Sammie's Not Doing So Well..... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers are crossed that it helps and gives her some quality time until she's ready. :crossfingers: :vibes:

:grouphug2:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sounds like a plan. The pred slows down progression of tumors as well. But let's see if the water pill works. If not try thr pred. At this point nothing to lose! The pred will actually help with appetite so you may be able to drop the cypro. Glad your vet isnt pansy footing around about the meds! The sooner the better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a plan. The pred slows down progression of tumors as well. But let's see if the water pill works. If not try thr pred. At this point nothing to lose! The pred will actually help with appetite so you may be able to drop the cypro. Glad your vet isnt pansy footing around about the meds! The sooner the better!
Yes, we are doing both. Good to know about the pre & cypro. I'm hoping both will be small enough to pill at the same time. She does not like being pulled!

Things are going better than predicted, aren't they?

Maybe I lost some details, but what about a surgery to remove the bile duct or the whole gall bladder?
No, no surgery. Read artiemom's translation of the report above. She is a retired ultrasoumd tech.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Jamie was on furosemide for a couple of years due to his HCM; he went into heart failure a couple of times.

It's true that owing to the diuretic, potassium levels have to be monitored closely; Jamie ended up taking a potassium supplement to counteract the effects of the Lasix. We first noticed the potassium problem when he lost his appetite. We also had to set up more litter boxes for him, because the urge to urinate would come extremely quickly.

He was given a life expectancy of about 6 months when first diagnosed with HCM, but lasted much, much longer with a good quality of life, so there's always hope.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Jamie was on furosemide for a couple of years due to his HCM; he went into heart failure a couple of times.

It's true that owing to the diuretic, potassium levels have to be monitored closely; Jamie ended up taking a potassium supplement to counteract the effects of the Lasix. We first noticed the potassium problem when he lost his appetite. We also had to set up more litter boxes for him, because the urge to urinate would come extremely quickly.

He was given a life expectancy of about 6 months when first diagnosed with HCM, but lasted much, much longer with a good quality of life, so there's always hope.
Thank you! Yes, I picked up the meds today & they mentioned the potassium. Gave me a little of the powder to try in her food. I wanted to make sure she'd eat her food w/ it in it, before buying a container of it. Otherwise, I may try the gel, because the pill was huge. Looked like a big fat white asprin. She doesn't like to be pulled.
The lasix is 1/4 , 2xs/day, & the pred, is 1/2 once a day. So starting everything tomorrow morning. "Wish me luck!"
Yikes! I guess I'm going to have to go get another litter box tomorrow after work. I guess I'll have to put it in my room. I hate to do it, not a lot of space & when it was in here in the beginning of moving here, she'd always wake me up using it, because she paws at the edges of the box while covering....and she covers Forever!!
"Ok girlfriend, you got it!" "Good job!":rolleyes:
So now, as if I weren't tired enough...
But her box is out in the kitchen. It's not a big house, 3 bdrm, 1 & 1/2 bth, under 1300 sq ft. But don't want to take any chances.
Thanks for the info!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Gwt some empty capsules and pill popper on Amazon. An empty syringe for water. Have a chair or higher level place to put her for pilling.

I have this tree thing in the kitchen. It's a cat scratching post but looks like a tree. The top part is knee/thigh high. I put Pumps on there every morning for her pills. She is a good girl and lets me. You might need your dad to hold her while you mess with her mouth and tilt her head back. Coat the pill in butter to hide the taste.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I already have a Piller from the vets, but most of the time it's just easier to use my finger. I just tear off a piece of pill pocket to mold around the meds. Then I always have a small syringe w/ a little water in it tready to go, to help make sure it's washed down good, & not in her throat. :thumbsup:
I've sat her on the washer before. She tries to climb on me to avoid, but I get it done w/ a little love & patience. Then quick, all done! ;)
I just finished cutting all her pills!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be very careful with the potassium!
You have to be sure Sammie is lacking it before administering it in her food.
An excess of potassium in the system is way more dangerouns than a lack of potassium.
Ask your vet to give you the right dosage for Sammie's needs.

The cat that you see in my avatar was low in potassium due to a very rare disease. The supplement the vet prescribed for her (the only one supllement registered for pets) didn't work at all, so I had to find a different one, and I found a supplement for human use, but I had to adjust the dosage, so I had my cat checked every 7 days, to be sure I was on the right path.
When her potassium levels were finally alright, she was operated to fix her rare disease and the potassium was suspended.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice. She gave me a sample of the powder that I only give 1/8 of a tsp. In her food. My vet is very careful, so I'm sure she gave the right small amount to use. Taking all her test results into consideration. I will check again w/ them when I take her in tomorrow morning.
I just pilled Sammie, & it went smooth & easy. Maybe she's getting used to it. Maybe because she was also relaxed, laying on the chair, looking out the back door, watching the squrrils. I fixed her just a small portion of her food first, to see if she'd eat it w/ the potassium in it & she did! Yay!
Me holding the bowl for the little prices on her thrown of course. Lol, ....whatever it takes!
Then I wrapped 1/2 a small pill pocket around the pred & tiny 1/4 of the lasix together, to pill her once. Syringe of water ready to go.
Stood above her with her little face in my palm, looking up at me, giving her kisses, telling her, "mommy's got to give you some medicine, but then maybe you'll feel better.
Mommy do it quick, quick, then all done."
One more kiss, then, head back, pill pocket in & down, a little water in her cheek, done!
"Good girl!" She stayed there for a little longer, but just went under the bed.
Hopefully she'll come back out to finish her breakfast soon enough. I'm just happy it went well.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far, so good today. She hasn't had a cypro since 6:30 Sun. Night. Ate fine yesterday w/o it. First meds this morning. Ate pretty good a couple of times. Had about a tsp. Left when I got home, she finished that at 4:30, so dinner will be a little later now.
Besides early this morning, she didn't pee again until 3:00. So not bad for her 1st dose of lasix. I did stop & pick up another litter box for my room, in case she needs it.
We'll see how tonight goes after her 2nd dose.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may take 24 hours to kick in...but sounds like she's doing well and you guys can celebrate Thanksgiving together. :heartshape:
Yes! She's been eating the Beyond wild
(prey inspired) , grain free, (& still some F.F.
Pate's that she likes). So I have a turkey & sweet potato for Thanksgiving. :D We'll see if she eats it. She's snubbed turkey a few times, so then I wait a month or so & try again .Sometimes yes, sometimes no...
"That's kitties for you, right?"
Yesterday she had the Alaskan char & spinach, she likes that one pretty well. I also give her the phesant & sweet potato, and the duck & sweet potato. So in the f.f. I get ones the beyond doesn't have like beef & liver, she loves the chopped grill. (That's today's menu :biggrin:).
Tomorrow she has an appointment at 11:00 to be tapped if needed, so we can get through the wknd. Then I'll probably have to bring her in Monday morning, since that will be 5 days. So we'll see how the meds are starting to work then I guess.
Then, I have a hair appt tomorrow afternoon, so yay, something for me! Can't wait!

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If for tapping you mean draining, I hope the vet told you that you can't do it whenever you/they want.
After 4 or 5 times it becomes dangerous and it is prone to give the cat pleurisy.
Yes, I mean being drained. They haven't mentioned anything about that, but I will ask. Hopefully with the lasix, we won't have to much, or anymore. :crossfingers: we just got home a little while ago. They got 101.6 of fluid today, vs/ the 114 from sat. So at least it's not increasing. She is down to 8.7 lbs now. She's eating about the same amount, I thought anyway. I'm trying to get her to finish her breakfast, so think I'll go ahead and give her a cypro. She hadn't had to have one since sun. Night.
I text my vet when we got home, (since she said I could) to give her the update, since she was off. She was glad the fluid wasn't increasing, & agreed w/ me & said I could try a 1/4 or 1/8 cypro to see how she does.
Was glad to hear she was up in the window, scratching on her tree, etc..
Since Mon will be 5 days, & almost a WK on the meds, we have an appt for 5:00.

This was her x-ray from today. On her back.
Fluid is white area on right side, between the lungs & ribcage.
IMG_20181121_115034008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.