Feedback Purraises?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree. It was one of my first questions.

Best feature was being able to leave a sweet and funny comment when Purraising. It was so unique unlike any other forum I've ever been on.

Also, the fact that Purraises were private because - if I remember correctly - because it wasn't supposed to be a popularity contest was brilliant.

I belong to other forums, women's health, workouts, food, etc and it is just that. It becomes political, and I know that's something we don't need here. We have enough of that in the US.

I know issues are still being worked out, but privacy and respect is something lost on the web these days, and the way TCS was set up, made us do just that... respect one another.

I'm also not sure about cancelling a Purraise. If someone gives a Purraise because of something they liked in a certain thread, it's not right if they can take it away from something said in another thread. Can they go back and take away all their Purraises.

I know to some Purraises may be silly, but I took them as an incentive to do better and take great care in my answers and questions.

This is all JMO, and I know things are still being worked out. But I do agree with margd margd .

For any new members reading this, hang in there, this is a great community and I have no doubt you will find all your feline questions and answers here. We're all going through an adjustment and growing pains, and will answer your questions as soon as we find our way around. xoxoHope

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
I must say that I agree totally with denice, neely, 2cats4everloved, and many others about the purraises being kept private.
Many members may see that certain members are receiving alot more purraises than other members, and they may wonder why. It will become a popularity thing.
Some members may feel that their posts or comments are not as important as others, which is totally untrue.
I, for one, appreciate any member that takes the time to not only read a member's thread, but to offer their help or condolences to a certain member.
Each member should feel like they are valued on this site.
It should never be based on purraises or certain awards.
All those things should be kept private from other members.
At least, that is my honest opinion.
I know some others may feel differently, and I respect their opinions as well!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I have another question about purraise. Is there any way to see to see the purraise that we've given? That will become especially useful if we get back the ability to leave short notes.

And an observation: This may just be me but I would prefer that once purraise is given, it not be possible to cancel it. I did like the old way (I'm sorry - you must be so sick of hearing that) where you could cancel purraise before finalizing it.

All this talk about purraise boils down to one thing: we had the perfect purraise system before and if there is any way to get it back, I know I not the only one who would be delighted.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
:( I miss that a lot. I gave purraise to one of your posts because...... baby Abby... sooo cute!! :p
Awwwww. Thanks! This signature was from before we moved to the old platform in November of 2011. My girl is getting old.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Personally I prefer the private purraise method too. However, the standard for forums software has changed over the past few years and at this point we just don't have the option to keep the purraise score private.

I think we'll have to learn to live with that particular setup and make the best of it. It works well for many other communities so I think we can be mature enough and handle that accordingly. We did make a point of retaining the terminology we like to use here, including the word "purraise" and the heart icon instead of the default thumbs-up. Hopefully, it'll be a constant reminder for all members to use the system in a positive way.

You can still see your purraise in one central place. If you hover over your avatar in the top right corner, one of the options is to see your purraise -
Capture.JPG

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally I prefer the private purraise method too. However, the standard for forums software has changed over the past few years and at this point we just don't have the option to keep the purraise score private.

I think we'll have to learn to live with that particular setup and make the best of it. It works well for many other communities so I think we can be mature enough and handle that accordingly. We did make a point of retaining the terminology we like to use here, including the word "purraise" and the heart icon instead of the default thumbs-up. Hopefully, it'll be a constant reminder for all members to use the system in a positive way.

You can still see your purraise in one central place. If you hover over your avatar in the top right corner, one of the options is to see your purraise -
View attachment 176081
This is very true and while I do see why purraise can be better kept private for the reasons mentioned, on the flip side, it's nice to see that fellow members are getting the appreciation they deserve. :)

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that I've lost at least 13 purraises since the new format - I was up to 560 last I saw and remember, now it's 537. I too hate that it'll now seem like it's about competition. Personally I will keep reminding myself my opinion is still valid and important no matter what my total is.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I noticed that I've lost at least 13 purraises since the new format - I was up to 560 last I saw and remember, now it's 537. I too hate that it'll now seem like it's about competition. Personally I will keep reminding myself my opinion is still valid and important no matter what my total is.
I noticed that mine is a little off too. Others have noticed that too. I think that they tried to migrate things over as closely as possible but things happen.

Yes- you are correct. Your opinion is valid and important and your input and assistance is appreciated by many. :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Anne Anne is there any way we can add little notes to our purraises?
We can always start a conversation with the member (aka send a private message). For what it's worth, the old method had its drawbacks too. You could never reply to whoever gave you purraise and reply to their note. I know many people have tried because I was on the receiving end of the reply emails. It might be easier now that everyone knows they have to start a conversation if they want to convey something beyond the "heart".

Will we have it in the future? Well, I did look into it when we planned the migration and there is no ready-made add-on which supports that, not even a paid one. As @huddlersteph mentioned, we collect all of the feedback here and may invest in a custom-made add-on in the future. It's good to know what our members want so keep the feedback coming and thank you!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ginny ginny

I think Purraises look slightly off is because the Unique Purraise actually Added to the total number.

I think I was up to 790 Purraises with the combined Purraise and Unique Purraises but my true total is what shows.

I'm sure one of the Mods can verify, but I do think that is the change most are seeing.

Hope this helps.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
We can always start a conversation with the member (aka send a private message). For what it's worth, the old method had its drawbacks too. You could never reply to whoever gave you purraise and reply to their note. I know many people have tried because I was on the receiving end of the reply emails. It might be easier now that everyone knows they have to start a conversation if they want to convey something beyond the "heart".

Will we have it in the future? Well, I did look into it when we planned the migration and there is no ready-made add-on which supports that, not even a paid one. As @huddlersteph mentioned, we collect all of the feedback here and may invest in a custom-made add-on in the future. It's good to know what our members want so keep the feedback coming and thank you!

Thanks, Anne. It's nice to know that at least it might be under consideration some day. :cool:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am appreciating all the input here on Purraise, as it's good to know others might feel as I do. Good to have Anne's input too!

I know in many forum software set-ups, it is possible to just disable the "Like" feature altogether. I'd guess that's the same for this site's new forum software?

So, I suppose if it becomes obvious that Purraise in the future is becoming a popularity contest and not simply Purraise being given on the good content of actual messages, one could just disable the "Like" option site-wide.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks margd, I was at work all day but I did look around some when I got a moment.

It looks very nice, Anne Anne !

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say, as nice as the new platform is, I still kinda miss the old one. For one, I miss the "cat" designations based on number of posts (newbie, kitten....top cat). And just so you know, when I first got my iPhone several years ago, I HATED it for the first 3 days and wanted my flippy pushbutton phone back. I couldn't even answer a phone call, lol. No I'm not very technical-minded. But now I love it, but I do miss my buttons.

A bit off topic but does apply to posting messages here too. How do I turn off that evil, sneaky, sometimes helpful auto-correct?

I need to find out how to change this on my phone too. Once I got a text from my employer as I was driving and couldn't answer right away. So I waited until there was a clear spot on the road and texted "driving", so they'd know why I couldn't answer immediately. Well, auto-correct changed "driving" to "DRINKING"!!!! (emphasis mine) <SIGH>

So then I HAD to call the office right away and explain, lol. I'm not even a drinker anyway.