Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Mod Note - Purpose of the thread - Name three things you have done or will do today

Winchester Winchester Aw...Pam I am so very sorry about your friends. It must deeply that they are both gone.:hugs:
How was your big sandwich?

boxes
tea

It's cold here, in the 20s. I decided to wash my quilt here rather than having Sherry take it to the laundromat because it would cost
$8.00. It's already ripped from the agitator so I went ahead and washed it, plus all the throws and sheets. I get up early so I had almost everything washed by the time she got her. It took almost an hour for the quilt to wash. I washed it on Bulky setting. She dried everything and folded. Then she made me breakfast and mopped the floors. This was the first time in 20 years that Nicole didn't have anything on New Year's Eve. It felt strange eating a chicken pot pie and baked potato on NYE, ha!! She's doing pork, sauerkraut and. mashed potatoes today

Last edited by a moderator:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you Mia6 Mia6 . They were good friends and they meant a lot to both Rick and me.
Our Big Sandwich was quite good! But very filling; Rick managed two slices, but I could only have one. I had cooked shrimp yesterday, too, so we had chilled shrimp to go along with the sandwich. We love shrimp.
Is Sherry new? It sounds like she will work. Good luck with her!

It's cold here this morning, too. When we came out of the shed last night, it had snowed. This morning, the wind is whipping and it's about 33 degrees, which really isn't too bad, but with the wind, it feels considerably colder.

You can tell we're getting old(er). We did manage to kiss in the New Year (it's our ritual) and I went outside to bring my old purse back into the house, but by 12:30, we were both sound asleep. We watched Aquaman last night and Ad Astra. Jason Momoa is my dip in the shallow end of the pool, but I don't care for Brad Pitt and slept through Ad Astra. Then Rick started watching a couple episodes of Jack Ryan on Prime to get us to midnight. That was pretty much our night.
  • Breakfast for the kids. We forgot to run the dishwasher last night, so it's running now. My turn to scoop and I'll do that after I've finished my coffee.
  • Need to go out to the shed to raise the blinds
  • I need to get into Quicken and get us caught up for 2020
And that's it. I may watch something on TV this afternoon, if Rick doesn't take the shed for football. But I'm doing no work: no vacuuming, no swiffering, no laundry. I'm zoning out today.

Rick tried taking the Firestick from the tv in the bedroom and putting it on his tv in the living room. If he's going to keep the Stick out there, then we're going to have to get some kind of extender; the Stick went behind the tv, and the router couldn't find it properly. We put it back on the bedroom tv for now.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Spent the morning trying to not boredom eat while stuck at home. After the bathroom Installer left for the day today I made an emergency trip to the dementia aunties house because the “screeching creatures” were back. Explained again it was just a smoke alarm battery and got it changed for her. She also had a non working computer that only needed just a new mouse battery to work fine. Finished the day by picking up wall paint and knobs for the new bathroom vanity.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) Spread refined mineral oil on the round butcher block kitchen table, rectangular butcher block table, and butcher block work table. Three coats for the round table, two apiece for the others
2) Started sorting and rearranging all the cans of paint, solvents, etc in basement
3) Put a couple of things on Freecycle but not attracting any interest

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam, no, Sherry is not new. I kept referring to her as my helper. She started on 9th of October. She was my aide for 2 days in May of 2018. She was rude and argumentative and I called Jon and told him I didn't want her to come back but afer Hannah left for the second time in September, he called me and told me he had someone who could work Monday-Friday 3 hours a day. I reminded him about the first time she was here and he asked me to give her a chance. It's up and down with her. She doesn't like to cook but she can make bacon and eggs, egg salad, and pancakes. I want her to make your Mac&Cheese with tomatoes, but I think she'd have a heart attack if I asked her to. She complains a lot about everything, but somehow I've kind of learned to make her laugh. She adores Callie, even brought her a scratching post. So we'll see.

• Boxes
  • Tea
  • I'm confused as to what day it is. For some reason I think it's Friday, which is pay day!!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Sorry I got confused. I didn't remember her name. I hope it goes better for you.
  • Breakfast for the kids, walked 2 miles, raised the blinds in the shed. It's Rick's day for scooping.
  • I have a hair appt this afternoon
  • I've been watching Designing Women on Hulu at night and Rick has been watching Jack Ryan on Prime

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have two couples we are friends with coming for dinner on Saturday. So today I need to go shopping for items I need for that meal and items I need for us. What's needed? Salmon for dinner, and a green vegetable, as yet undetermined. One friend is bringing a wonderful sounding nusstorte for dessert (told her it better come complete with recipe!) and the other (who doesn't cook) a baguette for the pate. The men, apparently, are bringing their appetites.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Couldn’t stand the inactivity so I got up early to squeeze in a gym visit before the installer’s arrival. I will probably spend the rest of the morning trying to get some sewing done since I have had two large Etsy orders in the last week and my inventory is pretty low after the December craft show.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I had four inches taken off my hair yesterday. For the first time in forever, my hair is right to my shoulders as I had 3 inches taken off late last year with another 3 inches removed last summer. I got tired of dealing with the long hair and it wasn't looking good. It was time to go. My stylist was more than a little surprised; I don't do trims well, let alone taking off all that hair! I looked at her and said, "Baby steps. I had to do it in baby steps." Looks good.

The sky looked strange this morning. It was really cloudy and the only light in the sky came from the southwest. It was almost like the sun was trying to rise from that direction. It's weird.
  • Breakfast for the girls, walked 2 miles, raised the blinds in the shed, and am finally back here drinking my morning coffee. Rick did the dishwasher. I'll scoop after he leaves for his sister's. They have an appt with VA about their mom. It's their mom, it's none of my business, and I'm staying home.
  • I'm taking down the Tacky White Tree in the shed. It's time. I take the balls off, then Rick removes the lights and packs the tree away. He's a much better tree-packer than I am. If I get it done before it starts to rain, I'll take the lights from the shed deck, too. Then a good vacuuming in the shed and I'm done. The living tree and the house decorations will be taken down over the weekend.
  • Must go to the bank today and, while we're out, I'd like to go to Ulta for the jumbo shampoo and conditioner. And I have a $3.50 coupon to use, plus some points. I no longer go to Ulta for my hair colors and I need to get my points used before they get taken.
And I think that's pretty much it for today.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dinner party tomorrow with two couples - the women are in my Wednesday knitting group and also the garden club I decided last year was my last year. The husbands are nice people too. So I need to
1) decide on plates etc for the meal, which will be salmon en papilote, asparagus, and wild rice / white rice cooked separately then combined
2) make a boursin type cheese for one of the appetizers
3) make chicken liver pate for one of the appetizers

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sitting, sewing, eating. I should get to see the first piece of shower surround go in this afternoon, a light and dark grey stone looking material which will be the main color in the room. Because it is such a small bathroom the shower surround and sink top, which is the same material as the shower surround, will be the darkest colors in the room with vanity, walls, floor and trim in lighter greys. Very monochromatic with accent colors only in accessories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam I bet your hair looks good!
susanm9006 susanm9006 Susan, those colors sound pretty!!

• Boxes
  • Tea
  • Need to do laundry. Sherry only had time for bank and shopping, so I'll pace myself. Will probably watch some DVDs; Unfaithful, haven't watched it in a few years, and For Keeps? a cheesy Molly Ringwald movie but I like it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Mia6 Mia6 It's different, but not in a bad way. I just saw Unfaithful on tv a couple weeks ago. Good movie.
susanm9006 susanm9006 Those colors sound very pretty. Can't wait to see pictures!
C catapault Your dinner sounds wonderful! Hope it all goes well.
  • Breakfast for the girls, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my morning coffee. I'll go out to the shed to raise the blinds. My turn to scoop the boxes, although lately, it's become my turn every day. Even when I think Rick's going to scoop, something comes up and I have to do it.
  • Before Rick goes out to the shed to watch football, he's going to bring some decorating boxes upstairs for me. I'm going to start tearing the holiday kitchen apart this afternoon. We'll do the tree either tonight or tomorrow. The Tacky White Tree in the shed has been taken down. Rick took down the outside lights yesterday.
  • A bit of vacuuming and swiffering today. Wipe down the kitchen and bathroom. I might work on some laundry, too, while I'm at it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I can't edit my original post, so am adding another one. Rick's mother called; her Kindle is messed up again and she can't find her Overdrive app that she uses for library e-books. She doesn't know what happened, but she needs me to get it fixed. We're going up tonight and I'll see what I can do. The last time it was messed up, it took me forever to straighten it all out. She said it was fine until she came back from breakfast this morning (which just reaffirms my thoughts that somebody's messing around with it). I'll see what I can do. It's frustrating, though, because the nursing home's wi-fi is slower than molasses in January. It takes me a good hour to try just to load books on to her Kindle. So when it's screwed up, it takes that much longer. I'll probably end up bringing it home again; that makes her angry, unless I take it right back the next day.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't edit my original post, so am adding another one. Rick's mother called; her Kindle is messed up again and she can't find her Overdrive app that she uses for library e-books. She doesn't know what happened, but she needs me to get it fixed. We're going up tonight and I'll see what I can do. The last time it was messed up, it took me forever to straighten it all out. She said it was fine until she came back from breakfast this morning (which just reaffirms my thoughts that somebody's messing around with it). I'll see what I can do. It's frustrating, though, because the nursing home's wi-fi is slower than molasses in January. It takes me a good hour to try just to load books on to her Kindle. So when it's screwed up, it takes that much longer. I'll probably end up bringing it home again; that makes her angry, unless I take it right back the next day.
Is it possible to put a access code in the kindle like an IPad has? Or maybe she should have an IPad. Looked it up and you can passcode protect it. You would just need to make it something easy for your MIL to remember, like a former address.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible to put a access code in the kindle like an IPad has? Or maybe she should have an IPad. Looked it up and you can passcode protect it. You would just need to make it something easy for your MIL to remember, like a former address.
There is no way I'm buying her an iPad. I bought her a Kindle Paperwhite and she didn't like it. So then I got her a Kindle Fire, which she does like. I'm not familiar enough with Kindles to do passcodes and the like. This one has "special offers" and, for the most part, those are the books that she or someone is trying to buy. I'm tempted just to go to Amazon, pay the $20 and have the "special offers" removed.

But we just came back from the nursing home and Rick thinks she's messing around with the Fire enough so that she's the one screwing things up. I spent almost two hours, trying to get things straightened out for her tonight. After I got the Fire working again, I gave it to her and said, "Ok, open it." "Ok, you're going to breakfast; shut your Fire down." "You're coming back from breakfast; open the Fire to read." She's having definite problems with it. And as soon as we left the home, Rick said that he'd bet any amount of money that she's having problems. She says it's not her, but we saw enough tonight to think that, yeah, it is. But, you know, she's 98 years old and she can no longer see well at all; I have the font size set now to the next to the highest font size and it's all she can do to read that. I told Rick that, from here on out, we just deal. When she messes it up, I'll go up and straighten it out again. I reset the parental control password again and hopefully, that will stop any book buying. When I changed the parental control, she wanted the password. Uh, nope. Not going there. I know, I feel like I'm treating her like a child and that's not my intent. But dang, this is frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.