Not Sure If My Cat Is Pregnant..But Concerned :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just the exam. Canada is a lot different than the states. It's expensive to have pets. For ONE cat to get an exam and have their FIRST set of vaccines..it is almost 200$ that doesn't include flea treatment, deworming, or any other testing. Just the exam and vaccines. An x ray is 200 dollars so I can't even imagine how much it would be if something had gone seriously wrong and bella had needed a c-section. Hence my constant worry.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! That is expensive! Do you have low-cost spay/neuter clinics in Canada?

Last edited:

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes but you have to be approved and you still have to pay a portion, and if for some reason the service is unavailable in your area then it's about 250$ for a neuter and 300$ for a spay -- that is the "discounted" rate

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! That is exprnsive! Do you have low-cost spay/neuter clinics in Canada?
There are programs through local shelters now that provide low cost desexing. Personally I always take my guys to the vet though. Hector had a very botched spay from a low-cost clinic.

They didn't stitch her up properly they also didn't put her in a cone and she kept ripping her sttitches out. wound up having staples in the end.

Later Hector started to go into what my vet calls "false heat" meaning she still had all the heat behavior (crying clingy etc). Apparently this happened because part of her ovaries was left behind. They couldn't do anything for her without an exploratory so we just put up with it.

I haven't had a good experience with the low cost clinics not saying all are this way though

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are programs through local shelters now that provide low cost desexing. Personally I always take my guys to the vet though. Hector had a very botched spay from a low-cost clinic.

They didn't stitch her up properly they also didn't put her in a cone and she kept ripping her sttitches out. wound up having staples in the end.

Later Hector started to go into what my vet calls "false heat" meaning she still had all the heat behavior (crying clingy etc). Apparently this happened because part of her ovaries was left behind. They couldn't do anything for her without an exploratory so we just put up with it.

I haven't had a good experience with the low cost clinics not saying all are this way though
Fortunately, I won't have to go through any of this because I'm on disability. The SPCA will actually let me pay the small portion for me to have them spay/neutered in my preferred vets office. At least that's how they explained it to me :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the U.S., the low-cost clinics perform so many procedures that it is rarely ever botched. The vets are very experienced.

It's great that you get a voucher to use your regular vet. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
In the U.S., the low-cost clinics perform so many procedures that it is rarely ever botched. The vets are very experienced.

It's great that you get a voucher to use your regular vet. [emoji]128522[/emoji]
I think Hector's bad experience has frightened me away from low cost clinics as a whole. I'm sure there are many wonderful low cost clinics out there I just wouldn't want to go through that again.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fortunately, I won't have to go through any of this because I'm on disability. The SPCA will actually let me pay the small portion for me to have them spay/neutered in my preferred vets office. At least that's how they explained it to me :)
Really? I'll have to look into that since I'm on long-term disability.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Fortunately, I won't have to go through any of this because I'm on disability. The SPCA will actually let me pay the small portion for me to have them spay/neutered in my preferred vets office. At least that's how they explained it to me
Oh, that's really good news. What do you think of this new vet, are you going to ask them to fix Bella and Button? 

I'm glad it wasn't mastitis. Bella had us all worried there.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, that's really good news. What do you think of this new vet, are you going to ask them to fix Bella and Button? 

I'm glad it wasn't mastitis. Bella had us all worried there.
She was really great! I even brought baby in because I had no one to watch her and she looked at her a little bit for free! She did say I should bring baby back in a couple of weeks for her check up and deworming and to see about her neurological thing because it's not getting any better :( bUT this vet is waaaay better, I was very pleased :) thank you all for your support!

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel like she is progressing a lot faster, like a week ahead of all of the kitten development stuff I have read. Her weight, her eyes, her teeth, her walking and mobility, etc. I wonder if maybe because I didn't know when Bella and Buttons mated, if bella was late.I guess I'll never know! I'm just happy she's doing well :) Baby has started peeing without mama's help as of yesterday as well, so I think I need to get some more blankets or something because she's going to make them dirtier faster.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Another update! I'm 3 weeks old now and the vet says I'm very healthy [emoji]128512[/emoji] I weigh 483 grams now, my eyes and ears are fully open and I'm completely alert! I love to be cuddled and have my belly rubbed, loud and sudden noises scare the heck out of me [emoji]128553[/emoji] I have learned how to walk but I'm still very wobbly, I love my little nest, I run around in circles in it (except I don't quite know where the end is yet so I run face first into the box every single time). I'm growing so fast, probably by next week I'll be running across the ceiling[emoji]128539[/emoji] Still have no name for her but baby bean has sure brought a lot of light and love to our little family [emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It hasnt always been east but my boyfriend keeps saying "you're doing great! Just remember this is great experience and preparation for when we have kids one day" haha which is true! I've definitely put my heart and soul into my fur babies and I wouldn't have it any other way! [emoji]128525[/emoji]