Not Sure If My Cat Is Pregnant..But Concerned :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can trim just the tips right now and whenever needed. Just the tips - don't cut into the quick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommed/suggest if any calming items would be helpful to use for buttons (baby's dad) like calming spray, gummies or a diffuser? I know he's been upset about not being allowed in the bedroom since bella got pregnant but we woke up yesterday morning and he had scratched the back of his neck until the fur and skin was gone. It's about the size of a quarter. He's never done something like this, besides licking his back end quite often (still not sure why). We just finished three rounds of revolution, the last round was put on two weeks ago a bit further up from the area he has scratched. I think this may just be anxiety/stress/depression though, not med related. I've cleaned it with saline solution and put some healing salve on it and it seems to be doing better today. Any suggestions regarding the calming stuff would be appreciated, I'm heading to petsmart in a few minutes and would like to know if I need to get something while I'm there!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
bellabean bellabean

I read your other thread about this. It sounds like stress to me.

Feliway diffusers work well, but are not cheap.

The real problem, as discussed in your other thread, is that he needs to be neutered ASAP so he a) has no more sexual urges and b) can rejoin the family.

Do you have a low-cost clinic near you? I see you are in Canada. I found this, though it's not cheap either, much is included:

http://www.spca.bc.ca/veterinary-services/vancouver-animal-hospital/adopt.html

Continue cleaning and treating his wound so that it does not get infected.

Last edited:

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm on my way to book the neutering appointment as we speak. There was nothing I could do until they had some appointments available, I had the portion of cost that I have to cover and could 100% ensure that we would have the next $170 to pay for his second set of shots 3 weeks after his neuter. He'll be getting his first set of shots when he gets neutered.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, okay! Let us know when the appointment is. He will begin to feel so much better without his testosterone urges driving him.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, half the snip program is a lie :argh: but..his appointment is next friday at 8:30 am. He won't be getting his first set of shots because "they don't do that" i have to wait two weeks between the procedure and his vaccines, which means his shots are going to cost me $300..so will Bella's and baby's. At least they're getting spayed and neutered though, right. I also have to pay the 75$ donation for each to SPCA, which is fine..but on top of that i have to pay $75 for them to be blood screened before the procedure. I dont understand how they expect anyone without three jobs to pay for this kind of stuff! We're going to do it but it's really irritating to be built up for a cheaper price and then told we still have to pay for all of these things. Plus antibiotics if he needs them. But friday at 8:30 yaaaay lol

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question about baby now. She is 4 weeks and 2 days old..I've done some reading and keep getting contradicting answers as to when I should introduce her to soft foods. My vet said I should keep her nursing until 6 or even 8 weeks bUT never said when to start soft foods. Also, what is classified as "soft food"? Does that mean wet food or softened dry food?

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
this is what I currently feed my cats in the morning. It says "100% complete nutrition for adult cats and kittens". I also have Friskies and Indoor Cats canned food that I feed them in the evening. I never noticed this but apparently the Indoor Cats is for age 1+ but my cats have always preferred it over ANY other canned food, so I've been feeding it to them with the odd Friskies can that they like in the evening.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question about baby now. She is 4 weeks and 2 days old..I've done some reading and keep getting contradicting answers as to when I should introduce her to soft foods. My vet said I should keep her nursing until 6 or even 8 weeks bUT never said when to start soft foods. Also, what is classified as "soft food"? Does that mean wet food or softened dry food?
You can start offering soft food to her now. Baby food that is meat only is often appealing. You could also try wet kitten food mixed with kmr.

Baby can keep nursing until mom is ready to stop. No need to intervene.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Great news about Button being neutered soon. My vet won't do a spay/neuter and vaccinate at the same time either. The way it was explained to me is that the anesthetic alters the cats body temperature which affects the potency of the vaccine. The feral cats I took in to be TNR'd were all taken in first thing in the morning, fixed in the afternoon, given the vaccine the following morning and then released that evening.

It means you have to keep them at the vets overnight, but at least you know they've been properly treated.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great news about Button being neutered soon. My vet won't do a spay/neuter and vaccinate at the same time either. The way it was explained to me is that the anesthetic alters the cats body temperature which affects the potency of the vaccine. The feral cats I took in to be TNR'd were all taken in first thing in the morning, fixed in the afternoon, given the vaccine the following morning and then released that evening.

It means you have to keep them at the vets overnight, but at least you know they've been properly treated.
unfortunately my vet has a two week buffer policy, so buttons has to return two weeks after the procedure for his vaccines.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the price of spaying and neutering them :/ You are doing the right thing! You can offer the wet food mixed with kmr... she may or may not be interested in it yet. I find at 5 weeks they start eating it!

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a question regarding baby! I know it's been a while, I have finally been trying to relax and step back for a while though. Baby is 5 weeks old now and still nursing, seems to be doing great! She's super active and playful :) good weight still and seems to be progressing normally. I noticed yesterday that her breath smells..not great haha. I remember reading something about this but I can't find it now :/ is there a reason for this?! Bella is still having difficulty with her nipple and nursing so I feel like it could be related to that but I think whatever I read before was something different! Any positive and helpful feedback is appreciated :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are experts here who can help ! I'm not one of them however when can baby stop nursing so nipple can heal

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Baby may have picked up an infection and need antibiotics. Also, is the nipple infected? I know it wasn't before, but is it now?

Have you tried soft foods with baby yet? If not, it's time. Mom's nipple needs a break and baby needs more than just milk now.

bellabean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is definitely teething, she has lots of teeth..she sits by bella's bowl of food while bella eats, I was going to start her on the wet food mixed wth kmr now that she's 5 weeks. Is that good? I don't think it's infected. It doesn't look infected..I've still been helping her express the milk and putting a warm cloth on it for her