New feral cat - is it Pauli or Paula. / It's Paula and we have kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had any success with pellets,it's a very unnatural feel for cats-easy enough to start a kitten off with that material or a seasoned litter trained domestic but the outdoor kitties.... ?
DrElsys makes a litter called Touch of Outdoors thst has those natural smells- excellent starter litter for ferals-I mix in half of dirt,grass,sand and whatever they were used to( take out big roots,stones etc).....

Low pans that are easy to step onto as well(:they are a pain for cleaning up because litter get everywhere- but it's temporary) Outside cats do not step INTO anything so it's strange for them

The more natural the texture the better ,that's why I prefer a soft clay clumping litter mixture with some DrElsies at first( not much dirt mix,)
Thank you! Good ideas! I will go to the pet shop and see if they have something with clay and then I will mix that in with sand from outside. It seems like she has one place for peeing (downstairs) and upstairs for pooping.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Good ideas! I will go to the pet shop and see if they have something with clay and then I will mix that in with sand from outside. It seems like she has one place for peeing (downstairs) and upstairs for pooping.
Well that's great that she has 2 specific spots-thats GREAT and a good start..... I've even used a big plastic serving tray at first ,with the litter mixture on top- the stepping" into" is unnatural and is sometimes an obstacle- more natural to simply walk onto if you know what I mean...then once they understand that's the STUFF to hide their pee and poo then step 2,a low sided box and finally any box....I sure hope this helps you to get this done,this reason alone many people give up on transitioning to indoor only but it's a process -just takes a little work

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a postage scale you can use to weigh them daily and keep track to make sure they're all gaining?
I don't have a scale. But when the mother is taking a break, I have a look a few times per day to see how they are doing. They grow quite fast! Very nice to see! This morning I was surprised by how big the heads already have become, impressive. I can get a small scale, is this usual that the kittens are weighted every day?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a scale. But when the mother is taking a break, I have a look a few times per day to see how they are doing. They grow quite fast! Very nice to see! This morning I was surprised by how big the heads already have become, impressive. I can get a small scale, is this usual that the kittens are weighted every day?
Or every couple days but yes,it's usual lol not much better way to determine they are gaining as they should which is average of 100 grams per week- up to about 4 &:5 months they weigh as much in lbs as their age( eg: 2 months -2 lbs)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can, I'd use the scale for a few weeks just to make sure. They can drop ounces quickly and this is indicative that they might need some help.
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) - TheCatSite
I'm hopeful that you'll share photos as they grow, they're so adorable and I have kitten fever so, so bad!! :lol:

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can, I'd use the scale for a few weeks just to make sure. They can drop ounces quickly and this is indicative that they might need some help.
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) - TheCatSite
I'm hopeful that you'll share photos as they grow, they're so adorable and I have kitten fever so, so bad!! :lol:
Thank you, some good tips in the article! It is indeed a bit difficult to tell them apart. One is much lighter, but the other three are quite similar in color and patterning. The lighter one seems to be the most 'active' one, climbing, pushing, making cute noises 😁
PXL_20230720_052545302.NIGHT.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Amazing how one is always more ahead than the others! It matters not, really, as they will all have different personalities. You’ll be surprised at how quickly you will be able to tell the look-a-likes apart in the next couple of weeks. You’ll notice size differences, subtle colorings, and growth and personality differences. Really — I promise — and they are likely not all the same sex. Just pay attention, and start naming them. You’ll be impressed at how quickly they learn their own names.

In the meantime, weigh them all, and if one seems too light, give them extra. It will all work out!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The litter my Mom fostered (4, and kept 2 of them, plus the Mama cat!) had one boy kitten who was the boldest, bravest, and the biggest. He was the first to climb out of the box and the first to complain when plunked back into it. He actually turned into the sweetest, calmest, and most meek of all the kittens once they grew into cats, it was her two that became holy terrors! :lol: It's really fun to watch them grow and change. :)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The litter my Mom fostered (4, and kept 2 of them, plus the Mama cat!) had one boy kitten who was the boldest, bravest, and the biggest. He was the first to climb out of the box and the first to complain when plunked back into it. He actually turned into the sweetest, calmest, and most meek of all the kittens once they grew into cats, it was her two that became holy terrors! :lol: It's really fun to watch them grow and change. :)
The apple doesn't fall from the tree- your Mom did a really good job leading by example,I know she's very proud of you

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The plastic tray idea seems to have worked. I used a bit smaller one like Kwik Kwik suggested, but still big enough! I filled it with very thin cat litter, almost like sand, this is what the pet shop recommended. So I didn't mix it with outside stuff, because it was already so much like sand. She made a big pile. ;)
PXL_20230721_051225497.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
The plastic tray idea seems to have worked. I used a bit smaller one like Kwik Kwik suggested, but still big enough! I filled it with very thin cat litter, almost like sand, this is what the pet shop recommended. So I didn't mix it with outside stuff, because it was already so much like sand. She made a big pile. ;)
View attachment 455029
Purrrfect- yippee,now keep it super clean and add what you take out -voila!

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This morning, there was some noise or someone standing in front of the window that spooked the cat. When I came downstairs mother and kittens were behind the couch. I read that this is completely normal. But the main problem is that because of the surprise birth, I was not able to prepare a special room, the birth happened in the living room and I put the box with blankets there. When would be good time to move them to a special room? And how to do this? And shall I leave them behind the couch for now? Thanks!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning, there was some noise or someone standing in front of the window that spooked the cat. When I came downstairs mother and kittens were behind the couch. I read that this is completely normal. But the main problem is that because of the surprise birth, I was not able to prepare a special room, the birth happened in the living room and I put the box with blankets there. When would be good time to move them to a special room? And how to do this? And shall I leave them behind the couch for now? Thanks!
You don't have others cats ,is that right? Is there a problem for you with them in the living room? I don't know how your house is set up but usually when introducing kitties to a new place they are set up in a room so they are not overwhelmed by a big space,many rooms and mostly for introductions to other pets .. this is why I ask

I brought my feral into an enclosure in the middle of my living area to familiarize him with all the sights,sounds and activity indoors.....you mentioned " upstairs" - you can certainly put a gate at the bottom of the stairs( it'll keep the little ones back up to a point, lol) and you might want to get a pet playpen if you can keep the kittens in the living room( they come 8 panel,48" high)& even have a little pet door, foldable,great for kittens- I think it would be great for Mama to explore the house and come & go at will( from kittens).... But that's up to you,I'd leave them in their " nest" behind the couch for now & make s pen area-

Just a suggestion

There's foldable mesh ones as well with mesh tops,lots of options to make a " kitten safe " space,leaving out the chances of them finding the tiniest space to crawl behind the baseboard & wind up behind a dishwasher or inside a recliner and box spring etc....

Last edited:

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't have others cats ,is that right? Is there a problem for you with them in the living room? I don't know how your house is set up but usually when introducing kitties to a new place they are set up in a room so they are not overwhelmed by a big space,many rooms and mostly for introductions to other pets .. this is why I ask
Thanks again!

No other pets or people. ;)
But it seems that it would be easier to have a special room for them, because now I have to ask people not to stand in front of the window. To stay out of sight. :biggrin:

If other people would come in the house, Pauli would leave immediately, so she is not used to people. In a separate room they would have more privacy.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again!

No other pets or people. ;)
But it seems that it would be easier to have a special room for them, because now I have to ask people not to stand in front of the window. To stay out of sight. :biggrin:

If other people would come in the house, Pauli would leave immediately, so she is not used to people. In a separate room they would have more privacy.
People stand in front of your window? Sheesh,sounds like my Condo and sounds like my Timmy( my feral boy)- it's Grand Central Station outside my place- hate it!
A special room is wonderful,if you've got one that's fantastic and no doubt you'll be in there all the time for socialization......Pauli will surely feel safer in a smaller room.....I've got 4 cats and Timmy's never been indoors at all so cannot compare,my goals are different than yours for my house
You have to do what's right for you,no doubt Pauli is gonna be your best friend,loyal companion and " family"... You guys have all the time in the world to go at her pace-for now you can move her into her own room with her babies,I wouldn't keep her where she's at if people are frightening her,no way.....

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People stand in front of your window? Sheesh,sounds like my Condo and sounds like my Timmy( my feral boy)- it's Grand Central Station outside my place- hate it!
A special room is wonderful,if you've got one that's fantastic and no doubt you'll be in there all the time for socialization......Pauli will surely feel safer in a smaller room.....I've got 4 cats and Timmy's never been indoors at all so cannot compare,my goals are different than yours for my house
You have to do what's right for you,no doubt Pauli is gonna be your best friend,loyal companion and " family"... You guys have all the time in the world to go at her pace-for now you can move her into her own room with her babies,I wouldn't keep her where she's at if people are frightening her,no way.....
It doesn't happen that often, and not random people, but some man who works next door was probably checking the house this morning. Otherwise it is quiet and Pauli can enjoy the living room, but I think she would appreciate her own space, with just one entrance. From the beginning she could go through the house on her own pace (from the start she was looking for a place to give birth), she has been living here for years already I presume, she knows the house better than me. ;)

I will start with preparing a separate room. Would upstairs or downstairs be better? The room upstairs would be where the litter box is now, the room downstairs is quite small. Is it best to place the kittens in the box again and move them when mother is taking a break?