Pregnant cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s okay for her to take a break.

If the babies are sucking on the syringe and want more, give more. That’s a good sign!

Weigh them tomorrow and report it here. I’ll update feeding amounts. It’s sounding like a healthy crew! Good luck tonight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s okay for her to take a break.

If the babies are sucking on the syringe and want more, give more. That’s a good sign!

Weigh them tomorrow and report it here. I’ll update feeding amounts. It’s sounding like a healthy crew! Good luck tonight!
i really appreciate all your help, I was so panicked. Feeding time again and I noticed one baby definitely latched. Suckling on mum and I can hear the noise. Good sign? 😊

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fed anyway as earlier there was no sign of her producing anything. The one that had been latched to mum didn’t want feeding. Put them back and he’s latched again straight away. It’s 6am here and I’m very tired so off for another nap. I’ll update weights tomorrow. Thank you again so much. So glad I joined here.

Attachments

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update. I called willows regular vet this morning just to explain what happened through the night and the want to see willow and babies just as a precaution. 3 now latch but they want to be sure she’s producing enough milk for them. So I’m off there now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like some of them are now feeling strong enough to latch and suckle milk. I hope that’s the case! Sometimes all it takes is a supplemental boost for a day or two as you have done.

The kittens’ weights will tell us!

I hope the vet agrees there’s nothing wrong with mama cat!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like some of them are now feeling strong enough to latch and suckle milk. I hope that’s the case! Sometimes all it takes is a supplemental boost for a day or two as you have done.

The kittens’ weights will tell us!

I hope the vet agrees there’s nothing wrong with mama cat!
I just kept applying a warm compress every time I got up to feed the babies. Then at 6am they were suckling but seemed to still be hungry. The vet said willow is fine and has milk in all her nipples but when she went to latch the babies she said they are struggling a little to latch and stay on and they’re all heading for the same nipple. She said just keep putting the kittens on mum but also have supplements ready to keep the weight up and keep them well fed. She said watch them nursing and check their bellies after for a rounded look but that she’s happy with how they seem to be. She said willow looks good and her vulva looks nice and clean and that she’s done a great job of cleaning the babies. I’ve put willow on mother and kitten food today and giving her some of the milk for calcium like you advised. I told the vet about getting advice from here 😁

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think for these first few days you should weigh every 12 hours until we know they are consistently gaining weight and reach over 100 to 125 grams. It puts them more in a safe zone!

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think for these first few days you should weigh every 12 hours until we know they are consistently gaining weight and reach over 100 to 125 grams. It puts them more in a safe zone!
ahhh ok. See I’m a novice.

82g
84g
90g
96g

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Okay, so before they weighed and now weigh:

85 to 82
73 to 84
80 to 90
90 to 96

They should ideally gain 6-10 grams daily at minimum, more is even better.

The first kitten has lost weight so keep an eye on that one and continue to supplement all every two hours. We’ll know more in 12 hours again.

Begin to make a written chart for each kitten so we can look across each line to see gains / losses. You can photograph the chart and post it.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, so before they weighed and now weigh:

85 to 82
73 to 84
80 to 90
90 to 96

They should ideally gain 6-10 grams daily at minimum, more is even better.

The first kitten has lost weight so keep an eye on that one and continue to supplement all every two hours. We’ll know more in 12 hours again.

Begin to make a written chart for each kitten so we can look across each line to see gains / losses. You can photograph the chart and post it.
I’m sorry that’s my mistake in how I wrote it. It’s
73 - 82
80 - 84
85 - 90
90 - 96

The smallest baby is the one that’s gained the most. I will make a written chart so I’m not so confusing. It’s my first time with kittens so I’m a bit all over the place. I just wrote from smallest weight to largest in my last reply. Sorry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No worries! I just assumed you used the same order, that’s why a proper chart will help!

Yes, smallest baby has gained the most. Hopefully today they will all begin gaining more. That’s why we’ll look at weights every 12 hours for now until we see good gains and consistency in feeding from mom.

How much are they taking from you every couple of hours?

Once they are getting what they need from mom you can top off any who need it during the day and get your sleep during the night.

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No worries! I just assumed you used the same order, that’s why a proper chart will help!

Yes, smallest baby has gained the most. Hopefully today they will all begin gaining more. That’s why we’ll look at weights every 12 hours for now until we see good gains and consistency in feeding from mom.

Once they are getting what they need from mom you can top off any who need it during the day and get your sleep during the night.

I just went with the 2ml as advised, should I be sticking with that?

Caitlin375

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long is normal for her to leave them. Tonight she just keeps leaving and staying out wandering around and sitting at the window. She’ll go back in and within 15 minutes she’s back out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she there when they need to nurse? That’s what’s important. If they are sleeping it’s okay for her to take these breaks.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a mom cat once that had spent a long time with her kittens. As I walked into the room, she was walking out. She looked at me, then looked at her kittens as if to say, "Please don't wake my babies," just like any worried mother.

Even feline moms need a break now and then.