New feral cat - is it Pauli or Paula. / It's Paula and we have kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friends boy now hangs around downstairs,so can you just let him be? Pauli and Bertus and Boss are all eventually going to have the run of the house,right?
Right, thanks! The thing is that Pauli is also still a bit scared and she is staying in the other room upstairs. I want to let her out as well from time to time. She is especially active at night, so I decided that boss can sit on the stairs during the day and Pauli has the run of the house at night. Eventually, they will all be able to do as they please and can go downstairs or upstairs when they went.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand now - since Pauli is still especially active at night perhaps you might want to try to encourage her to be more active during the day ? Are you able to coax her to engage with you yet , play,is she motivated by food/treats? I only suggest these things to help her to come out of her shell a little more,part of reconditioning is to help them adjust to our schedule so they sleep more at night and become more social by not sleeping while we are most active.

Either way it is fine,whatever you choose and are comfortable with ,I think you'd have an easier time keeping Boss in during the daytime and Pauli during the night - have you tried any introductions yet? Are you able to handle either cats yet? It's certainly not easy when you cannot physically move them around,lol...I do get that so all you might be able to do at this point is set up some kind of partition if it's possible in the hallway where they can at least see and smell each other because it sounds like they are both ready to explore ...and I couldn't think of anyway other way besides gently moving Boss with your hands .I've heard people say they use a broom ,a board or some crazy objects and it only frightens them and makes for a skittish kitty,I always rig together kennel panels but I don't know if you have the room up there.Im sure Boss figured out your routine,knows your body language and it's a tricky situation because he knows what he wants ( that's why he's Boss;) lol.... But you do pet him,right?

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Pauli is getting a little bit more active during the day, but the slightest thing happens and she wants to go upstairs. It probably is easier the have the boss downstairs during the day. He likes staying in the living room and is not scared.

I am able to pick up Pauli for like maximum 30 seconds. Boss really has an attitude and I don't dare pick him up. He lets me pet him when he is comfortable. Otherwise he will beat me up. ;)

When i take the vacuum cleaner upstairs he doesnt like it and bolts to his room, at least the doorway. 😅

I also think it is time for introductions, I tried a few things but haven't found anything stable enough. This week I will try to create something.

Boss is downstairs now :)
PXL_20240302_122813321.jpg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Pauli is getting a little bit more active during the day, but the slightest thing happens and she wants to go upstairs. It probably is easier the have the boss downstairs during the day. He likes staying in the living room and is not scared.

I am able to pick up Pauli for like maximum 30 seconds. Boss really has an attitude and I don't dare pick him up. He lets me pet him when he is comfortable. Otherwise he will beat me up. ;)

When i take the vacuum cleaner upstairs he doesnt like it and bolts to his room, at least the doorway. 😅

I also think it is time for introductions, I tried a few things but haven't found anything stable enough. This week I will try to create something.

Boss is downstairs now :)
View attachment 471703
Oh I really like that idea best- Boss looks very content downstairs and I'm pretty sure at this point you can leave Paulis door open upstairs- play it by ear,give it a go .She's not as confident or bold as boss so I seriously doubt she'll be looking for a confrontation with Boss

That's great your picking Pauli up for a few seconds,wonderful progress,she's such a sweet girl

They all have such unique personalities,they all move at their own pace and you've really been doing a great job of Cat Daddy...... time,so many things improve with just time

❤👍

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
give it a go
First did the introduction with Bertus this morning. Boss didn't really care as long as Bertus didn't come too close. No hissing or anything aggressive. Bertus was not afraid and wanted to play with boss, but he didn't wanted to be touched by Bertus. I guess there is quite an age difference, like 12+ years. So I played with Bertus while boss watched from a distance. ;)

Also did the introduction with Pauli with just sight, I opened the door a little bit. Seems ok as well, no hissing or anything.

Last edited:

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
First did the introduction with Bertus this morning. Boss didn't really care as long as Bertus didn't come too close. No hissing or anything aggressive. Bertus was not afraid and wanted to play with boss, but he didn't wanted to be touched by Bertus. I guess there is quite an age difference, like 12+ years. So I played with Bertus while boss watched from a distance. ;)

Also did the introduction with Pauli with just sight, I opened the door a little bit. Seems ok as well, no hissing or anything.
Excellent!Thats wonderful- don't forget that Boss probably has no clue about playing- outdoor kitties really don't play,they are too busy surviving and establishing their respective place if they share a territory ..... takes some time before they are comfortable in the life of luxury before they realize " hmm,that looks like fun"- no more need to hunt,sitting around watching others might look interesting enough to join in ( or not)

Timmy,who was totally feral and an older guy watched my residents play,zoom,chase each other for many months-had no clue what Max ( my youngest- age 2) wanted whenever he'd initiate play- at first Timmy would get defensive until and can get very rough( not aggressive but rough)he'll pin Max like prey and then doesn't know what to do from there,I tell him "No" ,he let's go and then they both get praised & petted- he's getting gentler now,learning from watching that it's play- a very new thing,even toys,at first he was very scared of toys.... now he goes in the toy box and picks out what he wants to play with.... all from watching so I'm sure Bertus is great entertainment for him

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I would pull Bertus back myself,I'd be concerned he'd get hurt,he's just a baby and also Boss's claws I'm sure are like razor blades ( never trimmed) .... I'd say your supervision & intervention is best for Boss to understand that swatting at Bertus is not acceptable - and as Boss calms down some more with less fierce swatting then you can test the waters more and surely lil Bertus will learn to back off but distraction is my suggestion at this point- if Boss was handleable I'd say go for it but you don't have any control( yet) and things can escalate very quickly- then what? So prevention is the best option for now, imo

I let Timmy have at it with my others but I can stick my hand in between saying " No" and divert his attention by petting him- I would not suggest getting in the middle of a potential cat fight with a cat that you cannot get their attention without frightening them- so prevention is always best

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It looks as if Boss is just...teaching Bertus his manners, setting boundaries. That's what a swat without extended claws is all about. Be prepared to intervene should things get out of hand, but...the fact that they are comfortable in the same room, playing/observing is really great!

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but...the fact that they are comfortable in the same room, playing/observing is really great!
Thanks! It is going well, they play together on the stairs a lot. Bertus and Boss can be on their own together now. But Pauli is still a bit scared, although boss is very friendly to her.

Here they are playing. :D

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! It is going well, they play together on the stairs a lot. Bertus and Boss can be on their own together now. But Pauli is still a bit scared, although boss is very friendly to her.

Here they are playing. :D
Love it! There's nothing like a baby to bring out the kitten in an adult cat..... adorable!!!

cat_dad_dan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd say you have a clowder! Pauli will get there, queens are almost always more cautious. And she'll be reassured by watching Bertus and Boss playing.
Thanks! Pauli blocks the stairs so Boss cannot pass and this morning she attacked him while he was using the litter box downstairs. I guess this will take a little longer than with Bertus and Boss, who already sleep in the same room together. ;)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Pauli blocks the stairs so Boss cannot pass and this morning she attacked him while he was using the litter box downstairs. I guess this will take a little longer than with Bertus and Boss, who already sleep in the same room together. ;)
Boss is no slouch,just like Timmy.... funny how a lil female can intimidate them but I have a feeling he'll only tolerate it until he really gets confident when he's very comfortable with the environment,like my Timmy

Bella used to block his way as he was trying to explore beyond his territory,I had to distract her from stalking him and also when hed step into the litter box,she really was fresh....after he gained confidence he stood his ground and stopped running- Bella was very surprised to find out exactly who Timmy is and learned he is not to be trifled ,she had never experienced a tough ferals retaliation(Timmy had to learn Mama doesnt approve of anyone getting beat up by anyone too)..... and that was that,she's very courteous now,now things are very Peaceful and everyone get along rather nicely

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Queens tend to be slower, in my experience. My personal hypothesis on this is that, even after spaying, their instincts tell them to keep their territory safe for future kittens...they don't know that there won't be any. SO, they take their time in accepting a new cat.