ok for now & if meds can help. Then I'm sure later when it does get more agressive, it will be apparent, & I will know it's time, & I will be at peace giving her peace. :redheartpump:
I will email my vet today. This way, if she suggests something, I can pick it up at our wedns appt & get her started after being drained.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's seemed ok earlier. Ate some of her breakfast, almost half? Meowed at grampa to put the chair up to the BK door for her to look out. Went between there & looking out the front door, & from her tree. Even scratched on her old tree post. She's been under my bed twice this morning. That's where she is now. So, not sure if she isn't feeling well, or if any pain is starting, or just wants to be left alone & knows I can't get to her under there. I've got 2 beds under there, but she's never been a bed girl, (&I have 3!) But she just lays on the carpet up against the wall. My beds on risers, so she's got sone nice room under there. I'd rather her be on the bed, on her warm blanket.
I hate that it's so hard to tell w/ kitties!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look who's back out! Was also back up in the chair at the back door before this too.
And now eating more breakfast. :thumbsup:
And back under the bed...darn!
IMG_20181118_130330757.jpg

About 20 minutes later, parents came home, said it was nice out/ warm. 64!
So opened the window up & of course she came out. :)

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Look who's back out! Was also back up in the chair at the back door before this too.
And now eating more breakfast. :thumbsup:
And back under the bed...darn!
View attachment 262773

About 20 minutes later, parents came home, said it was nice out/ warm. 64!
So opened the window up & of course she came out. :)
She looks very good. Sometimes we hover too much, uh? I know I do.

As long as she's taking an interest in life around her, it's not her time. Many living things adapt to illness. Whether 2 legged or 4 legged. I would continue doing what you are doing! She looks great!

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh , I just love the picture of sweet Sammie looking out the window , enjoying the fresh air. It is clearly not her time yet! She is still aware of her surroundings and still enjoying life. Hopefully you can get some meds to keep things under control for awhile.
Wishing Sammie many more warm window days!
Hugs and love to you both, Kelly!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I agree! Still haven't heard back from the vet yet, but know if not tonight, will be in the morning. I really pray so too. I can't take her twice a WK to be tapped. It's just too stressful for her. She'd been good considering, but meowed the whole way home yesterday. Despite the "Relax my cat" music (YouTube) for kitties going to the vet playing on my phone.
Not to mention the cost, which I wish wasn't a factor..... If they don't x-ray her Everytime, it might not be as bad, but still not great, & still would be stress on her!
She just finished up her breakfast...at 4:30.
Guess dinner will be a little later tonight. I usually try to give it to her around 5-5:30.
The cypro has been given in the evening anyway, since the first time we left the vets w/ it, it was dinner time.
She's curled up on her blanket sleeping now.

ericsmom1000

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know what furosemide is. It is also called Lasix. It is a diuretic aka water pill. I took it when I had swollen legs (edema) due to fluid build-up. It works quickly, so make sure Sammie can get to the litter box, because she will be going often. When Lasix kicks in, she will have to pee right this second -- absolutely no waiting. That was my experience with Lasix -- pills and I V. Your vet is right about the low potassium. I had to drink an orange, hideous-tasting liquid that replenished my potassium. The irony was that the Lasix left me dehydrated, so I had to have I V fluids. I had to drink water to get rid of water to flush out the Lasix, so it wouldn't damage my kidneys. I don't have problems with water retention anymore, and certainly don't miss the Lasix!

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Miki, I remember when you were on those. Thankfully, she has been pretty good about drinking her water. She's got a bowl in our room, & one in the kitchen. So hopefully she'll be ok.
I told her that if we could get them started on wedns , since we'll be there, that would be great. This way it can be kind of a "fresh start" after just being tapped. So she'll probably call them & let them know.
Then, I'm hoping she'll be ok until the following Monday. That will only be 5 days vs/ the 4, & hopping it will be ok, since she'll have started the meds. (& By then, her vet will be back!)

Status
Not open for further replies.