Name Three Things - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the anniversary wishes! :grouphug: We didn't do anything. We couldn't go outside as it was just too nasty. The wind was horrible, but it finally died down last night after the front went through. Rick watched some Hulu and I read in the afternoon. I read something called Autobiography of a Flea from 1887. Got it from the library. I guess it could be called Erotica? I just think it was weird. It was something that could be read in an afternoon. In town, they're under flood warnings; we ended up with over 3 inches of rain yesterday. We don't worry about water and flooding, thankfully.
  • My turn to get up with the girls and empty the dishwasher. I made Rick's coffee, stuck it in the fridge and am sitting back here with mine. Rick will scoop the boxes.
  • Two loads of laundry this morning, one a load of cat stuff.
  • Quick vacuum and swiffer
  • Working on a grocery list; we may brave the hordes at the grocery store some morning next week.
Mia6 Mia6 I hope you feel better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Boxes. tea, usual morning stuff. It may be warm enough to read outside today. Only some smalls to wash. Messed up on the list yesterday and didn't have Kaylee get bread or smoked turkey breast for sammies. I'll figure something out or order a bunch of food from the Asian restaurant that usually lasts me about 3 days.Supposed to be warm today, hope it will be. Cal has been so snugly lately. I wondered where she was this morning and here she was right beside me on the sofa, she's never done that, She was purring and cooing.💖
Winchester Winchester Thank you, Pam. Erotica, yeah?, hee, hee Sounds good to me!!

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Erotica is different, that's for sure!

Amber started yelling around 2:30. Which got Molli started. Which got Molli and Muffin tussling. Which got me up, dressed, and out to the shed by 3:30. I snuggled on the couch and dropped back off to sleep. I think Rick and I are going to sleep in the shed tonight; we need a night/early morning away from cats.

I stumbled back into the house with my mug of coffee around 8:00. Rick just looked at me and grinned. That man can sleep through anything, but they were even getting on his last nerve today. He said it was ridiculous.
  • Rick took care of the cats and emptied the dishwasher; I'll scoop in a bit.
  • I'm going to take the refrigerator innards out and wash everything, shelves and all.
  • We're going to work outside today. I need to pick up branches (again!) from the wind storm on Thursday. We're going to do some weeding. And I think we may plant our green bean and wax bean seeds this afternoon. Sooner we plant, the sooner we'll get beans (hopefully). We've been checking out the long-range night temps and they don't look all that bad.
  • Still working on a grocery list. I don't have high hopes for flour (still have three full bags in the freezer) or frozen veggies. With everything going on with the meat industries, I don't have high hopes for meats either, although the stores did limit packages for customers.
And that will probably be our day.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Already back from the small IGA in town. Didn't need much beyond some produce but easiest to go there this a.m. I got bananas, apples, broccoli, some thin sliced beef for a stir fry tonight, coffee beans, bread, a couple of bagels. Store not very crowded. Sitting for a couple of minutes to recover from the wild excitement of seeing other people, even talked to two of them that I know.

Then I want to
1) start a batch of yogurt in Instapot
2) rake more leaves
3) start taking winter covers off bananas in the garden

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam, you picked the perfect time to build your she-shed. Little did you know how
amazing it would turn out to be, having a little hotel room, or cottage to get away to. Can you
imagine if you didn't have it with COVID19 in our midst? You and Rick have a little love nest, hee, hee :blush:.
and a haven for when you need to get away from the girls.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester Pam, you picked the perfect time to build your she-shed. Little did you know how
amazing it would turn out to be, having a little hotel room, or cottage to get away to. Can you
imagine if you didn't have it with COVID19 in our midst? You and Rick have a little love nest, hee, hee :blush:.
and a haven for when you need to get away from the girls.
Honestly Mia6 Mia6 We picked the perfect time....period. Rick was already retiired, so he could work on the shed. The last year that he worked, he was collecting Social Security and a paycheck (because he was old enough to do so), so we could put more money in the bank and pay off some bills. I retired in January, before all this virus stuff started to happen. I was able to start on Social Security and I was already getting my monthly pension, just before things got really bad. So we don't have to worry about our jobs, we don't have to worry about putting food on the table. The shed is there for me when I really need to get away. Believe me, we are blessed. We know it. And we are very thankful.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I uncovered the hardy bananas yesterday. They are well into growth. As soon as the tubs were off they began to straighten up, as you can see.
BelleWood in Bloom_2020-05_emerging Musa basjoo.jpg
Himself helped me get the leaf shredder started (it had been put away in the garage last fall with gas in it - very bad no-no!) and I started shredding leaves that had been piled over the tubs over the cut back bananas. Shredded enough to fill 6 large tubs and that's probably not even half of what's there.

This means that the crates of cannas I put away last fall are also ready to be potted up. Today I will need to move my car out of garage to create work space for mixing soil and dealing with cannas. There's enough that I shall count it as my "three things." Also tomorrows "three things." Maybe even Tuesdays . . . If I want a break I can always shred leaves.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
S sweet jane flash Love Constant Comment tea!
  • Boxes, tea, regular morning stuff. Yesterday a skunk squirted very close by so I turned on kitchen fan above the stove, bathroom fan, and lit a 3 wick candle that smells of Lilacs from B&BW. Used Febreeze fabric refresher in case anything absorbed the odor. Today will have Kaylee do laundry, vacuum, and a general clean--up.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I gave the vet's secretary an update on the cats as usual.

I need to go to the independent grocery store. They reopened last Friday after being closed for 2 weeks. Normally I would be heading out now for the 8am store opening but 8 am to 9 am is now seniors only hour. Not a big deal but hopefully the store won't be too crowded at 9 :paranoid:

After that, I need to check on the status of some online orders. I ordered one thing on Amazon and it says shipped on April 28 but the USPS tracking info just says a label with that number was created on that date and they don't have the actual package. Why mark an item as shipped when it's not actually shipped? :rolleyes3:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Today is Dear Richard's birthday! I couldn't get out to get him a bday card and my Paint Shop Pro skills and Adobe skills are sadly lacking to try to make one, so I did the next best thing. I made him a batch of snickerdoodles. Mixed the dough yesterday while making dinner and threw it in the fridge overnight. When I got up this morning, I baked them and, as he came in from the shed (we spent the night out there), I was taking the first batch out of the oven. I thought about breakfast in bed, but we're out of milk, even powdered milk and evaporated milk, for omelets. Cookies, it was. It's something, anyway.

I think my baking soda is on its last legs. My snicks were quite flat and kind of chewy. I didn't test the soda, just put it (and baking powder) on my grocery list. It's been a little over a year for both of them anyway.
  • Came back to the house, fed the girls, and emptied the dishwasher. I'll scoop in a bit.
  • The second of four loads of laundry is in the washer.
  • Put the shed back in order. We'll stay in the house this week.
  • Vacuum, swiffer, etc.
  • Finish up the grocery list; I think we're going to brave the elements on Tuesday. I've also been working on a Lowes list.
LTS3 LTS3 I'm going through the same thing. It seems that a package was "shipped' on April 28, but when I go to the shipping site, it still says that it's waiting for the package. It's supposed to start out with DHL, then finish up USPS. Why tell me it was shipped when it really wasn't? I have a weird feeling about this particular company anyway and I think I've been scammed. But we'll see.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I didn't actually get anything potted yesterday. Instead I

1) Moved my car out, swept garage bay. Brought in 2-wheeled garden cart to use for mixing potting soil.
2) Moved disintegrating pallets that were used for summer plant stands over to the edge of the upper parking area. I'd like to get them moved to the brush pile at the upper back edge of the property But Himself's shoulder is bothering him. However if he can hook the cart up to the ATV today (Monday) and drives I can load and unload.
3) Reset a new partial pallet in front of golden barberry. Himself reset the box / trellis / two smaller Arcosanti bells I bought when we were in Arizona with daughter / son in law / granddaughter / grandson in law on pallet. I reset a second partial pallet in front of it and moved the large turquoise glazed pot onto it. When planted it will have gold striped Bengal Tiger cannas.
4) Gave Himself a touch up haircut. Now that it is being done at home and he doesn't need to make an appointment / drive to hair salon / pay or tip he's allowed that maybe an every two week trim would be nice. Lucky me.
5) Made a very delicious dinner.

Today
1) I am waiting for the bed sheets to finish in the washer. I want to hang them outside so will do that before I get into the dirt. I'm switching over to summer bedding today.
2) Mix up potting soil for large containers - they're too heavy to move when filled so this is a fraught process that needs to be well thought out in advance.
3) Maybe move pallets.

So I should get to what I should be doing rather than being here on TCS. Hasta la vista (can you tell I'm thinking of fish tacos for dinner?)

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I didn't actually get anything potted yesterday. Instead I

1) Moved my car out, swept garage bay. Brought in 2-wheeled garden cart to use for mixing potting soil.
2) Moved disintegrating pallets that were used for summer plant stands over to the edge of the upper parking area. I'd like to get them moved to the brush pile at the upper back edge of the property But Himself's shoulder is bothering him. However if he can hook the cart up to the ATV today (Monday) and drives I can load and unload.
3) Reset a new partial pallet in front of golden barberry. Himself reset the box / trellis / two smaller Arcosanti bells I bought when we were in Arizona with daughter / son in law / granddaughter / grandson in law on pallet. I reset a second partial pallet in front of it and moved the large turquoise glazed pot onto it. When planted it will have gold striped Bengal Tiger cannas.
4) Gave Himself a touch up haircut. Now that it is being done at home and he doesn't need to make an appointment / drive to hair salon / pay or tip he's allowed that maybe an every two week trim would be nice. Lucky me.
5) Made a very delicious dinner.

Today
1) I am waiting for the bed sheets to finish in the washer. I want to hang them outside so will do that before I get into the dirt. I'm switching over to summer bedding today.
2) Mix up potting soil for large containers - they're too heavy to move when filled so this is a fraught process that needs to be well thought out in advance.
3) Maybe move pallets.

So I should get to what I should be doing rather than being here on TCS. Hasta la vista (can you tell I'm thinking of fish tacos for dinner?)
catapault I loved Arcosanti but I did not buy any bells. :silver:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S sweet jane flash You are teasing us, saying "the new marble wall mural my husband built" So where's the picture?

I have very much enjoyed our two visits to Arcosanti. Paolo Solieri had a vision, to be sure. The other four family members had not heard of the place but were willing to humor the old lady (me). They were very glad we went, after having seen the place. Quite some changes between our first visit and what it was like last year.

We've been to Arcosanti twice. First time was just the two of us on a huge loop around the state. This is the bell I bought that time.
It rings very well. Located halfway down the driveway, easy to hear up at the house.
BelleWood Bells_2014-09_Arco Sante.jpg
These are the two small bells I bought last year.
BelleWood in Bloom_2019-06_two small Arcosanti bells.jpg
Their tone is very good but so subdued you must be standing next to them when the wind blows in order to hear them.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
S sweet jane flash You are teasing us, saying "the new marble wall mural my husband built" So where's the picture?

I have very much enjoyed our two visits to Arcosanti. Paolo Solieri had a vision, to be sure. The other four family members had not heard of the place but were willing to humor the old lady (me). They were very glad we went, after having seen the place. Quite some changes between our first visit and what it was like last year.

We've been to Arcosanti twice. First time was just the two of us on a huge loop around the state. This is the bell I bought that time.
It rings very well. Located halfway down the driveway, easy to hear up at the house.
View attachment 332843
These are the two small bells I bought last year.
View attachment 332844
Their tone is very good but so subdued you must be standing next to them when the wind blows in order to hear them.
catapault those are very beautiful images. I adore all the greenery! I would post a picture of the wall if I knew how to transfer hard copy (photos) on this laptop, but I have no idea how to do that. I think I am the last holdout on getting a cell phone which I have been told is one way to do it. However I can paint you a picture with my words, I think. It is 10 foot tall by 8 foot wide (rectangular). The wood is redwood stained. There are many different sized marble & granite sizes in squares and rectangles. The colors of the stone include deep blue granite with gold flecks, grey and white splashed stones, orange with tan looking "splatters", deep green with ivory swirled across on a diagonal, pure white, some of the pieces look like there are flowers growing with their lavender & purple spattered colors; and a few more. Each piece of stone is surrounded by the redwood--making blocks of color. My spouse designed it himself. He just dreamed it up, did not ever see anything like it before. It looks pretty well balanced. The neighbor next door was admiring it (he & his wife own a hospice hospital) and he was wanting to build one like it for the patients to admire and enjoy. My husband said he was welcome to take as much of the pieces we have left as he wanted to for his project. However, I believe when he discovers how heavy the stone is he will decide on a lighter material. I did get it cleaned that day but I have not yet polished it. Still, the marble & granite were smooth to begin with so they are shiny. There is a great deal of foliage (bushes, trees) above it. Everyone who looks at it says "wow, you did that all alone? It is beautiful". They stay at least 6 feet away from us. (in my town it is required, as well as masks). We move away so they can inspect each panel up close but it is very beautiful from a distance as well. Thank you for your kind interest, catapault. ♥ :silver::). By the way, on another section of this site I have asked a question of everyone, you included. It is under "what's on your mind" so please read it and tell me what your favorite dances are- I really, really want to know.:bigeyes:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
C catapault I love your bells. I particularly like that they're not very noisy. But they're beautiful.
S sweet jane flash Your wall sounds beautiful. If you ever do manage to get a picture for online, I'd really love to see it.

Back to the house last night. I asked Molli if she was ready for bed. She had been on the back of the couch washing. She stopped dead and looked at me. I said, "Molli? Bed!" again. She said, "OK then!" and flew back the hallway. When Rick came to bed, the girls were all back there, sound asleep. I think they missed their bed.
  • Breakfast for the girls, made Rick's coffee, emptied the dishwasher, and am sitting back here with my coffee.
  • Measured the windowboxes at the shed to buy plastic liners before we plant anything. Also took pictures of the deck.
  • Errands: we have to hit the ATM for money, grocery shopping, and Lowes. Rick needs gas for the lawnmower and I need gas for the Tucson (I haven't driven the Tucson since the middle of February, I think!). I think I'm going to buy stain for the shed deck today.
  • If this doesn't turn into an all-day shopping trip, I have cannas that need to be planted. We always plant them along the eastern side of the pool, on the outside of the fence. I can work on that this afternoon.
We're not really crazy about the errands today. I don't want to go, but we're out of milk (even my powdered milk that I keep on hand "just in case") and I'm down to my last eight eggs. More importantly, the cats are down to 12 cans of cat food. It's time to grab some groceries. And since we're going to be out anyway, we're going to Lowes. Rick wants to get that second (and hopefully third) raised bed built and I really would like to get the deck stained before I start to do any major landscaping. Masks are ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.