Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S sweet jane flash You paint a good image with your words. I don't dance today but did take modern dance in college, and years later some ballet classes on my own.

Well, yesterday we got some things done but not others.
1) Pest control service came to treat outside of house and my tool shed. I checked and it was O.K. to do so, so after he left
2) I hung two loads of laundry outdoors to dry
3) We got the junky pallets up to the back property line dump heap (for brush and old pallets)
4) Brought two large tarp loads of old leaves down to compost heap and brought three buckets of compost back up
5) Started filling large turquoise glazed pot
6) Made up our bed with (still) flannel sheets but summer comforter rather than winter lamb's wool comforter

Today is chillier than it has been
1) Have a load of laundry in clothes washer
2) Put my flannel shirts away, brought out summer shirts. Himself is still wearing heavier shirts - he feels cool temperatures more than do I.
3) bring more compost up to continue mixing potting soil
4) Hopefully finally start potting / planting summer bulbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Regular morning stuff, boxes, tea, put warm blanket and throws in washer. It's very cold, in the 40s with a wind chill in the low 30s, will be around 33 tonight, Yikes, and this is May?? This flare just won't end but I don't want to go to er because of COVID19 so I'll just have to wait it out. I'm going to have Kaylee pick up a quart of Tomato soup from Panera, it's so good and they give you Asiago cheese croutons. I'm going to ask for extra, and also get a Caesar salad, and maybe a scone. I found someone to color my hair. We'll both wear masks and she'll be wearing gloves anyway. I'll wear one of my surgical masks because I don't want to ruin my Minnie Mouse. She ever sewed wire to fit over the nose, it's so adorable! Kaylee is going to get me a few mini roses in a planter with the soil already in the pot for a dollar from Target. Last week she got my favorite tp, Cottonelle in a 12 pack, Mega rolls!! Haven't had it in forever, even since before COVID19, she was also able to get Clorox from Target as well. haven't been able to find it for a few weeks. So I'll wait this flare out have good soup, cuddle with my big Cal.💞🌷🌺🌹🌼

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It was raining when we got up this morning, so no visit to Lowes. And I don't plan on doing much today. We are to have rain showers throughout the day, so nothing outside. And Mia6 Mia6 Our local weatherweenies are calling for snow showers on Saturday night! This IS May, last time I looked!
  • My turn to scoop boxes
  • A quick vacuum and swiffer about the house
And that might be pretty much it.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
1. Look for toilet paper (my city still has a major shortage)
2. Patiently wait on my Amazon packages (while tapping my feet and fingers) haha
3. Try and fix the fact that liquid nails is not holding up on the walls outside. I'm so challenged in these areas.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hellebores have seeded themselves in where they shouldn't be, like the railroad tie steps into the woods. Broad steps, with stepping stones and gravel. Plants just love to seed into gravel. Moss too, but don't let me get distracted. These hellebores have been there for longer than I should have left them, but who has the heart to weed out hellebores. Today is overcast, with rain forecast this afternoon and tomorrow. So today I

1) Took a cart down to the compost heap and filled three large sheet rock type buckets and one smaller bucket with compost. Pushed cart up driveway to where I would be planting.
2) One at a time I hacked two rather large and several smaller hellebores out of the steps area and replanted, using pickaxe to loosen soil, add compost, add some 5-10-10 fertilizer, mix everything up, plant hellebore, top with more compost. Water with soluble fertilizer solution. Mulch with old oak leaves. Repeat several times. Load now-empty buckets, empty water jugs, pickaxe, shovel, spading fork, jug of granular fertilizer, measuring spoons, hand rake, small pieces of hellebore that broke off but I'll pot up - everything into cart and trudge the rest of the way up the driveway to tool shed and put things away. Acetaminophen now kicking in.
3) I'm sure there will be something else to occupy my time this afternoon.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got trash and recycle out for pickup,

Went to greenhouse nursery

Got to sit for a change while someone else did the yard work (fertilizing apple trees, roses, raspberry bushes ...) woohoo

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got any pictures?
The serious cold we had just a bit ago eliminated the apple tree blossoms for the most part (that's a hail net over the two apple trees), and it's too early for the roses to be doing much, but the grass is coming back to life and there are tomatoes, sweet peppers, cantaloupe we started inside, and a few more flower seeds going in tomorrow. The asparagus is doing really well, and the onions and shallots are hanging in there. I have an impatient gardener in the house lol, so I hope it isn't too early for those tomatoes!

feed the fish
give Poppycat his milk thistle
depending on how windy/cold it's supposed to get overnight, bring in the purchased plants :)

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Beautiful yard!! I love shallots, is it difficult to grow them?
Winchester Winchester Pam, our temps will fall into the 20s one night over the weekend!! Crazy!!
  • Regular morning stuff, tea and boxes. My Adirondack chair came! I'll need someone to remove it from the box. I hope it doesn't need to be assembled. Will wait till after the weekend because of the weather. Wish the drivers could bring over-sized packages into the house. I didn't want to leave it out because I've had 2 deliveries taken from my mailbox in 2 weeks. I think I know who is taking them, not positive. I still have soup, lots of French bread from Panera. Been eating a lot of peanut butter sammies.Our Governor wants to change schooling in the fall to students only being in school 2 days a week, due to Covid19.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Nice! I love Adirondack chairs and am thinking of them for the shed deck.
It's a shame that people feel they have to steal packages; I was reading about women wearing nurses' scrubs who are following delivery trucks and then stealing the packages almost as soon as they're delivered. People with porch cameras have good pictures of them, so I hope they get caught.
Furballsmom Furballsmom I really like your pictures!

Very chilly this morning. I have a heavy sweatshirt on and am still chilly. The sun is shining and it looks to be a pretty day, but it will be cold.
  • My turn to do the breakfast thing with the girls. I'm running the dishwasher now; Rick forgot to do it last night. Sitting back here with my coffee; you know, some mornings I want coffee and some mornings I couldn't survive without the stuff. This is one of those "can't survive without it" mornings.
  • We may hit Lowes this morning; it all depends on whether Dear Richard drags his butt out of bed fairly soon. Once we get past 8:00, I won't brave the hordes.
  • Regular stuff: vacuum, etc. I'll sort laundry tonight to do tomorrow morning.
Rick's mom has been watching a lot of tv and is getting confused. She called Rick to tell him that she needs me to put books on her Kindle, that she's waited long enough and that we'll be allowed to come up on Friday, May 8, when things in PA open. Rick tried to tell her that it doesn't work that way; that the nursing home won't let us in and that the homes didn't re-open. I think he's going to call the home, see if we can come up, if they can bring the Kindle out and I'll bring it home. Clean it up, put books on it, and then we'll take it back. I understand that she hasn't had anything to read now for a quite a well, but we can't just walk in there either. She knows that, too, but she's bored out of her mind. I get that, too.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mia6 I Love Adirondack chairs too, got a couple of them in my front garden (forest green color) :silver: :)♥.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
! I love shallots, is it difficult to grow them?
It isn't, but the main thing that can be challenging is to keep the soil evenly moist while they're in the really teensy stage/first planted, because that requires babysitting the dirt lol to ensure the sun and/or wind isn't drying them out.

I really like your pictures!
Thank you 😘

Speaking of mother's day and with a nod to my mom, I somewhat inherited her "green thumb" . That woman had the most awesome garden year after year when I was a kid :)

Today, I'm thinking about trimming the dead canes out of the roses.

I'll likely plant the big pot out front. I was thinking about putting a blueberry bush in it for something different but not for the $50 they were asking, so it's seeds of various flowers this year. (I don't know if anything can beat last year when I saved 14 butterfly caterpillars out of a plant we'd purchased from a nursery. We're seeing their following generations this year :) )

It'll be too windy today to plant the tomatoes et al so I'll put a few more seeds in the ground, --radishes, some dill...

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very nice Mia6 Mia6 I like the color combination of chair and grass. As it is said, "Red and green should only be seen upon an Irish Queen."

Yesterday, following the hellebore maneuvers we dropped Himself's car off for an oil change. Will pick it up this afternoon. Place has a tiny office, these days no customers are allowed in, drop keys through the mail slot in the door. Curious as to how they will manage the pick up. Intend to go with a jar of water & bleach with a washcloth, wipe down door handles, steering wheel, dashboard, etc.

This morning he has a PT/INR at the health clinic. Since his car is at the shop lucky me gets to drive. I'll wait in the parking lot.

As Winchester Winchester mentioned it is sunny but chilly. So today I am planning to mow the grass and weeds before we need to bushwack through the quondam lawn. Prick out seedling four o'clocks. Work on potting more cannas. Don't think there will be much time for thumb twiddling.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Love that chair! The red is simply awesome! Enjoy!

Rick's turn to do the breakfast stuff for the girls and he'll scoop in a bit. It's raining and dreary, so I stayed in bed for a while this morning.
  • Working on two loads of laundry
And, well, that might be it. I am going to figure out what I want for landscaping, windowboxes, etc. at the shed and make a list. It's way too cold to do much planting, but I can get a good list going, if nothing else. We're planning on hitting our favorite nursery, probably next week or the following week (once people go back to work).

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several things and they're all sucky.

Called the farm stand. Placed an order. They'd put it together and call me back with the cost. That was over 2 hours ago.

Chipmunk in greenhouse yesterday and still there today I turned thermostat control for louvers in end wall low enough to open. Went in, stomped around, saw chippie, didn't leave. Concerned that if I put corn either inside or outside by the louvers I'll only attract more of them inside.

Domino and Mr Poe were sitting by the kitchen doors watching an outside chipmunk and squirrel as they often do. A little teeth chattering, nothing much. And then suddenly they were a rolling, screaming, fighting ball of fur out the room and down the hall. Mr Poe now isolated with me in my study. Will wait until lunch time and see if food resolves the issue.

And we're likely going to have a frost tonight. Will need to throw a sheet or something over the emerging bananas.

Today really stinks. I am NOT happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.