Pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There’s 3 now. She doesn’t seem to be feeding them at all. She did clean them but that’s all so far.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I
That's wonderful! Turn them around so they can latch onto a nipple. Mom doesn't help them do that - they have to do it on their own, so face them at a nipple. They will root around and grab it.
I have but nothing is happening. I called the vet and they said squeeze the nipple but nothing is coming out

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens normally root for nipples. Are they nursing yet? If not, put a bit of honey on their gums, put them to nipples, and begin hand feeding them one by one with formula and a syringe. Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Are they fully furred? How much do they weigh?

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There’s nothing coming put
Push on the breast itself a little, then the nipple. That's what kittens do. You won't get milk, just a watery yellow fluid. If they don't latch on in a few hours, feed them with some KMR.
Theres nothing coming out and under her nipples are rock solid. I am trying to feed. The milk box doesn’t state how much to feed at all per feed, it just tells me how much per day

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens normally root for nipples. Are they nursing yet? If not, put a bit of honey on their gums, put them to nipples, and begin hand feeding them one by one with formula and a syringe. Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Are they fully furred? How much do they weigh?
85g
73g
80g
90g

yes they’re fully furred

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I need their weights and I’ll tell you how much to give. Start with 1-2mLs per kitten every 1-2 hours.

Apply a warm damp compress to mom’s mammaries to soften and CALL the vet. She may need either oxytocin to stimulate milk production or an antibiotic to treat possible blocked ducts. She may need to be seen.

Until the kittens can nurse her they will need feeding every 1-2 hours around the clock including through the night or you may lose them.

Depending on their weights they’ll need anywhere from 24mLs to 32mLs each 24-hour period. If you feed every 2 hours (and they are too young to go longer than that right now), at 3 ounces weight a kitten would need the 24mLs given every two hours which comes to 12 feedings of 2mLs each 24 hours. A bigger kitten can have more but do not force feed.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow - they are tiny, but all but one weigh about 3 ounces, so follow my above example except for the smallest may take 1.5mL at first.

I hope they feed well for you. Please keep me posted and call the vet.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need their weights and I’ll tell you how much to give. Start with 1-2mLs per kitten every 1-2 hours.

Apply a warm damp compress to mom’s mammaries to soften and CALL the vet. She may need either oxytocin to stimulate milk production or an antibiotic to treat possible blocked ducts. She may need to be seen.

Until the kittens can nurse her they will need feeding every 1-2 hours around the clock including through the night or you may lose them.

Depending on their weights they’ll need anywhere from 24mLs to 32mLs each 24-hour period. If tou feed every 2 hours (and they are too young to go longer than that right now), at 3 ounces weight a kitten would need the 24mLs given every two hours which comes to 12 feedings of 2mLs each 24 hours. A bigger kitten can have more but do not force feed.
I called the vet they told me to give KMR
Wow - they are tiny, but all but one weigh about 3 ounces, so follow my above example except for the smallest may take 1.5mL at first.

I hope they feed well for you. Please keep me posted and call the vet.
They’re very small. I have called the vet who have just been useless. They told me they’re an emergency only service and to hand feed and take my cat to my own vet in the morning

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ugh. Sorry they weren’t helpful.

It’s possible they are getting colustrum. Milk follows in about 24 hours, so they need to suckle but keep feeding them until mom sees the vet. You’ll have a sleepless night. And take the kittens with mom to the vet tomorrow. But let me know after you’ve fed each kitten how they did.

Last edited:

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They
3rd of 3 recent posts:

Ugh. Sorry they weren’t helpful.

It’s possible they are getting colustrum. Milk follows in about 24 hours, so they need to suckle but keep feeding them until mom sees the vet. You’ll have a sleepless night. And take the kittens with mom to the vet tomorrow. But let me know after you’ve fed each kitten how they did.
The vet said try a compress but she’s getting annoyed when I touch her, she just growled at me and now she’s wandering around pacing and crying so I’m wondering if she’s not done yet?

she’s left the kittens in the nest. They have just had a feed one was hungry the others tried to fight it but did get them to take some.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds like she’s either not done yet or her milk is blocked and she’s in pain. Do you have a vet to go to tomorrow morning?

Will she lie down and let the kittens nurse?

Keep up with the time and keep feeding the kittens. It’s very important. We’ll know more tomorrow.

Wrap the kittens like a burrito in a towel if need be with only their heads out to feed. Always upright or on tummy. Never on the back. Feed from the side of their mouth for now. Give them time to swallow, breathe, and then give a couple more drops. Tedious, but slow and safe!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she’s either not done yet or her milk is blocked and she’s in pain. Do you have a vet to go to tomorrow morning?

Will she lie down and let the kittens nurse?

Keep up with the time and keep feeding the kittens. It’s very important. We’ll know more tomorrow.

Wrap the kittens like a burrito in a towel if need be with only their heads out to feed. Always upright or on tummy. Never on the back. Feed from the side of their mouth for now. Give them time to swallow, breathe, and then give a couple more drops. Tedious, but slow and safe!
she is trying to let them feed but they seem unable to. They’re fighting against feeds and when they cry she get get extremely anxious and starts pacing around me and getting annoyed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, you must syringe feed them, so take them in another room where mom can’t hear them. Then put them back. I can guarantee you that if they are getting nothing from mom and get nothing from you they will not make it. You are in charge of the feedings, not the kittens. Wrap them, hold their heads still gently, and get the milk in them a couple drops at a time.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, you must syringe feed them, so take them in another room where mom can’t hear them. Then put them back. I can guarantee you that if they are getting nothing from mom and get nothing from you they will not make it. You are in charge of the feedings, not the kittens. Wrap them, hold their heads still gently, and get the milk in them a couple drops at a time.
thanks, they’ve just had feed number 3. Still ok and mum was ok, a little anxious but no more growling and likes when I put the babies back. Giving them what you said, as much of that as they will take anyway. A couple are very keen, the other two not as much. I really appreciate all your help.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully the laggards will catch on and take more. Give mom a dish a day of the formula too. She needs the calcium.

You may find that after a day or two of syringe feeding and the kittens gaining weight that they begin suckling mom and getting milk. They may just not quite be strong enough yet to pull mom’s milk since they are so small. I’m thinking that they will get what they need from mom soon, hopefully.

Time will tell! I have a good feeling here, but in the meantime you are their food source.

Keep us posted!

C Caitlin375

Last edited:

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the laggards will catch on and take more. Give mom a dish a day of the formula too. She needs the calcium.

You may find that after a day or two of syringe feeding and the kittens gaining weight that they begin suckling mom and getting milk. They may just not quite be strong enough yet to pull mom’s milk since they are so small. I’m thinking that they will get what they need from mom soon, hopefully.

Time will tell! I have a good feeling here, but in the meantime you are their food source.

Keep us posted!

C Caitlin375
feed number 4 was better. 3 of the 4 ate and wanted more and were trying to suck the syringe instead of fighting me. Other than the feeds, she’s a good mum and very attentive to her babies.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
feed number 4 was better. 3 of the 4 ate and wanted more and were trying to suck the syringe instead of fighting me. Other than the feeds, she’s a good mum and very attentive to her babies.
sorry that should say they all ate but 3 of the 4 wanted more and were actively trying to suck the syringe.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick question. When willow leaves the babies how long is it ok for her to be out of her nest? She left to eat and went straight back a few times but on her last time, she started jumping up at the window and sniffing around the room and she was out for a good 20 minutes.