New feral cat - is it Pauli or Paula. / It's Paula and we have kittens.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
People stand in front of your window? Sheesh,sounds like my Condo and sounds like my Timmy( my feral boy)- it's Grand Central Station outside my place- hate it!
A special room is wonderful,if you've got one that's fantastic and no doubt you'll be in there all the time for socialization......Pauli will surely feel safer in a smaller room.....I've got 4 cats and Timmy's never been indoors at all so cannot compare,my goals are different than yours for my house
You have to do what's right for you,no doubt Pauli is gonna be your best friend,loyal companion and " family"... You guys have all the time in the world to go at her pace-for now you can move her into her own room with her babies,I wouldn't keep her where she's at if people are frightening her,no way.....
I would vote for a special room, too. But, some cats are absolutely stubborn about moving their kittens at least once. If she's a first time Mama she might be inexperienced enough to just move them randomly if something spooks her.
C cat_dad_dan Is there any way you could hang a blanket or a makeshift curtain over that particular window, and maybe run a fan or some kind of white noise machine so she doesn't have to see or hear things that scare her (assuming she insists on the kittens not being in a special room)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! Great to get direct feedback from experts! I finally managed to get Pauli and the four kittens from behind the couch into the box again. :yess:

The coming week I let them stay in the living room, while I prepare the other room, making sure that there are not too many disturbances in the living room.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are doing a wonderfuI job with this unpIanned famiIy! This is one of my favorite threads to visit, with kittens, a "throw-away" cat who now has a home, and a man who is determined to do his very best for them.
Thank you! I guess I haven't seen Pauli in 'normal' conditions, when Pauli started coming into the house she was already four weeks pregnant and, with hindsight, it is quite clear she was looking for a place to give birth. So I am curious how she will be in a few months. From what I have heard she has always been an outside cat, and I have met one woman who was feeding Pauli (I haven't seen her again), so maybe there were more people caring for her? But for now I will focus on the mother and kittens, to make sure that goes well and afterwards we will see how it goes.

This morning I saw two big (male?) cats looking into the window, and growling at me. I think they know Pauli is inside and one of them might be the father.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I guess I haven't seen Pauli in 'normal' conditions, when Pauli started coming into the house she was already four weeks pregnant and, with hindsight, it is quite clear she was looking for a place to give birth. So I am curious how she will be in a few months. From what I have heard she has always been an outside cat, and I have met one woman who was feeding Pauli (I haven't seen her again), so maybe there were more people caring for her? But for now I will focus on the mother and kittens, to make sure that goes well and afterwards we will see how it goes.

This morning I saw two big (male?) cats looking into the window, and growling at me. I think they know Pauli is inside and one of them might be the father.
Well you tell those guys" the party's OVER boys!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While this is not the case with all male cats, some do not want kittens in "their territory". Usually these are unneutered males, but sometimes they will attack kittens.
Especially if the kittens are from another male, the tom sometimes kills the newborns so that the mother goes into heat again and has his young instead. It happens with most mammals - stallions, jack donkeys, rabbits, deer, lions....I once cracked a wooden baseball bat on a giant male raccoon who was attacking a baby raccoon on my front porch. The mother coon was trying to fend him off but he was so big that it didn't faze him. The screaming was so like a cat that I was in major protection mode. Seeing me & hearing me yell, he let up enough for the injured baby, the mother and the rest of the kits to run behind me. Unfortunately, he charged me and in a terrible reflex, I swung & launched him. He ran off and took several weeks to reappear but at that point all I had to do was yell and he would leave. The baby did live but it took a few days to reappear. Anyway, Pauli seems to instinctively know the threats!
Would a local TNR groups help you TNR those other cats? It would benefit everyone, including the tom cats.

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would a local TNR groups help you TNR those other cats? It would benefit everyone, including the tom cats.
Thanks! One of them, I was told, is supposedly neutered, the other one I have not seen here before. Generally most cats here are not strays, but I will keep an eye out for them.

And if a stray is found they are usually TNR'ed.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! One of them, I was told, is supposedly neutered, the other one I have not seen here before. Generally most cats here are not strays, but I will keep an eye out for them.

And if a stray is found they are usually TNR'ed.
Well,someone is definitely in tact and if not a stray then an irresponsible owner is contributing to an already daunting dilemma

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well,someone is definitely in tact and if not a stray then an irresponsible owner is contributing to an already daunting dilemma
Yeah, I know, I also thought Pauli would be neutered and chipped, but neither of those things. I have no idea why owners here wouldn't do that.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omgoodness!!!!! She seems like she is doing well. And so do the kittens.
Is she eating and drinking ok I read a little back in your posts and saw where she was a little too tired to eat and stuff.. Thank you for everything you are doing for her and the babies.
May I ask do you plan to get her spayed?
Do you have any pictures of momma and babies together ❤ 😸 ❤
The pictures I saw of her and babies in your previous post are so cute. It looks like she is being a great momma!

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Omgoodness!!!!! She seems like she is doing well. And so do the kittens.
Is she eating and drinking ok I read a little back in your posts and saw where she was a little too tired to eat and stuff.. Thank you for everything you are doing for her and the babies.
May I ask do you plan to get her spayed?
Do you have any pictures of momma and babies together ❤ 😸 ❤
The pictures I saw of her and babies in your previous post are so cute. It looks like she is being a great momma!
Pauli is eating very well, it really seems she is eating like five cats. A lot of wet food and special mother/kitten dry food. She hangs out in the box with the kittens until they sleep and then she steps outside the box and lays down somewhere in the living room for a short nap. It seems to be going pretty well! They eyes of the kittens are slowly opening and the ears perking up a little bit.

I will go to the vet with Pauli at a later point and do a health check and ask what the best option is for Pauli so she doesn't have anymore kittens.
PXL_20230724_150620067.jpg

PXL_20230724_141931797.jpg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pauli is eating very well, it really seems she is eating like five cats. A lot of wet food and special mother/kitten dry food. She hangs out in the box with the kittens until they sleep and then she steps outside the box and lays down somewhere in the living room for a short nap. It seems to be going pretty well! They eyes of the kittens are slowly opening and the ears perking up a little bit.

I will go to the vet with Pauli at a later point and do a health check and ask what the best option is for Pauli so she doesn't have anymore kittens.
View attachment 455331
View attachment 455332
She looks so content with her babies. Thank you for all you have been doing for her and the babies.
And yes the huge appetite is great. You can let her eat as much as she wants/needs so her milk production stays good.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C cat_dad_dan Pauli seems like a great momma. Also, the kittens seem to be doing very well. Again thank you for everything you have been doing. You took in this lovely baby not knowing about 'her' (lol) and on top of that being pregnant. The part that I found amazing was as soon as you thought something was wrong (the leaking) you didnt hesitate.. you were off to the vet for a carrier to take her in. I'm glad he turned out to be a she and that the leaking was just her having babies lol..
I may have missed it somewhere but do you plan on keeping Pauli?

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
C cat_dad_dan Paula seems like a great momma. Also, the kittens seem to be doing very well. Again thank you for everything you have been doing. You took in this lovely baby not knowing about 'her' (lol) and on top of that being pregnant. The part that I found amazing was as soon as you thought something was wrong (the leaking) you didnt hesitate.. you were off to the vet for a carrier to take her in. I'm glad he turned out to be a she and that the leaking was just her having babies lol..
I may have missed it somewhere but do you plan on keeping Paula?
She's Paulie( I love her name) and it's very exciting she has her forever cat daddy!He's got my vote as a really great dad!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's Paulie( I love her name) and it's very exciting she has her forever cat daddy!He's got my vote as a really great dad!
Thank you I corrected it I put Pauli*** and it changed it to Paula stupid autocorrect lolit did it again on this post lol

He is keeping her???!!! Yay!!!

Last edited: