Need Help For Mange Feral Cat

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This cat has been in my prayers since your very first post, Eskimo, but I'll definitely ramp it up tonight. If there's anything I can do, you have my number. Just let me know.

I tell you, this thread sure made me hug Atticus and Thirteen a little tighter when I got home tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I've heard back from a lot of the groups and they've all told me they're not able to take her in for one reason or another.

So if she tests negative and they think could be treatable she will stay with the rescue group here who has a farm she could stay on until/unless she got adopted. She would love that, I think!

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I woke up this morning assuming she would be trapped. I even kept the other stray (the healthy one) in the house last night so she didn't wind up in the trap. I don't usually keep her in because I have to keep her and my two senior cats separated -- not an easy feat in my little apartment. Anyway, I woke up to find a letter attached to the trap -- duct taped to the top of the trap, which in turn made the trap close with no cat in it. I don't know much about traps, but yep, apparently if you put too much pressure on the top, it closes. We found that out when we put too heavy a blanket over it to cover it.

Anyway, yep, someone decided to tape a note saying that she will care for the "malnourished" cat if I am taking it to be put down. And I think it's the same person that's been putting food for her by my door for months now. Not her own, just my door.

I know this shouldn't frustrate me as I should be happy others do want to care for her, but I feel like it's been months, you see she's suffering, no one has done anything to REALLY help her except feed her, and now when I'm finally trying to get her help, people now want to act as if either A) they can help her or B) I'm doing something wrong because I may need to have her put down. What if she does need to be put down? I'm trying to do what's best for her. I'm sure I'm just being sensitive as they did say "if you're getting her help, that's fine, but not to be put down." I'm so frustrated.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. I have had people sabotage my trapping efforts before too. But keep trying, you will get her. You will probably have to closely monitor the trap and hide it as much as possible. If they are feeding her, she may not have been hungry enough to go in the trap. Try some different things in the trap, Cat nip, Salmon flavored food or fried chicken. There is probably some food she can not resist.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she didn't even have a chance to go in the trap because it closed when they duct taped their letter to the top. I didn't know it as I was sleep, or I would have reopened it. Ugh. But I did have a can of tilapia in there, which is what the rescuer left for me. I also put some cat nip on it. I think the problem is she has such a bad respiratory infection that I don't think she can smell very well. She looks very stuffy -- like when a human has a bad cold. I haven't seen her yet today, but I'm hoping maybe when she wakes up she'll mosey on in there and check it out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your neighbor is basically saying what we've been saying, which is "please do not euthanize her."

She is clearly fond of the cat, but is only feeding her. I think your neighbor means well, but the cat desperately needs medical help.

Can you talk with your neighbor and ask if she could pay for a vet visit and meds? And if she is able to help you get the cat into a trap or carrier?

Explain to her that you are trying to get help for the kitty but you have no funds. The vet associated with the rescue will probably work with you guys on a payment plan.

This would help save her! This might be the answer if the neighbor can help pay for a vet visit, because once the rescue traps the cat, she belongs to them, and they will decide her fate.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to the woman from the rescue group last night and she assured me the only way she would approve putting her down is if she is too bad that there is no chance of recovery -- which, I guess if that's the case, I would have to approve also. I just am conflicted as to what's considered "no chance" because I've heard of cats living with feline leukemia before. I think it depends on how far along they are in the process. I'm still just hoping she doesn't have it to begin with and we'll go from there.

But the rescue group is willing to treat her if she is treatable. She said they set up a donation thing for her last night at one of their meetings, so they are going to try to treat, it's just a matter of finding out if she can be.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And this is something that I just thought would be informative for others to know about. One of the sanctuaries wrote back saying they could not accept her as they are full, but advised me to always have an IFA test performed as opposed to a snap test in the office when testing for leukemia. The IFA is a test that takes three to five days and is sent outside the office and it sees if the leukemia is in their bone marrow.

Apparently, feline leukemia tests can come back positive in ill cats, but they're false positives. Once they begin treating their other issues and you retest weeks later, they come back negative. The IFA is the REAL test that can say whether they're actually positive. The sender went into a lot more detail, and if anyone is interested, message me and I can forward the e-mail to them. But I thought that was interesting. I had a stray cat put to sleep years ago that I brought in because of a fight and she came back positive. The vet talked me into putting her down right then and there. I didn't know about sanctuaries for them and all that back then. But now I really regret it knowing she may not have even actually had it.

Just thought anyone in that situation could find that useful.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's a great idea. I haven't found her yet today so I think she must be hiding.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I still think you should discuss all of this with your neighbor so she knows what is going on in general.

I wonder if the neighbor could catch the cat.

Snap tests are also not reliable on kittens younger than 6 months as they carry their mom's antibodies and can show false positives.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She said they set up a donation thing for her last night at one of their meetings, so they are going to try to treat, it's just a matter of finding out if she can be.
If it's an online donation, I would add the web address to the note requesting no interference. Maybe the neighbor who offered to feed the cat will make a donation for her care.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, Tracks has been trapped. This man was extremely experienced (and gutsy) and did trap him. I found out he's a male. He did end up using a net. I feel guilty, but I know they are going to do everything they can to help him. He's being taken tonight to Whiskers Animal Rescue & Sanctuary in Loris, SC. After that, he'll be taken to Cat's Meow in Myrtle Beach. The rescuers are going to get him started on antibiotics and fluids and whatever else he needs tonight possibly through the weekend. I think they're hoping to get him slightly better before visiting the vet, hoping he'll gain a little strength and the vet could maybe give him a better prognosis then. That's not set in stone yet though.

One thing that the trapper told me is he thinks he may know where Tracks was all winter. There's a restaurant up the street from me that he said has a huge stray population. Unfortunately, a lot of that restaurant's population is positive for FIV and Felv. I'm still hopeful though.

I wouldn't normally ever post anything asking anyone for money or donations, but I've had a few people message me about it since I mentioned the rescue was trying to set up a donation for him.

Per the FB site: Please donate if you can help. We are going to try and trap this cat and help it. Please PayPal [email protected] feral fund mange cat

Thank you so much everyone for all of the helpful advice and just positive thoughts that y'all have had. I can't believe after so long he's at least somewhere that can try to help.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and by the way, I did go and speak with my neighbor earlier today. She basically just wanted to make sure he wasn't going to be brought out back and killed but that there were good intentions behind it. Also, she said that she will be making a donation for his treatment. So even though I was frustrated with the trap being closed, she meant well.