Need Help For Mange Feral Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I wish I could but, besides having to go to work, I don't have a crate. But also, it's the vet's office that wants me to call them later today. She asked me to give her some time to show her staff the photos and information on the cat. I'm supposed to speak with the vet later to discuss options. I wish I could bring her in now though :-(

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of the saddest and most upsetting threads I think I've ever seen on this site. I feel so bad for this cat, especially if she was once a house pet.

You can't imagine how many times I see cats sitting on the porches of apartments, staring patiently at the door and waiting for their owners to open it. Only, their owner doesn't live there anymore; they moved and just discarded the cat like rubbish. I know of one cat who slept on the porch of a particular unit for over a year after his "family" moved and didn't take him with them.

I love my ferals and strays, and I know that I impact their lives, but caring for them and seeing first hand how cruel some people are makes it one of the most difficult and heartbreaking things that I do.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm slightly glad to hear it's one of the saddest -- not that Tracks deserves it (that's what we named her a while ago because she was always making tracks in the yard running away from us lol) -- but because if it's worse than this, I can't imagine and no animal deserves it. One of the women from the trapping/rescue company came earlier to try to trap her but we weren't able to. She's sick, but she's not dumb, and she was not going to go into the trap. We tried and tried. The woman said she thinks she's too far advanced in leukemia from the looks of it and doesn't think she'll make it. I was told there is a sanctuary in South Carolina that does take cats that test positive for the feline leukemia, but -- if I understood correctly what she was saying -- I would need to pay for the testing and/or treatment and whatnot if I went that route. It sounds like they just want to trap her now to put her to sleep, which I know I said I was okay with because she's suffering, but I feel so guilty now. I wish I had more time to find her a sanctuary that takes very ill cats like this. I would even drive her to one if it was within a few hours from here, but I'm afraid she's out of time :-(

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm slightly glad to hear it's one of the saddest -- not that Tracks deserves it (that's what we named her a while ago because she was always making tracks in the yard running away from us lol) -- but because if it's worse than this, I can't imagine and no animal deserves it. One of the women from the trapping/rescue company came earlier to try to trap her but we weren't able to. She's sick, but she's not dumb, and she was not going to go into the trap. We tried and tried. The woman said she thinks she's too far advanced in leukemia from the looks of it and doesn't think she'll make it. I was told there is a sanctuary in South Carolina that does take cats that test positive for the feline leukemia, but -- if I understood correctly what she was saying -- I would need to pay for the testing and/or treatment and whatnot if I went that route, and I don't even know if they would take her to begin with. It sounds like they just want to trap her now to put her to sleep, which I know I said I was okay with because she's suffering, but I feel so guilty now. I wish I had more time to find her a sanctuary that takes very ill cats like this. I would even drive her to one if it was within a few hours from here, but I'm afraid she's out of time :-(

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found this photo I took of her in October 2016, right before she went missing. This was probably one of the last times she was around before she went missing until a few months ago. It's crazy what a year of hard life can do to a cat. She was so beautiful back then, she just wouldn't let me near her.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may not be leukemia. It may be pneumonia and poor nutrition, fleas and mites.

I hate when someone just ASSUMES a cat is dying of leukemia without a test. Of course they would just put her to sleep. I think she deserves better than that.

Is there any way to mix antibiotics into her wet food? I'll bet she would begin to feel better!

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any antibiotics and they didn't provide me anything. She'll likely be trapped tonight, as they left the trap here for her. She was too scared in the day so likely she will go in it at night. I really hope you're right, but she said she can see even from far away that she's anemic because her gums are white. She said there's a little bit of pink left which is an okay sign, but they're mainly white. She told me anemia is usually caused my leukemia. I'm still hoping for the best though. They are going to test her when she gets there, but she thinks it's the leukemia. I just know she's so scared and sweet and had such a hard life. I think she deserves to have some good life before she goes.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally agree. And this person was not a vet, just a very involved rescue group member. But I guess she sees a lot of these cases and thought it due to the weight loss -- she's skin and bones despite being fed -- and the white gums. I'm still hoping for the best, but she said she doesn't think she'll make it. She said she could probably make it a few more months on the outside if they didn't put her down, but it would be a terrible death outside without treatment.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and they're also saying it's not mange, just extreme flea infestation -- but that's the rescuer person's opinion. She hasn't seen the vet yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I would hope they would give her antibiotics, a bath, and flea meds, and whatever else she needs to try and get her better.

Even if she had leukemia, it would be nice if she could get well enough to relax and enjoy some comfort before her time is up.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They haven't gotten her yet. She's still outside in my bushes. They tried to get her in the trap and couldn't, so they left the trap here that they're hoping she goes into tonight :-(
Don't know why the need for the sad face when I'm the one that called the rescue group. I just know there's no one to likely care for her and it makes me sad.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I hope they can help her, but If not, it is kinder to euthanize her. I'm hoping they can help.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They haven't gotten her yet. She's still outside in my bushes. They tried to get her in the trap and couldn't, so they left the trap here that they're hoping she goes into tonight :-(
Don't know why the need for the sad face when I'm the one that called the rescue group. I just know there's no one to likely care for her and it makes me sad.
You've done more than anyone else has, Eskimo. And even if she's euthanized sooner rather than later, you've saved her from additional suffering. There's a lot to be said for that.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is what I'm praying for. Just a little time for her with food, clean fur and something soft under her paws. Even if it's just a week.
That's exactly what I want is for her to just have a little comfort and love before she goes. It's not fair to go through life with nothing but pain. She deserves better. They all do.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just finished writing to every single feline leukemia positive sanctuary I could find to ask if they could fit one more in just in case she comes back positive. I'm hoping one can. I offered to drive her. I think she deserves a chance. So I'll see what they say. One already wrote back saying they're at the full capacity the state allows, which I understand. Prayers tonight that one can take her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Nice work!

Where would she go if she does not have leukemia? Would this rescue group care for her?