Pregnant cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perfect! What your vet said is similar to what we’ve been discussing. The babies seem to be doing well. Your vet seems very thorough and knowledgeable about cats and kittens.

Mom may spot for 7-10 days while her uterus heals. It’s perfectly normal. 😊

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Perfect! What your vet said is similar to what we’ve been discussing. The babies seem to be doing well. Your vet seems very thorough and knowledgeable about cats and kittens.

Mom may spot for 7-10 days while her uterus heals. It’s perfectly normal. 😊
i just keep helping them latch today and they keep eating. Fighting over the same one fairly often but I’ve definitely seen them all latched on each feed and rounded stomachs. I tried to make sure they toileted and they all needed to poop and one (baby blue) was endless, there was a lot of it, after that he decided he was hungry again so I’m hoping for no more weight loss. Is their stools normal? They are like a yellowish brown and firm. Baby blue one was just brown looking.

my vet is great and so on the ball, he called as soon as he heard one passed. He said a lot of what you said and that sometimes kittens just don’t thrive and it’s just nature taking it’s course unfortunately and it’s unlikely it was preventable being that he was the weakest and underweight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the poops sound good! I hope all goes well for the remainder of your day today. We’d love to see pictures of mom and the kittens when you get a chance! :lovecat2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, daddy cat was a Ragdoll after all, or pointed at least, because all of the kittens are pointed, and they also appear to be longhaired (it's hard to tell with little babies though). So cute! We definitely need lots of pictures as they grow!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buried the little one in my mums garden with her cat Mr Smee. Figured he wouldn’t be alone then.

I have a bit of an issue with one of the babies. He is refusing any kind of bottle feed. He does try to latch to mum so he does want food and sometimes he feeds fine but other times it take forever for him to latch and he gets shoved off. He has lost 4g of weight in 24 hours.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I buried the little one in my mums garden with her cat Mr Smee. Figured he wouldn’t be alone then.

I have a bit of an issue with one of the babies. He is refusing any kind of bottle feed. He does try to latch to mum so he does want food and sometimes he feeds fine but other times it take forever for him to latch and he gets shoved off. He has lost 4g of weight in 24 hours.
I should add it’s baby red, he’s down to 92g this morning.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On weighing one is down to 92, one is down to 96 and the other is down to 102. They won’t bottle feed and they’re clearly not getting enough from mum despite her producing plenty of milk. I’m really stuck here on what to do.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I spoke to my vet again who said they should be getting enough from mum and not to force them when they refuse the bottle/syringe feed and to just monitor it, as long as they are nursing and not lethargic etc it will be ok but it’s conflicting advice because I’m reading that they really need to be gaining around 10g and they’re not. I even considered surrendering them because I just don’t want anything to happen to them or another case of baby yellow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear, losing weight is concerning, but it’s tiny amounts. Let’s see how they do today, then decide. Let them go just on mom for now and let’s see how it goes with no supplementing. Sometimes Mother Nature knows best!

They only need to weigh 4 ounces by 7 days, so their weights are not bad.

If you do supplement again, you may also want to switch from bottle to syringe. It’s sometimes easier to control.

C Caitlin375

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, losing weight is concerning, but it’s tiny amounts. Let’s see how they do today, then decide. Let them go just on mom for now and let’s see how it goes with no supplementing. Sometimes Mother Nature knows best!

If you do supplement again, you may also want to switch from bottle to syringe. It’s sometimes easier to control.

C Caitlin375
The little one that doesn’t latch well, I’ve been removing him and mum from nest once the others are done feeding and she nurses him on my bed. I put a little KMR on her nipple and that seems to encourage him to latch. Desperate times/desperate measures etc. Mum is having KMR too just to keep her weight and milk production up.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

C Caitlin375
meant to add, I didn’t supplement yesterday at all as vet said to let them try but they lost weight. I’m most concerned about the smallest one because he lost 4g the other losses were smaller but all 3 kittens are moving around well and trying to feed and latch. None seem unwell or lethargic.
I tried a Baephar syringe but they were having none of it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you get Miracle Nipples where you live? They can be ordered online in the U.S. Kittens usually take to them quite nicely.

Also, pick up a 1 or 2mL syringe from a pharmacy. They are tiny and may work better.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you get Miracle Nipples where you live? They can be ordered online in the U.S. Kittens usually take to them quite nicely.

Also, pick up a 1 or 2mL syringe from a pharmacy. They are tiny and may work better.
Thanks I will try that. Willow keeps panting and has been hiding under my bed a lot.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another quick question for Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . I managed to get them on an artificial nipple so I was thrilled. The hole in it is very small and when you turn it upside down it drips out very very slowly. But when they fed they seemed to suckle it down fairly quickly. I don’t know what is and isn’t normal with that because I’d previously been just putting drops in their mouth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The hole sounds just right, especially since they suckled it right down.

I’m thrilled that they drank the milk! How many mLs did they drink? Did all 3 take it well? It sounds like their suckling reflex is strong!