Need Help For Mange Feral Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww, y'all are so sweet. I really didn't do anything. The trapper and rescuer and vet will really be the ones to do something. I just feel guilty that it took me as long as it did. It's hard when you don't feel like you have any options or anywhere to turn. I'm just hoping it's not too late.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to cry...tears of joy. :bawling2:

Little kitty is finally going to get medical help and the attention she deserves. You did it, Eskimo! I believe you have saved her. :hugs: So happy that you stayed persistent on getting her some help.
I would be horrified if anyone actually knew how many tears I've already shed over this poor cat.

Or maybe not.

Nah, on second thought I don't give a :censored:.

Eskimo, I don't have the words to express how thrilled I am that he was able to be trapped! Thank you so much for not giving up on him. You're my hero!

I donated some money to the rescue group. It looks like a great operation.

Thank you again, Eskimo. I mean it. You've made such a difference in that animal's life.

Please keep us up to date.

Tracks and his rescuers are all in my prayers!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just wanted to add my thanks for everything you did to help Tracks get rescued. His care is up to the rescue group now, but without your initiative, that poor cat would still be roaming the streets begging for someone to help. So don't sell yourself short, you absolutely did do something. :catrub:

I hope the rescue group gives you updates on his progress, and that you will keep us updated as well.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears as if "Tracks" has become "River." Regardless of his name, he's definitely not feral. He's allowing the rescuer to pet him and I can't imagine a feral would do such a thing.

What an awful life this poor creature must have had.

Like all of us, the rescue group members are praying he doesn't test positive for feline leukemia. If he does, his future is perilous at best.

When I put my daughter to bed last night, I told her about the VERY nice lady in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, who saved a sick and hungry kitty. The first thing she asked about this morning was the kitty and if we could bring him to Orlando.

Click HERE and it will take you to their Facebook page. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see this photo and their commentary.

#PrayersForTracks/River

Last edited:

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she sent me that photo last night! I couldn't believe it. I was telling her how the past few weeks he's come and kind of sit near me, which made me wonder if I was wrong about him being feral, but when I'd try to touch him he'd start hissing and sometimes growling. She said he's still hissing at her, so I guess she's just gutsier than I am lol. I do still think he was feral though because last year when I'd see him before he went missing, if he even caught you looking at him, he'd take off. That's why that photo I have up of him from last year was taken through my living room window lol. It's just recently since he's been sick that he's become friendlier. I think he knows there are humans trying to care for him and he's giving in.

She said she started him on Capstar for the flea infestation and azithromycin. She said it will be a three days before we know if the antibiotic is working. So I probably won't have too much more info through the weekend, but if I do hear anything, I will let you all know!

I used to hear people walk by my window and make comments like, "Eww, what is that," or "Eww gross," or something along those lines. And it was heartbreaking because it's not the cat's fault he looks like that. He's not a gross cat, he's just sick. Even people that were so-called animal lovers would say things like that. I'm so glad he's finally got so many people that see he's not gross, just needs help.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It appears as if "Tracks" has become "River." Regardless of his name, he's definitely not feral. He's allowing the rescuer to pet him and I can't imagine a feral would do such a thing.

What an awful life this poor creature must have had.

Like all of us, the rescue group members are praying he doesn't test positive for feline leukemia. If he does, his future is perilous at best.

When I put my daughter to bed last night, I told her about the VERY nice lady in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, who saved a sick and hungry kitty. The first thing she asked about this morning was the kitty and if we could bring him to Orlando.

Click HERE and it will take you to their Facebook page. Scroll down just a bit and you'll see this photo and their commentary.

#PrayersForTracks/River

Your daughter is so cute! I told the rescuer last night that he's on his way to becoming a lap cat lol. She said not quite yet, but maybe one day :-)

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was a beautiful cat before he was sick. Did you see the photo I posted of him that I took last year? You can't see him that well, but he's long haired and heavy and just really good looking. I hope he can look like that again one day.

I'm not sure why she changed the name. I think she probably doesn't even remember me telling her we named him Tracks. I think the rescuers are very good at what they do, but I think they're also extremely overwhelmed and I think some things go in one ear and out the other. Like I saw she posted that we let him deteriorate for a year in this apartment complex and no one did anything. That's not correct. What I had told her is that he was here a year ago, disappeared the whole winter/spring, and just showed back up recently. I wasn't going to correct her though because I don't care enough about what people think. I want her focus to be on fixing him :-)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On naming ferals...

I trapped an abandoned feral kitten this year who I kept for about 3 weeks until he was old enough and weighed enough to be neutered and adopted out. I named him Dasher. I wrote a page of notes for the shelter about his habits, likes and dislikes. When I dropped him off at the shelter, the woman checking him in commented, "Oh. You named him. I'll have to see what they think about that." (Whoever "they" are, I don't know.) She had a discernibly disappointed and almost frustrated look on her face.

The only thing I could figure out is that working at a shelter can so often be such a sad and heart-tugging labor of love. Naming the cats is one of the few really fun and rewarding aspects.

Or perhaps the names are changed "to protect the innocent". :lol:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I saw she posted that we let him deteriorate for a year in this apartment complex and no one did anything. That's not correct.
I noticed that too and thought it would have been nice if they had mentioned that one kind soul from the apartments was responsible for reaching out and getting him help. But you're right; we don't do it to get personal credit. They probably get more donations if they write up the worst possible scenario that not a single person ever did anything for the cat.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that too and thought it would have been nice if they had mentioned that one kind soul from the apartments was responsible for reaching out and getting him help. But you're right; we don't do it to get personal credit. They probably get more donations if they write up the worst possible scenario that not a single person ever did anything for the cat.
When I made my donation I mentioned this very thing in the "notes" section of PayPal! I'm INCREDIBLY grateful for their services but I have to admit that I was more than a little miffed that they didn't credit Eskimo.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he knows there are humans trying to care for him and he's giving in.
When I took Rusty to the vet he was a few days into URI with an eye infection. When the vet started to clean his eye the arched back disappeared. He laid on the table and I swear he was thinking "Ahhhh, that feels sooo gooood." He clued in really fast that the vet is his friend and not his foe.

I don't think you should be concerned with what the rescue wrote. Don't put anymore thought to it because all that matters is that you know what you did for River. You went from being overwhelmed and uncertain to immediately going into action to get him rescued. Nobody made you do that, you did it because you care. What they wrote didn't get him rescued. You and your actions got him rescued, that is all that matters to me.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, it seemed like when I told her we had named him Tracks she was not really interested. I only told her it because that's what we've called him for a bit now, so I thought he was maybe starting to learn it? I do know what you mean though about them not liking when you name them, because she didn't even acknowledge it. She was also in the process of trying to trap him, so that probably played into it. That's fine though, I just want him better, whatever his name is. And I really don't mind what anyone thinks, if they think I let him sit there too long like that or whatever. I know from the time he came back -- like I said in my OP -- I tried contacting who I could think of. I tried the vet that I take my dog (my Eskimo mix, hehehe) and also tried the only rescue group I knew of in the area and I never received a response. But it all doesn't matter now. As long as they take wonderful care of him, everything is good. And by the looks of it, I think the rescuers are falling for him, so I think they are definitely trying their best :-)

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I made my donation I mentioned this very thing in the "notes" section of PayPal! I'm INCREDIBLY grateful for their services but I have to admit that I was more than a little miffed that they didn't credit Eskimo.
You're so sweet! As long as he's taken care of, it's fine with me!

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If writing that up does get them more donations, then I say go for it! I think I was taken aback for about 1/2 a second, and then said F it, whatever, just treat him :-)