New feral cat - is it Pauli or Paula. / It's Paula and we have kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sleeping on your lap is so darling,he must think he's in Heaven
Yesterday he was quite passive and timid. Today not so much. :lol:

I put up a camera and he was quite vocal last night and he finally used the litter box. And today he was ready to explore (or own) the house. He ran through my legs when I opened up the door. And now he doesn't want to get back in, even when I lure him with food. So Pauli, Bertus and me are in the living room and he has the rest of the house. He is quite a boss. 💪

I am waiting till he gets back to his room so I can close the door. ;)

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-30 at 10.47.09.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday he was quite passive and timid. Today not so much. :lol:

I put up a camera and he was quite vocal last night and he finally used the litter box. And today he was ready to explore (or own) the house. He ran through my legs when I opened up the door. And now he doesn't want to get back in, even when I lure him with food. So Pauli, Bertus and me are in the living room and he has the rest of the house. He is quite a boss. 💪

I am waiting till he gets back to his room so I can close the door. ;)

View attachment 469215
Oh nooooo,Im in love!!!! My beloved Cheech was orange ( think I told you)- I just melt for orange boys

No doubt he lived in a house at one time---thats great he used the litter box, whew ( that's my thing I worry about with ferals - " please keep it in the box",lol)

That's hysterical he has you all in the living room- maybe his name should be Boss?He looks like a Boss...... He's gorgeous

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Why Is My Cat Laying in the Litter Box? | Purina
6 Reasons Cats Sit In Their Litter Box & When To Worry - Cats.com

These articles, and others like them, basically cover all the reasons that cats might lie in a litter box. The second one even mentions that some cats like it. My Rikki loves new litter and when I top off the boxes he immediately goes to lie in one. He has no other issues which would explain this. Personally, I don't think that "Boss" seems to have most of these issues. Is he eliminating normally? That would be my only real concern. From his pics, he does not look like an elderly or sick cat.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha yeah he does look like a boss :coolcat:

He also lays down in the litter box, is this typical behavior?
It is,it does happen- at this point he probably isn't sure of where a good place to lie down and call his own is yet so that's HIS,he probably buried very well or you cleaned it and it's soft and smells of his own set,it's comforting to cats newly brought in - see if it continues,highly likely it will not

He probably doesn't know what a cat bed is but you can try rubbing one with catnip or a pheromone spray and might attract him- I think oncs he feels a bed under him that will go over really well❤

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These articles
Thanks!

where a good place to lie down and call his own is yet
Something like this I suspect as well, he only was attracted to the litter box after using it. For him it is an upgrade from sleeping on the carpet. The whole afternoon he slept on the stairs which also has a soft fabric.

rubbing one with catnip or a pheromone spray and might attract him
I already have a Feliway in the room and a catnip banana and a nice cat tree, but he doesn't know what to do with it, he pays no attention to it even if it is right in front of him. But he will figure it out. :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks!

Something like this I suspect as well, he only was attracted to the litter box after using it. For him it is an upgrade from sleeping on the carpet. The whole afternoon he slept on the stairs which also has a soft fabric.

I already have a Feliway in the room and a catnip banana and a nice cat tree, but he doesn't know what to do with it, he pays no attention to it even if it is right in front of him. But he will figure it out. :)
Yes-when they are outside as long as "Boss" has been or may have even been someone's inside/outside cat at one time they are not immediately attracted to catnip,don't know what toys are or even what " play " is- Timmy was not phased by catnip or pheramlne spray but tha- its very common with a true feral

However, tabbytom tabbytom introduced me to Yeowww brand catnip-the boy literallt went crazy for the stuff ,all mine (5)love it and before that only 2 were attracted.... so I think it really makes a difference in what type of catnip it is

Relaxivet is a great spray to use on beds etc- the first time my Timmy got the courage to step onto his first bed he brought tears to my eyes ,he looked like he never felt anything so wonderful,sat there for a long time and then curled up like a little kitten- now he has to try every bed in the house,lol .... took months before he dared to try out a toy,he was really frightened of them----- now you'd think he's been here forever..... and he lied down in the dirt litter box first time it was mostly litter although he preferred vertical space as he was just terrified of house sounds

They get familiar insude establish it as their territory and then start trying things out.... ❤❤❤

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeowww brand catnip
The banana is also from Yeowww, but he showed no interest at all. I also have one for Bertus and Pauli, and only Pauli plays with it from time to time.

took months before he dared to try out a toy
Thanks, yeah, I think it will take a while, though he can take his time, no hurry. :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The banana is also from Yeowww, but he showed no interest at all. I also have one for Bertus and Pauli, and only Pauli plays with it from time to time.

Thanks, yeah, I think it will take a while, though he can take his time, no hurry. :)
The actual Yeoww cstnip,in a tub.... not the scented toys n stuff(he sees thst tub and comes running)

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has been here now for a few days, since Sunday evening. And he only wants to sit on the stairs. Previously I could lure him in with food after a few hours, but now that even won't help. He doesn't do much else, he is also not interested in exploring downstairs nor in the other cats. Is this a normal part of the process? I thought he would maybe try to explore the house more now and show interests in the other cats.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been here now for a few days, since Sunday evening. And he only wants to sit on the stairs. Previously I could lure him in with food after a few hours, but now that even won't help. He doesn't do much else, he is also not interested in exploring downstairs nor in the other cats. Is this a normal part of the process? I thought he would maybe try to explore the house more now and show interests in the other cats.
Yes,,it's typical- be good to get him back in his room where he'd be more as apt to nose around- an entire house can be overwhelming- still ,,it's okay as long as he's eating,drinking and going to the litter box

If you must,bring him food and put tye litter box near him.... are you able to pick him up? He can go without eating a couple few days ---- he's got to drink though

I remember I got a bit concerned when Timmy went like over 4 days without eating a bite-dont expect him to be interested in anything for awhile,he doesn't know where he is or what to do-he might be a bit depressed,they can go through that

Timmy wouldn't even look at his favorite treats he went crazy for outside,,he was getting depressed and lethargic ahd then he got hungry enough and I also realized he was very used to being petted while I fed him outside for a year but at thst point he was absolutely terrified inside so I went for the gusto and put my hand and body near by and that was the new normal for awhile

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He is inside, but just has picked a spot to sit? This is not all bad, as opposed to the cat who runs amok when they are brought into a house. Every adult rescue I have ever brought in from a questionable situation has acted this way. They need to figure out how this happened, will it be like this forever, is there anything else that could go on that they don't know about. When I brought Graycie in, she lived in a bathroom with all her beds and food, voluntarily and with the door wide open, for a year.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes,,it's typical
Thank you! Good to know that it is normal. Right after I posted the last message he went to the litter box and ate afterwards. So that's going well, just that he is quite passive. But that is then completely normal, so good to know!

When did you introduce Timmy to your other cats?

are you able to pick him up?
I have never tried.

but just has picked a spot to sit?
Yeah, on the stairs, sometimes higher up, sometimes lower. At night he sleeps in his room, up in the cat tree, on a soft bed. Thank you for sharing about Graycie! :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Good to know that it is normal. Right after I posted the last message he went to the litter box and ate afterwards. So that's going well, just that he is quite passive. But that is then completely normal, so good to know!

When did you introduce Timmy to your other cats?

I have never tried.

Yeah, on the stairs, sometimes higher up, sometimes lower. At night he sleeps in his room, up in the cat tree, on a soft bed. Thank you for sharing about Graycie! :)
Well,it was a bit different with Timmy because I set up a huge ( 6x6x6) outdoor enclosure in the middle of my living room-so there was no out of sight separation- I'm quite disabled at this time so I really needed him close by and be easier for him to adjust to all inside sights,sounds and daily activity- my concern is never introductions but with having a confident,unafraid cat that doesn't hide at every crumble of a bag of tortillas,lol

So he saw them all the time and there was hissing and growling from the residents displeased with an intruder...but I almost always crate for safe introductions anyway, unless of course they are willing,unafraid and ready....

You're also in a sort of different position as well with another unsocislizes newly transitioned semi feral(Pauli) -I'd probably begin with Bertus crated at the start- but thsts a ways off really because first "Boss" should establish some territory first- first things first although if he sees little Bertus around he may get curious( maybe after 30 days) .... In a safe room territory is typically well established after 30 days and you begin to allow further exploration- if he's beginning at the steps & going to his room to sleep this is good,it will be his familiar established territory and he'll be comfort enough to start bringing Bertus out to perk his curiosity

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
maybe after 30 days
Thanks! A few more weeks then and I can start with Bertus, good idea!

to perk his curiosity
Today he actually started to explore a little bit, he came downstairs into the bathroom (twice). He even saw Bertus' paw under the door. I think in a few days, he would like to see the living room.