New feral cat - is it Pauli or Paula. / It's Paula and we have kittens.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dear TheCatSite experts,

A few weeks ago I moved into a new house and I found out that the previous owners left a cat. A neighbour told me that the cat is called 'Pauli', so I presumed the cate is a male. Obviously the cat is very familiair with the house, and made the house his home again very quickly. Seeing the cat more up close the last few days, I have some doubts about his masculinity, he is quite small for a male cat and looks more feminine. To complicate matters even more, yesterday I noticed his/her nipples are quite big. I know male cats also have nipples, but not this big, right? Anyway, I hope you can help me out.

I know it is good to visit a vet and do a check up etc. but I am still in the phase of earning his/her trust, and have to figure out how to get him there. I am looking into this.
PXL_20230710_095752389~2.jpg
PXL_20230716_101609691.jpg
PXL_20230716_130703040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, he's definitely got boy bits, but I see what you mean about his nipples. A female cat's nipples won't look any different to a male cat's unless she is pregnant or nursing kittens. Does he seem to over groom around his nipples?

I think it should be something you ask your vet about.

Do you have a carrier for him? I suggest you leave the carrier out in a place he likes to hang out with a blanket and some treats inside. Let him get used to sitting inside, then when the time comes for a vet visit you can just close the carrier door when he goes in.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Immediately I thought "nuetered male'' and the next photo I took a double take to be sure it was the same cat,looks like a pregnant kitty or one who just had a litter recently! Lol. Still,I'd say nuetered male'

Pauli is gorgeous,any idea how he was left behind? Is it possible they could not find him and had to leave? Is there any way to find out?If that happened to me I'd be at your house everyday looking for my cat but you just never know,maybe they cannot ...I'm guessing this beautiful kitty was an indoor outdoor cat? So now will you keep him indoors only?

He's very Blessed that you moved in,that we can be sure of!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rofl- well Paula FOR SURE!!!!!! How cute is that,awwwww
Congratulations!!!You'll keep baby kitty?
Definitely Paula, strange that we all thought it was a male cat. It seems like it is not the first pregnancy. She seems very cool and experienced. There was also no confusion when giving birth. She just snuggled in my arms on the blanket. And then started 'leaking'. So I immediately went to the vet to get a carrier, because I thought something was wrong. The vet is just around the corner it turns out, so that is good news. When I came back I saw Paula with the first baby.

I don't know about the kittens. Haven't thought about it. First I will help them get a good start and then the whole bunch will get neutered for sure! And after that I don't know.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow,I thought she just had the one kitten,how many are there?
How sweet she is ,cuddled on your lap giving birth- you have really hit the jack pot with this special little lady( I still like Pauli,even for a girlie girl!)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point two kittens, but I guess more could still come. I think it even can last up to 24 hours. We are just two hours underway. ;)
Typically 15 min to 2 hours between kittens is safe-f it goes beyond that there is cause for concern ...... It's good you have a Vet just around the corner in case you need help...

Do post photos if you can,we looooove photos!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Maybe it will just be two! It all seems quite relaxed, mother is just purring away and resting a bit.

The vet said to not let them out for the next 4 weeks. Because she could get pregnant again and to buy special food for mother and kittens. So I did that. Just have to look for a litter box. First time buying one of those. :D

PXL_20230717_122348949.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, there is a 3rd one! Hopefully that will be it! 2 black ones and a striped one. View attachment 454711
Oh how precious! Please don't let them out EVER.. the ,disease,parasite,autos,predators,poisons are butva few of the potential risk of letting kitties outside- they are safe and live a much longer,healthy life indoors❤

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Maybe it will just be two! It all seems quite relaxed, mother is just purring away and resting a bit.

The vet said to not let them out for the next 4 weeks. Because she could get pregnant again and to buy special food for mother and kittens. So I did that. Just have to look for a litter box. First time buying one of those. :D

View attachment 454710
She's such a pretty lil girl.....for starters an avg minimum 20" open litter box would be fine,2 is better.... get some "cat litter attractant" like ULTRA in case she doesn't know what it's for- show her with your hands how to dig tye litter ( copy cats,lol)

Put it not far from her nest but opposite side of her food and water sources....

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
She's such a pretty lil girl.....for starters an avg minimum 20" open litter box would be fine,2 is better.... get some "cat litter attractant" like ULTRA in case she doesn't know what it's for- show her with your hands how to dig tye litter ( copy cats,lol)

Put it not far from her nest but opposite side of her food and water sources....
There's articles here about litter training etc.. no doubt someone will post you a link

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
They seem to come in pairs! So that is four! Thanks for the tips, I will have a look. Should I give Pauli some food or just leave it be?
Oh for sure and water- she must be hungry after all that work
Have thst litter box ready- about 20 minutes after she eats she'll probably be looking to go

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
They seem to come in pairs! So that is four! Thanks for the tips, I will have a look. Should I give Pauli some food or just leave it be?
Definitely feed mama. She's going to need lots of extra calories while she's feeding those kittens. Some people actually give mother cats kitten food because it's a higher calorie concentration than adult cat food.