My Feral And Rescued Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pair of woolen mittens where the top folds back to expose my fingers and I love them. Can use them when I'm out taking bird photos to use the camera!

Yay! I'll have to take care of the motion sickness since Moo is totally unimpressed with catnip. "What's all the excitement about with catnip? Meh" she says.

Good to hear Gypsy is doing so well! I will have to look up those Vancouver Vet videos since I have to take Waffles in for his rabies and other vax and always sooooo traumatic for him to be put in the carrier. Glad you mentioned this!
Vancouver Vet has some great videos but I was wrong about the carrier one, it is Fredrick Cat Vet on you tube. The 1st time I had to take her to the vet solo (only the 2nd she had been taken by us and she had chewed her way out of a cardboard one the 1st time with both of us to deal with it) We didn't know how nice she was and I was terrified and the more how-to videos I watched the more terrified I got. Until I ran across Dr Fredrick. It was just so smooth and non eventful! This is the video info.

Blind Superman Technique - An Easy Way to Get Your Cat in the Carrier
63K views9 years ago

Frederick Cat Vet

Blind Superman Technique: An easy way to get your cat into the carrier for travel. Don't let your cat know anything different is ...

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird I hope you are not getting snow and experiencing a cold snap in your neck of the woods. I will be getting a lot of snow over here. I am giving all the outdoor kitties lots of Kitten Chow and looking out for them. I hope this storm passes quickly and we get less snow than expected.

Stay safe everyone. I hope you are not getting crazy weather where you are.

I gonna need a bigger shovel. 😲
giphy.gif

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird I hope you are not getting snow and experiencing a cold snap in your neck of the woods. I will be getting a lot of snow over here. I am giving all the outdoor kitties lots of Kitten Chow and looking out for them. I hope this storm passes quickly and we get less snow than expected.

Stay safe everyone. I hope you are not getting crazy weather where you are.

I gonna need a bigger shovel. 😲
View attachment 409093
:spew:Or more cats :crackup::lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
neely neely Oh boy! Another yes to the RSVP! (Reserved Space for Vibrating Purrs) Do you like a spot by the window?
I love sitting by the window and like fresh air so will keep it open. Maybe I can convince Banjo to sit on my lap. :lovecat3: I can bring a large insulated thermos of coffee to share. What's everyone else going to bring???

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I love sitting by the window and like fresh air so will keep it open. Maybe I can convince Banjo to sit on my lap. :lovecat3: I can bring a large insulated thermos of coffee to share. What's everyone else going to bring???
I'll bring hot chocolate for the non-coffee drinkers.

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Vancouver Vet has some great videos but I was wrong about the carrier one, it is Fredrick Cat Vet on you tube. The 1st time I had to take her to the vet solo (only the 2nd she had been taken by us and she had chewed her way out of a cardboard one the 1st time with both of us to deal with it) We didn't know how nice she was and I was terrified and the more how-to videos I watched the more terrified I got. Until I ran across Dr Fredrick. It was just so smooth and non eventful! This is the video info.

Blind Superman Technique - An Easy Way to Get Your Cat in the Carrier
63K views9 years ago

Frederick Cat Vet

Blind Superman Technique: An easy way to get your cat into the carrier for travel. Don't let your cat know anything different is ...
Looks like a good technique, thanks for the video!. The main problem with Waffles is getting ahold of him to put him in the carrier. He was semi-feral and I haven't been able to just pick him up since adopting him (and have worked like a glacier slowly moving millimeter by millimeter to acclimate him to being lifted.) He only goes into a carrier voluntarily to grab a treat real quick then back out in a flash.
So it's waiting till he gets on my lap then scruff and football hold- and he's a master at squirming his way out and then it's all over for the next couple of days. He has also learned what a towel means! Could only cover him with a towel once or twice. But I usually have done the butt first through the top opening.
He goes in Tuesday afternoon next week so I'm going to try the Blind Superman and see if that is easier than butt first!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since I'm flying in, I won't bring car drive snacks, but will bring some "only in Canada" treats like Lays Ketchup chips, and Caramilk and Aero chocolate bars. :yummy:

1643462602367.png

Vancouver Vet has some great videos but I was wrong about the carrier one, it is Fredrick Cat Vet on you tube.
Thanks for posting the video. It's the same technique my vet suggested for getting Ruby into the carrier, which does work, however, the cats in the video don't have a problem with being picked up, so it looks much calmer than when I try it with Ruby.

Looks like a good technique, thanks for the video!. The main problem with Waffles is getting ahold of him to put him in the carrier. He was semi-feral and I haven't been able to just pick him up since adopting him
Ruby is proof that the technique really does work. However, it is different when you have a cat that doesn't like being picked up or restrained. i.e. Ruby :winkcat:

So what I do with her, is quietly put the carrier on the kitchen cabinet. Then go pick up Ruby. She hates being picked up, so she'll struggle to get down, meaning there's a chance of accidentally getting scratched. So wear long sleeves, glasses (or sunglasses) and maybe even gloves. Unlike the video, I don't hold Ruby up to me, but away from my body. Once we're at the carrier, I point her towards the opening, and she immediately goes inside to the back (to turn around) during which time I close the carrier door.

Good luck Tuesday, with Waffles. Let us know how it goes.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I'm flying in, I won't bring car drive snacks, but will bring some "only in Canada" treats like Lays Ketchup chips, and Caramilk and Aero chocolate bars. :yummy:

View attachment 409151

Thanks for posting the video. It's the same technique my vet suggested for getting Ruby into the carrier, which does work, however, the cats in the video don't have a problem with being picked up, so it looks much calmer than when I try it with Ruby.

Ruby is proof that the technique really does work. However, it is different when you have a cat that doesn't like being picked up or restrained. i.e. Ruby :winkcat:

So what I do with her, is quietly put the carrier on the kitchen cabinet. Then go pick up Ruby. She hates being picked up, so she'll struggle to get down, meaning there's a chance of accidentally getting scratched. So wear long sleeves, glasses (or sunglasses) and maybe even gloves. Unlike the video, I don't hold Ruby up to me, but away from my body. Once we're at the carrier, I point her towards the opening, and she immediately goes inside to the back (to turn around) during which time I close the carrier door.

There is a store in East Aurora- Vidler's- that carries many of those 'Canadian only' snacks. The last time I was there they had the Caramilk and Aero bars, as well as some others. Living so close to the border, there is a demand that the retailers are only too happy to supply. We even have restaurants with poutine on their menus.
Edit: I just remembered that they had Weetabix cereal too.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There is a store in East Aurora- Vidler's- that carries many of those 'Canadian only' snacks. The last time I was there they had the Caramilk and Aero bars, as well as some others. Living so close to the border, there is a demand that the retailers are only too happy to supply. We even have restaurants with poutine on their menus.
Edit: I just remembered that they had Weetabix cereal too.
Oh, that's cool. Anything in particular that you like? Caramilk bars don't seem as good as they used to be, but I still LOVE Aero bars. Don't think I've ever had Weetabix cereal. And I know I've never had poutine, as the combo just doesn't appeal to me at all.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
probiatic/ prebiotic in a Churu
What is a Churu? :think:

Mitsy is not only lovely, but a very loving mom! She's a lot like my mom
Wish I had a mom like that. But at least I have Jcatbird Jcatbird which helps a lot. :hugs:

How I wish I was still able to afford a larger furmily. I miss the patter of *lots of* little catfeet barrelling up and down the hallway.
Yes, too bad so many wishes depend upon money. 😢

My ex told me that ketchup/catsup/whatever that awful stuff is, is grey and they add the red coloring to make it palatable. So it could be made from platanos or other bananas..
Yes, bananas are more plentiful and cheaper to get over there, I read. 🍌 I thought the red in Ketchup was tomatoes! 😲

hope this storm passes quickly and we get less snow than expected.
I hope the power doesn't go out in NY. :crossfingers:

I can bring a large insulated thermos of coffee to share. What's everyone else going to bring???
Cappuccino, Hot sauce, Cheese. ☕🌶🧀

I, being from the DEEP South, shall bring cheese straws
What are cheese straws? 🤔

will bring some "only in Canada" treats
Bring some cheese curds! 🧀

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a good technique, thanks for the video!. The main problem with Waffles is getting ahold of him to put him in the carrier. He was semi-feral and I haven't been able to just pick him up since adopting him (and have worked like a glacier slowly moving millimeter by millimeter to acclimate him to being lifted.) He only goes into a carrier voluntarily to grab a treat real quick then back out in a flash.
So it's waiting till he gets on my lap then scruff and football hold- and he's a master at squirming his way out and then it's all over for the next couple of days. He has also learned what a towel means! Could only cover him with a towel once or twice. But I usually have done the butt first through the top opening.
He goes in Tuesday afternoon next week so I'm going to try the Blind Superman and see if that is easier than butt first!
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:🤞🤞🤞 for next Wednesday 💝😽.
I tried to purrito Gypsy in a towel for the 1st time last Saturday, dismal failure and I doubt I'd be able to get her on a towel again. Thank Heavens I found the video from Vancouver Vet since she was getting 3 squirteys a day

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:🤞🤞🤞 for next Wednesday 💝😽.
I tried to purrito Gypsy in a towel for the 1st time last Saturday, dismal failure and I doubt I'd be able to get her on a towel again. Thank Heavens I found the video from Vancouver Vet since she was getting 3 squirteys a day
Squirteys??

pearl99

Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, so that explains it! My ex told me that ketchup/catsup/whatever that awful stuff is, is grey and they add the red coloring to make it palatable.
My grandmother always made her own homemade ketchup and it was always deep red. I have her recipe and no dye/red coloring in it at all. Just tomatoes, onions, sugar, salt, mustard, cinnamon, celery seed, cayenne pepper, vinegar.

Thanks. I will be sitting in my recliner chair with the legs up about 3 hours before, he always comes over to sit with me then, and I can get him scruffed and football holded then have him in the bathroom till time to go.
I hope he cooperates with getting on the chair! I may need a glass of wine before to calm me down because he always senses anxiety 😰.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wish I had a mom like that. But at least I have Jcatbird Jcatbird Jcatbird Jcatbird which helps a lot. :hugs:
Darlin, many of us here would have been better with a cat for a mom...although, Jcatbird Jcatbird is as close as you can get with two feet!

You all realize that we're basically planning a Cat Con of our very own, right?

OH OH OH! It snowed last night. Fell like a son of a gun, but did not stick. Kept falling until almost 10:00. I went to breakfast at 8:00 with a friend, and we got a window seat so we could watch it. Not much, but it did my heart good!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will bring tortillas (corn) and salsa (Tapatio is my brand). Maybe some pita (bread) and hummus (I like pine nut but spicy would do, too, or red pepper). Fresh fruit in season.
I loathe catsup/ketchup and don't see how anyone can eat it. But when a group from Georgia took over a business I worked for, some of us would go out to dinner with some of them and they put it on EVERYTHING. It was kind of the Frank's Hot Sauce of its time, I guess. :fear:
Yeah, a loving mom makes SO much difference in life. A loving dad is wonderful, too, and I always pray that if people have kids, they stay together, because THAT makes so much difference.
Growing up, our furmily were always male. So I never had a cat mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.