Pregnant Mama

How many babies do you think are in there?

• 4 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. So I went to pet mama this morning, and she has this hard lump (I’m assuming it’s a baby) on the side of her belly. And she doesn’t want me to touch it (understandble) but should I be worried that it’s so pronounced on the side of her?

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would keep an eye on it and on her and see how it goes. If she seems in pain or it somehow seems to worsen, I'd want to take her back to the vet. But it may just be a baby poking out and she may just be grouchy and uncomfortable lol. Maybe the lump will move:)

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great, thank you. Will update you later!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does trying to cover her food with a blanket count as nesting?

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that behavior would signify trying to "protect her food from predators or other animals". I have seen feral cats try to cover the food which they did not finish with grass, leaves, dirt with their paws when they are finished so as to make the food bowl look invisible to other animals or cats and will come back at a later time to finish. Strictly an instinctual move that has nothing to do with "nesting".

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I’m having trouble with my pregnant foster cat. I got her two weeks ago on Thursday. When I received her from my local shelter, they told me that she could give birth any day now. When I first got her, I could clearly see kittens moving a lot, her nipples had lost hair all around them, and she was producing milk. I do not know if her appetite was more than usual since I had just gotten her. Well two weeks later still no kittens! I’m just wondering if I should be worried. She’s very large.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add this is not her first litter, her past owners told the shelter that

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have too much experience but I have some thoughts. Is she isn't acting like she is in distress at all? Maybe she just isn't as far along as they thought. A cats gestation period can be up to around 70 days, so maybe they aren't ready yet. The fact that she was producing milk and it's been two weeks does seems like something is wrong though. Was an ultrasound or x-rays done or anything? Do you still see kittens moving around? Can you call the vet or take her in to get looked at, or at least call the shelter if you need their approve for vet care? If the kittens get too big she wont physically be able to give birth to them without a c-section.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! Update on Mama. I think she will be having babies within the next 24 hours. She has discharge coming from her. She has been walking around meowing all day, going into the closet and her other spots. She was actually nesting today, which she never does. And she was just laying on the floor, and her arms and legs would shake, while her body would tense up. I’m guessing they are the start of contractions.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have too much experience but I have some thoughts. Is she isn't acting like she is in distress at all? Maybe she just isn't as far along as they thought. A cats gestation period can be up to around 70 days, so maybe they aren't ready yet. The fact that she was producing milk and it's been two weeks does seems like something is wrong though. Was an ultrasound or x-rays done or anything? Do you still see kittens moving around? Can you call the vet or take her in to get looked at, or at least call the shelter if you need their approve for vet care? If the kittens get too big she wont physically be able to give birth to them without a c-section.
I definitely feel the babies moving around still. An X-ray wasn’t done. As I’m typing this I believe she may by close lol. She started pawing a bit at her bedding and I checked down there looks a bit swollen compared to a few days ago. I’m going to send a picture of what she looks like

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
When you can first see/feel the kittens moving, it means that seems roughly two weeks away from delivery. So she should be getting close. Unless the shelter knew exactly when she mated, it can be difficult to pinpoint an exact date. Also, do you know if she has any Siamese ancestry? Siamese cats have a longer average gestation period than the average cat.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you can first see/feel the kittens moving, it means that seems roughly two weeks away from delivery. So she should be getting close. Unless the shelter knew exactly when she mated, it can be difficult to pinpoint an exact date. Also, do you know if she has any Siamese ancestry? Siamese cats have a longer average gestation period than the average cat.
I don’t think she has any Siamese ancestry. I believe she’s in labor at the moment, I’ll update you in a few hours to see if there she actually is

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I don’t think she has any Siamese ancestry. I believe she’s in labor at the moment, I’ll update you in a few hours to see if there she actually is
Perfect timing! Most cat births go on without any problems, but if you have any questions, you know where to find us. :)

Do you have a nesting box, and some clean, dry towels ready to go?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Here are some helpful articles to refer to, regarding what to expect during the delivery, and some problems that, hopefully you won’t encounter, but are better to know what to do, just in case:

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No babies yet ;) slowly but surely!!! She’s gettin there.

kittycat1004j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Perfect timing! Most cat births go on without any problems, but if you have any questions, you know where to find us. :)

Do you have a nesting box, and some clean, dry towels ready to go?

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

Here are some helpful articles to refer to, regarding what to expect during the delivery, and some problems that, hopefully you won’t encounter, but are better to know what to do, just in case:

Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!
Hi! Yes I do :) this is my third pregnant foster mom. As of right now still not kittens but she has been nesting all day today and seems a bit uncomfortable

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Yes I do :) this is my third pregnant foster mom. As of right now still not kittens but she has been nesting all day today and seems a bit uncomfortable
Sounds like she’s getting closer! Please do continue to keep us updated! :)

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mama has been in the closet all day. No signs of contractions or anything. Just a lot of nesting. She seems a little uncomfortable, but I can’t visibly see anything wrong. Let’s hope overnight!!

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a question. She is laying on the bed with me, and all of sudden I heard this gushing noise. Over and over. I at first thought she vagina was gushing something, that’s how loud it was. I came to realize it is her stomach!! What is going on in there?