Feedback Purraises?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A bit off topic but does apply to posting messages here too. How do I turn off that evil, sneaky, sometimes helpful auto-correct?
Which browser are you using? If it's Firefox, click "Tools" at the top, choose "Options" in the dropdown menu, then "Advanced" in the menu along the left, and from there you can untoggle "Check my spelling as I type" (also "Search for text when I start typing").

For Chrome, you want to click on the three little dots at the upper right, choose "Settings" in the dropdown menu, then "Show advanced settings" at the very bottom. Under Privacy, you can untoggle "Use a web service to help reserve spelling errors".

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Safari. So I just clicked on Edit, didn't see a tools column. That did it! Thanks! Now for my cell phone. Should be similar.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use Facebook, or any other social networking site, because the whole sycophantic "like" thing weirds me out. I was ever so happy when I found the catsite, private purraise, and the ability to add a wee note as to why you're giving purrasie. I'm not sure I can get my head around this change. I'm deeply saddened. I was really enjoying myself, getting to know everyone, and offering up well-thought-out advice with no regard to reward. I still have a need to help people and their cats though, I can't turn that off. But now I feel too self-conscious - it's not a state of mind that is good for me. And, the thought of cancelling purraise is just too much for me to handle.

Sad. :disappointed:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean, brian007. I don't use Facebook or Twitter either. Maybe the old forum format was with a forum hosting service that was either discontinued, or else updated to join up with all the social media environment that surrounds us. Now all the messages can be "shared socially" by those who wish to click the relevant button. The best thing you can do is hang on to the spirit of the Purraise that I'm sure many hope to continue here, and try not to fall into the trap of "Liking" things out of peer pressure. But yes, the WWW puts everyone under a self-conscious microscope, if you think about it. All of our comments were in public view on the internet on the last site as well -- it's just that now, it seems this forum is more social-media-focused.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But yes, the WWW puts everyone under a self-conscious microscope, if you think about it. All of our comments were in public view on the internet on the last site as well -- it's just that now, it seems this forum is more social-media-focused.
Thanks for that comment; I wondered if I was alone in thinking that the site now seemed oriented specifically for phone users hence the (much) younger crowd, both visually and in its actions; it does indeed seem that way. "Dinosaur-unfriendly," was the way another member described it this morning privately.

eBay's Community Forums experienced this over the last three years, morphing from a welcoming site into a stripped-down, nearly text-only format. The last change - to full SmartPhone mode - carried with it similar difficulties as were experienced here - a loss of posts (which TCS has already managed to remedy) and a loss of "kudows" - here "purraises" - which sparked the mass exodus to FaceBook. The eBay Community has dropped of nearly 90% in the number of daily posts over 36 months (source: Alexa and eBay's own public counters). Let's hope that we don't see an exodus of older members here - the knowledge gleaned over 30, 40 or 50 years of caring for kitties doesn't rest with 20 year olds.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Wondering if we could just delete the options of sharing the page on FaceBook or Twitter.

I am a user of FB but not Twitter. It seems kind of invasive for anyone to post on FB and T...

What I want to say, I want to say here, and not on the Web or Twit Zone to everyone...

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Please don't feel pressured by the purraise Brian007 Brian007 People get purraise for all kinds of things, like cute kitten pictures and participation in games. The score doesn't mean much about how much people appreciate you or your content. As far as I'm concerned, it's a lot like the post count. Above all, I see it as another indication of the number of posts and the time a member has spent on the site.

Also, if anyone has any other questions about things that don't relate to purraise, please start new threads about the so we don't lose track of requests. Thank you!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not so much pressure, I don't succumb to peer pressure at all, quite the opposite, I run away and hide instead. It's just the general freaky weirdness but time tempers all. I think I'll lead from the front (canon fodder) that way I wont see what's occurring behind me. Out of sight, out of mind, hey. Best foot forward. I'll at least try.
Thank you writing to me personally, it means a great deal. :thanks:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use Facebook, or any other social networking site, because the whole sycophantic "like" thing weirds me out. I was ever so happy when I found the catsite, private purraise, and the ability to add a wee note as to why you're giving purrasie. I'm not sure I can get my head around this change. I'm deeply saddened. I was really enjoying myself, getting to know everyone, and offering up well-thought-out advice with no regard to reward. I still have a need to help people and their cats though, I can't turn that off. But now I feel too self-conscious - it's not a state of mind that is good for me. And, the thought of cancelling purraise is just too much for me to handle.

Sad. :disappointed:
I agree. I think I have social anxiety so no matter how hard I try to ignore the purraise count, it'll still bother me. Hence why I quit social media sites. I just started spending less and less time until I quit. Hope that doesn't happen here.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for that comment; I wondered if I was alone in thinking that the site now seemed oriented specifically for phone users hence the (much) younger crowd, both visually and in its actions; it does indeed seem that way. "Dinosaur-unfriendly," was the way another member described it this morning privately.
The percentage of people accessing TCS and other sites via smartphone or tablet has been skyrocketing. A lot of that has to do with the tremendous increase in their capabilities. It's not just young people, either. I know a lot of fellow Baby Boomers who've dispensed with desktop or laptop computers altogether. I find myself using my tablet almost as much as the laptop due to the convenience, when I can wrestle it away from Mogli, who's addicted to cat games and considers it his tablet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The percentage of people accessing TCS and other sites via smartphone or tablet has been skyrocketing. A lot of that has to do with the tremendous increase in their capabilities. It's not just young people, either. I know a lot of fellow Baby Boomers who've dispensed with desktop or laptop computers altogether. I find myself using my tablet almost as much as the laptop due to the convenience, when I can wrestle it away from Mogli, who's addicted to cat games and considers it his tablet.
I am 61 and am going to try a tablet. I have an appointment next week to get the wifi router installed, it only adds 4.95 a month to my bill. I am going to go shopping for a tablet today. The screen on my smartphone is too small to use at least for me. The tablet I am looking at has a 10 inch screen and is supposed to go 13 hours on a charge. That's small enough for my purse but large enough for my older eyes. I am supposed to still have a hard wired connection. I need that for my work equipment. The equipment from work doesn't even have a hard drive it just connects to the work server over the internet. I think it would be nice not to be tethered to a hard wire connection even at home.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am 61 and am going to try a tablet. I have an appointment next week to get the wifi router installed, it only adds 4.95 a month to my bill. I am going to go shopping for a tablet today. The screen on my smartphone is too small to use at least for me. The tablet I am looking at has a 10 inch screen and is supposed to go 13 hours on a charge. That's small enough for my purse but large enough for my older eyes. I am supposed to still have a hard wired connection. I need that for my work equipment. The equipment from work doesn't even have a hard drive it just connects to the work server over the internet. I think it would be nice not to be tethered to a hard wire connection even at home.
You are going to love it. I never realized how much I would love mine. My husband never wanted a tablet, but was toying with developing some apps so got a refurbished iPad. He uses it almost exclusively now and doesn't know how he ever lived without it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They had the one I was looking at online, it's charging now. He said they have a class at 1:00 this afternoon but it's an Android which is what my phone is. That system is really easy and straightforward. I didn't have any issues getting it started. I don't have wifi at home yet so there were parts I had to skip.

They didn't have any of the cheap off-brand covers that would fit but I got one anyway. I had to pay a premium price for that. There are so many places that have free wifi now I may be carrying this in my purse a lot so I wanted the cover for it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't wait until Tuesday. I went up to McDonald's because they have free wifi now. I am going to like it. It had an adjustment for the brightness right on the initial pull down settings display. It came with the same 30 second blackout on the screen as my phone has. It was easy to find the adjustment for that and change it. I never bothered looking on my phone to change it. The screen on my phone was just too small for me to use much for the internet.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You're going to be asking yourself how you've managed to live without one. There are all sorts of cat games in the Playstore, but I'd recommend getting a screen protector before showing them to any felines!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Those replies were in response to a complaint about sites being made mobile-friendly, so only slightly off topic. Sorry.

And now back to our regular programming: purraise!