Krista's Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh! Duck barf! I think it was a hairball with food. There was definitely a big chunky piece that was probably hair but I didn't pick through the paper towel. But I also think it was a hairball more than an IBD barf because there were no aftershocks. She coughed it up and she was done.

I found a few grams of a raw duck mix (I think Better In The Raw?) that she was willing to eat. I didn't want to start a new can of Rawz for her yet because she should enjoy the start of a new can and not be portion-limited because she just barfed. In about half an hour, I'll open the new can.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“Not holding a grudge?”

She polished this in five minutes flat. Same portion or rabbit or turkey would take several trips over hours and still might not look this clean.
A3A48C92-EB4C-4E0A-A610-AD87AE16411C.jpeg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:dizzycat:
This is how I feel after that feed shift.

Walk in the door at 7. Prep and plate food for Krista at 7:05. She polished the plate. Pooped a box. Really polished the plate. Peed the other box. Settles into a groom. Look at watch. 7:15.

I finish up work. She is pacing the apartment. She’s still hungry. Finally peel away from TCS to come to front room.

“More food for me?”

“Uh...you did barf earlier so you’re down a meal. Don’t tell Daddy [me—like I’m also the good parent to go to when the bad one says no] but I’ll sneak you an extra quarter portion. You’re looking kinda skinny anyway.”

She polished off another 11 g (third portion rather than a quarter) and thankfully she already pooped and peed. She climbs onto bed, kneads and grooms the blanket. And finally, the peaceful furry cinnamon bun.

Looks at watch. 8:15.

This is pretty typical (minus the extra portion.). So much activity out of her every feed. I kind of hover (in earshot anyway) to make sure she has enough clean boxes if it’s going to be a three box night. (I still only have two.)

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
“Not holding a grudge?”

She polished this in five minutes flat. Same portion or rabbit or turkey would take several trips over hours and still might not look this clean.
View attachment 279381
Good Krista.

On a side note - Want-that-plate. Do you remember where you got it from?

This is how I feel after that feed shift.

Walk in the door at 7. Prep and plate food for Krista at 7:05. She polished the plate. Pooped a box. Really polished the plate. Peed the other box. Settles into a groom. Look at watch. 7:15.

I finish up work. She is pacing the apartment. She’s still hungry. Finally peel away from TCS to come to front room.

“More food for me?”

“Uh...you did barf earlier so you’re down a meal. Don’t tell Daddy [me—like I’m also the good parent to go to when the bad one says no] but I’ll sneak you an extra quarter portion. You’re looking kinda skinny anyway.”

She polished off another 11 g (third portion rather than a quarter) and thankfully she already pooped and peed. She climbs onto bed, kneads and grooms the blanket. And finally, the peaceful furry cinnamon bun.

Looks at watch. 8:15.

This is pretty typical (minus the extra portion.). So much activity out of her every feed. I kind of hover (in earshot anyway) to make sure she has enough clean boxes if it’s going to be a three box night. (I still only have two.)
That sounds like a perfect hour. :-)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a side note - Want-that-plate. Do you remember where you got it from?
I got that plate and its sister from the thrift store down the street. I have two plates from that set. One is "working" (e.g. Krista is eating off of it) and the other is drying from being the working plate on the last shift. It's a pretty good system. And if we ever need to switch to another plate (or plates), I have a nearly endless supply just down the street for about 99 cents a plate.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that same plate as well. You can buy them at Walmart. Mine is a "Corelle" (I hope the spelling is right). It is not made out of glass, but is breakable if you say, "slam it on the floor?" Don't advise that, lol. Another words, not easily breakable. Katy enjoys eating on it as well.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back of the plate. Typical thrift store find. I don’t even know where the The Palm Restaurant is.
image.jpg

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you daftcat75 daftcat75 and mazie mazie (and of course, the kitties that love the plates) I'm on a mission tonight now. :-) Note to self: don't slam on the floor to test durability. :D

I can't believe how well Krista is doing with everything! You're an excellent parent! :heartshape:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you daftcat75 daftcat75 and mazie mazie (and of course, the kitties that love the plates) I'm on a mission tonight now. :-) Note to self: don't slam on the floor to test durability. :D

I can't believe how well Krista is doing with everything! You're an excellent parent! :heartshape:
She’s a good cat. I read a lot about a-hole cats. But she’s not one of them. She’s so sweet and forgiving of all I’ve put her through. That makes it all a lot easier. I don’t think I could put this much effort into an a-hole cat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4:30pm: "Yes, I'm late for your meal. My meeting ran long."
4:35pm: "Here you go! 34 grams of your ducky favorite!"
4:36pm:
:whiskers:
"Something wrong? You barely touched it."
:runningcat:
[Pee break]
4:40 pm:
:dancingblackcat:
"Are you over duck already?"
"You have to poo? Yeah, I'm not as keen on eating when I've got one in the chamber."
:runningcat:
[Poop break]
"Thought so!"
5:30pm:

Took her a couple of breaks but she did finish her plate, her pee, her poop, and now she's got her nap on next to me in the office.
:petcat:

I have to admit I got a little nervous when she first walked away after like three bites.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista after last meal: "I couldn't eat another bite. Ever again." *squint face* into a nap.

Three hours later: "Let me sing you the feed me song! I could sing this song all night long."

Another clean plate! I am loving this as much as she is.

We might even see the needle move when I weigh her on Monday.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m the Jewish mother of cat dads.

“You look skinny. Are you eating enough? I know you just had a dinner but let me give you a little more.”

She was looking hungry after I ate my dinner in front of her. This is why I like to eat before her. I figured the best way to get a couple hours of sleep before next feed would be to give her another quarter portion to tie her over for a couple hours.
:purr:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I woke up to Krista sitting on top of me.
I’m a side sleeper, the little acrobat!

I didn’t have it in me to hold her back another hour. I just want to feed her so I can go back to sleep.
:clapcat:
But first let’s see how many litter boxes she’ll fill this feeding shift.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm bringing back Krista's less than flattering nickname.
nervous2.jpg

She pulls up halfway from her meal.

"But I thought we just did this 12 hours ago?"

It was a three litterbox morning. I still only have two. Except for some scoots, everything managed to make it into the boxes.
:yess:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of her meals have more of that jelly stuff that's in the can than others. I figure Rawz would not put anything not worth feeding in that can so I like to get every last bit of it out of the can and into the cat. I'm not sure her gut or butt appreciates those extra jelly meals.

Oh. I'm looking at the ingredients and I'm thinking it's congealed salmon oil.

Oh. This is the only flavor (of the three she can eat) that has salmon oil.

I suspect she has a salmon sensitivity as part of her IBD but that's usually protein vs fat.

"Salmon Oil is packed full of omega-3 fatty acids. It has been shown to soothe skin irritations and other effects of skin allergies and helps to improve overall skin and coat condition. It has also been shown to boost the immune system, aid in joint function and prevent arthritis."

I can get onboard with that. I've been trying to get omega-3's or anything into her diet to help her arthritis. That could explain why she seems to be moving better lately.

Not all of her poops are this oily. I will have to monitor how much of that oil stuff I put into each meal.

I wonder if this is also why her hairballs seem to be increasing in frequency. If I pour grease and hair down the sink, I clog the pipes. Does it work the same with cats and hair? Well, I know the solution (egg yolk), but I fear the repercussions.

So much theory to test and observe here!

:clapcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.