Pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another quick question for Sarthur2 Sarthur2 . I managed to get them on an artificial nipple so I was thrilled. The hole in it is very small and when you turn it upside down it drips out very very slowly. But when they fed they seemed to suckle it down fairly quickly. I don’t know what is and isn’t normal with that because I’d previously been just putting drops in their mouth.
Just to add I also take
The hole sounds just right, especially since they suckled it right down.

I’m thrilled that they drank the milk! How many mLs did they drink? Did all 3 take it well? It sounds like their suckling reflex is strong!
Ok so them suckling it down quite quickly is ok. I was worried about the earlier mention of milk aspiration so I thought I’d ask. They took around 3 ml each, maybe slightly more. They were very hungry so I’m questioning whether my vet is right on mum having enough milk.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The hole sounds just right, especially since they suckled it right down.

I’m thrilled that they drank the milk! How many mLs did they drink? Did all 3 take it well? It sounds like their suckling reflex is strong!
Sorry meant to add, yes all took well once they’re realised exactly what it was. And all fell asleep while drinking so I toileted them and put them in their nest with a heat pad because mum isn’t in there. Never seen their little bellies look so full.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m wondering about mom’s milk also.

And yes, poor babies were very hungry! As long as the hole in the nipple is not too big and the kittens are actively suckling, there is little chance for aspiration.

Do you plan to continue feeding them? Seems they need it.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m wondering about mom’s milk also.

And yes, poor babies were very hungry! As long as the hole in the nipple is not too big and the kittens are actively suckling, there is little chance for aspiration.

Do you plan to continue feeding them? Seems they need it.
I’m going to let mum keep feeding them because they need her warmth and care but I’m going to bottle feed every two hours as they need because I refuse to lose another one of these babies.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok they have just been fed so I know that will probably put them up a little more than they are but I want to keep weighing at ten in morning and ten at night.

Baby red up from 92 -102
Baby orange up from 96 - 102
Baby blue up from 102 - 107

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray! They clearly need their feeds from you, and I’m excited that they are all over 100 grams now!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hurray! They clearly need their feeds from you, and I’m excited that they are all over 100 grams now!
A kitten aspirated milk I think. I feel like it’s a no win. If mum feeds they lose weight and if I feed this happens. He gasped during feeding and milk came out of his nose. I held him upside down and got the milk out of his nose. We’re at the vets. I don’t understand. The hole is literally tiny, he feeds on his front and it doesn’t seem to come out fast. It’s a very slow drip. What went wrong? 😭

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you held him upside down and it came out of his nose!

Vet should prescribe an antibiotic just in case. Hopefully kitten will be fine.

I totally understand your stress and frustration.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good you held him upside down and it came out of his nose!

Vet should prescribe an antibiotic just in case. Hopefully kitten will be fine.

I totally understand your stress and frustration.
Is that safe on a 4 day old kitten? They gave the last kitten antibiotic and he came out a million worse.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is safe. It will prevent pneumonia if he got milk in his lungs. Sadly, I think the last kitten was already too far gone.
Yeah the other one was in a really bad way but because this was during feeding I got in my car immediately to the emergency vet. Swear if he’s ok, I’m keeping him. 🤞🏻
I’m going to be scared to feed now. Is this common in bottle fed babies?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s unusual in bottle babies unless the nipple hole is too big. It happens more often in syringe-fed babies if too much is pushed at once.

Aww, I hope you do keep him! :catlove:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says. It must be 2am where you are?

I took in a pregnant stray 6 years ago and kept her AND all 4 of her babies! They are a great little family. I’ve never regretted keeping them.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Let us know what the vet says. It must be 2am where you are?

I took in a pregnant stray 6 years ago and kept her AND all 4 of her babies! They are a great little family. I’ve never regretted keeping them.
I was thinking of keeping all these guys too. I just love them. It’s 1:30 am here.

Emergency vet said they can’t hear anything on the lungs and he’s very bright and a good weight but they want to give him a tiny antibiotic just to be safe and my own vet will follow up in the morning. I took his bottle in. She said she doesn’t feel the bottle hole was too big but rather perhaps he had a little too much milk.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I hope you can get some rest now and give us a positive update tomorrow. Hang in there!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the update! I hope you can get some rest now and give us a positive update tomorrow. Hang in there!
Fingers crossed, his cry sounds a little raspy but I’ll just have to see how he goes now.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mums behaving really strange since he came home she keeps licking him and putting her paw on him and crying.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He probably smells like the vet. Wipe mom with a cloth; then wipe the baby with the same cloth to get her scent back on him. She also may associate that smell with the kitten she lost.