Sammie's Not Doing So Well..... :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emailed the vet for assurance. She put me at ease. Hopefully, now I'll sleep better tonight. I knew the loud purring was self soothing, but the swallowing was concerning. This was her response;

View attachment 262209
Not cats, but I had a dog get a tube once and he did swallow more noticeably "hard" for a few days after. I don't think they hurt him, but I do think it was something foreign "in there" and left a little bit of a weird feeling. He never acted painful, just a little sore.

On the fluid buildup, I'm reminded of a dog (again, dogs, LOL, sorry, but it might be helpful, at least I hope) develop chest cavity fluid (not in the lungs), and he was drained once. The fluid build up seemed to pretty much kill any appetite he had. Vet said he felt "full", and the fluid was (probably) pushing on his stomach enough for it to not feel the need to want/accept much food. On top of not eating well for a few weeks, his stomach probably shrunk. (It reminded me of the gastric by-pass surgery for humans. The stomach is now smaller and only a few ounces of food can be tolerated at once, the leptin kicks in, and you are "full.")
Did the vet talk to you any about putting him on furosemide/lasix, or a "water pill" to help keep fluid out?
I'm rooting you guys. When they don't feel good, neither do we, and every good day they have is a good day for us and when they have a bad day, so do well. :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, no she didn't want to put her on lasix because she's not in congestive heart failure. She took the opportunity to ultrasound her heart while under & is good.
Yes, fluid was also in the chest, not lungs. So until the report comes back and she knows what, then how to treat, we are waiting. They should be in by Friday.
My vet is moving on Friday, ( they bought a new house) , so that sucks, but I can email her after they call me. She told me that today, so she doesn't forget in all the moving craziness. She's the best, I love her! :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, no she didn't want to put her on lasix because she's not in congestive heart failure. She took the opportunity to ultrasound her heart while under & is good.
Yes, fluid was also in the chest, not lungs. So until the report comes back and she knows what, then how to treat, we are waiting. They should be in by Friday.
My vet is moving on Friday, ( they bought a new house) , so that sucks, but I can email her after they call me. She told me that today, so she doesn't forget in all the moving craziness. She's the best, I love her! :)
I had a vet retire on me, how dare they. ;)
The vet that took over their spot was hand picked by them and continues to be an amazing vet that we love.
Hoping the best for Friday!!:hellocomputer:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, no she didn't want to put her on lasix because she's not in congestive heart failure.
When my cat had fluids in her chest, one of the many vets who saw her prescribed her a course of cortisone and a diuretic.
None of them worked, and the diuretic also contributed to a worsening of her kidney condition!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my cat had fluids in her chest, one of the many vets who saw her prescribed her a course of cortisone and a diuretic.
None of them worked, and the diuretic also contributed to a worsening of her kidney condition!
Wow, that's interesting. Good to know. I guess we won't know anything until the pathology report comes back.

I just ordered more comfort zone refills. I made sure I had them for the move here in June.
(One for "our room", & one near her litter box)
She's been doing so well, I wasn't going to re-order anymore, but now I think it will be a good idea to have them around!

Last edited:

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night I put the "relax my cat" music from YouTube on my phone for Sammie to sleep to. She stayed on her blanket at the end of my bed all night until this morning when she got up to go use her box at 5:45.
I've been really watching her, & I'm a little worried because I see a little labored breathing, in the way of her exhale drop. It's not dramatic but noticable if you watch.
We're supposed to have the test results today. Hopefully we will then have a plan.
I will let them know when I talk to them. I hate to take her BK in after just being there Wedns. & Having some fluid drained then....
Just 2 days ago. Today is also my vets moving day, so she will get results w/ an app she has. As soon as I get results, I will be emailing her to be sure she has gotten/ checked for them. She said I could do that to remind her, since it will be a crazy day for her. .....Uhhhh, just bad timing! (& Que the anxiety!)
I have to work this morning, but only a couple of hours. My parents will be home w/ her. I got her to eat a good amount of her breakfast , so that's a good sign. (& it's been almost 24 hrs since the cypro). She's under their bed now.
I think I'm going to be in constant prayer while working. She just can't have to be drained every few days.....:(

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sammie ate a good breakfast, that's good. That is the something positive to hold on to. The fact that your parents are keeping an eye on her while you have to be gone, another positive. I agree with you, sounds like you have a very caring and conscientious vet, another positive sign. Whatever lies ahead, you and Sammie are in very good hands, knowing all this, Sammie gets the best of both worlds, excellent care and love. Hang in there, and remember, "don't assume the worst". ;)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been really watching her, & I'm a little worried because I see a little labored breathing, in the way of her exhale drop. It's not dramatic but noticable if you watch.
Have you notice this labored breathing only today?
Is it possible it was the same yesterday?

It could happen that after the draining of the fluids, a new balance has to be found in her chest. Her lungs and muscles have to work differently now than when she had the fluids in. With the fluids still in her chest she had (her lungs and muscles, actually) to find a balance to continue to work.
Now that the fluids are gone, that balance have to be re-negotiated, I hope I'm making myself clear.

After the drainings, my cat always had a couple of days of bad breathing. The only explanation that makes sense is what I described above and that was told me by a couple of vets.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks neely neely & Antonio65 Antonio65 ,
Unfortunately I got some really bad news.
My vet called me from her cell, on her moving day....told ya she was great. With the relationship we have, she said she didn't want me to hear it from anyone else.
.....it's carsanoma. Agressive. From the bile duckts. She had me call & schedule to take Sammie in, in the morning to have an x-ray to check if she needs draining again. I didn't want to get stuck over the wknd having to possibly take her to the ER.
Dr.Rockwell is only working Mon & Fri next WK, so she had me make an appt for Mon. Morning as well, in case I need it.
I am going to now have to make the call of when to let my baby girl go....:bawling2:
Her chest just keeps filling up too often, & carsanoma is agressive. I don't want her to suffer.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelly I'm so sorry about Sammie! I don't know what to say. Sending love & prayers. :(

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God!!! :(

Really isn't there anything that could be done?
The bile duct can be removed and the gall bladder can be connected directly to the duodenum.
Can't this surgery be done? :(

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my, Kelly, I know you are in shock, I am too. Just can't be. wow... Words escape me right now. Many hugs!:hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.