Litter Box Problems

Lennybells

I’m a slave to my furry master
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey y’all! So Hobbes has been very good with using his litter box. He has not once had an accident. But he is a messy little one. His litter box is open and not very tall (maybe about 5-6 inches tall) so when he digs the litter goes everywhere. There has also been incidents when his butt sticks over…and you know the rest (thank gosh for the mat underneath). I’m getting tired of vacuuming (and wasting) litter every day. Should I get a new litter box? What kind of box? Is it easy to clean?? I fear that if I get an enclosed one or a very tall one, he might not want to use it. I live in a two-bedroom apartment so sizing is an issue as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Purrdorable

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use this nature's miracle litterbox and dont have many issues with litter messes. I have a couple of very enthusiastic digging kitties and this seems to keep them in check.

There are a lot of similar boxes that you could try. I tend to go for low entry but high sided boxes. If you buy some boxes from chewy, they usually have a good return policy, if your cat ends up not liking it. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! We got a new litter box with higher sides. Hopefully that fixes the problem!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had to get a covered box for Lila, even though they're not my preference. I've never known a cat who could literally urinate upwards. 😭 A high sided box should help.
My Papillon is litter box trained. She was doing the "butt over the edge" thing as well. It kinda defeated the purpose of the litter box, but, her feet were in the box and I don't think she had any idea where her butt actually was. I got her a high sided box, and it fixed the problem :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lennybells

Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! The new litter box came. It’s a plastic high sided, and has almost completely fixed the problem! So happy. Because he is my cat, he still figures out how to make a mess, but at least there aren’t pools of litter everywhere. Thanks again for the great suggestions!