Pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a mom cat once that had spent a long time with her kittens. As I walked into the room, she was walking out. She looked at me, then looked at her kittens as if to say, "Please don't wake my babies," just like any worried mother.

Even feline moms need a break now and then.
They’re not really breaks as such, last night she was out of the nest far far more than she was in it.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she there when they need to nurse? That’s what’s important. If they are sleeping it’s okay for her to take these breaks.
Sometimes yes but then other times they’ll be crying and she just ignores it. Will they be ok for warmth if she’s out of the nest so much? When they do try to nurse she does roll on to her side and allow it and still licks them to stimulate toileting etc. I think it’s just her being a young and inexperienced mum maybe?

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Babies were constantly suckling and bellies looked full so I was topping up and decided to go off to bed last night. Weighed them this morning and only one had gained weight. No losses but no gains. So I’m going back to feeding every two hours around the clock for those that aren’t gaining weight.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At least they are mostly holding their own and you got some much-needed sleep. 😊

Your plan is good! Would you mind posting their weights after your next 12-hour weigh-in?

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At least they are mostly holding their own and you got some much-needed sleep. 😊

Your plan is good! Would you mind posting their weights after your next 12-hour weigh-in?
I have another question. She’s back in the nest. I had been at my mums and around a male dog. I came back, washed my hands etc and went to feed the kittens and she seemed to be growling. I thought it was me but I left her alone for a while and she growled again. She wouldn’t be growling at the kittens would she? She’s still nursing them/licking them.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question. She’s back in the nest. I had been at my mums and around a male dog. I came back, washed my hands etc and went to feed the kittens and she seemed to be growling. I thought it was me but I left her alone for a while and she growled again. She wouldn’t be growling at the kittens would she? She’s still nursing them/licking them.
Scrap this I went back after changing my clothes and she’s good as gold. Cuddling into them. When I go to feed and their bellies look round, do I continue? They’re continuing to suckle and on today’s feed their bellies looked round but the still wanted KMR

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, continue to feed the KMR. We will know more about what’s what by their weight charts. That’s why I’d like to see their weights after 12 hours of you feeding them since they did not gain weight overnight just feeding on mom. They must gain weight.

The long-term goal is to get them feeding only from mom, but right now they are not gaining weight this way so you must also feed them. The short term goal may be for you to feed them for 16 hours and let mom feed them for 8 hours while you sleep.

Does this make sense to you?

Good you changed clothes! It was dog she smelled on your clothing.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, continue to feed the KMR. We will know more about what’s what by their weight charts. That’s why I’d like to see their weights after 12 hours of you feeding them since they did not gain weight overnight just feeding on mom. They must gain weight.

The long-term goal is to get them feeding only from mom, but right now they are not gaining weight this way so you must also feed them. The short term goal may be for you to feed them for 16 hours and let mom feed them for 8 hours while you sleep.

Ok so they’ve had 7 feeds off me today but they’re still not gaining. The smallest one has only gone up by 1g and is actually the most difficult to feed and really fights it a lot. But he was the one that gained the most overall the other day. Another only gained 2g, one only gained 3g but the other gained 10g

from day one the total gain is

baby yellow 73- 86g
Baby blue 90 - 105g
Baby orange 80 - 92g
Baby red 85 - 92 g

I really thought they’d have gained a decent amount today.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like

I’m going to feed overnight and hope the morning yields better results.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think it’s a good idea to feed through the night. They are 8 days old and should weigh 4 ounces (113 grams) at one week, yet none of them do.

They are NOT doing poorly though, and the real test is total gain over 24 hours, not 12. Checking at 12-hour intervals tells us that they are NOT losing weight, but that you supplementing them now is essential.

What we need to see are 6-10 gram per day gains for now; maybe 3-4 grams for the smallest. I think they’ll get there! Keep up the good job!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think it’s a good idea to feed through the night. They are 8 days old and should weigh 4 ounces (113 grams) at one week, yet none of them do.

They are NOT doing poorly though, and the real test is total gain over 24 hours, not 12. Checking at 12-hour intervals tells us that they are NOT losing weight, but that you supplementing them now is essential.

What we need to see are 6-10 gram per day gains for now; maybe 3-4 grams for the smallest. I think they’ll get there! Keep up the good job!
They were born Friday night, so they’re only 2 days old. It’s the smallest one I’m most concerned about because he tries to refuse every feed and just isn’t as active as the others but on day one he was the one who wanted feeding the most.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oops, I looked back and saw Friday and thought a week ago. Since they are only 2 days old, their weights are fine! They have gained 13, 15, 12, and 7 grams respectively in 2 days’ time (according to the order you listed them).

They are all doing great and I think you can let them eat from mom again tonight.

Which kitten is refusing your feeding? I would not force it. This kitten may be getting plenty from mom.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, I’m going to revise my recommendation to say that you only need to supplement if a kitten loses weight or does not gain overnight, and then you can supplement as needed.

In fact, I think the slow gains or lack of gain last night and today is because they are at a good weight and getting what they need from mom.

I apologize for mixing up their age. Your feedings have helped, but definitely pull back and let’s see how they do on just mom.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oops, I looked back and saw Friday and thought a week ago. Since they are only 2 days old, their weights are fine! They have gained 13, 15, 12, and 7 grams respectively in 2 days’ time (according to the order you listed them).

They are all doing great and I think you can let them eat from mom again tonight.

Which kitten is refusing your feeding? I would not force it. This kitten may be getting plenty from mom.
The smallest one is refusing. He really fights it.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

he is also the one that never seems to have a full rounded belly like the others do after a feed from mum and he doesn’t seem to nurse much.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try lightly and gently massage the fussy one's little tummy and try burping it, too. Also, check mama kitty's teats for signs of soreness - if they look red or irritated, you can apply a thin coat of coconut oil which is okay for babies to ingest.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can try lightly and gently massage the fussy one's little tummy and try burping it, too. Also, check mama kitty's teats for signs of soreness - if they look red or irritated, you can apply a thin coat of coconut oil which is okay for babies to ingest.
He now seems fairly lethargic. Still not feeding off mum and still refusing feeds. I called the vets and they said they can see him but unfortunately there’s little they can do about failure to thrive.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may need some extra support. I would keep its blood sugar up by rubbing white karo syrup or honey on the gums. Also, try adding Benebac plus to the formula. Make sure the formula is 100-102° (i use a candy thermometer). Some tinies benefit from vitamin K and B1 added but you should get a vet recommendation for dosage. Also, add a heat pack even though mom cat is there; I put it alongside the babies so they can easily move away (outside warmth helps their body to focus energy on growing healthy systems).
I saved a preemie who was sent home from the vet twice - it seemed hopeless. She will be 2 soon!