Pregnant Mama

How many babies do you think are in there?

• 4 or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 or more

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s a video, you can here it clear as day

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2B921564-E624-462F-BECD-DCF18C516BC0.jpeg
Six babies later!! Mama did amazing! She ate all her placentas and cleaned the babies nicely. The last two she was having a hard time with cleaning, but I helped her out. She ate half a can of soft food in between. Two black, and four gray. I somehow got them all on a nipple, occasionally switching them out for the bottom ones. She has 10 nipples, so luck is on our side with that. Will update you all soon with more pictures and questions.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They’re cute! I’m glad all went well! :heartshape:

Mom will have her paws full with those six little ones! ;)

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How do I know if Mama is producing enough milk? I just weighed them, they range from 97g-131g. I have the runt on the lower nipple. Should I be weighing them like every 6 hours to make sure they are gaining weight?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Every 12 hours is more than enough. Runts 91 g is good so its not any emergency unlesd you notice anything worrying.

Still with 6 you perhaps will need to rotate them.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
7C4A31A7-9184-466D-A5BF-73627D2DDBD3.jpeg
9234A84E-20CD-42DB-903E-893563F1E960.jpeg
So the babies are doing well! They are gaining weight, and mom is taking amazing care of them. She is very protective of them (which is of course good) I try to handle them only once a day, when I have to weigh them. Even then, she gets up whenever they meow, trying to take them away from me. She had 4 boys and 2 girls. We named the girls Lizzie and Josie, but the boys don’t have names yet. We have rescued and named well over 100 cats and kittens, so it’ll take a little while to come up with some :wink:

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the babies eyes are finally open! I noticed that one of the babies third eyelids is already showing? I’ve never noticed that with other newborns. Should I be worried?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Potentially yes. Third eyelid often come forward if there is some infection in the body. Sometimes "just" worms.

Prob not much to do at this moment but monitor this kitten.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I need some help with something. The babies turned 3 weeks old yesterday, they are really active, and playing with eachother. But mama has been trying to move them?? She’s trying to move them behind my nightstand, and the problem is, they are walking, so they aren’t even staying with her; they are walking all the way across the room. They have been in the same pen since they were born, I don’t understand why she’s moving them all of a sudden? And I know she’s gonna be more stressed out with them in this new spot, cause they are just leaving the area she’s bringing them to.

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s also become very aggressive when we try to move them (or even the nightstand) back. She lunges at us and tries to bite and stratch us. But I must move them back because my room hasn’t been baby proofed for kittens yet.

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So a couple thoughts on this. Usually the reason for moving them is that something is stressing her out, she is perceiving that there is some danger or stressors that she needs to get them away from and/or hide them from. Other animals or children, high traffic or noisy areas, a nest that is not clean enough for her liking, etc. And yeah, unfortunately mamas can be super aggressive, especially if she thinks there is danger. The one time when I got attacked by my mama was like the day after I started letting them explore the house. A possible solution, if possible, is to keep them contained in a room so you know where they are or where they can only go so far. My mama cat and her kittens were in the bathroom for the first 5 or 6 weeks after the kittens were born, and she seemed quite content. She really didn't move them much at all. The only time she did was after we had some squeal-ly visitors...and she moved them from their box to a blanket lol. So I would also say that limiting visits and contact might also help. It's also instinctive, some cats just seem to move their babies a lot. But it sounds to me like she is stressing about something. What do you think?

samanthalogan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply! The only thing I can think of is us having contact with them. She is contained in the bedroom, with no other animals. She has light music playing all the time. I was thinking of expanding the pen for the babies to get more exercise. They want out so badly lol. I will leave them alone as much as possible, just visually checking up on them. She hasn’t moved them since this afternoon, and she seems to have calmed down. She loves her babies, she is one of them best moms I have ever had. I know she’s just trying to protect them but man those scratches hurt lol

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she is stressed by the babies starting to wander. Expanding a safe area for them sounds like it should help. Good luck!!