Pregnant cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
C Caitlin375

Is there any chance that this kitten aspirated milk into its lungs? Do you hear him struggling to breathe or a crackling sound? If so, he has pneumonia and that requires antibiotics pronto. Is this Baby Yellow?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess there isn’t much you can do other than put honey on his gums for quick energy. You could try 1mL of unflavored pedialyte to see if he will take it. Otherwise it’s a wait and see situation. Some kittens simply do not thrive for genetic reasons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess there isn’t much you can do other than put honey on his gums for quick energy. You could try 1mL of unflavored pedialyte to see if he will take it. Otherwise it’s a wait and see situation. Some kittens simply do not thrive for genetic reasons.
The vet has agreed to see him just incase. £185 consult because it’s an emergency vet. I chewed their ear off about it. Fingers crossed for the little lamb.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They said prognosis is poor and that they can’t hospitalise him because it’s in his best interests to be at home with his mum as they believe that’s his best chance of survival. They said they can’t hear a crackle on his lungs so they don’t believe it’s aspiration pneumonia and that he’s underweight (which I knew as he was born very small) they’re going to give him fluids but don’t really believe that he’s dehydrated. They said keep attempting to offer him food but other than that it doesn’t look good. So it seems like it’s just a case of fading kitten syndrome and we’ll probably lose him unfortunately.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They said prognosis is poor and that they can’t hospitalise him because it’s in his best interests to be at home with his mum as they believe that’s his best chance of survival. They said they can’t hear a crackle on his lungs so they don’t believe it’s aspiration pneumonia and that he’s underweight (which I knew as he was born very small) they’re going to give him fluids but don’t really believe that he’s dehydrated. They said keep attempting to offer him food but other than that it doesn’t look good. So it seems like it’s just a case of fading kitten syndrome and we’ll probably lose him unfortunately.
Meant to add, yes it baby yellow. They also said his heart rate was 150 and they would expect it to be around 200 as a minimum.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just another super quick update. They looked again and saw his blood sugars were low so are giving him glucogel and antibiotics just incase as they said it’s difficult to hear a crackle sometimes in such a small kitten. They’re going to feed him and send him home but prognosis is still poor.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him a few drops of milk and honey/Karo/glucogel every 15 minutes for a while, sometimes this peps them up bekeeping their blood sugar steady. Also ask the vet about tube feeding. It's true that sometimes there's nothing you can do, but it's still worth it to try.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Give him a few drops of milk and honey/Karo/glucogel every 15 minutes for a while, sometimes this peps them up bekeeping their blood sugar steady. Also ask the vet about tube feeding. It's true that sometimes there's nothing you can do, but it's still worth it to try.
He’s come back from the vet even more lethargic. I’m not sure if this is just a side effect from the antibiotic or he’s just ready to pass. I’m absolutely gutted.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m so sorry! You did absolutely everything you could by getting him emergency care - fluids, glucose, and antibiotics. You did your absolute best.

Know that he is out of any pain and over the Rainbow Bridge now. You’d been worried for him from the start. I understand you are gutted, but sometimes there is absolutely no rhyme or reason for a baby to die except for fading kitten syndrome, which we do not understsnd.

As difficult as it may be, let’s focus on the remaining three healthy babies for now. They seem to be doing well, and we are here for you.

Again, my deepest condolences. RIP little one! :angel: :rbheart:

The most love right now to you, Mama, and her other 3 babies! :catlove:

C Caitlin375

Last edited:

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry! You did absolutely everything you could by getting him emergency care - fluids, glucose, and antibiotics. You did your absolute best.

Know that he is out of any pain and over the Rainbow Bridge now. You’d been worried for him from the start. I understand you are gutted, but sometimes there is absolutely no rhyme or reason for a baby to die except for fadig kitten syndrome, which we do not understsnd.

As difficult as it may be, let’s focus on the remaining three healthy babies for now. They seem to be doing well, and we are here for you.

Again, my deepest condolences. RIP little one! :angel: :rbheart:

The most love right now to you, Mama, and her other 3 babies! :catlove:

C Caitlin375
Thanks, this really helped as I was just wondering if my taking him to the vet and all the stuff he was given made him worse somehow. I just really wanted him to make it so much. Mum was by his side licking him and trying to bring him round. Will she understand he’s gone and not look for him?

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohhh, I am so sorry. I was so hoping for the best. You did your best, and he just couldn't make it. I am so, so, very sorry.
Thank you I’m really sad but really happy the others are thriving. This is why she will be spayed as soon as they leave. I’ve never had kittens before and much as I love them I never will again, it’s too heartbreaking. At least he isn’t suffering now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If possible, leave him with mom until she understands he is gone. Otherwise, remove him and she will stop looking / grieving for him in a day or two. It is sad but it is Mother Nature’s way of providing for the fittest.

Mom is to be spayed at 8 weeks, no earlier, even if she goes into heat again. Just don’t let her out.

Enjoy her babies - you may decide to keep her favorite and adopt out the other two as a bonded pair. Too early to make these decisions right now. Get yourself a good night of sleep and report in tomorrow.

I’ve seen litters of 9 kittens all survive, and just recently, whole litters of 5 or 6 all perish from panleukopenia. One never knows. We go day by day. This is an emotional business!

:vibes:Blessings on you tonight! Rest and grieve. We shall continue tomorrow! 💕

ETA: Kittens need to stay with mom 10-12 weeks.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If possible, leave him with mom until she understands he is gone. Otherwise, remove him and she will stop looking / grieving for him in a day or two. It is sad but it is Mother Nature’s way of providing for the fittest.

Mom is to be spayed at 8 weeks, no earlier, even if she goes into heat again. Just don’t let her out.

Enjoy her babies - you may decide to keep her favorite and adopt out the other two as a bonded pair. Too early to make these decisions right now. Get yourself a good night of sleep and report in tomorrow.

I’ve seen litters of 9 kittens all survive, and just recently, whole litters of 5 or 6 all perish from panleukopenia. One never knows. We go day by day. This is an emotional business!

:vibes:Blessings on you tonight! Rest and grieve. We shall continue tomorrow! 💕

ETA: Kittens need to stay with mom 10-12 weeks.
I tried but she wasn’t concentrating on the other babies just him and she eventually she just stopped trying and left him so I took him out then.

I’ve taken them upstairs where it’sthe warmest for when she does leave the nest. She seems happy enough with the move. I allowed them to feed solely off mum last night as I was with the little one and up at the vets etc.

12 hour weight showed a loss in the biggest kitten. I’m really at a loss here. The vet wants to see them all.

Baby blue 105g - 100g
Baby orange 92g - 96g
Baby red 92g -

She’s booked to be spayed in 3 months.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried different scales as they kept jumping and it’s actually.

baby blue 105- 103g
Baby orange 92 - 96g
Baby Red 92 - 98g

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My own vet wanted a follow up check after the little one died. Took them in and he checked them fully over. Said none look particularly small, all heart rates are fine, suckling reflex is good. They said willow has some bloody discharge but he thinks it’s probably normal and to just keep an eye, producing lots of milk and certainly enough to feed 3, said her heart and temperature are normal etc and to continue to encourage the babies to feed from mum and latch them if necessary but supplement if I really need to.