Need Help For Mange Feral Cat

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My god, but the owner of the recuse that took our boy Tracks/River really is a bit of a saint.

I was wondering how he was doing today so I took a look at the rescue's Facebook page. The sadness that they have to deal with on a daily basis would absolutely do me in. I just don't know that I would have the fortitude to deal with it. Simply looking at the damn Facebook page has me sobbing. Such awful, awful stories of neglect and cruelty on there.

I messaged them regarding Tracks lab tests. There are no postings on the page to suggest how they came out . . . however, his photo is still prominently on the banner so I believe he is still of this world. I'm praying that he is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, it's so sad. The rescuers work so hard.

I stopped writing to the rescue as often just because I wasn't really receiving answers, or they were very short answers. I'm sure she's just busy and it's not anything personal. But I did ask her a few days ago how he was doing and she said he'll be going to the vet on the 18th. I believe this will be his first appointment. I did try to ask if his breathing/respiratory infection has improved at all with the antibiotics but didn't get a response on that, so I'm not sure. So it looks like he'll be going tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best. If I hear anything tomorrow, I will update you all :-)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tracks/River has not yet been tested. When I asked after him this was the response I got this evening:

He's been resting comfortably here we have not tested him yet, we were waiting for him to put on some weight and get a little stronger before we had to knock him out

So cats have to be anesthetized to test for leukemia?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Tracks/River has not yet been tested. When I asked after him this was the response I got this evening:

He's been resting comfortably here we have not tested him yet, we were waiting for him to put on some weight and get a little stronger before we had to knock him out

So cats have to be anesthetized to test for leukemia?
Only if they are very feral. It's a blood test that requires blood drawn from either the neck or the leg so most cats can be tested easily enough, but if the cat is too feral to hold still while you draw blood you would need to sedate him.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So cats have to be anesthetized to test for leukemia?[/QUOTE

He is not handleable, which is why he would need to be knocked out. It would be nearly impossible to hold him down to draw blood or run any tests, unfortunately.

Yes, I believe if/when he is a bit healthier or stronger I could visit the rescue and see him. I am hoping his tests come back positive and that will be an option!

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I had not seen the response from Norachan before I posted. But yes, that's correct. He is not able to be handled.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor cat. I keep thinking about him in terms of my ferals, most of which would allow me to pet our touch them. That said, they would certainly not be okay with my sticking a needle in their neck.

Eskimo1115

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, he definitely does not like to be touched. I know the rescuer was able to pet his ear slightly in the cage once he was at the rescue, and he didn't attack her, so that makes me wonder if he would eventually come around with the right human. Haven't heard anything back yet on him, so hoping he's still okay.